Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,898 members, 7,814,035 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. (6591 Views)

The costly mistake many ladies make when choosing a spouse. / Knowing 'God's Will' In Choosing A Partner? / Going Back To Nigeria To Find A Mate, Is It A Good Idea? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Nobody: 9:59pm On Dec 07, 2012
I am going to create a related thread sometime later with more moderate options. For now though, this question has extreme options.

Women: you are approached by two suitors. One is the most handsome man you have ever seen and right off the bat you are physically and sexually attracted to him. Problem is that he is very poor and has a low paying job (gateman, gala seller, laborer, pick one) that can barely feed and take care of him financially. His chances of exiting his financial or social class is slim to none. The other guy has amassed extreme wealth reaching billions of US dollars from his private equity firm and is sure to even reach greater heights as he navigates his high flying career. You know that with this guy, you are assured of an opulent life, stability and status for your unborn children, opportunities to advance yourself by meeting and greeting the most powerful people in the world, and educational enrichment only accessible with money. Problem is that you have no attraction to this guy because he is ugly, old and shriveled. Bedroom dynamics is sure to be zero!

Who would you choose?

Men: Same scenario as with the women. Only
that you are about to chase two prospective ladies. One so breathtakingly beautiful and the pinnacle of what you find attractive in a woman, but broke and "low class" unrefined and "razz." The other woman so wealthy, refined, classy and influential but so old and ugly. Neither women will likely leave their social standing.

Who would you chase?

Who would you go with and give a chance of love with? The one you are attracted to, who is so beautiful that you can't breathe, for which a chance of procreating beautiful children is certain or the one who made something of himself/herself financially and socially through honest means despite looks (self-made wealth).
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Nobody: 10:01pm On Dec 07, 2012
No cheating:

You can't have one and keep the other on the side.

This is a lifelong commitment, for good or bad.

In short you only have one choice.

Another thing - physical attraction is NOT love. You have a chance of developing genuine love with both choices.
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by ATMC(f): 10:07pm On Dec 07, 2012
Mh, did i hear you say d rich guy is not good behind closed doors? If he was intelligent enough to make money d way he did then i'll believe his intelligence will also make some impact in d other side. Meanwhile, physical attraction is skindeep so i don't think d gala hawkerr will move me like dt seeing his future is bleak.
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Nobody: 10:09pm On Dec 07, 2012
ATMC: Mh, did i hear you say d rich guy is not good behind closed doors? If he was intelligent enough to make money d way he did then i'll believe his intelligence will also make some impact in d other side. Meanwhile, physical attraction is skindeep so i don't think d gala hawkerr will move me like dt seeing his future is bleak.

Yes bedroom skills are horrible in additional to his ugly looks. This scenario is to be as extreme as possible.

Who would you choose?
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by claremont(m): 10:19pm On Dec 07, 2012
I will choose the beautiful but poor lady, being poor is reversible. Money can be used to mask ugliness but an ugly gene is irredeemable, it will definitely be transferred from one generation to the next.

2 Likes

Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Nobody: 10:21pm On Dec 07, 2012
claremont: I will choose the beautiful but poor lady, being poor is reversible. Money can be used to mask ugliness but an ugly gene is irredeemable, it will definitely be transferred from one generation to the next.

I already stated that the chances of her leaving her social class is unlikely. 99.9% chance that she will forever be poor.

Will you still choose her knowing this?
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Nobody: 10:24pm On Dec 07, 2012
The whole point here is that the two options are as extreme and polar as can be.
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Nobody: 11:54pm On Dec 07, 2012
Its difficult because I don't look @ wealth or physical good looks. What attracts me is his xter. Esp his ability to talk to me with respect, not like 190-the-clown
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Archmed(m): 12:00am On Dec 08, 2012
That Ugly, old and impotent man will look like dat handsome cute....in short,Mr World guy to Naija ladies with his billions of dollars..infact make him d*ck dey commot maggots sef...same with Naija guys.Buh come to think of it OP,did u say BILLIONS Of DOLLARS??...omo,anybody in d world will fall 4 that.Even Beyonce..apologies Naijababes..*winks*

1 Like

Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Years(m): 12:05am On Dec 08, 2012
I thought ATTRACTION is the basis of every relationship
But althesame, ill choose the pretty poor lady and brush her up since am financially BALANCED myself.

1 Like

Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Nobody: 12:07am On Dec 08, 2012
how is it not possible to be rich later if you are poor today? i will go with the poor lady as defined by you. i dont need an ugly rich lady to call a wife, all i need is a woman that i will love, and live comfortably with

1 Like

Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by nipeks001(m): 12:17am On Dec 08, 2012
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Abbott(m): 12:21am On Dec 08, 2012
What silly, unrealistic scenario is this? Well, you said this is an outlandish scenario and I add, it is also impossible.

3 Likes

Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Nasri100(m): 12:30am On Dec 08, 2012
You guys and Naija girls sef lol You too try and be wealthy na cheesy
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by heed101(m): 12:48am On Dec 08, 2012
This is an extremist view. I would go for d poor girl because I am 100% sure that I would change her status. #shikena

1 Like

Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by pappy2000: 1:04am On Dec 08, 2012
I will go for the poor good looking lady because a woman must firstly be physicaaly attracted to me , character will come later
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Nobody: 1:37am On Dec 08, 2012
claremont: I will choose the beautiful but poor lady, being poor is reversible. Money can be used to mask ugliness but an ugly gene is irredeemable, it will definitely be transferred from one generation to the next.
nice one
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Nobody: 1:41am On Dec 08, 2012
Years: I thought ATTRACTION is the basis of every relationship
But althesame, ill choose the pretty poor lady and brush her up since am financially BALANCED myself.
d world wuld be a beta place if men like u still exist.
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Nobody: 2:55am On Dec 08, 2012
Abbott: What silly, unrealistic scenario is this? Well, you said this is an outlandish scenario and I add, it is also impossible.

It is unrealistic in the sense of the polarity of choices I just gave you.

But the descriptions of the suitors/ladies, not so much. Most billionaires never leave their standing as billionaires, and most of the poor never come out of poverty.

The aim of this thread is to know exactly what people value when a proverbial gun is placed to their head: Wealth/luxury or beauty.

2 Likes

Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Nobody: 2:57am On Dec 08, 2012
And when I say physical attraction or beauty I mean just that. Not love.
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Nobody: 3:03am On Dec 08, 2012
Ok - So it's mostly guys who have answered this thread.

And so far what is shown here is that men tend to place a woman's physical beauty really high. Status, refinement, and ability to create wealth (which denotes high intelligence and acheivement) comes second over beauty/sexiness - at least as far as men are concerned.

Keep it coming.

How come no girls are partaking in this?

2 Likes

Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by fukcwitme(f): 3:06am On Dec 08, 2012
Ill take the sexy as-s poor niggah anyday over the ugly as-s rich mofo. I have my own mula so I dont need a man to spend on me. Since my income will be more than enough, we can put our money together and live a comfy sextacular life.

3 Likes

Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Nobody: 3:13am On Dec 08, 2012
dahonestboss: how is it not possible to be rich later if you are poor today? i will go with the poor lady as defined by you. i dont need an ugly rich lady to call a wife, all i need is a woman that i will love, and live comfortably with

Who is to say that you will not come to love the ugly rich lady?

You are only physically attracted to the hot and pretty one. Nothing more.
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by cr8v(f): 3:52am On Dec 08, 2012
I have a very keen sense of perception. I can tell your future by relating with you. I know that a gateman with enough character and mindset of an achiever can be a General Manager tomoro while a rich money-miss-road General Manager who has no character can degenerate to a Gate Man tomoro. So I look out for internal qualities. They are priceless
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Oluwateledemi: 3:59am On Dec 08, 2012

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Do you wish to Livebetalife?

Tired of relying on Your Parent / Friends?

Then join
[liveBETAlife on facebook] now
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by Nobody: 4:06am On Dec 08, 2012
Actually there's a 3rd option. One can marry the rich man and keep the poor one as a lover. That's what most women married to all these rich men do. If you have no conscience then you can actually eat your cake and still have it. Have all the money with the rich husband/wife and good sexual relationship with the poor one on the side.

In fact for a man, he can go ahead and marry the 2. That way the rich woman's money will take care of the 3 of them...lol
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by esere826: 4:27am On Dec 08, 2012
@OP

with such scenario,
I nack the pretty girl, but never get married to anyone
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by gabriel212: 5:51am On Dec 08, 2012
I would rather go for the BEAUTIFUL lady cos my financial status will lift her n it is the man duty to provide for his home so I look at her not poor.
Attraction is first thing guy look for in any lady.
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by naiko: 6:01am On Dec 08, 2012
@ tatianna09,the scenario you painted is exactly what's happening in the family's home of our honourable Nigeria senator.he can't fire,joystick performances below but the fine,sweet under 30 young wife's picking her grove down at portharcourt with a broke ass fellow that i know. oga de work hard steady for abuja de steal our money but madam coms to town steady to get her system fired up.
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by choiceman(m): 6:13am On Dec 08, 2012
I will choose the ugly one. Money to spend, no rival I.e peace of mind
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by ATMC(f): 7:11am On Dec 08, 2012
nnenna.1:
Ok - So it's mostly guys who have answered this thread.

And so far what is shown here is that men tend to place a woman's physical beauty really high. Status, refinement, and ability to create wealth (which denotes high intelligence and acheivement) comes second over a beauty/sexiness - at least as far as men are concerned.

Keep it coming.

How come no girls are partaking in this?
didn't you see my comment or you didn't understand it babe?
Re: When Choosing A Mate: Wealth Or Beauty/attraction. by xyoung: 7:13am On Dec 08, 2012
@all...let's analyze Logically
Most guys here say de wil choose d poor and beautiful woman inorder to enrich her in d future but remember dat d rich man in d situation is very ugly too..meaning this is a case of ugly rich man choosing beautiful poor lady which according to the ladies here will go for handsome poor gateman leading to the former beautiful lady grabbin as much money as possible to search for a handsome poor dude
So inorder words, the situational question posted by the OP is sure to end in doom in all situation
THIS QUESTION CAN ONLY BE ANALYZED LOGICALLY

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Perfet Yansh :-) / Check Out This Beautiful Chubby Women Showing Off In Lovely Pictures / One Of The Reasons I Will Never Get Married

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.