Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,796 members, 7,810,074 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade (12202 Views)

Amaechi Approves Commencement Of Port Harcourt-Aba Mass Transit Train Service / Osun Government Provides Free Train Service For Sallah / Lagos-Kano Mass Transit & Fuel-Haulage Trains Begins Friday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by Nobody: 4:24am On Dec 09, 2012
Majority of the food eaten in Lagos and by extension some other parts of the south, come from the north. The first implication of this development is that it will make movement of food items from the north cheaper and the end user cost of those food items will come down. The bulk of the cost of food items in the south is accounted for by TRANSPORTATION (traders can always confirm this). Therefore, cheaper transport means cheaper food.
Also the train will ease pressure from the roads, making the roads last longer.
Some argue that these trains are old and slow. This is not altogether correct. Some of those trains(especially the long distance ones) have economy and executive/business class(with AC) and can do a speed of 62km per hr. The speed is not fantastic but most middle and low income commuters will chose those trains ahead of buses any day, any time, because of safety and cost.
The BEAUTY of the ongoing transformation in the rail sector is that rehabilitation of the old tracks did not stop construction of NEW FAST tracks like the Abuja-Kaduna and Lagos-Ibadan-Abuja standard rail line currently ongoing. The FANTASTIC thing about the govt of GEJ is there are no POLITICAL PROJECTS.
May also use this opportunity to commend the minister of transport and the head of NRC, both of whom have been doing a fantastic job in the railway sector.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by sarutobie(m): 4:55am On Dec 09, 2012
born2fuck: 1. I hope say boko haram no go lure themselves come lagos
2.I hope say boko haram no go blow the train
3.Anybody wey dem born him papa well make them enter the train, you are on your own
4. They have make easy acceess to bbring hausas to lagos, this bunch of people fighting us everywhere, dem go kukuma loads their yeye cow inside train come lagos.
5. This is the saddest news and a threats to nigeria, why not train to abuja even dem wan pick anywhere in hausa republic
What kind of ignorant talk are you spewing?
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by tayoccu(m): 5:00am On Dec 09, 2012
@op
I've heard about to begin before,
And everytime I hear that phrase, I visit the nearest train station, only to find out it is a lie.
The furthest point trains travel for now is ilorin, and it takes 7-11 hours to complete a journey that would take 3 1/2-4 1/2 by bus, and costs half the fare by road.
The ressurection of the rail service is a welcome development, but in my honest opinion, the NRC should focus on improving its services before expanding it's coverage area.
The NRC should also sensitize people on the dangers of conducting their business on the rail line. There was an incident in May when a fulani herdsman tried to cross the track before the train got to where he was, he lived to tell the tale, but lost most of his cattle.
Its quite unfortunate that the pictures I have are too large to be attached, will scale them down and attatch later.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by Nobody: 5:20am On Dec 09, 2012
It seems this rail line is part of the "corridor to the sea".
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by Elueme: 5:33am On Dec 09, 2012
Hmmm. GEJ dis will be a good one in your kitty. Pls, don't fail in your effort to stabilise power supply in the country. Take it as your honour, continue improving the electoral system and you will be that hero, song or unsong.
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by eldoradoxx: 5:43am On Dec 09, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: I've never doubted the committment of the CLUEFUL govt of GEJ to RECONSTRUCTING the decayed and ROTTEN infrastructure left behind by clueless past govts.
GEJ seems to have more clue in his perceived cluelessness than most Nigerians like you. Very soon I can travel to Lagos from Abuja in 3hours(according to Transport Minister) all thanks to a clueless president. Electricity has tremendously also improved in many areas over the past 1 year, also all thanks to Mr clueless , if our past presidents were these clueless like GEJ, I guess we would have gradually transformed as a nation.

8 Likes

Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by Royals1st: 6:00am On Dec 09, 2012
House abgi read well oo na Man-O-War this ppl wan use join police aha waiting Man-O-War know?
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by Kobojunkie: 6:10am On Dec 09, 2012
tayoccu: @op
I've heard about to begin before,
And everytime I hear that phrase, I visit the nearest train station, only to find out it is a lie.
The furthest point trains travel for now is ilorin, and it takes 7-11 hours to complete a journey that would take 3 1/2-4 1/2 by bus, and costs half the fare by road..

Really??
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by chochoman: 6:24am On Dec 09, 2012
Telez: Thats gud
A likely Boko Haram target.
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by Royals1st: 6:30am On Dec 09, 2012
The managing director said further that adequate security would be put in place with the collaboration of the police and Man-O-War before the commencement of the service. Oga Man-O-War can't do nothing oo Man-O-War way no dey carry gun abi dem do dey use gun police way dey gun no try at all so forget Man-O-War oooo or try girls gard na Man-O-War go face boko abi?
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by Kobojunkie: 6:39am On Dec 09, 2012
eldoradoxx: GEJ seems to have more clue in his perceived cluelessness than most Nigerians like you. Very soon I can travel to Lagos from Abuja in 3hours(according to Transport Minister) all thanks to a clueless president.

How do you intend to do that? Fly by rail in 1970's locomotives? undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by temkemol: 6:49am On Dec 09, 2012
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by TwinTiger: 6:53am On Dec 09, 2012
grin
la furia: nice one, easy transport of goods and services. i hope it wont be 48hours from lagos to kano....

expect mass migration from kano to lagoss soon grin grin
.Boko tinz abi? grin
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by younglad007(m): 7:04am On Dec 09, 2012
For those complaining about the trains,we all know the trains are old and slow, that is why some weeks ago FEC approved the purchase of some fast trains that will operate from lagos to kano and to other destination,well i think the trains will be the country by next year
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by born2boink(m): 7:05am On Dec 09, 2012
sarutobie:
What kind of ignorant talk are you spewing?
Damn it Niggar, This is not the best time time be linking the terrorist state with lagos, if they have finish the project, they should suspend their service, if abubakar shekau and his fellow men enter lagos you fit wait? Me go kuku run go Ghana bi dat, why dem no link the train to aso rock make boko haram bomb dem finish, I hate north, I will never live there. West should work on destroy the bridges linking to north to making some more links

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 09, 2012
The boko boyz are coming!
That's if they don't blow up the train before it reaches the destination.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by babyboy3(m): 7:18am On Dec 09, 2012
la furia:
it does, but the problem is there is noexisting railway line from lagos to any part of the east presently, a new railway line will have to be constructed. the guys just repaired the already existing rail from lagos to kano.

Its still not a problem running new fleet or train carriages on that very old running rails is very dangerous, its cheaper to lay down a new rail, than to run a TVR on the rail looking hair line cracks or checking whether track condition is acceptable, then running a mining machine to grind down to chipped off edges so that its smooth to run on... its wont be easy repairing sleeper, clips, clipchairs, slide chairs, out dated points and blockjoint and ballast would need to be overhauled.
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by younglad007(m): 7:26am On Dec 09, 2012
born2fuck: I hate north, I will never live there. West should work on destroy the bridges linking to north to making some more links
guy just read wat u wrote and see if it makes any sense

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by tayoccu(m): 7:32am On Dec 09, 2012
eldoradoxx: GEJ seems to have more clue in his perceived cluelessness than most Nigerians like you. Very soon I can travel to Lagos from Abuja in 3hours(according to Transport Minister) all thanks to a clueless president. Electricity has tremendously also improved in many areas over the past 1 year, also all thanks to Mr clueless , if our past presidents were these clueless like GEJ, I guess we would have gradually transformed as a nation.

So you still believe everything you hear the govt say?
Ok let's wait and see.
On the issue of power, I don't know about your hood, but in my hood, electricity supply was much better under yar adua, it nose dived under GEJ, but its getting better now sha.

Kobojunkie:

Really??

Yes.
I even heard that its taken 13 hours before, na the one I experience I write.
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by born2boink(m): 7:36am On Dec 09, 2012
younglad007: guy just read wat u wrote and see if it makes any sense
are you abokolis? I hate north, not just hate them but my hatred develop till grown to real hatred, killing innocent christians, eastern and western with bombs,slaughtering everyday and they are chewing their stickbrush here in west peacefully and you expect me to love terrorist?

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by Smooyis(m): 7:37am On Dec 09, 2012
[/color][color=#990000]what effort are they making regarding security of passengers on board. We should be proactive for once in this country. A word is enough for the wise. All killings are not done by the original boko haram. So any bunch of criminals can go on killing spree or kidnapping in the train while in the bush. We must be security conscious to avoid such things. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by salafiyy: 7:40am On Dec 09, 2012
THIS ONE DEY RISKY O! SHEE, BOKO BOYS NO GO BLOW AM IF THEIR POLITICAL FATHERS WANT'EM TO
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by slimchimex(m): 7:43am On Dec 09, 2012
pls GEJ should construct lagos to ghana rail track...na dat one dey more impt to me abeg...
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by eldoradoxx: 7:44am On Dec 09, 2012
Kobojunkie:

How do you intend to do that? Fly by rail in 1970's locomotives? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Mr negative Nigerian, 3 weeks ago, Federal Executive Council approved the purchase of modern trains to ply the newly constructed route. The minister for transport said the trains to be acquired have the speed capacity of making Lagos from Abuja in 3hours with 5 stops. I think we should try and give this govt some little credit where it is trying even if its small, we are just extremely negative in this country and I hate that.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by omayyi: 7:48am On Dec 09, 2012
born2fuck: are you abokolis? I hate north, not just hate them but my hatred develop till grown to real hatred, killing innocent christians, eastern and western with bombs,slaughtering everyday and they are chewing their stickbrush here in west peacefully and you expect me to love terrorist?
you'd be surprised at the number of southerners still making their living in this same north u hate. Anyway, typical ignorance of a lagosian...everything start and ends in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by Nobody: 7:49am On Dec 09, 2012
eldoradoxx: Mr negative Nigerian, 3 weeks ago, Federal Executive Council approved the purchase of modern trains to ply the newly constructed route. The minister for transport said the trains to be acquired have the speed capacity of making Lagos from Abuja in 3hours with 5 stops. I think we should try and give this govt some little credit where it is trying even if its small, we are just extremely negative in this country and I hate that.
pls post the link so we can read it as well. thanks
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by eldoradoxx: 7:54am On Dec 09, 2012
saxywale:
pls post the link so we can read it as well. thanks
I don't ve the link, I watched the press briefing by the Transport Minister after the end of Federal Executive Council meeting 3 weeks back. The trains are modern and coming in from China and cost us billions of naira, so why should we remain this negative.
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by Mathewjoseph: 7:59am On Dec 09, 2012
Hmmm,boko haram next target will b lasgidi.train frm kano 2 lag?well i trust Opc.otumokpo nd comfirm juju yapa.make dem carry their stinking nd dirty almajiris unclean nyash enta west,na finish we go finish dem shikena,ma pipul d train stuff go start december 20.make una shine eyes o!
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by born2boink(m): 7:59am On Dec 09, 2012
omayyi :
you'd be surprised at the number of southerners still making their living in this same north u hate. Anyway, typical ignorance of a lagosian...everything start and ends in Lagos.
who cares about who try to survive in lion dem, you people have killed them finish
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by DisGuy: 8:00am On Dec 09, 2012
tayoccu: @op
[size=14pt]I've heard about to begin before,[/size]
The furthest point trains travel for now is ilorin, and it takes 7-11 hours to complete a journey that would take 3 1/2-4 1/2 by bus, and costs half the fare by road.
The ressurection of the rail service is a welcome development, but in my honest opinion, the NRC should focus on improving its services before expanding it's coverage area.
The NRC should also sensitize people on the dangers of conducting their business on the rail line. There was an incident in May when a fulani herdsman tried to cross the track before the train got to where he was, he lived to tell the tale, but lost most of his cattle.
Its quite unfortunate that the pictures I have are too large to be attached, will scale them down and attatch later.

Lagos-Kano To take of in June 2012

The Ministry of Transport has disclosed that rail transport from Lagos to Kano will commence fully by the end of June, and that the Onitsha river port will also be commissioned soon.

This was made known at a two-day forum in Lagos organised by the Ministry of Trade and Investment for industry stakeholders in the country to enhance growth and productivity in the sector.

The disclosure was made by the Permanent Secretary in the Transport Ministry, Mr Nebolisa Emodi, who represented the Minister of Transport, Mr Idris Umar, at the forum.

Lagos-Kano ready Before August

Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation, Mr. Adeseyi Sijuwade, said on Wednesday in Lagos the Lagos-Kano train service would be restored before the end of July.

Sijuwade told the News Agency of Nigeria that although the commencement of the Lagos-Kano train service had been postponed twice, “it would surely be restored this July”.

He said, “The railway engineers have just returned from the final inspection of the tracks; our contractors are now working on the minor adjustments recommended by the engineers.

“We are going to begin trial runs very soon, and most likely, full restoration of train services between Lagos and Kano before the end of this month—July 2012.”
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by Nobody: 8:04am On Dec 09, 2012
born2fuck: Damn it Niggar, This is not the best time time be linking the terrorist state with lagos, if they have finish the project, they should suspend their service, if abubakar shekau and his fellow men enter lagos you fit wait? Me go kuku run go Ghana bi dat, why dem no link the train to aso rock make boko haram bomb dem finish, I hate north, I will never live there. West should work on destroy the bridges linking to north to making some more links
But you eat food from the north?
Re: Lagos To Kano Mass Transit Train Service To Begin Operation - Sijuwade by DisGuy: 8:09am On Dec 09, 2012
NRC shifts take off

AGAIN, the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has postponed commencement of train services between Lagos and Kano to “either end of September or first week of October 2012”.

The train services earlier scheduled for take off during the first quarter this year, were postponed to July, then this month (August) before the new date was revealed to The Guardian yesterday.

Was actually looking forward to it during my holiday october-novemember ---nada, even the lagos to ilorin one didnt turn up on a tuesday!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Is 59 Years Old Today / Senator Yerima Defending Child Marriage (Video) / Stop Promoting B’haram Attacks Online, FG Warns Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.