Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,900 members, 7,828,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round (9088 Views)

Serena Williams Wins Her Sixth Wimbledon Title / FA Cup Sixth-round Draw (quarter Finals) / Pacquiao Knocked Out By Marquez In The Sixth Round (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by babyboy3(m): 7:10am On Dec 09, 2012
Pacquiao got knocked the Bleep out! Right hook from Marquez! #GameOver #IThought He Was Dead

With a crushing right hand, Juan Manuel Marquez knocked out Manny Pacquiao in the sixth round of a non-title bout in Las Vegas late Saturday, scoring a definitive victory after three previous bouts that ended in close judgments.

The fight came to an end 2:59 into the sixth round, after Juan Manuel Marquez landed a right hand to Manny Pacquiao's face, knocking him cold late Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Pacquiao went down face-first and lay motionless for a while, possibly unconscious, before eventually sitting up. It was called a technical knockout and Marquez declared the winner.

Pacquiao shook Marquez' hand after getting back on his feet.

The loss to his arch rival comes as a second severe blow to Pacquiao's career this year. He lost his title to American Timothy Bradley in June.

Saturday's fight was originally scheduled for 12 rounds. Both fighters scored a knock-down earlier in the fight with Marquez sending Pacquiao flying onto his back and Pacquiao tipping Marquez enough off of his feet to cause one of his gloves to touch the mat.
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/09/us/pacquiao-marquez-fourth-fight/index.html?eref=edition&utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=cnni
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by AfroBlue(m): 7:24am On Dec 09, 2012
Juan Manuel Marquez knocked out Manny Pacquiao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzB63P5GOUk

Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by DSB(m): 7:38am On Dec 09, 2012
hehehe...he got knocked the f out grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by DSB(m): 7:39am On Dec 09, 2012
and he wan fight mayweather...JOKER!!!
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by AfroBlue(m): 7:57am On Dec 09, 2012
Pacquiao Stunned in Sixth Round

By GREG BISHOP

LAS VEGAS — Manny Pacquiao never saw it coming. He never saw the punch that snapped his head back Saturday and dropped him to the canvas and left him sprawled there momentarily, face down, while his wife sobbed uncontrollably and the packed crowd at MGM’s Grand Garden Arena rose to its feet in shock.
With that, a rivalry known for its lack of a definitive triumph suddenly had the most definitive ending of them all.
Juan Manuel Marquez threw both arms skyward, as blood dripped from his nose. Bedlam ensued all around him, but Marquez said little. His face said it all.
His face summarized four fights between two men, two scored in favor of Pacquiao, another one a draw. His face summarized the release of nearly a decade of frustration. For the moment that Marquez waited for and obsessed over, for the moment he set the record straight.
“I threw the perfect punch,” he said.
It happened in the sixth round, after Pacquiao mounted the most furious of comebacks, after he overcame an early knockdown with a reciprocal knockdown, after he stung Marquez with a series of left hands. As Round 6 neared its conclusion, Marquez (55-6-1, 40 knockouts) crept in close to Pacquiao, and he came over the top from a short distance with that right.
The shot crumpled Pacquiao (54-5-2) to the canvas, right in front of Bob Arum, his promoter, who held his hands out as if he wanted to catch his prized fighter in his arms. Pacquiao’s wife, Jinkee, held her face in both hands and cried. It took her husband several minutes to rise, and when he did, his face was bruised under both eyes, which were vacant. He looked lost.
“We knew it would be a tough fight,” Marquez said. “But not an impossible fight.”
Pacquiao was sent to the hospital for a CAT scan.
Before the fight, Pacquiao strode deep inside Grand Garden Arena, through a maze of tunnels. He entered Dressing Room 2 at 5:40 p.m. This was about an hour earlier than for his previous foray against Marquez. Pacquiao was so early that he caught the drug testers off guard. One ran off to fetch a test kit. Pacquiao just smiled, his face filled with confidence, so sure.
The boxer embraced his trainer, Freddie Roach.
“How are you?” Roach asked him. “You good?”
Pacquiao simply nodded.
He wore a blue T-shirt imprinted with his likeness; T-shirt Manny held a microphone, wore boxing shoes and spun a basketball on an index finger. Real-life Manny sat in a chair below where highlights of his previous Marquez fights played on a flat-screen television.
As if to underscore his mood, Pacquiao did not wait for the HBO boxing analyst Larry Merchant to interview him. He grabbed the microphone and interviewed Merchant instead. Merchant ably played along. To one query, he said he wanted to confirm HE won the previous three fights against Marquez.
Pacquiao looked up, incredulous. “Wait,” he said, “that’s my line.”
Then it got surreal. In came Mitt Romney. Yes, that Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor and the presidential runner-up, every hair on his head in place. Romney, in fact, came in twice. His introduction was at once awkward and hilarious.
“Hi, Manny,” he said. “I’m Mitt Romney. I ran for president. I lost.”
All that really happened, truth stranger than fiction. Or just another Pacquiao fight.
The fighter himself stood coiled in his corner before the opening bell ring, his fists already raised. Then he charged at Marquez like a bull at a matador. Pacquiao fought the smarter fight early, as he tagged Marquez with lefts and avoided the right hand.
That all changed in the third round, all changed with one punch. It came from Marquez, who sent his right arm wide, over Pacquiao’s left glove, flush into Pacquiao’s face. The punch sent Pacquiao flying backward, on his backside. He climbed to his feet quickly, his face twisted into a sneer.
It marked the first time in 39 rounds between the fighters that Marquez had knocked Pacquiao down. If anything, it seemed to galvanize Pacquiao. Well, at least until the sixth.
Through three previous fights, through 36 razor-thin rounds, Pacquiao and Marquez had already staged a trilogy that lacked but one significant element: a clear outcome. In those bouts, Pacquiao did not lose. But he did not exactly win, either. His Marquez tally consisted of two victories and one draw and enough doubt to make a rare fourth fight compelling enough to stage.
Boxing history is much like blockbuster movies in that regard. They are plenty of trilogies, three meetings between two fighters that defined careers. A fourth fight is more uncommon. It happened with Sugar Ray Robinson and Gene Fullmer, with Jersey Joe Walcott and Ezzard Charles, with Bobby Chacon and Rafael Limon and in a handful of other instances.
Pacquiao did not want a fourth bout, not initially. Nor did Roach. Marquez, among the best counterpunches of his era, often befuddled Pacquiao with stylistic kryptonite. He waited until Pacquiao came to him. And when Pacquiao, against Roach’s instructions, shifted left and led with jabs, Marquez countered over the top with stinging straight right hands.
Marquez arrived here like some boxing Popeye, his body bigger, his muscles carved from long hours in the gym. The questionable past of his trainer, Angel Guillermo Heredia, an admitted steroids dealer who testified for the government in the Balco scandal, only added to rampant speculation, which Marquez and his camp vehemently denied.
Still, Roach maintained that speed, not bulk, won fights. “I don’t think muscle men have a better chin,” he said.
The last time these boxers met, Pacquiao entered the ring with his personal life in shambles. He arrived late to the arena, and in an argument with his wife. Throughout that camp, his confidants described Pacquiao as a changed man who replaced his numerous vices with religion. Now, they say that Pacquiao, obsessive in all endeavors, had binged too much on Bible study.
Only in boxing could someone cite too much Bible study as a distraction for a fight.
For this bout, Pacquiao cut out plyometrics from his training, exercises that he said led to cramping in his calves. His promoter, Arum of Top Rank Boxing, said the last time he saw Team Pacquiao this peaceful was before Pacquiao fought Oscar De La Hoya, before he became famous and his life personal life imploded, before he won a Congressional election in the Philippines.
Whether such tranquillity could translate into the aggression Roach desired remained to be seen. They had a game plan for the third fight, after all, until Pacquiao discarded it.
This time, Pacquiao appeared to follow the plan. He remained aggressive, even as he lunged forward, at times off balance, susceptible to the right. Asked afterward if he would entertain a fifth fight, Pacquiao said, “Why not?”
Perhaps he will want to watch the punch on replay. It happens to most every fighter, one of boxing’s starkest and saddest truths. They all get hit, all get knocked down. Some champions, even Pacquiao, get knocked out.
“I got hit by a punch I didn’t see,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/sp...pagewanted=all
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by AfroBlue(m): 8:00am On Dec 09, 2012
DSB: hehehe...he got knocked the f out grin grin grin

I woke up just in time to see the fight.... the earlier bouts put me to sleep.

1 Like

Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by Nobody: 8:32am On Dec 09, 2012
Wow, what an upset! Pacqiao isn't invincible afterall. I can't wait for his duel with Mayweather, that would surely be a box-office hit.
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by Whobedatte(m): 9:37am On Dec 09, 2012
Pacman needs choose between Boxing OR Politics. Now that the Fillipino have ventured into Politics, his form is now deteriorating , and is obvious in his last bout with same Marquez. Mayweather Jnr fight with him may never come into fruition the way things are going for the Filipino!
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by Nobody: 9:41am On Dec 09, 2012
Whobedatte: Pacman needs choose between Boxing OR Politics. Now that the Fillipino have ventured into Politics, his form is now deteriorating , and is obvious in his last bout with same Marquez. Mayweather Jnr fight with him may never come into fruition the way things are going for the Filipino!

On the contrary, Mayweather is known for ALWAYS cherry picking fights...he wants to catch Manny on the decline and turn his lights out for good...
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by Nobody: 9:43am On Dec 09, 2012

Lol.

What's funny is that about 15 seconds before the knockout, the commentators were saying Marquez needed to wake up and get into the match again.
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by Nobody: 9:56am On Dec 09, 2012
"I got hit by a punch I didn't see." Pacquiao

Its called the SUCKER PUNCH! grin grin

I love that! kiss kiss

I am a fan of pacquioa but Marquez really proved he is a resilient and determined boxer! He deserves the win!

@ poster - Nice post! wink wink
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by Lucasbalo(m): 9:57am On Dec 09, 2012
This fight ending this way is not a surprise because manny is on decline. Time to hang it up. He's been blessed beyond comprehension because of boxing. Good career and good luck to him in his life after boxing.
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by Chedarking: 10:08am On Dec 09, 2012
Oh Manny!

This man is such a legend. I based my entire boxing style and tekkers on this bloke- this is just a blip,and I wouldn't be surprised if he's just trynna bait Floyd Mayweather.

PacMan you Legend!
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by demelza: 10:13am On Dec 09, 2012
jackbauersballs:

On the contrary, Mayweather is known for ALWAYS cherry picking fights...he wants to catch Manny on the decline and turn his lights out for good...
If that is really his intention, then the timing couldnt be more right.
Mayweather should accept his challenge now that it seems Pacquiao has lost his mojo.
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by Nobody: 10:25am On Dec 09, 2012
CFCfan: Wow, what an upset! Pacqiao isn't invincible afterall. I can't wait for his duel with Mayweather, that would surely be a box-office hit.

DON'T HOLD UR BREATH BRO. A MAYWEATHER PACQIAO BOUT NOW WON'T BE SO INTERESTING COS THEN THE 2 OF THEM WERE UNDEFEATED & BOTH WERE IN GR8 SHAPE SO IT WAS DIFFICULT 2 PREDICT THE OUTCOME.
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by dridowu: 10:41am On Dec 09, 2012
And some1 is calling BOXING a sport.....................Marrquez face was full of blood despite d fact dat he WON................................................I hate boxing
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by vislabraye(m): 10:59am On Dec 09, 2012
Very disappointing. Now that Pacquio has 2 defeats, his fight with Mayweather might not live up to the hype.
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by Nobody: 11:02am On Dec 09, 2012
Manny Pacquiao got distracted with fame, money and politics.
No star remains forever but to me he's still a champion #lessonlearnt
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by Super1759: 11:08am On Dec 09, 2012
boxing shouldn't be called a game, it is a fight.. I hate boxing
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by dadicvila(m): 11:09am On Dec 09, 2012
dridowu: And some1 is calling BOXING a sport.....................Marrquez face was full of blood despite d fact dat he WON................................................I hate boxing
you should have been a woman thats if you are not one
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by searay(m): 11:10am On Dec 09, 2012
Na who send am?
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by montelik(m): 11:19am On Dec 09, 2012
He got rocked by a punch he didn't see coming, despite look good for most of the fight up till then. It happens to the very best. Isn't that how Rahmann embarassed Lennox in S.A? Pacman needs to knuckle down and get back to what he does best and he will be fine. But if his attentions are elsewhere, now may be the time to move on to other things and leave a wonderful career and legacy as it is.
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by cold(m): 11:35am On Dec 09, 2012
Afro_Blue: Pacquiao Stunned in Sixth Round

Perhaps he will want to watch the punch on replay. It happens to most every fighter, one of boxing’s starkest and saddest truths. They all get hit, all get knocked down. Some champions, even Pacquiao, get knocked out.
“I got hit by a punch I didn’t see,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/sp...pagewanted=all
This is the sad truth.All boxers have their bad days,even the greatest boxers to step into the ring have kissed the canvas at one time or another. Nonetheless,Marquez still deserves credit for proving to the world he's a tough nut to crack. In some of their previous bouts i could have swore he was cheated out of the fight. Kudos to him & Pacmam,better go get your act together. You can't be a clergy,a politician and a boxer all at the same time.

2 Likes

Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by Joey82(m): 11:46am On Dec 09, 2012
Pacman fought without defending. i think the early knockdown got to his head and he was hell bent on the attack.
He left too much room for marquez and for me its only boxers like lenox lewis that could leave so much room and yet be in control.
In fights like this, u gotta be defensive too, that KO blow really caught pacman off guard and too bad he could not recover.
too bad for peeps who paid good money to enjoy a longer fight.

1 Like

Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by PhysicsQED(m): 11:53am On Dec 09, 2012
Wow. . .wish I had seen the fight.
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by roymary: 12:15pm On Dec 09, 2012
Manny has so much going on outside boxing. I miss the old Pacman. I need PACQUIAO-MARQUEZ 5 to get over this !!
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by purplekayc(m): 12:17pm On Dec 09, 2012
Am sure the pacman still made the most money 4om d fight?
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by A40(m): 12:19pm On Dec 09, 2012
cold: ,
This is the sad truth.All boxers have their bad days,even the greatest boxers to step into the ring have kissed the canvas at one time or another. Nonetheless,Marquez still deserves credit for proving to the world he's a tough nut to crack. In some of their previous bouts i could have swore he was cheated out of the fight. Kudos to him & Pacmam,better go get your act together. You can't be a clergy,a politician and a boxer all at the same time.
When I heard Pacquaio vs Marquez again you could hear my yawn from halfway across the world. This was probably the best outcome as another Pacquaio decision win would have papered the cracks in his game. Now I think he knows he needs to either sit up or retire and as you rightly said he is doing a little too much at the sametime! He isn't even 35 yet why the rush?

Mayweather might as well fight Pacquaio now. Even in his prime I always felt Mayweather had the edge because of his superior defense
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by sagytariusTM1: 12:24pm On Dec 09, 2012
Now, 50¢ent will be laughting his fatass out. cheesy
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by yang(m): 12:27pm On Dec 09, 2012
Afro_Blue: Juan Manuel Marquez knocked out Manny Pacquiao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzB63P5GOUk

This video is no longer available due to a copyright
claim by HOME BOX OFFICE, INC..

Smh @ HBO
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by ayoola2002(m): 12:27pm On Dec 09, 2012
Super1759: boxing shouldn't be called a game, it is a fight.. I hate boxing
Who beg u to like boxing? If u don't like boxing, watch other sport. But for ManyPacquio, no champion for life and time to hang up glove and face politics.
Re: ‎Marquez Knocks-Out Pacquiao In The Sixth Round by BAMMZ(m): 12:36pm On Dec 09, 2012
i love suprises!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Live Training:how You Can Earn N25,000 Or More With VFL. / Oshoala Scores Second Hat-Trick In 2 Games As Barcelona Beat Tenerife 6-0 / Super Eagles To Play Algeria, Tunisia In October Friendly Games

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.