Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,956 members, 7,821,355 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears (24104 Views)

Fearing The Apocalypse, Man Tries To Build His Own Ark / What Do You Think Will Happen By December 21, 2012(so Called End Of World) / December 21 2012 The End Of The World . . . . . . . . . R They God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by ngosayogie(m): 3:27pm On Dec 10, 2012
Fears that the end of the world is nigh have spread across the world with only days until the end of the Mayan calendar, with doomsday-mongers predicting a cataclysmic end to the history of Earth.

Ahead of December 21, which marks the conclusion of the 5,125-year "Long Count" Mayan calendar, panic buying of candles and essentials has been reported in China and Russia, along with an explosion in sales of survival shelters in America. In France believers were preparing to converge on a mountain where they believe aliens will rescue them.

The precise manner of Armageddon remains vague, ranging from a catastrophic celestial collision between Earth and the mythical planet Nibiru, also known as Planet X, a disastrous crash with a comet, or the annihilation of civilisation by a giant solar storm.

In America Ron Hubbard, a manufacturer of hi-tech underground survival shelters, has seen his business explode.

"We've gone from one a month to one a day," he said. "I don't have an opinion on the Mayan calendar but, when astrophysicists come to me, buy my shelters and tell me to be prepared for solar flares, radiation, EMPs (electromagnetic pulses) ... I'm going underground on the 19th and coming out on the 23rd. It's just in case anybody's right."

In the French Pyrenees the mayor of Bugarach, population 179, has attempted to prevent pandemonium by banning UFO watchers and light aircraft from the flat topped mount Pic de Bugarach.

According to New Age lore it as an "alien garage" where extraterrestrials are waiting to abandon Earth, taking a lucky few humans with them.

Russia saw people in Omutninsk, in Kirov region, rushing to buy kerosene and supplies after a newspaper article, supposedly written by a Tibetan monk, confirmed the end of the world.

The city of Novokuznetsk faced a run on salt. In Barnaul, close to the Altai Mountains, panic-buyers snapped up all the torches and Thermos flasks.

Dmitry Medvedev, the Russian prime minister, even addressed the situation.

"I don't believe in the end of the world," before adding somewhat disconcertingly: "At least, not this year."

In China, which has no history of preoccupation with the end of the world, a wave of paranoia about the apocalypse can be traced to the 2009 Hollywood blockbuster "2012".

The film, starring John Cusack, was a smash hit in China, as viewers were seduced by a plot that saw the Chinese military building arks to save humanity.

Some in China are taking the prospect of Armageddon seriously with panic buying of candles reported in Sichuan province.

The source of the panic was traced to a post on Sina Weibo, China's version of Twitter, predicting that there will be three days of darkness when the apocalypse arrives.

One grocery store owner said: "At first, we had no idea why. But then we heard someone muttering about the continuous darkness."

Shanghai police said scam artists had been convincing pensioners to hand over savings in a last act of charity.

Meanwhile in Mexico, where the ancient Mayan civilisation flourished, the end time has been seen as an opportunity. The country has organised hundreds of Maya-themed events, and tourism is expected to have doubled this year.

Nasa has been aggressively seeking to dispel doomsday fears. It says there is no evidence Nibiru exists, and rumours it could be hiding behind the sun are unfounded.

"It can't hide behind the sun forever, and we would've seen it years ago," a Nasa scientist said.

The space agency also rejected apocalyptic theories about unusual alignments of the planets, or that the Earth's magnetic poles could suddenly "flip."

Conspiracy theorists contend that the space agency is involved in an elaborate cover up to prevent panic.

But David Morrison, an astronomer at Nasa, said: "At least once a week I get a message from a young person, as young as 11, who says they are ill and/or contemplating suicide because of the coming doomsday. I think it's evil for people to propagate rumours on the internet to frighten children."

Mayans themselves reject any notion that the world will end. Pedro Celestino Yac Noj, a Mayan sage, burned seeds and fruits to mark the end of the old calender at a ceremony in Cuba. He said: "The 21st is for giving thanks and gratitude and the 22nd welcomes the new cycle, a new dawn."

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9730618/Mayan-apocalypse-panic-spreads-as-December-21-nears.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+delicious%2Fgqlf+%28Christian+Headlines+Top+Headlines%29&utm_content=FaceBook

2 Likes

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by busayordench(m): 5:39pm On Dec 10, 2012
Super story season1.Rubbissssh!
Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by valdubem(m): 5:39pm On Dec 10, 2012
I watched a documentary on National Geographic Channel yesterday, December 2012 Doomsday predicted by the Mayans was Misinterpreted. folks, if you still believe in the world coming to an end, you can hook me up and Give me all your properties.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by whitedove(m): 5:40pm On Dec 10, 2012
who cares? na only me go die, if the world ends?

1 Like

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:41pm On Dec 10, 2012
Fools will be fools.

idiocy has no racial demographics

Now watch as the nigerian versions come around with their "rapture" version.

5 Likes

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by Coldfeet(f): 5:42pm On Dec 10, 2012
AM READY!!!! That's all that matters! Be it today or tomorrow! G-girl won't move into hellsville.

3 Likes

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by sessydoo(m): 5:43pm On Dec 10, 2012
Fear ke? oti o! na only those people wey no know their God dey fear ooo.

If u re a student of bible, then no cause for alarm! tongue

10 Likes

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by Nobody: 5:45pm On Dec 10, 2012
Hah!
Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by Nobody: 5:46pm On Dec 10, 2012
Sorry am full of laf, and crying. If mexico is making it a tourism occasion, then i wish to sell candles and kerosene. Who is preparing for end of 21st december lol

1 Like

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by Nobody: 5:46pm On Dec 10, 2012
imagine the conconbility...

4 Likes

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by alphaconde(m): 5:46pm On Dec 10, 2012
So these oyinbo people will claim africans lack knowlegde whereas they are the dumbest in the world.

5 Likes

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by horlajide: 5:46pm On Dec 10, 2012
Must say I do not believe in this whole story about the World coming to an end on 21st but must also confess that after watching the documentary NOSTRODAMUS 2012, I was left with the impression that day wouldn't be an ordinary day. I'm not saying the world will end on 21st tho.

1 Like

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 10, 2012
Ok. Man loves conspiracy theories. I'm sure people wil make cool cash out of this rumours. Armagedon ko, armagedon ni.
Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by Archmed(m): 5:47pm On Dec 10, 2012
*super story*...well in case sha,cos some Nigerians can be vulnerable to this '' extra super story'',am warning GEJ,price of anything can go up but not garr! o

3 Likes

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by Revolva(m): 5:49pm On Dec 10, 2012
winkhaha lies sey na today we don dey hear am - well I don't own a car not to talk of okada even a house I don't own - my account na red so I have notin to loose - make d world end self this fuckin world -- who cares

8 Likes

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by Shadoky(m): 5:51pm On Dec 10, 2012
I pray make e no affect nigeria.
Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by poweredcom(m): 5:52pm On Dec 10, 2012
Haaa ope oo ****jubilating and dancing I can't wait 21st ooo yeah where dat my ashawo babe day make I Bleep am tire and groove waiting for the world the fuckin wiked world to end ** 21st haha wish to see you all in hell

1 Like

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by Ninilowo(m): 5:53pm On Dec 10, 2012
Oya.......lets go there.....................
Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by omega25red(m): 5:53pm On Dec 10, 2012
I thought only God knows when the world will end undecided is your god an ancient calendar?

3 Likes

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by kaydibs(f): 5:53pm On Dec 10, 2012
Bet world wait na cryBet world wait na. I haven't found love yet, no money in my account, no property of my own. I neva even experience childbirth looool.

2 Likes

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by TeenageMoney(m): 5:57pm On Dec 10, 2012
Me too dey fear...

Read this Sir Isaac Newton's Prophecy

http://.com/2012/12/sir-issac-newtons-prophecy-of-apocalypse.html
Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by KayDee4: 5:58pm On Dec 10, 2012
The Australian prime minster came on National TV last week to tell her people goodbye.
The funniest part of her speech was about zombies coming to eat everyone. grin grin
Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by seno408(m): 6:06pm On Dec 10, 2012
Big lie. Do not be deceived
Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by Eldashab(m): 6:06pm On Dec 10, 2012
Oh man people are really afraid of this...I dey laugh seeing people dat are viewing this!
Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by Nobody: 6:09pm On Dec 10, 2012
Shadoky: I pray make e no affect nigeria.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Laughing so hard tears start coming out of my eyes and mocur start coming out my nose. It wont affect Nigeria off course cos 9ja no dey 4 map of the world.B-)

6 Likes

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by kombats: 6:11pm On Dec 10, 2012
december 22 i will be hear laughing

2 Likes

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by Nobody: 6:12pm On Dec 10, 2012
Panic? For where? All I see I niggers hustling hard for xmas, as a matter of fact dec 21 is a party day in my crib.
Yeah on dec 22, I'll be sipping champaign and watching this tread, laughing my asss off and on jan 1 I will watch that movie 2012 and teach the kids in my hood that tv is make believe and hollywood is good at it.
On a serious note, u wanna hear some real predictions, petrol will be scarce, transport fare will skyrocket, massive traffic will build up on niger bridge in onitcha, gwagwalada, ore, ofosu. GEJ will still be a world class dummy,( no disrespect sir), even in 2035, yeah one more, nepa will always fvck up. cool

12 Likes

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by Chrisfab: 6:13pm On Dec 10, 2012
Well i don't knw if d world's gonna end specifically on 21dec but i knw dat there's some element of truth in it visit dis website for more info
www.thewarningsecondcoming.com
>--Çhrî$fâb-->
Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by salafiyy: 6:17pm On Dec 10, 2012
THIS IS A BIG LIE, WHEN THE TIME IS GOING TO BE ESTALISHE NO ONE NOT EVEN THE ANGELS NOR THE PROPHETS (OF GOD) EXCEPT GOD HIMSELF,THEREFORE, THE TIME IS NOT DETERMINED BY ONE FOOLISH M. CALENDAR. BEFORE THE TIME SHOULD BE EXPECTING TEN GREAT SINGS: THE COMING OF JESUS CHRIST TO KILL THE ANTI-CHRIST THAT WILL BE FOLLOWED MAJORLY BY THE JEWS (ISREAL), THE COMING OF THE BEAST MAGOG AND MAJUJ,A GREAT SMOKE E.T.C. SO; NON OF THESE ARE YET TO HAPPEN. SO PEOPLE ENJOY AND FLEX...BUT TEAR ALLAH!

1 Like

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by Nobody: 6:18pm On Dec 10, 2012
I don't know why poor people always wish the world will end next week.

1 Like

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by vascey(m): 6:20pm On Dec 10, 2012
grin

2 Likes

Re: Mayan Apocalypse: Panic Spreads As December 21 Nears by vascey(m): 6:21pm On Dec 10, 2012
kay dibs: Bet world wait na cryBet world wait na. I haven't found love yet, no money in my account, no property of my own. I neva even experience childbirth looool.

Heya.
Yours was touching.
The world is not coming to an end.
You shall find all you seek. Amen.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Some Muslims Will Make Heaven While Some Christians Will Not. / 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers / Prophetess Rose Kelvin Feeds The Less Privileged (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.