Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,573 members, 7,823,495 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? (44550 Views)

Do Pregnant Women Fart So Much? My Wife Is Driving Me Nuts... / Why Do Pregnant Women Spit Out Saliva Continuously? How Can They Be Helped? / Lucky Cow 'Bless' Pregnant Women With Baby Boys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Ask4bigneyo(m): 7:21pm On Dec 10, 2012
Have been wondering why our pregnant women always attached safety pin(s) to their clothes/wears...

It is commonly practiced among the yorubas bt i don't know weda this also applicable to other culture/tribes..

According to an elderly man who pleaded annonimity pointed out that "Safety pin" is usually attached to their clothes/wears so as to protect the fetus from evil spirit/deamon expecially @ noon and night!

I don't know weda u too have witness this in a pregnant women's clothes...

How do you reciprocate to this...?Nairalanders...

What is the meaning and how true is it?

I will appreciate your good response...
Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by acidtalk: 7:33pm On Dec 10, 2012
Africa is so much filled with superstitious thinking.

Dem say na to protect the pikin against the attack of Obgbanje, wiliwili, osho, Aje (witch), shokpono (devil).

Funny thing is these same girls never miss church service and vigils. Is that not the height of hypocrisy?

With All their protection and spiritual beliefs, they have never provided a world class leader, astraonaut, scientist, geographer, rich business tycoon and others. Yet they keep believing one person wants to hurt and harm them (even the poorest man dey fear attack from the enemy).

18 Likes

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Ask4bigneyo(m): 7:38pm On Dec 10, 2012
To the front page pls...
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by ikamefa(f): 7:41pm On Dec 10, 2012
Ask4bigneyo: Have been wondering why our pregnant women always attached safety pin(s) to their clothes/wears...

It is commonly practiced among the yorubas bt i don't know weda this also applicable to other culture/tribes..

According to an elderly man who pleaded annonimity pointed out that "Safety pin" is usually attached to their clothes/wears so as to prevent fetus from evil spirit/deamon expecially @ noon and night!

Thanks!

@ topic i reciprocate this way? grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by greatgod2012(f): 7:47pm On Dec 10, 2012
acidtalk: Africa is so much filled with superstitious thinking.

Dem say na to protect the pikin against the attack of Obgbanje, wiliwili, osho, Aje (witch), shokpono (devil).

Funny thing is these same girls never miss church service and vigils. Is that not the height of hypocrisy?

With All their protection and spiritual beliefs, they have never provided a world class leader, astraonaut, scientist, geographer, rich business tycoon and others. Yet they keep believing one person wants to hurt and harm them (even the poorest man dey fear attack from the enemy).

LWKMD
Uare just too funny with dis ur post and btw, its just d fact.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Ask4bigneyo(m): 7:52pm On Dec 10, 2012
ikamefa:

@ topic i reciprocate this way? grin grin

lets be realistic here.. Abeg!
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by greatgod2012(f): 7:55pm On Dec 10, 2012
I dont know its relevance on pregnancy, funny enough, some dont know d relevance too, yet they use it out of fear that has been planted in them, but i heard that its used against d attack of evil ones on d pregnancy or d foetus, forgetting that it is what God allow to happen that will happen. I have discovered in this life that if u fear God, u have nothing to fear again.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by tpia1: 9:02pm On Dec 10, 2012
Its a yoruba superstition.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by zayhal(f): 10:01pm On Dec 10, 2012
Not only safety pins, some also tie little stones maybe 3 or 7 or so to their wrappers instead of or alongside the pins. All superstitious protection.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by coogar: 10:13pm On Dec 10, 2012
tpia1: Its a yoruba superstition.

huh?
never heard of it.....
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by slimyem: 11:09pm On Dec 10, 2012
Dunno if its only a Yoruba thing but is definitely a ridiculous superstion..
Its supposed implication is synonymous to people who put their bibles beside their pillow and think it'll protect them from evil...
Stupidity!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by tpia1: 11:30pm On Dec 10, 2012
coogar:

huh?
never heard of it.....

common among the yoruba, i should think.

kind of routine, not unusual.

not sure what the actual underlying reason is though.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by johnwizey: 11:58pm On Dec 10, 2012
wu deleted my post
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by yme1(f): 12:09am On Dec 11, 2012
huh?? weird
Never heard of this
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Nobody: 12:10am On Dec 11, 2012
@johnwizey its seun,hav u ofended him b4? shocked
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by FdsunnEX(m): 12:26am On Dec 11, 2012
hmmm
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by FdsunnEX(m): 12:30am On Dec 11, 2012
for i taught it was due tomaking their stomach not to show lol
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Basic(m): 12:31am On Dec 11, 2012
There's this superstition that the safety pin helps keep demons and evil spirits away from the developing foetus.
Another reason why blacks are so far behind. We preoccupy ourselves with baseless myths while the whites are facing realities.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Nobody: 12:38am On Dec 11, 2012
I once heard that too,that the safety pin is meant to ward off evil spirit from possessing the foetus.
What I don't know is,if its peculiar to Nigeria alone.
If my wife gets pregnant,I will make also make her put on the safety pin,I can't risk having a baby possessed by evil spirit.its better to be called an African man,and have a good child.

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by sleekch1c(f): 12:46am On Dec 11, 2012
Yomieluv: I once heard that too,that the safety pin is meant to ward off evil spirit from possessing the foetus.
What I don't know is,if its peculiar to Nigeria alone.
If my wife gets pregnant,I will make also make her put on the safety pin,I can't risk having a baby possessed by evil spirit.its better to be called an African man,and have a good child.
GET WISDOM!

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Ndoz(m): 12:50am On Dec 11, 2012
johnwizey: wu deleted my post
who u de ask?
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Nobody: 12:55am On Dec 11, 2012
Ask4bigneyo: Have been wondering why our pregnant women always attached safety pin(s) to their clothes/wears...

According to an elderly man who pleaded annonimity pointed out that "Safety pin" is usually attached to their clothes/wears so as to prevent fetus from evil spirit/deamon expecially @ noon and night!

Thanks!

You got it right
I am Igbo and I have never heard of this before,must be a Yoruba thing
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by supereagle(m): 12:57am On Dec 11, 2012
I asked my mother as a young boy , she was pregnant then and she that it was meant to prevent her carrying Emere Omo( familiar spirit )It is believed then that an emere omo can posses the unborn baby in the womb.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by collinsJn(m): 12:57am On Dec 11, 2012
So True Though. The People Of Agulu In Anambra State Are Best Knwn With These Act. I Guess The Safety Pin Or Whatever Pin Serves As a Device Dat Holds Back Any Attack From An Enemy.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by bestower: 12:57am On Dec 11, 2012
Africans mentality.So baseless,what we be will be.superstitions of the highest order.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by SisiKill1: 1:03am On Dec 11, 2012

Thanks!
I'd plead anonymity too if I was peddling nonsense.

The pregnant women who decorate their clothes with safety pins are the same people who drink agbo concocted by the iya okan who just finished wiping her grandchild's bum without washing her hand. . .after he finished pooing right by the ewe tutu they used to mix the agbo.

You gotta wonder how many safety pins protects a fetus from second hand smoke when you see how comfortably some of these pregnant balance around smokers.

'Em bleaching creams nko some women use nko? That's gonna take about 40 to 50 safety pins? Yes?

Instead teaching real honest to good prenatal and antenatal care, we pass down senseless superstitions from generation to generation.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by 50calibre(m): 1:03am On Dec 11, 2012
bestower: Africans mentality.So baseless,what we be will be.superstitions of the highest order.

Keep quiet, superstition isn't only peculiar to Africa, many cultures and societies have one superstition or the other, just the same way the germans omit the number 13 because they feel it's a bad omen

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Nobody: 1:26am On Dec 11, 2012

Nice
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by seedord247(m): 1:58am On Dec 11, 2012
OP.... If your mom did not use safety pin.... You'd have turn to ogbanje or clifford orji.. grin
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Livebetalife(f): 1:59am On Dec 11, 2012
Dnt knw o
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Nobody: 2:46am On Dec 11, 2012
Why does everyone contributing to an article by a nigerian journalist always plead anonymity undecided
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Nobody: 2:49am On Dec 11, 2012
Βουκέφαλος: Why does everyone contributing to an article by a nigerian journalist always plead anonymity undecided

That is to let you know the journalists are their own sources
What is there to plead anonymity for concerning this useless topic?
An elderly man for that matter

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

HELP My Husband Has Become A Domestic Slave / Mother Beats Her Teenage Daughter After Seeing Her With A Boy / My Brother's Wife Wouldn't Let Their Children Go To School Because Of This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.