Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,035 members, 7,818,059 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:13 AM

Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? (44519 Views)

Do Pregnant Women Fart So Much? My Wife Is Driving Me Nuts... / Why Do Pregnant Women Spit Out Saliva Continuously? How Can They Be Helped? / Lucky Cow 'Bless' Pregnant Women With Baby Boys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by harlos: 3:29am On Dec 11, 2012
babyosisi:

You got it right
I am Igbo and I have never heard of this before,must be a Yoruba thing
igbos too do it, and i've seen it daadaa... They say its pursue evil away from the pregnancy.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by minute(f): 3:38am On Dec 11, 2012
This is one of those whacked out old wives tales spread by those who are a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Falls right in there along with 'if you raise your arms above your head the cord will strangle your baby'
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by LondonLisa: 3:46am On Dec 11, 2012
Wow this is really a thread?
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by sunky644(m): 3:50am On Dec 11, 2012
Ask4bigneyo: Have been wondering why our pregnant women always attached safety pin(s) to their clothes/wears...

It is commonly practiced among the yorubas bt i don't know weda this also applicable to other culture/tribes..

According to an elderly man who pleaded annonimity pointed out that "Safety pin" is usually attached to their clothes/wears so as to prevent fetus from evil spirit/deamon expecially @ noon and night!

I don't know weda u too have witness this in a pregnant women's clothes...

How do you reciprocate to this...?Nairalanders...

What is the meaning and how true is it?

I will appreciate your good response...
Thanks!
Interesting, so nairalanders could be this serious with a particular topic to the extent of forgetting the grammatical error in it or I should say The Wole Soyinkas and Patrick Obahiagbons ve not yet commented.
To the topic, was told the reason is to prevent the fetus from evil spirit hovering around.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by neutralist: 4:20am On Dec 11, 2012
What were the Africans using before the advent or arrival of westerners
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by drnoel: 4:22am On Dec 11, 2012
acidtalk: Africa is so much filled with superstitious thinking.

Dem say na to protect the pikin against the attack of Obgbanje, wiliwili, osho, Aje (witch), shokpono (devil).

Funny thing is these same girls never miss church service and vigils. Is that not the height of hypocrisy?

With All their protection and spiritual beliefs, they have never provided a world class leader, astraonaut, scientist, geographer, rich business tycoon and others. Yet they keep believing one person wants to hurt and harm them (even the poorest man dey fear attack from the enemy).
U r 100 percent correct and I agree with u but I also wonder why the producers of astronauts have never understood or made progress in African science, or made lightening pursue their enemies, or made it rain for days cos they felt slighted, or change into vulture, cats, or other familiar animals. I was wondering aloud. To buttress my point pls read this story i came accross "rapist turns to animal on being arrested" http://news.naij.com/16653.html
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by rubion: 4:34am On Dec 11, 2012
never heard of this "superstition" before undecided
I have a lot to learn.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Smooyis(m): 5:08am On Dec 11, 2012
Old school
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Nobody: 5:25am On Dec 11, 2012
The belief is that evil children(malformed, retards, cretins, abiku, ogbanje) cannot stand the pinch of the pin if they try to enter the womb.

Its not all the time, just when they want to go out in the sun.
Also, in the absence of pins, stones are used.

Scientifically, pregnant women are advised not to walk in the sun because of the dangers of UV rays to the fetus.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by atuboweke(m): 5:40am On Dec 11, 2012
I just confirmed from a yoruba friend that it is a long time Yoruba Believe. For protection of the baby from evil spirits and attack. But we shouldn't be surprised cos Yoruba s are widely known for JUJU and fetism.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by ULSHERLAN(m): 6:09am On Dec 11, 2012
Basic: There's this superstition that the safety pin helps keep demons and evil spirits away from the developing foetus.
Another reason why blacks are so far behind. We preoccupy ourselves with baseless myths while the whites are facing realities.
You mean an example of white facing reality is their all time prediction of the end time. I see some pple just type. Irrespective of the race we all have myths. Surprisingly even the whites have traditions. So what are you now talking about

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by cynthiafred67(f): 6:14am On Dec 11, 2012
It is believed to protect the baby from evil and unwanted spirits.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by nikkyshyne(f): 6:18am On Dec 11, 2012
babyosisi:
You got it right
I am Igbo and I have never heard of this before,must be a Yoruba thing
My Igbo secretary once used it. She is from Abia state.

She said each time she failed to use it at night, she has nightmares.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by epitome86: 6:20am On Dec 11, 2012
i can see why some of our culture is going into xtinction..simply becos of civilization people are nw turning culture to taboo..but we shld understand dat wat we are copying is anoda pples culture just becos they appreci8 theirs....a gud instant is wen d oyinbo pple see our cultural statue why did they alwz want dat particular on and not mouldin it resamblance? Simple because they appreci8 its function more dan we dat inherited it... OUR CULTURE SHLD BE OUR PRIDE
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by wizboi26(m): 6:32am On Dec 11, 2012
zayhal: Not only safety pins, some also tie little stones maybe 3 or 7 or so to their wrappers instead of or alongside the pins. All superstitious protection.
zayhal: Not only safety pins, some also tie little stones maybe 3 or 7 or so to their wrappers instead of or alongside the pins. All superstitious protection.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by ireneidiva(f): 6:38am On Dec 11, 2012
[quote
author=epitome86]i can see why some of our culture is going into
xtinction..simply becos of civilization people are nw turning culture to
taboo..but we shld understand dat wat we are copying is anoda pples
culture just becos they appreci8 theirs....a gud instant is wen d oyinbo
pple see our cultural statue why did they alwz want dat particular on
and not mouldin it resamblance? Simple because they appreci8 its function
more dan we dat inherited it... OUR CULTURE SHLD BE OUR PRIDE[/quote]
safety pins are your culture

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Quads: 7:05am On Dec 11, 2012
mollytinrox: The belief is that evil children(malformed, retards, cretins, abiku, ogbanje) cannot stand the pinch of the pin if they try to enter the womb.

Its not all the time, just when they want to go out in the sun.
Also, in the absence of pins, stones are used.

Scientifically, pregnant women are advised not to walk in the sun because of the dangers of UV rays to the fetus.

Just wondering, does it mean that if they fix the pin or use stones and go out under the sun, they would be protected from UV rays from getting to their fetus?
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by 80million1: 7:26am On Dec 11, 2012
*speechless*

It's a beautiful Tuesday morning.
Thank You Lord!
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by sayso: 7:33am On Dec 11, 2012
to wade off witches.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by dont8(m): 7:46am On Dec 11, 2012
... AND REALLY FAST! Africans with superstitions, no wonder we're still a Third World Continent (TWC).
sleekch1c:
GET WISDOM!
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by dont8(m): 7:57am On Dec 11, 2012
Huh! How can safety pins or anything related to technology be your culture? Do Africa nay, Nigeria have the technology to manufacture pins in the first place before the Europeans came? Get wisdom like someone has posited.
epitome86: i can see why some of our culture is going into xtinction..simply becos of civilization people are nw turning culture to taboo..but we shld understand dat wat we are copying is anoda pples culture just becos they appreci8 theirs....a gud instant is wen d oyinbo pple see our cultural statue why did they alwz want dat particular on and not mouldin it resamblance? Simple because they appreci8 its function more dan we dat inherited it... OUR CULTURE SHLD BE OUR PRIDE

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by dont8(m): 8:02am On Dec 11, 2012
Its a thing of mindset, thats her believe that if she doesn't use it, she's going to have a nightmare anyways.

nikkyshyne:
My Igbo secretary once used it. She is from Abia state.

She said each time she failed to use it at night, [/b]she has nightmares.[b]
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by lastpage: 8:13am On Dec 11, 2012
Yomieluv: I once heard that too,that the safety pin is meant to ward off evil spirit from possessing the foetus.
What I don't know is,if its peculiar to Nigeria alone.
If my wife gets pregnant,I will make also make her put on the safety pin,I can't risk having a baby possessed by evil spirit.its better to be called an African man,and have a good child.

I somehow like your post! kiss
Better to be safe than sorry!
Its not just "safety Pins", its "any sharp metallic object" but we all know that a "safety Pin" provides ease of penetration and safety from injury to the stomach, in case she falls on it and does not fall off easily.

My contribution will be broken into two parts (pls skip if you have attention span problem): Part 1.

Its a Yoruba folktale/superstition since l am yet to come across who else does it.

But one thing we must understand about "superstition" is that in most cases, YOU ARE WHAT YOU BELIEVE..... and WHAT WOULD BELIEVE WILL WORK FOR YOU!

As a Christian, l remember Jesus telling his folks that "If you have FAITH (belief), You can tell a Mountain to move, and IT WILL MOVE!

What about "Positive thinking and POWER OF THE MIND"? These are phenomena connected with what you BELIEVE!

In my short time on earth, l have heard it said (and seen it practiced!)that: If you can imagine or conceive it in your mind, you CAN DO IT"!

Thus, my own conclusion is that "The MIND" is a very powerful contraption which if put to maximum use (through meditation, incantation, training, indoctrination, elevation, e.t.c), can do things which beggars belief!

When Galileo Galilee said the earth was not flat (as the scientists/philosophers of his days believed) but spherical even though he has NO EVIDENCE TO PROVE IT THEN, he was said to be crazy, superstitious and a heretic! Well, Centuries later, we now understand that it is those same people accusing him of all these things, that were actually stewpid!

At times, we just condemn what we are ignorant about .....simply to "hide or fully display" our own ignorance!

When Isaac Newton discovered the Law of Gravity while "sitting under an Apple Tree", he was actually banished and said to have gone mentally unstable by other scientists around him!

Trust me, l have seen many things which if not that l witnessed them[b] FIRST HAND[/b], l would have also trashed them as Superstition!

Any Yoruba mother (70, 80's Mum) will know about one Fruit like this (l dont know its English name) which opens half-way like a trap or mouth. When a new born is suffering from some condition which makes the centre of his/her forehead (Yorubas call it "awuuje"wink to palpitate and causes him to get sick (Yorubas call the condition "Ooga"!), all they do is put this Fruit in ordinary water... after a day or two, the Fruit closes its 'mouth' and they give the baby the water in which the fruit was soaked and Voila! The illness disappears and the thumping center of head becomes stable and normal!

You can call it superstition but l know many Mothers here can testify to it! Its real but l cant just explain how/why!

I have seen 'Yorubas' do "bloodless surgery" just with ordinary incantations (words spoken, afterall Bible said the world was created using "words" LET THERE BE Bleep, and it was!).
I have seen Chronic Headache (the one we call Migraine), cured within minutes by putting the victims head against a wall and reciting some "words". That one is child's play, l do it myself and have taught my kids!

Thing is it works, but l cant explain the "science" behind it!
If that is what makes it "SUPERSTITION", then so be it.

...To be continued in Part 2.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by lastpage: 8:14am On Dec 11, 2012
Part 2.

Growing Up, my great Grand Ma lived so long that most of her children died (at 85yrs,92yrs, 83yrs) even before her and we all lost count of how old she really was, at a stage! Funny thing is she has "died on many occasions" (on particular occasion, she stood up after like four days! she still breathes and you can feel her pulse but that is all there is to eat! No food, no water, just dead-alive kind of thing!)

It got to a stage that when we hear that she has "finally died" every one just shrugged their shoulder and say "Lets wait and see cos you can bet she will still stand up and walk! To cut along story short, it was later discovered by the "elders", after much spiritual investigation, that she has entered a "Longevity Covenant" and would live as long as her 'physical body' will carry her! She was confronted with this fact and she actually said it was true but she had forgotten about it! She then went on to tell them what to "do" to nullify that effect. I still remember that a very big Turtle was used amongst other things but we little children were not allowed to "do amebo" as we would love to! grin grin
Well, within two days after "the superstition" was done, she finally died ... they refused to bury her for almost a week, hoping but dreading she "walk again"! This time, her breathing actually stopped and signs of "body decay" became evident ...and they finally buried her.

Now, in 2012, the "white folks" are claiming they would be able to extend Longevity beyond what we think is possible! But hey, 'Africans have been doing that" for hundreds of decades! My G.Grand Ma was a "real life example".

Am thinking most of you reading this will also be thinking: Its just superstition, right?

But what will you say when the "white man" develops a "Drug that can cure and replace all the "cancerous" cells in the body" (that's why we die eventually when the body system gets overwhelmed by them)...

What would you say then? I bet you wont say "superstition", right? You will CLAP FOR THEM

Finally, that we AFRICANS have not used our own "superstition/juju" to better ourselves, is not the fault of the "phenomenon" itself (our forefathers used it for human good, we use our own for money rituals!) but a "REFLECTION OF OUR MORAL DEPRAVITY OVER TIME AND OUR SELFISHNESS/SELF CENTERED-NESS!

The Caucasians were a step ahead of us ... and they used their own to develop their lands! Read the history of American and European Masonic Masters and see what they contributed to their continent ...in strange and unexplainable ways!

The Asians were a step below us, but they used their own to develop and invent (China, India, Malaysia, Brazil are good examples) and the result is there for all of us to see.

We Africans are still routed in petty jealousy and hatred (even of ourselves!) and when these other "developed people" see this, they decided that the world NEEDS A SET OF SLAVES and who better than those who have refused to develop themselves?

So what did they do? They "assist us" by brainwashing us, tell us that our own "native superstitions" is evil, (using RELIGION) and ask us to discard it (knowing fully well that it offers an unexplainable short cut to fast-track our development and there would be no more "slaves" (or people who need AID!) and they would not be able to plunder our people, our continent and resources, just like they cant plunder China or Brazil today!).

And what is the result?: Africans (by Origin anyway) who are highly educated and intelligent but lack even the most basic understanding of their "cultural heritage", the advantages in it and how it is possible to harness it for greater good!.

[size=14pt]Africans that condemn ANYTHING African! ... out of IGNORANCE, which by the way, is NOT AN EXCUSE![/size]

Nuff said, but its a pity, walahi! cry cry cry

Lastpage!

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Nobody: 8:15am On Dec 11, 2012
[quote
author=acidtalk]Africa is so much filled with superstitious thinking.

Dem say na to protect the pikin against the attack of Obgbanje,
wiliwili, osho, Aje (witch), shokpono (devil).

Funny thing is these same girls never miss church service and vigils. Is
that not the height of hypocrisy?

With All their protection and spiritual beliefs, they have never
provided a world class leader, astraonaut, scientist, geographer, rich
business tycoon and others. Yet they keep believing one person wants to
hurt and harm them (even the poorest man dey fear attack from the
enemy).[/quote] hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaaha *faints*
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by victokafor(m): 8:32am On Dec 11, 2012
It is only the name of Jesus that can cast any evil agent away from someone. I guess safety pins producers wants to quick sales. Chinese una well done ooooo. Keep making ur sales, we africans are too superstitious

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by xandy84: 8:35am On Dec 11, 2012
It simply ignorance meet poverty in highest level...
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by ignis: 8:46am On Dec 11, 2012
Safety pins are used to chase out and keep off evil spirits.
Trust me, it really works.
Speaking in my grandmother's voice.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by hagma37yahoocom: 8:49am On Dec 11, 2012
Basic: There's this superstition that the safety pin helps keep demons and evil spirits away from the developing foetus.
Another reason why blacks are so far behind. We preoccupy ourselves with baseless myths while the whites are facing realities.
Mythbuster i cant stop loving that program on discovery channel. Oyinbo dey busy dey kill their worst fear with bear hand naija dey their dey pampa satan.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Nobody: 8:50am On Dec 11, 2012
@ Lastpage.
Don't mind all this hypocrites,who come online,and yarn dust,and go back indoors and do worst things.
Customs,superstition works, the hypocrisy is what makes Africa backward.
In Na-geo on Dstv,there is a program called Taboo,there was one episode,the people in a tribe believe in swallowing a fish is a cure for asthma,and drinking a concortion made with frog is a remedy for barreness.
These thing work for them cos they believe,and we Africans are here condemning ours.
Africa will forever be slave to the Whites.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by hagma37yahoocom: 8:50am On Dec 11, 2012
Mythbuster i cant just stop loving that program on discovery channel. Oyinbo dey busy dey kill their worst fear with bear hand naija dey their dey pampa satan.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Ask4bigneyo(m): 9:19am On Dec 11, 2012
seedord247: OP.... If your mom did not use safety pin.... You'd have turn to ogbanje or clifford orji.. grin

likewise ur mum... If nt 4 her sake, u 'd hav turn to irunmole... LWKMD

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Female Soldier Cradling Her Newborn Baby (Photos) / 25-Year-Old Lady Gives Birth To Six Babies Within 3 Years Of Marriage. Photos / Woman Who Gave Birth To Triplets Dies (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.