Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:53 PM

Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? (44431 Views)

Do Pregnant Women Fart So Much? My Wife Is Driving Me Nuts... / Why Do Pregnant Women Spit Out Saliva Continuously? How Can They Be Helped? / Lucky Cow 'Bless' Pregnant Women With Baby Boys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by tpia1: 6:53pm On Dec 11, 2012
but i dont see anyone flipping out over this oyibo superstition:

Something Blue is a phrase deriving from a saying about the items a bride should carry or wear on her wedding day for good luck:

Something old, something new,

Something borrowed, something blue,

And a silver sixpence in her shoe.

i.diots. undecided
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by tpia1: 6:55pm On Dec 11, 2012
Why does a bride wear something borrowed, something blue, something old, and something new?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080126110259AA8E1th

Incorporating 'Something Blue' Into Your Big Day

Even if you don't consider yourself to be superstitious, chances are when it comes to your wedding day, you will find yourself following at least a couple of the luck-promoting traditions. One of the most widely known traditions dates back to a Victorian poem, "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, and a silver sixpence in her shoe."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dana-levy/incorporating-something-b_b_1368496.html
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by ignis: 8:28pm On Dec 11, 2012
Please do we have any elder or old people in this house. I Think they will be of great help in solving this puzzle.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Ask4bigneyo(m): 8:37pm On Dec 11, 2012
ignis: Please do we have any elder or old people in this house. I Think they will be of great help in solving this puzzle.

LWKMD... Old papa no dey nairaland ooo, na youth wit liltle or no knowledge abt culture/tradition full here berekete...
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by tpia1: 9:12pm On Dec 11, 2012
The question has been answered multiple times on the thread.

As to whether you disagree or agree with the reasons stated, is another topic on its own.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by ignis: 9:19pm On Dec 11, 2012
Ask4bigneyo:

LWKMD... Old papa no dey nairaland ooo, na youth wit liltle or no knowledge abt culture/tradition full here berekete...
My grandfather is on nairaland. Joke apart.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Emeraldz(f): 9:25pm On Dec 11, 2012
Well in some communities, there are some people who specialize in putting those pins into people's body (not physically of course) but when they are removed,they are seen physically. But it is believed that when one wears the safety pin,the evil pins will not enter.Take it or leave it,you can ask your friends from Agulu and Nri in Anambra State.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by coogar: 9:31pm On Dec 11, 2012
tpia1: The question has been answered multiple times on the thread.
As to whether you disagree or agree with the reasons stated, is another topic on its own.

and why should we believe your answer seeing that you have avoided the questions thrown at you? if you cannot defend the answers provided then its not credible. the answers provided do not make sense and if they don't make sense, there's a high probability that you are telling porkies!
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by tpia1: 11:06pm On Dec 11, 2012
ignis:

Are you serious?

But even if true, i think the level of oldness they're referring to is around 80+ years of age.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by ndiyeauwa: 1:21am On Dec 12, 2012
Traditions of men
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by harlos: 7:20am On Dec 12, 2012
ndiyeauwa: Traditions of men
men
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Ask4bigneyo(m): 8:21am On Dec 12, 2012
ignis:

Bros no dey bobo us 4 here jor
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Ask4bigneyo(m): 8:28am On Dec 12, 2012
Emeraldz: Well in some communities, there are some people who specialize in putting those pins into people's body (not physically of course) but when they are removed,they are seen physically. But it is believed that when one wears the safety pin,the evil pins will not enter.Take it or leave it,you can ask your friends from Agulu and Nri in Anambra State.

so, pregnant women in igboland dey attached safety-pin to their clothes also...

What about d Hausas,
Who z gonna help us out?
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by timilehing(m): 12:47pm On Dec 12, 2012
Its use to locate d position of the baby. this is done by maternity nurse (old women) and if u notice quite well, d position changes at every ante-natal meeting
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Ask4bigneyo(m): 1:09pm On Dec 12, 2012
timilehing: Its use to locate d position of the baby. this is done by maternity nurse (old women) and if u notice quite well, d position changes at every ante-natal meeting

Hummn... Diff ppl wit diff perspectives...
av never heard of dis b4.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by lastpage: 9:34am On Dec 15, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
To whomever said this must be a Yoruba thing, I'm Yoruba and I've never heard of it.

No woman in my family has ever worn a pin for "safety".

Maybe you na "Estate-for-Lagos-YORUBA"? ......

.....those types that have never seen "live-chicken" before or have never been to a farm.
Those types that have never planted any sort of thing, not even Maize...and watch it grow grin grin grin

All their waka-waka is within Estate-School-Estate and cyclically like that! wink wink

Mind you, no offense o!

Lastpage!
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Ask4bigneyo(m): 11:35am On Dec 15, 2012
lastpage:

.....those types that have never seen "live-chicken" before or have never been to a farm.
Those types that have never planted any sort of thing, not even Maize...and watch it grow grin grin grin

All their waka-waka is within Estate-School-Estate and cyclically like that! wink wink

Mind you, no offense o!

Lastpage!

buhaaahaaaaaaa...! grin
lastpage:

Mind you, no offense o!

Lastpage!

buhaaahaaaaaaa...!
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Feb 19, 2013
NA LIE!!! You re a perpetual liar, amebo!
zayhal: Not only safety pins, some also tie little stones maybe 3 or 7 or so to their wrappers instead of or alongside the pins. All superstitious protection.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Sidewapcom(m): 9:09am On Sep 17, 2015
E do jor!
All of you talking trash about it being one African or Yoruba thing cool angry

I saw a white lady putting it on too, what would you say about that?
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Kennycool1: 10:39am On Nov 15, 2017
Gbam!!! grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

7 Things You Should Learn To Do In Your 20s To Avoid Regrets In Your Later Life / Woman With Cancer Reveals, Husband Is Not The Father Of 3 Kids; Nigerians React / My Daughters Lied That Their Father Had Sex With Them….

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.