Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,698 members, 7,809,638 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:23 PM

Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection (16729 Views)

Wife Infects Husband With HIV Most Wicked Way Possible / 3.2m Nigerians Live With HIV / help save a fellow man from death! #SaveSeyanu From #leukemia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by TechRev: 12:12pm On Dec 13, 2012
Doctors Save 7-year-old Girl From Leukaemia By Injecting Her With HIV

US doctors in Philadelphia said they have saved a seven-year-old girl who was close to dying from leukemia with a pioneering use of an unlikely ally: a modified form of the HIV virus.

After fighting her disease with chemotherapy for almost two years and suffering two relapses, the young girl “faced grim prospects,” doctors at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia said.

So in February this year they agreed to take her on in an experimental program that fought fire with fire.

Helped by a genetically altered HIV virus — stripped of its devastating properties that cause AIDS — doctors turned the girl’s own immune cells into a superior force able to rout the “aggressive” leukemia.

The treatment of Emily Whitehead was one of the very first of its kind and cannot yet be considered “a magic bullet,” the hospital said. But in Emily’s case, it apparently worked completely.

First, millions of the girl’s natural immune system cells were removed. Then the modified HIV virus was used to carry in a new gene that would boost the immune cells and help them spot, then attack cancer cells that had previously been able to sneak in “under the radar,” the hospital said on its website.

Finally the rebooted immune cells were sent back in to do their work.

“The researchers have created a guided missile that locks in on and kills B cells, thereby attacking B-cell leukemia,” the hospital said.

Pediatric oncologist Stephan Grupp, who cared for the girl, explained Tuesday that there was never any danger of AIDS during the process.

“The way we get the new gene into the T cells (immune cells) is by using a virus. This virus was developed from the HIV virus, however all of the parts of the HIV virus that can cause disease are removed,” he said in an email.

“It is impossible to catch HIV or any other infection. What’s left is the property of the HIV virus that allows it to put new genes into cells.”

During the treatment, Emily became very ill and went into the intensive care unit, underlining how risky the procedure can be. However, drugs that partly block the immune reaction were administered, without interfering with the anti-leukemia action, and she recovered, the hospital said.

The result was “complete” and best of all, the doctors say, the boosted immune shield continues “to remain in the patient’s body to protect against a recurrence of the cancer.”

“She has no leukemia in her body for any test that we can do — even the most sensitive tests,” Grupp told ABC television. “We need to see that the remission goes on for a couple of years before we think about whether she is cured or not. It is too soon to say.”

Grupp said on the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia website that cell therapies might eventually replace the more costly, painful bone marrow transplant treatment, a standard last-ditch defense against cancer.

“I’ve been meeting with families to discuss bone marrow transplant for 20 years,” he said. “In almost every meeting, I say that bone marrow transplant is very hard and that if we had an alternative for children at that point in treatment, I would be delighted to put myself out of business. And for the first time, we’re seeing how that might actually happen.”

http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/12/13/doctors-save-7-year-old-girl-leukaemia-injecting-hiv/

3 Likes

Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by Tsmooth1(m): 12:38pm On Dec 13, 2012
Allahu Akbar!

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by Lordave: 2:04pm On Dec 13, 2012
Weird
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:05pm On Dec 13, 2012
T-smooth:
Allahu Akbar!
undecided undecided undecided where did it say anything about that?

See how the western world is marching on purposefully and all we do here in Africa is fill out our churches and mosques on Sundays and Fridays waiting for a daddy with white beards to come down and put food in our mouths.
SMH angry angry angry

6 Likes

Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by gigz31: 2:06pm On Dec 13, 2012
Nawa o ..all this white people
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by Decapo: 2:06pm On Dec 13, 2012
Speechless

1 Like

Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by EbiJUNIRO(m): 2:07pm On Dec 13, 2012
shocked ehn.. what kind of wickedness? God is watching u.
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by Nobody: 2:07pm On Dec 13, 2012
Oyibo!!!
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by ektbear: 2:08pm On Dec 13, 2012
Amazing. Got to love science.

Clever idea to use the virus to modify her immune system...sounds incredible.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by homesteady(m): 2:09pm On Dec 13, 2012
wonders shall never end!!!....all dis white witches neva cease 2 freaks my balls off
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by greaterlove(m): 2:09pm On Dec 13, 2012
I love this, the doctors really thought out of the box.
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by BANGASOUP1: 2:09pm On Dec 13, 2012
may GOD B BLESSES,ABEG FIRED RICE ON MY MIND
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by drstan(m): 2:12pm On Dec 13, 2012
Science at its peak, anything can be use to cure something, but what did they use as a control experiment?
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by stevecantrell: 2:14pm On Dec 13, 2012
You see deceit of my white cousins ?
They can play with hiv to the extent that they can genetically alter it to any purpose they want but there is still no cure

Who is fooling who ?

10 Likes

Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by patholaw: 2:15pm On Dec 13, 2012
undecided abeg make person summarize 4 me
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by alaoeri: 2:16pm On Dec 13, 2012
Anytime i read things of this nature i just pity Africa ωε are hundred of years behind this ppl.
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by pipeewa(m): 2:16pm On Dec 13, 2012
God be praised for the wisdom. Some doctors fight to save lives abroad above the cost of doing so. In Nigeria, when will hospital bills stop being an hindrance to saving lives? Do doctors still care for the sick this way for glory and not for the proceeds.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by Burger01(m): 2:22pm On Dec 13, 2012
Researchers! Where do they get the brain? Can naija achieve feat like this? I bow o.. Now let's get that cure for HIV. I know this is POSSIBLE...
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by salolo(m): 2:23pm On Dec 13, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by tpapi: 2:23pm On Dec 13, 2012
Beta to die of leukamia than to live in dis wicked world wit hiv
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by Burger01(m): 2:24pm On Dec 13, 2012
tpapi: Beta to die of leukamia than to live in dis wicked world wit hiv
See ignorance at its peak.. SMH..

9 Likes

Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by Nobody: 2:24pm On Dec 13, 2012
what of her HIV status? shocked
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by Nobody: 2:25pm On Dec 13, 2012
gigz31: Nawa o ..all this white people
See ya mouth like white people..better go to school lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by mkmyers45(m): 2:25pm On Dec 13, 2012
Wow...medicine is marching on
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by Burger01(m): 2:27pm On Dec 13, 2012
Some people refuse to understand that life as HIV patient with proper care and adherence to ART is far better than life as oncology exposed....
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by ogaju007(m): 2:28pm On Dec 13, 2012
tpapi: Beta to die of leukamia than to live in dis wicked world wit hiv

I assume this was typed by somebody's pet with no brains.
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by ogaju007(m): 2:29pm On Dec 13, 2012
T-smooth:
Allahu Akbar!

Typical..... (No thoughts or comment to alter = No brains)
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by ogaju007(m): 2:31pm On Dec 13, 2012
ekt_bear: Amazing. Got to love science.

Clever idea to use the virus to modify her immune system...sounds incredible.

ha im happy we still have some people that reason (Nice Comment)
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by Burger01(m): 2:31pm On Dec 13, 2012
ogaju007:

I assume this was typed by somebody's pet with no brains.
Just imagine that. Some people are so ignorant that you have no choice than to wonder how come..
Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by skyhighweb(m): 2:32pm On Dec 13, 2012
this is will do a great horror movie
2 months later changes start to happen to the girl, bite her mother and father in their sleep goes out wide spreading the virus. wink

1 Like

Re: Doctors Cure Leukemia Patient With HIV Injection by mavo51: 2:32pm On Dec 13, 2012
tank God

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PICS:NAFDAC Destroys Fake Products Worth #500million At Aswama, Anambra State. / Lagos Discharges Four More Coronavirus Patients / NAFDAC Raises Alarm Over Circulation Of Fake Dano Milk In Nigerian Markets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.