Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,163 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:11 AM

What Has NYSC Done For You? - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / What Has NYSC Done For You? (10838 Views)

Has Nysc Outlived It's Purpose??? / Has NYSC Batch B Been Cancelled? / Has Nysc Outlived Its Purpose ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by ednut1(m): 8:59pm On Dec 26, 2012
[quote author=Sir cuba]I pray u come naija n posted to mosquitoes barracks called camp with hot water n bromine n yeast as bread...u r lucky again to b posted in isiala ngwa lga in abia state...‘uk otondo‘ dat ur fresh uk body is soya...speakin from experience...[/qu@ isialangwa where dey chop pple, dem go like uk meat
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Paulipopor: 9:01pm On Dec 26, 2012
Nysc is only useful if you'll need to work here in Nigeria. Even if you don't see yourself working in Nigeria anytime soon, remember one day, you might get a political appointment and then your nysc certificate will be needed.
As a UK guy grin grin grin you need to experience some Naija culture and life, this will avail you the opportunity. Like i'll advice anybody...try and work it to any southern/western states...my two cent!
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by dnawah(m): 9:04pm On Dec 26, 2012
My bros NYSC good o!no mind them,but when u dey come back try buy bomb detecting devices,bullet proof and any gun of ur choice,in case them post u boko states.(self defence is allow):-D
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Paulipopor: 9:04pm On Dec 26, 2012
...^^^
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Siddeek: 9:07pm On Dec 26, 2012
flow1759:
Abeg make we hear word. NYSC is enjoyable. For God sake, u are to serve ur nation not ursef. And also contribute ur quota 2 d place u are posted to. IMO anybody dat doesn't enjoy NYSC is not been truthful or dat person just don't want to, because whenever i think of my NYSC days, am fill wit nostalgia. Mehn if it is not d BEST 1year of ur life, mehn na u no wan make d best out of am. FULLSTOP
flow1759:
Abeg make we hear word. NYSC is enjoyable. For God sake, u are to serve ur nation not ursef. And also contribute ur quota 2 d place u are posted to. IMO anybody dat doesn't enjoy NYSC is not been truthful or dat person just don't want to, because whenever i think of my NYSC days, am fill wit nostalgia. Mehn if it is not d BEST 1year of ur life, mehn na u no wan make d best out of am. FULLSTOP
flow1759:
true tok. I feel ur gist guy.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by oemmanuel: 9:11pm On Dec 26, 2012
Naija_pikin 1: I finished servin october dis year. D service year is worth doin. U learn a whole lot about oda ppls culture,plus a lot of immunity cover dat u get. I gained all dis, more, and my national certificate.

Immunity cover?
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by unanghope: 9:14pm On Dec 26, 2012
PortHarcourtBoy:

@Op: Na lie abeg, you no school for UK

Your grammar get too many K-legs

You sure say no be Nwafor Orizu College of Education, Nnewi you school?

oboy na true oh! Too much of "I am" when u can use conjunction in place of "i am"... If all uk graduates are like these.. I go better go my school 4 university of BOKO HARAM UBH.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Profidada: 9:15pm On Dec 26, 2012
Well am currently serving in ekiti state. In my view i think it worth serving. It is a very vital tool for the federal government to promotes is policies and programmes through its various agencies such as mdgs, naca, nema etc. It gives you an opportunity to acquire skills, you learn the culture and traditions of others of which you may not have had such opportunity, you have access to loans provided by the scheme and its partner agency. Though there are challenges but the advantages far outweighed the disadvantages.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by toprealman: 9:16pm On Dec 26, 2012
Nkjay: Nysc gives u opportunity for a lot of thns,lik jobs opportunities, makin friends dat might c u thru in life, connections and most importantly u might neva knw were u wil b in future, u might nt reside there and if u happen to stay in nigeria, u ll surely need dat certificate cz no organisation employz without it.

Am a corp memba n its bin fun and full of tours. D idea bhind nysc z to reintegrate and promote tourism. Pls dear, grab d experience, it worths it. Safe jony back to naija
Another ITK response. The question says: What has NYSC done for YOU?
Just keep it simple mate.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by unanghope: 9:23pm On Dec 26, 2012
slyfoxxjoe: Adele if ur still in d uk, give me ur number let me call and advice you. I'm in a similar position
u dey 4 uk ur english follow get K-leg.. Nawahoo
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by kodkovski: 9:24pm On Dec 26, 2012
NYSC isn't a waste if time it might not give u job thogh but it definately will tech u the basic thing u need to know. So don't miss out from this great experience
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by avalontony(m): 9:26pm On Dec 26, 2012
NYSC changed my life, i am currently serving in ogoni land, although i will be passing out in feb by Gods grace, i learnt a lot about ppl, i learned to be of help to everyone around me, but above all, i told people about jesus christ, i gave them hope and a reason to live, without NYSC, i wouldn't have had this opportunity. i will miss my students, the ppl of ogoni and i will miss RURAL RUGGED EVANGELISM. i can't help but shout NA BARI OOOOOOO(which means my God in ogoni)

1 Like

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by kenlash: 9:35pm On Dec 26, 2012
NYSC is a waste of your one year . Take it or leave it. The time u'd ve used to find a job or establish urself , u'd use it to serve nd earn peanuts. Wat a waste . I'm of d opinion dt d money used for allowances for Corp membbers for one year shld be given to every fresh graduate so dt we can ve more self employed ppl around dn waiting for govt jobs
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by flow1759: 9:47pm On Dec 26, 2012
[quote author=ednut1][/quote]
Some people AJEBO just too much. So u want nysc camp to have AC, TELEVISION and DSTV, or u wan dey chop FRIED RICE, SHAWAMA and TURKEY, and also drink HENESSEY and CHAMPAGNE B4 u go serve abi. U go serve to enjoy? Una wey dey talk make una knw say nysc is like a paramilitary oh. Like i said b4, if u no enjoy ur nysc year, search well na u cause am. FULLSTOP
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Dec 26, 2012
Siddeek: true tok. I feel ur gist guy.
u wan hear true talk?
Serving ur country... Good idea. Bt nysc, bad idea, the good idea is completely missing in practice, jst like in evry oda govt. organisatn wit gud ideology bt malpractices rules. @op, do it only 4 ur own gain...
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Opoki(m): 9:49pm On Dec 26, 2012
adele88: Hi all

I am graduate from the UK, I am due to come back home for NYSC. But I am sceptical of what it actually gives you apart from independence pride and a certificate.. I know all this is important but i am wanted to make money ASAP and I am wondering whether it is helpful in regards to finding jobs. I am not familiar with Nigeria apart from the family that lives there and the 7 time I have visited Lagos. I am hoping to create contacts out there...the overall question is, does NYSC help with getting jobs in London etc..

Any advice would be helpful
@bolded part; You sounded as if you don't had your early education in Nigeria and if that is true, you don't need NYSC.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by nell07(m): 9:53pm On Dec 26, 2012
#exhales#
NYSC...
Actually, these days NOT MUCH.
Except u ve got a surefire connection dat'll get u a proper PPA.
I'm PRESENTLY serving in a secondary skl. On a remote island smwhr in d belly of rivers state.
Suffering like hell. No light, no clean water.
I bathe with d same creek water whre all d poop and refuse go into.
And what am i doing all these for? D NYSC certificate.
Cos besides that, there is no tangible gain.
Most employers in d country demand d cert... And its necessary too if u have political aspirations.
But besides dat,...smh. Its a painful waste of time. Plus u suffer during dat period
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 26, 2012
avalontony: NYSC changed my life, i am currently serving in ogoni land, although i will be passing out in feb by Gods grace, i learnt a lot about ppl, i learned to be of help to everyone around me, but above all, i told people about jesus christ, i gave them hope and a reason to live, without NYSC, i wouldn't have had this opportunity. i will miss my students, the ppl of ogoni and i will miss RURAL RUGGED EVANGELISM. i can't help but shout NA BARI OOOOOOO(which means my God in ogoni)
wow! Nice speech. Add am to ur CV. U try well well.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Naijapikin1: 10:05pm On Dec 26, 2012
Zeus I: If these are only what you gained from your service, then you failed woefully!
if your eyes cannot read clearly,then ask your grand-son to read for u. Didnt u see wer i said i gained dis, more, and national certificate. Anyways i was a CLO and if ur brain is calculative enuff, u‘d knw dat being a CLO coms wit touchin money. Dont eva misquote me again, eva!
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Dec 26, 2012
Kzinne: hello guys, new to dis forum, kindly inform me how i cud make a comment on dis forum
How did u type this? Thats d same way drop comments
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Naijapikin1: 10:12pm On Dec 26, 2012
oemmanuel: .

Immunity cover?
yea,in d sense dat kopas are not harrased like odas by soldiers in check point, de wont search a vehicle travellin wit kopas. Etc.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by remoranger(m): 10:17pm On Dec 26, 2012
unanghope: u dey 4 uk ur english follow get K-leg.. Nawahoo
nigga chill
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by meksroland: 10:22pm On Dec 26, 2012
NYSC made me to relocate toLagos and today I'm a happy man. Just avoid accros River Naija sha. Enjoy bro
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by mrczar(m): 10:28pm On Dec 26, 2012
donigspain: *What has NYSC done to (not for) me?
NYSC unimaginably flung me to Benue state; I bet y'all know what that means to a s.exually active guy, huh?sadsadsad
**CELIBACY MODE**
Broz na u wan turn celibacy oh. I dey serv 4 dat state na! Enof flexin. But I dnt minglr wif d indigenes sha!
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by plendil: 10:37pm On Dec 26, 2012
It gave me my job!
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Shugamania(f): 10:48pm On Dec 26, 2012
Nawa oo... U guys are scaring some of us naw.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Ekpekus(m): 10:50pm On Dec 26, 2012
The question should be 'what can I do for my nation via the NYSC program? So glad that I served, yes you will experience discomfort but the impact you will make in whatever organization you are posted to 4 ur PPA is more important. Not forgetting NCCF which avail you the opportunity to reach out to the unreached in places where you never imagined yourself to be. RURAL RUGGED EVANGELISM.
If you didn't enjoy your service year, YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!

1 Like

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by banks1: 10:59pm On Dec 26, 2012
pDude: Bla bla bla bla bla!!! angry angry angry angry

Why all of una dey lie give the guy naw? As if I didn't do NYSC.

OP, let me give you a quick breakdown of NYSC: First you will be posted to a state you never imagined you would ever visit (that is if you don't have a friend or relative to runz it for you). Then you will start going from bus park to bus park trying to inquire on how the hell to get there. Thereafter, you will make numerous phone calls and browsing to know all the things you will need to survive camp.

In camp you will experience hardship of unknown proportions (since you claim to be a UK guy) and some of these include filthy bathrooms, inedible camp chow, continuous sweating it out on the parade ground, soldiers that wake you by 5am not caring that you went to bed just 4 hours ago. Also being a UK guy (as you claim) i am sorry for you because you will fill forms manually and queue for allowee. No computerized anything tongue. If you are not sharp, you can be on the queue all day long.

After camp, you will be posted to one hinterland secondary school where even their principal doesn't understand a word of english. Also get ready to start eating local foods that you can never imagine in your wildest imagination. Also stay away from the female indigenes of the place you are posted to. They see NYSC males as a means to an exit from poverty and oblivion in which they live in. You better take a lot of antibiotics and condoms with you because you can't tell the manner of plagues that will befall you. Also beware of female corp members because most of them are looking for husband and once you (as a UK guy) impregnate them, na marriage and UK green card them don get o!

A word is enough for the wise. JUst make the best of your service year and stay safe. Also shine your eyes and get ready to run at the slightest hint of tribal or religious uprising in your location.

So well said. I was in a similar situation and currently serving, I never had to go by public transport though. I spent 7 days in camp before I started feeling sick with an excruciating stomach ache and throwing up an average of 5 times in half an hour...I was able to sleep in intervals for a couple of hours whilst being in the clinic (horrible place where fresh medical students from uni use patients for experiment), I was allowed to go home till the final day of camp when I saw my doctor and was diagnosed with food poisoning. I went back 3 days to the end of camp to finalize my relocation to Lagos but was staying in an hotel till the final day. To cut the long story short.

The pros
1)I quite liked the skill acquisition programs that local graduate took very nonchalantly, they do not know the value of it
2)Opportunity to meet people of whatever kind (Ambitious, future entrepreneurs, politicians, armed robber, party rockers..you name it)
3) Tend to practice bear gryll's advice on survival in a very strange environment e.g using the long drop
4) Enjoy the beautiful views of the landscape (I was at Iseyin, Oyo)

Cons
1) Get food poisoning caused by the market and the camp's food. Their level of hygiene is pretty much the same
2) Sleep in an extremely cramped space with no ventilation with loads of other dudes
3) Get sun baked day in day out in scorching temperatures of well over 30 degree celcius and get a black tan..lol, trust me I wasn't this dark when I came back. Even constant application of sun screen spf 90 did not really help.
4) Queue till eternity to fill and submit forms from the very first day you arrive in camp till the last day. I was lucky I was only there for 7 days
5) Start using strange words like 'mammy', 'allowee', 'double up' 'book of life' e.t.c
6) Wake up very early for military drills, I enjoyed this cause I was hoping to loose a bit of weight ( bmi of 29.1)
7) Nasty bathrooms and toilets, the few WCs we had was servicing over 1500 male bums. So an average of a WC to 500 bums.
cool Get harassed by guys in uniform who claimed to be soldiers. Drop human rights in the UK and obey the last order else get very embarrassed on camp ground
9) Fetch water in buckets and carry over long distances, thats if you get water. Water shortage is the norm.
10) The cons are endless, I would leave it to other Nlers to continue with the cons

Not quite sure about the condoms though. Yes, there was shagging everywhere but in a very uncomfortable place? that's a huge no no for me. As for my posting, I am currently working in one of the investment banks I have been talking to before leaving the UK. Hope all these helps. Wait one last thing, the girls are quite pretty so that helped as there was something to stare at all day and before you know it the day is gone.

Forgive my typos, too long post and cant be bothered to proofread.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by tosrich(m): 11:07pm On Dec 26, 2012
Nkjay: Nysc gives u opportunity for a lot of thns,lik jobs opportunities, makin friends dat might c u thru in life, connections and most importantly u might neva knw were u wil b in future, u might nt reside there and if u happen to stay in nigeria, u ll surely need dat certificate cz no organisation employz without it.

Am a corp memba n its bin fun and full of tours. D idea bhind nysc z to reintegrate and promote tourism. Pls dear, grab d experience, it worths it. Safe jony back to naija

Are you kidding me?,,,,, did you say job opportunity?...... you will soon finish service and you will understand.

1 Like

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Nwogbe: 11:10pm On Dec 26, 2012
[quote author=Sir cuba]I pray u come naija n posted to mosquitoes barracks called camp with hot water n bromine n yeast as bread...u r lucky again to b posted in isiala ngwa lga in abia state...‘uk otondo‘ dat ur fresh uk body is soya...speakin from experience...[/q
Na wa oo. Corp members don suffer. Where r u serving ? Guess u r nt teaching.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Dec 26, 2012
Kzinne: hello guys, new to dis forum, kindly inform me how i cud make a comment on dis forum
you need not worry, all you have to do is open ya mouthmind and the words will start coming out abundantly. trust me, you dont have to do any thinking at all. just give it a try

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can NYSC Grant A Permit For A Wedding? / 10 Important Things All 2017 Batch A Stream II Should Make Available Now / Question For Foreign Trained Graduates/ Corpers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.