Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,443 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy (2645 Views)

Is It Polite For Husband To Seek Wife's Approval On This? / Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her / Pain & Mercy! My Husband Had Vasectomy Because Of Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by 1920MaMa: 3:36pm On Dec 14, 2012
I’ve been pregnant a handful of times. Once was a miscarriage. The others resulted in my family: four lovely healthy children for my husband and me. At my last check-up, my doctor asked me what my preferred method of birth control was. I told her my husband would be getting a vasectomy.
I’ve been saying that every year since our baby was born. And our baby is now four years old. The facts are simple: my husband and I are in our mid-forties, and we feel our family is complete. I am not interested in complicating my hormones at this stage by going on the pill, nor do I feel it is necessary for me to undergo surgery in order to have my tubes tied.

An IUD is not something I want to explore. I know everyone who has one loves it, but something about a piece of metal in my uterus creeps me out. Frankly, after giving birth four times, I think my body’s been through the ringer. I’ve done enough. It’s now up to my husband to be responsible for our birth control.

And so he withdraws. Yes, I am one of “those” moms. This method has worked for us for years now. My husband’s argument that he’ll eventually get snipped, but doesn’t feel it’s urgent, sort of makes sense. Every year I badger him about it, even threatening to withhold sex. But that doesn’t serve either of us very well. His younger brother’s gone through it, as have many of our friends, and still he resists. He even makes an annual New Year’s resolution – but fails to even call for an appointment, let alone show up.

He states we’ve been fine thus far. I know it hasn’t been a priority. He says he hasn’t had time. I say he’s petrified. He claims it’s me trying to control him. I claim it’s my way of keeping things under control. One thing I never say – ever – is the real reason I want him “fixed”: clearly I don’t want to have more children. But I don’t want him to have any. With me or anyone else.

We’re both healthy and fit, and hopefully will continue to stay that way long into our old age. Not to be too morbid, but bad things happen to good people, right? Also, it’s never a forgone conclusion that we’ll be together forever, though it is my fervent hope. And if something happens to us – or to me – I don’t want him biologically parenting any more children. I’ve seen it happen: man moves on, has more kids, originals are kicked to the curb. Sounds extreme, I know, but I don’t want my husband putting any other kids above – or even on par with – our own. I know he loves our children dearly, but I secretly wonder if his love is strong enough – or fierce enough – to put them first if I were out of the picture.

For now, I hope it is. And I’ll continue to push for that vasectomy, closing that chapter once and for all.

Source
Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by 1920MaMa: 3:42pm On Dec 14, 2012
Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by Callotti: 3:48pm On Dec 14, 2012
He has the right to refuse.
Why don't you get a Tubal ligation? kiss

1 Like

Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by outrage: 3:58pm On Dec 14, 2012
Would you listen yo your self?
I don't want to incert something in my uterus, but I want him to cut his b***s off! If na me be that man I'll slap the hel* out of you face. Rub.bish.
Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by k2039: 4:12pm On Dec 14, 2012
If I were your husband, I will only demonstrate extreme stupidity by giving in to your desire.
Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by armyofone(m): 4:21pm On Dec 14, 2012
ummmm, who told you the procedure cut the balls off? which book did you read that from? shocked shocked

outrage: Would you listen yo your self?
I don't want to incert something in my uterus, but I want him to cut his b***s off! If na me be that man I'll slap the hel* out of you face. Rub.bish.

1 Like

Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by dealordea(m): 5:21pm On Dec 14, 2012
Have said this times without number, not every woman are meant to co-exist with men! After having four kids! Selfish woman.. That man needs to visit cele church. Rip of his balls. Lord have mercy. The woman don chop kolanut wella..
Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 14, 2012
grin
Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by jmoore(m): 7:46pm On Dec 14, 2012
1920MaMa: I I am not interested in complicating my hormones at this stage by going on the pill, nor do I feel it is necessary for me to undergo surgery in order to have my tubes tied.

You don't feel it is necessary for you to get your tubes tied? And it is necessary for your husband to get a vasectomy smh.. Continue to tell him till next 20 years before he agrees
Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by minute(f): 8:09pm On Dec 14, 2012
Maybe you should consider hysterectomy or tubal litigation instead of making your huband do what he doesn't want to do.
Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by greatgod2012(f): 8:49pm On Dec 14, 2012
I smell selfishness!
Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by mrsoma: 11:29pm On Dec 14, 2012
0P echoed my tots on soo many levels.I don't know why it shld be up to the wife alone to supervise or worry about birth control!!.these men want everythin made easy for dem.as for me am not havin any artificial stuff stuck up on me.if withdrawl no do us then let's us continue muiltiplyin until nature takes its course.no be pesin go tell u make u go vasecto sharp sharp!!!!nonsense!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by OYINBOGOJU(m): 12:18am On Dec 15, 2012
This man don marry winch abi witch.
Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by biolabee(m): 2:23am On Dec 15, 2012
The emotions she is expressing are very real and human. She is concerned about the security of her kids over any "unborn" offspring of the husband. Well her actions may be ok but her motive is less than pure. If financial security is a major issue to make you fearful I think you should get a job or tell your hubby to open a trust fund so that their future is secured at least education wise.
The truth is that disasters can happen and it is always good to have a backup. The tragedies that befell the sosoliso plane or the anyene family were unforseen but they did happen.You need to drop this issue and start mitigation measures.
Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by Tinkybabe(f): 2:37am On Dec 15, 2012
jmoore:

You don't feel it is necessary for you to get your tubes tied? And it is necessary for your husband to get a vasectomy smh.. Continue to tell him till next 20 years before he agrees

Vasectomy is a much easier process than tubectomy.The former involves a minor surgery which isn't really life threatening as surgical complications are less..the op has a point in that regard
mrsoma: 0P echoed my tots on soo many levels.I don't know why it shld be up to the wife alone to supervise or worry about birth control!!.these men want everythin made easy for dem.as for me am not havin any artificial stuff stuck up on me.if withdrawl no do us then let's us continue muiltiplyin until nature takes its course.no be pesin go tell u make u go vasecto sharp sharp!!!!nonsense!!!

I know right!don't know why every one is calling the woman selfish,hasn't she sacrificed enough already?pain of childbirth et al.If there's anyone who's selfish here,it's the husband!we need to cut the woman some slack.
Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by greatgod2012(f): 5:23am On Dec 15, 2012
biolabee: The emotions she is expressing are very real and human. She is concerned about the security of her kids over any "unborn" offspring of the husband. Well her actions may be ok but her motive is less than pure. If financial security is a major issue to make you fearful I think you should get a job or tell your hubby to open a trust fund so that their future is secured at least education wise.
The truth is that disasters can happen and it is always good to have a backup. The tragedies that befell the sosoliso plane or the anyene family were unforseen but they did happen.You need to drop this issue and start mitigation measures.

to buttress your point, this is another tragedy thttp://www.nairaland.com/1133103/five-siblings-die-lagos-fireragedyhttp://www.nairaland.com/1133103/five-siblings-die-lagos-fire
Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by Ivynwa(f): 5:38am On Dec 15, 2012
1920MaMa: ------------[b]I am not interested in complicating my hormones at this stage by going on the pill, nor do I feel it is necessary for me to undergo surgery in order to have my tubes tied.
An IUD is not something I want to explore. I know everyone who has one loves it, but something about a piece of metal in my uterus creeps me out
--------- Every year I badger him about it, even threatening to withhold sex. But that doesn’t serve either of us very well. His younger brother’s gone through it, as have many of our friends, and still he resists. He even makes an annual New Year’s resolution – but fails to even call for an appointment, let alone show up.
He states we’ve been fine thus far. I know it hasn’t been a priority. He says he hasn’t had time. I say he’s petrified. He claims it’s me trying to control him. I claim it’s my way of keeping things under control. One thing I never say – ever – is the real reason I want him “fixed”: clearly I don’t want to have more children. But I don’t want him to have any. With me or anyone else.
[/b]

I read a part of this in Linda Ikeji's blog yesterday and stopped after reading where the writer said that the thought of having a piece of metal in her uterus creeps her out, that she is not interested in complicating her hormones with pills or undergoing surgery to have her tube tied yet she wants her husband to go get a vasectomy and is proud to tell the world that she withholds sex, badgers and harrasses him for that.

I don't want to waste my energy on the topic because the person in question seems very selfish and is fast destroying the joy of her marriage with the way she is getting on about that as according to her her husband is already feeling like she is trying to control him. What guts she've got in saying "I want him fixed because I don't want to have more children and I don't want him to have any with me or any one else". Fear is part of her motive and she is being selfish and too high handed about it.

1 Like

Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by jmoore(m): 7:42am On Dec 15, 2012
Tinkybabe:

Vasectomy is a much easier process than tubectomy.The former involves a minor surgery which isn't really life threatening as surgical complications are less..the op has a point in that regard
If you are married or when you marry tell your husband that

Tinkybabe:
I know right!don't know why every one is calling the woman selfish,hasn't she sacrificed enough already?pain of childbirth et al.If there's anyone who's selfish here,it's the husband!we need to cut the woman some slack.
Childbirth is natural. Goats, cows, dogs and many other animals don't complain of giving birth. Childbirth is not a sacrifice....smh
Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by larrymoore(m): 11:24am On Dec 15, 2012
Everybody has one story or drama to tell, what an interesting world.
Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by Mowire: 10:07pm On Dec 15, 2012
Seriously, @OP is high & over-indulged on something! (@ least IMO)
Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 16, 2012
I agree with most of the posters here. You cannot impose your birth control preferences on his genitals. After I have my 2 children, I will be opting for a copper IUD; until medical technology presents another better option.
Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by biolabee(m): 12:15pm On Dec 17, 2012
Flytefalls: I agree with most of the posters here. You cannot impose your birth control preferences on his genitals. After I have my 2 children, I will be opting for a copper IUD; until medical technology presents another better option.

GBAM!!
Re: I Want My Husband To Get A Vasectomy by breathless(m): 5:30am On Dec 18, 2012
@ OP. I suggest u simply go "scientific" by not having sex 2-3 days b4 n afta d day u ovulate during ur "circle". Was in similar situation like dis until my spouse n I worked it out. The key words here are UNDERSTANDING, DISCPLINE and SELF CONTROL. U both have 2 b deliberate abt dis. Consult a gyneacologist prefereably.
All the best.

(1) (Reply)

Who Can Tell Where His Nigerian Father Is .......( Pics ) / I Am In NIGERIA / Why Is Nairaland Becoming A Mess?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.