Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,556 members, 7,837,139 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

The Truth About Living Abroad - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Truth About Living Abroad (67339 Views)

10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 15 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by cap28: 12:11pm On Dec 15, 2012
eastOFwest:

Don't mind them! This thread is just a typical example of what the problem is in Nigeria. Nigerians can't make it abroad because the white man won't let them blah blah blah! Meanwhile Indians and Pakistanis will come from villages that are worse than places in Nigeria and make millions abroad.

Let me tell you the simple truth. A lot of Nigerians can't make it abroad because they are arrogant, very very indiscipline, fraudulent, deceitful and refuse to integrate!!

A Nigerian (living in a dingy council house) will spend thousands of pounds throwing party for "naming ceremony", "birthday party", "thanksgiving" etc, while his Indian counterpart will be saving that money for private school for his kids or to start a business. Even the white people that are comfortable will just take his kids and friends at an activity centre for a party instead of spending thousands. We are so childishly obsessed with showing off and being flashy with matured women walking around in “gelle” and gold doing “swaggalicious mummy”. A Nigerian will spend thousands on a big car, gold jewellery for parties etc., while still in debt.

Nigerians think they can bring their “any how” useless lifestyle abroad and when they don’t make it they blame it on someone else, i.e. the white man. How come Indians with very thick accents are so successful in the UK and America? I have a lot of Indian colleagues at work (and was close to one who was my neighbour) and I’ll tell you why. Hard graft and supreme self discipline. These guys are always scrimping and saving. They’ll go to the cheapest shops like BHS and primark to buy clothes; they don't care about fashion. If a Nigerian does that they call you “okoro”. If you see an Indian driving a Mercedes Benz, then it very likely that he can actually afford a Bentley.

A lot of Nigerians dey fall hand seriously in the UK where I live. Wrong priorities, no planning, frivolity, and fixation on what their mates are doing in Nigeria and they are neglecting their children due to their “anyhow” lifestyle. A record number of children of Nigerian parentage are being removed by social services and joining street gangs. You’ll spend thousands on cars, parties and jewellery, and just dump your kids in the local bog standard school to mix with riff raffs and expect what? Prisons in the UK are full of Nigerians of all backgrounds. Even professional people like accountants are ending up in jail (I personally know 4 people like that) due to fraud.

Let the truth be told, the Nigerian lifestyle stinks and that is the reason why so many cannot make it anywhere but in Nigeria where anything goes. In Nigeria, the more ingeniously corrupt & fraudulent you are, the better your chances are of making it! All those virtues of hard work, self discipline etc are seen as suffering. If Indian village boys can make it in the UK, then why can’t Nigerian city dwellers? Stop all these silly excuses, fix up and stop blaming the white man or the system. You cannot cannot continue to behave like you are still in Lagos and expect to make it.

Having said that, there are a lot of Nigerians who smartly adopt the positive aspects of their host countries and combine it with discipline, hard work and “Nigerian hustle” to make a very comfortable wealthy lifestyle for themselves.

YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CLUELESS!!! GOSH

to think that you can even speak with contempt about british council flats shows just how fcking s.tupid you are - do you know the lives that have been saved from destitution because of low cost housing in this country, to think you have the temerity to describe british council flats as dingy when the poor in nigeria live in the type of environment that many people in the west would never allow their pets to live in !!!!! JEEZ TALK ABOUT SELF DELUSION.

70% of the population of your country live in substandard accomodation, do not have access to proper health care, do not have access to standard education, do not have access to jobs that will enable them live on a liveable wage and yet, and yet you have the nerve to speak so dismissively about council housing in the UK!!!!!!

YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF WORLD HISTORY EQUALS TO ZERO - DO YOU THINK ASIANS AND AFRICANS ARE IN THE SAME BOAT, HAVE YOU HEARD OF DIVIDE AND CONQUER? do you think the white man will allow you access to upward mobility in a world that he controls? the white man owns you and your continent, every valuable resource in africa is owned and controlled by the white man - COMPRENDE?

when the british were in india they built railways, universities, colleges etc compare that to the level of "development" they left behind in africa - the truth is the white man sees the african as the lowest form of human life, the evidence is out there for you to see, he gives the asian more opportunities within his system of white supremacy but ensures that the black african irrespective of his knowledge remains at the bottom - FACT! why ? because he never ever wants the african to compete with him or usurp his position - try reading history - it will help you.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by sean079: 12:13pm On Dec 15, 2012
I av bin reading through nairaland post and thread for some years now but av not actively contribute to the most of these of post. regarding this issue i think our government back home are not performing there responsibility. i for once dont welcome the idea of living abroad but wen i was faced with the issue of life i av to admit that we are living in failed society in nigeria. actually the gap in wages in nigeria is enormous and the populace is bin used as slave,in europe imagine a cleaner wages and somebody working in office is very close i mean there is a minimum wage that you can pay to your workers which is ok for them. wen i graduated then i was willing to do anything to survive and i was oppportuned to work as salesman for one of our church member then i think my salary then was 20k permonth and after transportation and other deduction i think i would be left with 2k or so. now coming to europe and looking at all these guys doing this menial job are living comfortably and even aving almost 50percent of the money into saving. i came here to study and really everi corner in the university has computing system, meals are subsidised and a lot of benefits i cannot mention. now if we back home av all this who do u fink will leave the country for abroad so a lot of wrong is much in the country
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by cap28: 12:18pm On Dec 15, 2012
chuquiz:
A WHITE MAN PAYING YOU LESS, BUT IN NAIJA YOU SEE WORK ANY PLACE
YOU ARGUMENT IS NOT RATIONAL. AT LEAST YOU GET YOUR WAGES EVEN WITH BENEFITS AND THEY DONT LOOK DOWN ON YOU

my argument is not rational to you because you do not understand how capitalism works.

Your naija is also owned by the same white man - he is 100% responsible for the reason that there are no jobs in your country - research the world bank and IMF and how they operate to keep african countries in perpetual debt and subservience.

you get your wages in the western world but you get far less than a citizen of that country would work for - as a result you work to enrich the corporations and you undercut the indigenous workers because you will take anything. this is actually the reason why racism is on the rise in the west as we speak.

poverty back home causes immigrant africans desperate to work for anything in the western world - which is good news for western businesses and corporations - wake up!
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by cap28: 12:39pm On Dec 15, 2012
africans are helping to oil the wheels of capitalism in the western world - why? because the average african immigrant is poor and desperate - they make ideal workers within the western cap;italist system because they remain eternally gratefull that they have been saved from destitution and starvation in their home countries (by the way these conditions in their home countries are the brainchild of western banks and corporations) so the western world effectively destroys the economy of your home country and then offers you the "opportunity" by way of visa lottery to come to their own country to live and work as a second class citizen in order to further build up and enrich their own country. and yet many nigerians remain blind to these facts and continue to delude themselves that they are being done a favour by being allowed to work round the clock in the western world. To those of you who remain wilfully blind - ask yourselves this question - if africa is so poor why are so many western multinationals in africa making trillions of dollars while you continue to exit africa en masse for life as a second class citizen in the western world working for a pittance until you die?
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by sean079: 12:49pm On Dec 15, 2012
av really looked at the two colors i.e black and white and i found out that gave one the blessing to think logically and gave the other irrational thinking faculty i believe evrifin thing that each color need to survive is present in the environment. now i lived in the country where there major survival is tree i mean wood this people are saying by 2015 there would av construst three nuclear plant that they are planning to be exporter of electricity, now so far u are a citizen without employment i mean even we african you are entitled to salary evri month that can cater for your upkeep. now my dear country blessed with anything you can think about where are we
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by eastOFwest(m): 12:55pm On Dec 15, 2012
cap28:

YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CLUELESS!!! GOSH

to think that you can even speak with contempt about british council flats shows just how fcking s.tupid you are - do you know the lives that have been saved from destitution because of low cost housing in this country, to think you have the temerity to describe british council flats as dingy when the poor in nigeria live in the type of environment that many people in the west would never allow their pets to live in !!!!! JEEZ TALK ABOUT SELF DELUSION.

70% of the population of your country live in substandard accomodation, do not have access to proper health care, do not have access to standard education, do not have access to jobs that will enable them live on a liveable wage and yet, and yet you have the nerve to speak so dismissively about council housing in the UK!!!!!!

YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF WORLD HISTORY EQUALS TO ZERO - DO YOU THINK ASIANS AND AFRICANS ARE IN THE SAME BOAT, HAVE YOU HEARD OF DIVIDE AND CONQUER? do you think the white man will allow you access to upward mobility in a world that he controls? the white man owns you and your continent, every valuable resource in africa is owned and controlled by the white man - COMPRENDE?

when the british were in india they built railways, universities, colleges etc compare that to the level of "development" they left behind in africa - the truth is the white man sees the african as the lowest form of human life, the evidence is out there for you to see, he gives the asian more opportunities within his system of white supremacy but ensures that the black african irrespective of his knowledge remains at the bottom - FACT! why ? because he never ever wants the african to compete with him or usurp his position - try reading history - it will help you.

I will describe a flat as dingy if it is dingy! So because some people live in mud houses in Nigeria I cannot call a spade a spade?! It's this same mentality that is used when u criticise something in Nigeria and u ar told to shut up "as if u can do better" or "is it any better in your place?".

Didn't the white man also build schools, colleges and railways in Africa? What the hell are you talking about?! Of course, they had more to do in Africa because India had attained a certain level of advancement (which I'm sure is due to Their culture and lifestyle) when the white man came. However, that is no excuse! You don't expect the whole world to adjust to suit the Blackman? For chances to be "created" for us! We should fix up, adjust, do what is supposed to be done and stop moaning about "forces" against us, real or imagined.

2 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by RealMccoy2(m): 1:01pm On Dec 15, 2012
eastOFwest:

I will describe a flat as dingy if it is dingy! So because some people live in mud houses in Nigeria I cannot call a spade a spade?! It's this same mentality that is used when u criticise something in Nigeria and u ar told to shut up "as if u can do better" or "is it any better in your place?".

Didn't the white man also build schools, colleges and railways in Africa? What the hell are you talking about?! Of course, they had more to do in Africa because India had attained a certain level of advancement (which I'm sure is due to Their culture and lifestyle) when the white man came. However, that is no excuse! You don't expect the whole world to adjust to suit the Blackman? For chances to be "created" for us! We should fix up, adjust, do what is supposed to be done and stop moaning about "forces" against us, real or imagined.

Conspiracy way of thinking should be erased from black people of our generation mind in other for us to move on.....Rwanda of today is better that Nigeria in terms of business potentials and good governance . ... I am tired of the blame others game....good post bruv
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by cap28: 1:05pm On Dec 15, 2012
sean079: av really looked at the two colors i.e black and white and i found out that gave one the blessing to think logically and gave the other irrational thinking faculty i believe evrifin thing that each color need to survive is present in the environment. now i lived in the country where there major survival is tree i mean wood this people are saying by 2015 there would av construst three nuclear plant that they are planning to be exporter of electricity, now so far u are a citizen without employment i mean even we african you are entitled to salary evri month that can cater for your upkeep. now my dear country blessed with anything you can think about where are we

you are a functional illiterate - who built the egyptian pyramids, black or white people?

who are the pioneers in the fields of astrology,mathematics, irrigation, architecture and medicine - black or white people?

dont ever come here peddling your self hatred because you will be b..itch slapped.

start developing your brain by reading about your own history, not history abridged and revised by western racists.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by cap28: 1:09pm On Dec 15, 2012
eastOFwest:

have you heard of the dark ages? did you know europeans lived in caves when africans had already attained advanced levels of civilisation - all of this information is hidden from self hating eurocentrics like yourself.

where are the schools and universities the british built in nigeria prior to 1960? you hate yourself thats why you have the guts to describe india as being more advanced than africa despite the fact that africa taught the greeks and romans everything they came to know- go and read about your history and stop disgracing yourself
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by manny4life(m): 1:18pm On Dec 15, 2012
bakila:
Retirement and 401K, THAT IS NOT GETTING RICH.
OP HAS SAID IT ALL. YOU WANT WEALTH YOU CAN MAKE IT AT HOME THROUGH HARDWORK. THEIR IS ORDER AND FUNCTIONALITY OUTSIDE.
AT LEAST HE HAS WARNED DOES GOING THAT YOU MUST NOT RUSH.

Apparently, you failed to understand the concept I was driving at. The term "RICH" is definitely not absolute, it's relative to different components. Perhaps, I don't know what you refer to as "getting rich". I thought "being rich" or "wealthy" depended on your assets, at least. I'll rather stick with a wealthier net worth long term, than deal with short term rich.

Retirement, 401, IRA, mutual funds, etc are are securities investment, it doesn't really matter how you define it. It's the same reason why China is able to borrow U.S. billions because they're more so into saving such as these.

Like people who are in Nigeria haven't work hard enough, YET, they're still living under severe conditions. My friend, there are components that make people rich, once the system is lacking, you can't help it. The average Nigerian works harder than the average American in terms of hard work, YET, an average American lives a better life than the average Nigerian... go figure.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by sean079: 1:22pm On Dec 15, 2012
cap28:

you are a functional illiterate - who built the egyptian pyramids, black or white people?

who are the pioneers in the fields of astrology,mathematics, irrigation, architecture and medicine - black or white people?

dont ever come here peddling your self hatred because you will be b..itch slapped.

start developing your brain by reading about your own history, not history abridged and revised by western racists.

[color=#006600][/color]

Guy get my statement ryt am not talking about who developed this or that buh is about logical thinking ie what should be done at the right time, an average white man think about what should be done at the ryt time and there way of lifestyle speak a lot about this. how many standard hospital do you av in ur state, wat is the state of road in your state, how many schools av bin rehabilitated, wat is the transportation system like, do u av some basic amenities in place, d security system is ok, wat about prevention against major catastrophe is it in place, wat abt water supply is it functioning, can you boast of 5hrs power supply in state, pls this are the kind of logical thinking am talking about that does not even required 10 percent resources to achieve
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Gsluv(m): 1:22pm On Dec 15, 2012
The issue of living abroad or living in Nigeria is a question of personal opinion. Every human has a tendency of viewing and judging things based oon hi opinion and present circumstance he's going thru. You can't blame a guy who's parents have worked their life to ensure he's cmfortable, he has the right to say he prefers Nigeria, its not his fault, he was simply born into it by Grace. However you can't also blame a guy who's the first born of the family, finished from uni with a very good result nd yet finds it hard to get a good and still has plans to get married and pay house rent nd all, he also has the right to want to leave the country to where he will pay off anf live normal and cmfortable one. I think before u cast aspersion, u need to be empathic as to the situation of each one. If u prefer living in Nigeria and want to make it here, the sky is your limit. If you want to travel abroad and have a zeal to make it also, the sky is your limit. Time and chance happens to us all.

@Godogwu you have made us understnd u got a rich background, well thnks to God nd ur parents who have afforded u d opporunity but dnt make travelling abroad look like a sin to someone else jst cos u cmfortable hve it all worked out. One thing u shld knw is u serzly do not know what maany bright young chaps who might be even smarter than you or I are going thru. Dnt get me wrong m nt castn u but making u realise something, I also m grad owning my own biz with the intention of travelling abroad for my masters and after a while come back home and build empire #Godhelpme but the fact that I'm cmfortable doesn't mean another brother is, all fingers are not equal believe me. Nigeria is failed, there's no point arguing it. A friend jst wrot me from cyprus and said "if we all say a change is coming, at least that means there are some things already being put in place to facilitate d future change, but what are our leaders puttn in place NOW to facilitate that change?"

Naija ppl abroad, remain focused; Naija ppl here remain focusedn the sky is always our limit.

3 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by sean079: 1:29pm On Dec 15, 2012
cap28:

[color=#000099][/color]pls i beg you in the name of God to leave your country for one second so that you can c d difference btw the two color cos wen i read about the history of my present community i fink they began there journey around 1967 or there about and some african country av got there freedom even in 1818 n yet noting to show for this
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by ronnietilo: 1:32pm On Dec 15, 2012
@OP

Do the super rich americans also do corrupt deals with the government. Do they get away with over inflated contracts which they dont even execute? Why do we only see MONEY as the center of existence?

Hard work with Grace of God even in hellish circumstances will give you a level of comfort which is all you require.
Not everyone is interested in being Adenuga or Dangote who have benefited from a tilted playing field.And not everyone wants to have to tell a lie to earn a living - which is how 95% of Nigerians probably make their money .

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 1:40pm On Dec 15, 2012
Biafra rep: What a very daft analysis, have you been to a place called banana island in Lagos and seen how the Dangotes, Adenuga's et al live? How many average Canadians can afford to live in Banana island or Maitama? You have a very low self esteem and most certainly would be scavenging for crumbs on the streets of Ottawa!

Lol, I was completely perplexed by the post. you don't even have to go as far as banana island or Maitama. Even GRA in port harcourt, Wuse in Abuja, Magodo estate or Lekki in Lagos; how many diaspora Nigerians in Canada can afford to own houses there? the most they can do (with the exception of a few) is to build houses in their villages where the fathers or grand fathers left plots of land for them.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by cap28: 1:42pm On Dec 15, 2012
sean079: [color=#006600][/color]

Guy get my statement ryt am not talking about who developed this or that buh is about logical thinking ie what should be done at the right time, an average white man think about what should be done at the ryt time and there way of lifestyle speak a lot about this. how many standard hospital do you av in ur state, wat is the state of road in your state, how many schools av bin rehabilitated, wat is the transportation system like, do u av some basic amenities in place, d security system is ok, wat about prevention against major catastrophe is it in place, wat abt water supply is it functioning, can you boast of 5hrs power supply in state, pls this are the kind of logical thinking am talking about that does not even required 10 percent resources to achieve

and this is why i would like for you to read about the IMF and the world bank and how they are actively working aroudn the clock to ensure that we remain underdeveloped, poverty stricken, war torn and in a state of permanent chaos - read about how these organisations finance military coups, destabilisation projects, arming and funding of disgruntled elements within african countries in order to ensure that we remain in a state of permanent chaos, let me educate you - an average white man thinks about how he and his entire race can remain in a position of control and power over you the black man till eternity - this is known as white supremacy, on the other hand the average black man is thinking about how he can be better than his fellow black man - do you see the difference? individual thinking versus collective thinking - individual thinking can only get you as far as your individual capacity, whereas collective thinking can enable you to defeat entire populations, do you know that the europeans are the minority race on this planet? but you wouldnt think that is the case when you think of what they have accomplished. why have they been able to accomplish so much? because they are UNITED - britain, canada, europe , australia, south africa, new zealand and the united states work as one entity against the rest of the world contrast this to how africa works, infact contrast this to how nigeria works - igbo versus yoruba, hausa versus igbo - no unity - that is and will remain our downfall, recognise that as long as you are a black man in this current dispensation you arae the enemy of the white man whose sole objective in life is to ensure that he remains in a position of dominance over you.

all of the issues that you have mentioned can never be resolved until the root of our problem is uprooted and destroyed, nigeria is still the property of britain and america - we obtained flag independence, the northern oligarchy were installed by the british in order to protect their investement, we are still in bondage, the igbos tried to secede from this bondage but were decimated - had the igbos and yorubas been united we would have defeated western imperialism and today we would have been in control of our destiny just like the chinese are. stop living in a fool's paradise and open your eyes, the future of the black race depends on the ability of the most populated black nation on the planet to forge its own destiny, but this will mean confronting and defeating our enemy - white supremacy - do we have the guts to accomplish what the chinese succeeded in accomplishing?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 1:42pm On Dec 15, 2012
UNLEASHED:

Are you kidding me?

oh you didn't know this? forgive me...now have a bench please \______
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 1:48pm On Dec 15, 2012
eastOFwest:

You are the one who is exposing his daftness! Do u know how many billionaires you have in America? Do you know how many places like banana island or better that you have in America? People just Decide to type nonsense high on God knows what.

If Nigeria was "normal" it wouldn't be possible for dangote to be worth $13billion! Based on the GDP's of Nigeria and USA, he's equivalent in USA will be worth trillions! Don't you know that dangote and his like are the biggest crooks of them all? Colluding with government officials to corner swathes of Nigeria in a way that is not possible in any sane country!

Banana island my foot! I'll happily trade that for constant electricity, effective police and good healthcare any day!!!

yes , america has billionaires but frankly we are talking about Nigerians in diaspora and not actual Americans aii. Dangote?.... crook? adenuga? crook?, jim ovia?... crook? Alakija?... crook?....dude, I suggest you Google and stop ranting.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 1:56pm On Dec 15, 2012
Real-Mccoy:
My advise for Nigerian Youths with great potential is, leave the country if you are at age 18 to 35 and if you don't fall into those age bracket, remain in Nigeria.

what an advice...leave the country?

I think some people here feel they have something like a "second home base". Its laughable.

So imagine if everybody in that age bracket were to take your dumb advice; who will build Nigeria? the 0-17 year olds, or the 36-100 year olds. Dude, check yourself; you're the reason for your misfortune.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by cap28: 2:04pm On Dec 15, 2012
Real-Mccoy:
My advise for Nigerian Youths with great potential is, leave the country if you are at age 18 to 35 and if you don't fall into those age bracket, remain in Nigeria.

yes, spend the most productive years of your life working as a cleaner, security guard, bouncer or care assistant for a cold, ruthless capitalist exploiter whose only concern is how to make as much profit as possible without having to incur high overheads - way to go son!
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by cap28: 2:11pm On Dec 15, 2012
ronnietilo: @OP

Do the super rich americans also do corrupt deals with the government. Do they get away with over inflated contracts which they dont even execute? Why do we only see MONEY as the center of existence?

Hard work with Grace of God even in hellish circumstances will give you a level of comfort which is all you require.
Not everyone is interested in being Adenuga or Dangote who have benefited from a tilted playing field.And not everyone wants to have to tell a lie to earn a living - which is how 95% of Nigerians probably make their money .

actually they do - read up on the 2008 economic collapse in the western world and what triggered it, you will find that it was the major banks in the US and europe who are are corrupt as hell, but who have total control over their respective governments.

the super rich in america not only are involved in corrupt deals with the US govt THEY OWN THE US GOVT!!! THEY OWN THE MEDIA, THE BANKS AND THEY EVEN OWN THE CORPORATION THAT PRINTS MONEY - THE FEDERAL RESERVE, THEREFORE THEY ARE A LAW UNTO THEMSELVES BECAUSE AS ONE FAMOUS US PLUTOCRAT MAYER ROTHSCHILD ONCE SAID: GIVE ME CONTROL OF A NATION'S MONEY AND I CARE NOT WHO MAKES ITS LAWS.

2 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by eastOFwest(m): 2:12pm On Dec 15, 2012
Godogwu:

Lol, I was completely perplexed by the post. you don't even have to go as far as banana island or Maitama. Even GRA in port harcourt, Wuse in Abuja, Magodo estate or Lekki in Lagos; how many diaspora Nigerians in Canada can afford to own houses there? the most they can do (with the exception of a few) is to build houses in their villages where the fathers or grand fathers left plots of land for them.

What percentage of Nigerians can afford to live in these places you described? Do u know that is where all your money for electricity, potable water, healthcare, good roads, education lies? In the hands of a few people! And u are applauding it?
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by eastOFwest(m): 2:16pm On Dec 15, 2012
Godogwu:

yes , america has billionaires but frankly we are talking about Nigerians in diaspora and not actual Americans aii. Dangote?.... crook? adenuga? crook?, jim ovia?... crook? Alakija?... crook?....dude, I suggest you Google and stop ranting.

YES! They all belong to a small group of people eating your money on your behalf so that you can google them and be proud of them for making billions on your behalf. You have made it indeed!
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Nobody: 2:16pm On Dec 15, 2012
Very nice write up
From my observation the people that make it in America are mostly the men that came after their first degree in Nigeria then got higher degrees here,they are more focused and know what they want when they left NIgeria,they are likely to have those jobs they got after the higher degrees file for work permits,green card etc legally.

The groups that stay struggling are mostly

1. The illiterates or not so well educated who migrate especially with visitors visa .there is not much you can do without an education except menial jobs, even at that the menial jobs now ask for papers. It is also harder to get legal papers legally.Many end up as cab drivers answering people's names to get a job.

2. The young kids that are shipped over after high school,many never recover from the sudden freedom from their parents,many drop out to live wild life styles some go into crime,end up in ail

3. People who migrate when they are over the age of 35.
IMHO if you are over 35 and have a fairly good job or business in nigeria don't ever think of migrating with a visitors visa
You will suffer beyond belief
Most relatives will want to kick you out in a month or two.You cannot get a job,drivers license,move around except you live in Boston or NY where there are trains.You will regret coming.

I still believe that America and Canada are the best places to migrate to
Italy,Spain,Germany Belgium,except you got a job that took you there,it is Harder to get papers, plus the language barrier, many of the girls become prostitutes and the men turn to crime to survive.

The London/ UK crew,all na mouth.If you see where and how they live there,you will weep.Most live in the worst area of town and work many hours ,hiding from the police along the way.
Most of them are collecting government welfare.Many who travelled there leaving good jobs in nigeria regret it
It is also easier to get to than US or Canada
The women will carry weave on their hair for months on end,children look scruffy with London okirika clothes.
Sadly many Nigerian kids in England fall by the wayside because of the poor neighborhoods they live in and type of kids they live in the midst of.
Many of the adults,a large number work menial jobs for years .

Going to Yemen and Oman or Saudi and any middle eastern country is a suicide mission,First of all they hate blacks with a passion and make no pretense of it and their human rights clock is stuck in 1400 AD.YOu are better off in any part of NIgeria unless you are a doctor going to do boi boi at their hospitals,you may have to work as houseboy or prostitute to survive and they day they want to kill you,they will accuse you of a crime,write it in a language you cannot read,try you and sentence you in a strange language without a translator and your own will finish.

You have been warned.

3 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Ozegbe(m): 2:17pm On Dec 15, 2012
Am i the only one seeing this: IMO there is nothing wrong with the house the OP used to buttress his point.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 2:19pm On Dec 15, 2012
Gsluv: The issue of living abroad or living in Nigeria is a question of personal opinion. Every human has a tendency of viewing and judging things based oon hi opinion and present circumstance he's going thru. You can't blame a guy who's parents have worked their life to ensure he's cmfortable, he has the right to say he prefers Nigeria, its not his fault, he was simply born into it by Grace. However you can't also blame a guy who's the first born of the family, finished from uni with a very good result nd yet finds it hard to get a good and still has plans to get married and pay house rent nd all, he also has the right to want to leave the country to where he will pay off anf live normal and cmfortable one. I think before u cast aspersion, u need to be empathic as to the situation of each one. If u prefer living in Nigeria and want to make it here, the sky is your limit. If you want to travel abroad and have a zeal to make it also, the sky is your limit. Time and chance happens to us all.

@Godogwu you have made us understnd u got a rich background, well thnks to God nd ur parents who have afforded u d opporunity but dnt make travelling abroad look like a sin to someone else jst cos u cmfortable hve it all worked out. One thing u shld knw is u serzly do not know what maany bright young chaps who might be even smarter than you or I are going thru. Dnt get me wrong m nt castn u but making u realise something, I also m grad owning my own biz with the intention of travelling abroad for my masters and after a while come back home and build empire #Godhelpme but the fact that I'm cmfortable doesn't mean another brother is, all fingers are not equal believe me. Nigeria is failed, there's no point arguing it. A friend jst wrot me from cyprus and said "if we all say a change is coming, at least that means there are some things already being put in place to facilitate d future change, but what are our leaders puttn in place NOW to facilitate that change?"

Naija ppl abroad, remain focused; Naija ppl here remain focusedn the sky is always our limit.

I totally agree with you but to some extent. Sincerly I dont't consider myself or my family rich...I would always tell anybody " we're comfortable, middle class etc", some people may consider us wealthy but I insist we aren't. I have friends who's parents are extremely wealthy and frankly they may not even have to work a day in their lives; going to school for some of them is just to get that knowledge so they can run their parents various businesses. Frankly because of the way I carry myself they are comfortable around me; I don't go kissing peoples feet because their parents are wealthier than mine...nahhh not atall. I myself want to be wealthier than my parents thats why I study hard in school and try as much as possible to make good grades.

Again I agree with you about everyone having their own choices; I'm not forcing anyone to come back to Nigeria...my point is that so many paint the US, Uk etc as heaven like you pick money on the streets or whatever. Those same people will paint Nigeria as hell; everyone is suffering, no power, no water,"nothing works" bla bla bla. The "nothing works" statement kills me!!, I beg to ask "what have you tried?" Some people expect to get success without laboring for it.... and the rest completely sickens me because I know the Nigeria I live in. Like i've said before, there are opportunities everywhere, someone just needs to get of their lazy butts and grab them.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by ChopUrMoni: 2:21pm On Dec 15, 2012

2 Likes

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 2:26pm On Dec 15, 2012
eastOFwest:

What percentage of Nigerians can afford to live in these places you described? Do u know that is where all your money for electricity, potable water, healthcare, good roads, education lies? In the hands of a few people! And u are applauding it?

what percentage of the US population can live in the Hamptons, Beverly hills etc.... PLEASEE!!!

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by princeonx: 2:28pm On Dec 15, 2012
Godogwu:

So for someone living in Canada that probably spend a month or two in a year or two years to own/build a house even in the village and still own or even rent one in Canada is nothing to you? You guys need your head check seriously and that's why the crime and stealing rate in that naija will always be on the high side. Nothing de satisfy people with your mentality for real.
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by Godogwu: 2:29pm On Dec 15, 2012
eastOFwest:

YES! They all belong to a small group of people eating your money on your behalf so that you can google them and be proud of them for making billions on your behalf. You have made it indeed!

LOL!! your money? did your father or grandfather give them N1million to keep for you? yea, I thought so...

Just so you know Dangote and Alakija were born into pretty wealthy families..
Re: The Truth About Living Abroad by eastOFwest(m): 2:34pm On Dec 15, 2012
cap28:

have you heard of the dark ages? did you know europeans lived in caves when africans had already attained advanced levels of civilisation - all of this information is hidden from self hating eurocentrics like yourself.

where are the schools and universities the british built in nigeria prior to 1960? you hate yourself thats why you have the guts to describe india as being more advanced than africa despite the fact that africa taught the greeks and romans everything they came to know- go and read about your history and stop disgracing yourself

History is there for us to learn, not for us to dwell on it and be arrogant! Its a new world order and things have changed. In fact, things are changing as we type here. China, Brazil, India, these people are slowly but surely taking over. Is it happening "because the Americans & British let them?". Please get real!

The Greeks once ran the world, and where are they now? Where are the Egyptians now? You can't just sit on your arse and be proud because "you once taught so so and so to read"?! Things change and you either adjust or get left behind!

Back to the subject. Nobody put a gun to anybody's head and asked them to travel abroad. So when you get there (or if you were born there of African parents) why can't you just dig in and do your absolute best to achieve. Why do you expect to be treated specially because you come from a continent that once taught the Greeks? Why do you want everyone to adjust for you. Racism exists(just like tribal discrimination in Nigeria) and will always exist, so deal with it.

Please don't deceive yourself, Indians and Pakistanis are discriminated against heavily too!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

New Drone That Allows Humans Fly Launched (Photos, Video) / Warning To Women Coming To Turkey For Prostitution(photos) / See this Hilarious "Road Bump" Spotted In Nigeria (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.