Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,672 members, 7,823,897 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

"You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo - Business (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo (21458 Views)

Ezekwesili Or Soludo Likely To Be CBN Governor, To Replace Emefiele - Guardian / Latest About Wonder Banks As Sanusi Takes Over Cbn Shame To Soludo / Cbn Revalues Naira, N20 To Be Highest Bill, Many Thanks To Soludo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 5:20pm On Feb 20, 2008
Kobojunkie:

People do spray those as well. All Currencies are sprayable. If the person can afford to spray benjamins, there is no law against doing so and again, money spraying happens all over the World. It is not only practised by Nigerians and so it is not just Nigerian money that is sprayed around the world everyday.

na lie!
Oyinbo no dey spray.
even African Americans wey get Naija heritage no dey spray.
I've attended a Sierra Leonean function,no spraying.
Spraying is as Nigerian as eating Isiewu at Uwani.
na only us
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 5:30pm On Feb 20, 2008
nwando:

na lie!
Oyinbo no dey spray.
even African Americans wey get Naija heritage no dey spray.
I've attended a Sierra Leonean function,no spraying.
Spraying is as Nigerian as eating Isiewu at Uwani.
na only us

Check out the Strip club up your street to be sure of that claim please. I ask you go this night and then when next you have time, visit las vegas to make sure that claim is true.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by romeo(m): 5:50pm On Feb 20, 2008
Yeah typical of Nigerians!! cheesy cheesy

We are short sighted most of the times, The banking reforms carried out by the CBN was criticised by some people in Nigeria but today a good majority of Nigerians are benefitting from it

Money spraying is one obnoxious ostentatious way of intimidating the the poor, We are all asking why there is too much crime and corruption in Nigeria and not so in other countries that are way poorer than our dear nation!!

The answer is that the poor youths can not stand the pressure coming from money spraying machines during festivities and thus making every youth to be too money conscious

The law is good if it can help keep the Naira bills clean and healthy
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by efuah(f): 5:52pm On Feb 20, 2008
oziomatv:

bABE WHY SWEATING ME? just kidding
Sweating you? for where? I won the bet remember. . . at the sports section. So you're simply needed in ma hse! that's all grin tongue
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by dejiman(m): 6:05pm On Feb 20, 2008
It's such a shame.
I can't believe the level at which we still have Star Illiterate. He as been traveling all around the world please let us ask him how many times he has been sprayed? and even besides that He only belives on what he is going to chop on peoples money.He is not looking at the future.He doesn't know they spend lots of money creating the naira notes, which the effects bounce back on the poor nigerians.
Well as for me The should enforce the law. And Nigerians should start living right. Enough is Enough
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by creamdream: 6:08pm On Feb 20, 2008
Spraying is illegal, but then notthing can be done to realy enforce it
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by oziomatv(m): 6:13pm On Feb 20, 2008
efuah:

Sweating you? for where? I won the bet remember. . . at the sports section. So you're simply needed in ma hse! that's all grin tongue

You need me in your house? , God abeg oooo
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by HotFunmi1(f): 6:38pm On Feb 20, 2008
By Dejiman,
It's such a shame.
I can't believe the level at which we still have Star Illiterate. He as been traveling all around the world please let us ask him how many times he has been sprayed? and even besides that He only belives on what he is going to chop on peoples money.He is not looking at the future.He doesn't know they spend lots of money creating the naira notes, which the effects bounce back on the poor nigerians.
Well as for me The should enforce the law. And Nigerians should start living right. Enough is Enough
To be frank, the Nigerians here spray them with money although you cannot compare it with how much they get sprayed in Naija, besides, most of those guys that spray them are credit card fraudstars and now the feds are chasing them around, they don't usually do it again. KWAM1 is the number one beneficiary from these crooks.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Germannig: 6:42pm On Feb 20, 2008
Sunny Ade is the king (KSA) of idiots and beggars. Case closed
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Lumzi(m): 11:16pm On Feb 20, 2008
Nigerians dont like the truth. Why cant we spray money? Dont u just love it when u r at a party and someone is spraying u?
Must we always follow oyinbo? Where else in the world do they spray money? Im quite sure Naija is one of the few places if not the only. Why give money- the love of which is the root of all evil- so much respect? Lets keep spraying. We can stop folding and putting it in bras and shit but we cant take spraying away from Nigeria. I mean I was at a party with many of these hypocrites that tell us to stop spraying and they did not object in the least. So why? They should find sumn better to do than wasting our money on adverts that will not change a thing!
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by tpia: 11:48pm On Feb 20, 2008
is it that hard to follow simple instructions. haba.

People who are used to spraying should put a big tray on the side and let the dancing sprayers drop the cash in it. Or present the money in envelopes. Or find some other solution.

I dont see the reason why this topic generated so much controversy o.

Musicians who depend on spraying for their livelihood can consider increasing their performance fees to cover the difference, if they cant think of an alternative way of spraying. After all, when people want to throw parties, money is usually no object.

Or folks who cant imagine a world without spraying should continue opposing the measure.

Either way, **shrugs** undecided
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by SkyBlue1: 12:40am On Feb 21, 2008
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by SkyBlue1: 12:42am On Feb 21, 2008
romeo:

Yeah typical of Nigerians!! cheesy cheesy

We are short sighted most of the times, The banking reforms carried out by the CBN was criticised by some people in Nigeria but today a good majority of Nigerians are benefitting from it

Money spraying is one obnoxious ostentatious way of intimidating the the poor, We are all asking why there is too much crime and corruption in Nigeria and not so in other countries that are way poorer than our dear nation!!

The answer is that the poor youths can not stand the pressure coming from money spraying machines during festivities and thus making every youth to be too money conscious

The law is good if it can help keep the Naira bills clean and healthy
Romeo, i you really seriously saying that the youths of today are taking up armed robbery and there is soo much violence because of spraying? Are you really trying to make that arguement? I guess i was wrong, forget that there are no jobs around, that the universities are on strike a lot, that government rather hire foreign companies because the institution does not work, that there is no job creation, that the youth might feel cheated because politicians continue to rob Nigerian youths everyday and they can't seem to retaliate but go against society. Forget all that people, once we kill this spraying habit, all of this would go away. Solodu should forget about improving value of Naira, about economic reforms other than redenominating, about the welfare of banks and banking refoms, about creating an avenue for small busineeses to be profitable, i could go on. But please let us all forget about all of this, everyone stop. THE BAN ON SPRAYING IS THE ANSWER TO NIGERIA'S PROBLEMS
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 1:31am On Feb 21, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Check out the up your street to be sure of that claim please. I ask you go this night and then when next you have time, visit las vegas to make sure that claim is true.

my dear
so you are now comparing nudie dancers and sex hawkers in sin city to King Sunny Ade and innocent couples doing naming ceremony in Nigeria e kwa?

Please let's stick to the comparisons on the same levels.

How many oyibo weddings have you seen them spray (anything else but rice)
and how many times have you seen beyonce's entourage with polythene bags picking up one one dollar?
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 1:35am On Feb 21, 2008
nwando:

my dear
so you are now comparing nudie dancers and sex hawkers in sin city to King Sunny Ade and innocent couples doing naming ceremony in Nigeria e kwa?

Please let's stick to the comparisons on the same levels.

How many oyibo weddings have you seen them spray (anything else but rice)
and how many times have you seen beyonce's entourage with polythene bags picking up one one dollars?

It is not about comparing, it is about seeing things as they are. We spray they spray, everybody sprays. NO matter how it is done or where, spraying is spraying. It is not a Nigeria only phenomena. It is world over. Even if you watch some of these rap music videos you get to see lots of spraying going on. It has nothing to do with just Nigeria.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by romeo(m): 1:50am On Feb 21, 2008
Sky Blue:

Romeo, i you really seriously saying that the youths of today are taking up armed robbery and there is soo much violence because of spraying? Are you really trying to make that arguement? I guess i was wrong, forget that there are no jobs around, that the universities are on strike a lot, that government rather hire foreign companies because the institution does not work, that there is no job creation, that the youth might feel cheated because politicians continue to rob Nigerian youths everyday and they can't seem to retaliate but go against society. Forget all that people, once we kill this spraying habit, all of this would go away. Solodu should forget about improving value of Naira, about economic reforms other than redenominating, about the welfare of banks and banking refoms, about creating an avenue for small busineeses to be profitable, i could go on. But please let us all forget about all of this, everyone stop. THE BAN ON SPRAYING IS THE ANSWER TO NIGERIA'S PROBLEMS

My friend i think you missed my point!! Every Nigerian wants to spray money, poor or rich. Are we the only country with poor economy and un-employment in Africa? abeg dat one na another issue
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 1:53am On Feb 21, 2008
romeo:

My friend i think you missed my point!! Every Nigerian wants to spray money, poor or rich. Are we the only country with poor economy and un-employment in Africa? abeg that one na another issue

What has spraying to do with poor or rich or unemployment or poor economy?? @Romeo Doesn't the fact that spraying is done by poor and rich make you see it is not then a class issue but more a people issue If I spray my own money, why is that so bad to you??
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by romeo(m): 2:12am On Feb 21, 2008
Kobojunkie:

What has spraying to do with poor or rich or unemployment or poor economy?? @Romeo Doesn't the fact that spraying is done by poor and rich make you see it is not then a class issue but more a people issue If I spray my own money, why is that so bad to you??

Do you know i am very guilty of money spraying? and i do enjoy doing that. He was the one bringing in poor economy and unemployment.

Though he was countering my earlier assertion that youths commit fraud and other crimes because of the way we disrespect naira by spraying it
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by SkyBlue1: 2:30am On Feb 21, 2008
romeo, you got my point with the whole poor economy. If there are such hard pressing issues at hand, so many other important things that Solodu could be concentrating on, then why this? I think i should stop posting on this thread because it is just continuous repetition now, lol. But i will say this, this is just like the whole wahala with the house debating on dress code. Are they being serious? So much money was pumped into tinapa but have you been reading the news? Tinapa loses a lot of money to dubai each day because it is not open. The structure is there, some shops are there but don't sell, why? Because government has not signed a piece of paper that says tinapa is a free trade zone. Hence customs stop shops from selling. All the effort and money for nothing because the government cannot prioritise on the issues. Important bills like Freedom of Information bill have been neglected, yet they could pass bill in a matter of days or a week for increasing their salary. If Solodu has run out of ideas then let him allow someone else to lead before he overstays his welcome and turns the respect people might have for him into disdain. And if he still has good ideas, then let him focus on those. Again people, priority. You don't ask a man having a heart attack if you should buy him suya instead of calling ambulance. That is my 2 cents. God bless and have a nice day smiley
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Dsampler: 3:49am On Feb 21, 2008
Dis ya Solulu or Solalu or wetin im name be, na very very ignorant man. How such man go be our Central Bank chief, me I no understand.
Shooooooo, Tryin to kill our culture? What a freeking a-hole.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Ade2K8(m): 5:18am On Feb 21, 2008
With a little luck, this person called Charles Soludo will be sooner than later, be fired. First it was with the decimal places, now it's with spraying. KSA is right, it is part of our culture - but that's ultimately beside the point - THE BUSINESS OF THE CBN (AND BY IMPLICATION, ITS GOVERNOR,) IS GIVING US SOUND MONEY - and all that that implies: fighting inflation, managing interest rates given govt economic activity, etc. NOT chasing sprayers from pillar to post. I know he did not pass the law, but given the type of mind he appears to have, his input probably was as foolish as this so-called law. We already know we can't expect much common sense from the horde of thieving illiterates in the National Assembly. Hopefully someone physically in Nigeria will sucessfully challenge this idiocy of a law. The simple fact is that I can abuse my own property as long as I don't put anyone else in danger, don't scamanyone and I clean up my litter - so I can tear my own house down or withdraw all MY money and shred or burn it. The naira in my possession is not the property of the FGN or CBN, it not on loan or lease from either party!!!
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 5:21am On Feb 21, 2008
Dsampler:

Dis ya Solulu or Solalu or wetin im name be, na very very ignorant man. How such man go be our Central Bank chief, me I no understand.
Shooooooo, Tryin to kill our culture? What a freeking a-hole.

How ignorant is he? Who would you have preferred to be your CBN chief, the previous chiefs or the kind of people in the House of Assembly?
There are some cultures you just don't have be proud to have, this one is simply barbaric.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 6:52am On Feb 21, 2008
Well, after going through this "letter" to Yaradua, i had to think twice about the law. grin grin

Mr. President, call Soludo to order!
By Ose Oyamendan from Los Angeles (oseoyamendan@alumni.usc.edu) Sun newspapers.
Sunday, January 20, 2008

I am really sorry for taking up your time this morning, Mr. President, but, I’ve had it with your Central Bank governor, Professor Chukwuma Soludo. Seriously, who does he thing he is trying to change the way we live!
I was flipping through the news the other day and I ran through a report that made my heart do a somersault. Soludo is messing with the naira again!
The man has declared that you will be punished by a fine or a jail term if you’re found spraying naira at a party! My big question is: since when did Soludo make the law? What he said is like a military decree. I thought we got out that archaic style of governance about nine years ago.

Saying I can’t spray naira at a party is a violation of my fundamental Nigerian right. I know Soludo is some kind of economic genius but, seriously, is he not a Nigeria ? How am I supposed to announce my “arrival” in the class of the wealthy if I can’t spray naira at a party?
And, this is not just about me. My friend, Ramoni in Minnesota (we call him Money because it’s cool) found a way to get his head out of the Midwest , biting cold and to talk to me about this Nigerian absurdity. See, Money is one of those boys that was not supposed to be something but, thanks to his medical assistant diploma; he’s living the life in America.

He tells his folks back home he’s a medical associate and he’s working on his MD degree. But, he and I know that the only thing he’s working on is trying to up the number of hamburger he eats a day. But, he sure is working on his bank account. Money is convinced his aged father whom he rarely speaks to will soon pass so, he’s beefing up his account.
By his own account, when his father passes, he’s “storming” Nigeria and “spraying like crazy” at the funeral. It would be his way of showing he’d moved from the naira-starved kid to the dollar elite. He’s even planning to spray a few dollar bills. Now, imagine his grief when he learnt that he may have to cool his feet in jail if he does that.

Of course, he’s happy he can still spray the dollar. But, do you know how much naira a dollar fetches? And, do you know how much longer you’ll be on the dance floor spraying naira than spraying dollars? We’re talking plenty of show off time here, Soludo!
And, there’s my friend Ignatius sweating hard in Idumota after coming up the apprentice ranks. He’s been loading up the naira, going to the bank every time he has a dirty bundle for crisp ones, just for the day when he can go back to the village for that girl he intends to marry. On that day, his plan was to spray so much naira his new in-laws will go tizzy with delight. Now, what’s Ignatius to do? Spray and go to jail? Whoever heard of a honeymoon suite in jail?
Someone needs to talk to this Soludo bloke to go easy on his ideas. I know they’re brilliant and I know, for the most part, they may well take Nigeria out of the economic jungle, but, sheesh – what’s man to do with his money! Put it under the pillow!

Take his monetization or re-monetization plan from a few months back, for example. After checking the dictionary to make sure he wasn’t making up the word, I was almost knocked cold when I found out it meant my dollar, pounds sterling and euros will command less power in Lagos.
I have no clue where he gets his ideas from. Someone told me back then that that plan worked is working in Ghana , Brazil and other places. But, like I told that person, do we look like we’re Ghanaians? Or, does Soludo think because we play good football sometimes, we have now become Nigerians. Then, he shoots back that it was good for the Nigerian economy.

At that point I stopped worrying because I know Soludo may be smart but he’s forgetting he’s a Nigerian. He has bosses who have good wishes for Nigeria as long as it doesn’t affect their wallet. His monetization policy would. I was so sure the policy won’t fly I was ready to bet on it. But, Vegas wasn’t taking bets on it. Man, I could have made a killing on that one.

My new problem Mr. President is – that was then, this is now. Back then, you were the new kid on the block and you were taking slow, measured steps around the corridors of power. I knew back then your one time boss and his boys will flood your office with calls telling you how dumb the monetization sounded. And, when you asked them why would a policy that seems to have worked everywhere would not work in Nigeria , they will tell you “because of the Nigerian factor”.
But now, it seems you are no longer the new kid on the block. You’ve become the headmaster and you’re making some bold decisions now. God, you even rationalized not spending money on power generation until you know what went wrong with the farmer’s wasted $10billion injection. A thinking Nigerian leader! Wow, is the world coming to an end or something?

My fear is that you will actually think this new idea from Soludo is a bold, badly needed idea and you will sign off on it. But, I don’t agree. We are a party people and why kill the party because the governor of central Bank thinks the naira is not getting enough respect.
If Soludo thinks the naira is abused, ask him to tell the naira to sue. Where will all these craziness stop? How would we be able to tell the really rich and the barely rich at parties? Soludo’s idea that you should take the money to the celebrant and hand it to him is the craziest idea I’ve heard since someone said e-mails will replace letters.

Doesn’t he get the point? What’s the point handing the money to the celebrant if everyone can’t see it? You know what? I think I have an idea coming. We can just put up a board, like they do in golf, and updating the names and donations of the guests. What will Soludo do then?
Ah, the rich will never be denied! Order the boards. We’ll call them the naira board. Maybe we’ll even get a sweet-voiced chap to run the commentary. “chief money-miss-road has just overtaken Ogbuefi naira power on the board. But, Mallam money is making a strong move to overtake them”.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 7:06am On Feb 21, 2008
nuzo:

Well, after going through this "letter" to Yaradua, i had to think twice about the law. grin grin

Mr. President, call Soludo to order!
By Ose Oyamendan from Los Angeles (oseoyamendan@alumni.usc.edu) Sun newspapers.
Sunday, January 20, 2008

I am really sorry for taking up your time this morning, Mr. President, but, I’ve had it with your Central Bank governor, Professor Chukwuma Soludo. Seriously, who does he thing he is trying to change the way we live!
I was flipping through the news the other day and I ran through a report that made my heart do a somersault. Soludo is messing with the naira again!
The man has declared that you will be punished by a fine or a jail term if you’re found spraying naira at a party! My big question is: since when did Soludo make the law? What he said is like a military decree. I thought we got out that archaic style of governance about nine years ago.

Saying I can’t spray naira at a party is a violation of my fundamental Nigerian right. I know Soludo is some kind of economic genius but, seriously, is he not a Nigeria ? How am I supposed to announce my “arrival” in the class of the wealthy if I can’t spray naira at a party?
And, this is not just about me. My friend, Ramoni in Minnesota (we call him Money because it’s cool) found a way to get his head out of the Midwest , biting cold and to talk to me about this Nigerian absurdity. See, Money is one of those boys that was not supposed to be something but, thanks to his medical assistant diploma; he’s living the life in America.

He tells his folks back home he’s a medical associate and he’s working on his MD degree. But, he and I know that the only thing he’s working on is trying to up the number of hamburger he eats a day. But, he sure is working on his bank account. Money is convinced his aged father whom he rarely speaks to will soon pass so, he’s beefing up his account.
By his own account, when his father passes, he’s “storming” Nigeria and “spraying like crazy” at the funeral. It would be his way of showing he’d moved from the naira-starved kid to the dollar elite. He’s even planning to spray a few dollar bills. Now, imagine his grief when he learnt that he may have to cool his feet in jail if he does that.

Of course, he’s happy he can still spray the dollar. But, do you know how much naira a dollar fetches? And, do you know how much longer you’ll be on the dance floor spraying naira than spraying dollars? We’re talking plenty of show off time here, Soludo!
And, there’s my friend Ignatius sweating hard in Idumota after coming up the apprentice ranks. He’s been loading up the naira, going to the bank every time he has a dirty bundle for crisp ones, just for the day when he can go back to the village for that girl he intends to marry. On that day, his plan was to spray so much naira his new in-laws will go tizzy with delight. Now, what’s Ignatius to do? Spray and go to jail? Whoever heard of a honeymoon suite in jail?
Someone needs to talk to this Soludo bloke to go easy on his ideas. I know they’re brilliant and I know, for the most part, they may well take Nigeria out of the economic jungle, but, sheesh – what’s man to do with his money! Put it under the pillow!

Take his monetization or re-monetization plan from a few months back, for example. After checking the dictionary to make sure he wasn’t making up the word, I was almost knocked cold when I found out it meant my dollar, pounds sterling and euros will command less power in Lagos.
I have no clue where he gets his ideas from. Someone told me back then that that plan worked is working in Ghana , Brazil and other places. But, like I told that person, do we look like we’re Ghanaians? Or, does Soludo think because we play good football sometimes, we have now become Nigerians. Then, he shoots back that it was good for the Nigerian economy.

At that point I stopped worrying because I know Soludo may be smart but he’s forgetting he’s a Nigerian. He has bosses who have good wishes for Nigeria as long as it doesn’t affect their wallet. His monetization policy would. I was so sure the policy won’t fly I was ready to bet on it. But, Vegas wasn’t taking bets on it. Man, I could have made a killing on that one.

My new problem Mr. President is – that was then, this is now. Back then, you were the new kid on the block and you were taking slow, measured steps around the corridors of power. I knew back then your one time boss and his boys will flood your office with calls telling you how dumb the monetization sounded. And, when you asked them why would a policy that seems to have worked everywhere would not work in Nigeria , they will tell you “because of the Nigerian factor”.
But now, it seems you are no longer the new kid on the block. You’ve become the headmaster and you’re making some bold decisions now. God, you even rationalized not spending money on power generation until you know what went wrong with the farmer’s wasted $10billion injection. A thinking Nigerian leader! Wow, is the world coming to an end or something?

My fear is that you will actually think this new idea from Soludo is a bold, badly needed idea and you will sign off on it. But, I don’t agree. We are a party people and why kill the party because the governor of central Bank thinks the naira is not getting enough respect.
If Soludo thinks the naira is abused, ask him to tell the naira to sue. Where will all these craziness stop? How would we be able to tell the really rich and the barely rich at parties? Soludo’s idea that you should take the money to the celebrant and hand it to him is the craziest idea I’ve heard since someone said e-mails will replace letters.

Doesn’t he get the point? What’s the point handing the money to the celebrant if everyone can’t see it? You know what? I think I have an idea coming. We can just put up a board, like they do in golf, and updating the names and donations of the guests. What will Soludo do then?
Ah, the rich will never be denied! Order the boards. We’ll call them the naira board. Maybe we’ll even get a sweet-voiced chap to run the commentary. “chief money-miss-road has just overtaken Ogbuefi naira power on the board. But, Mallam money is making a strong move to overtake them”.

Someone actually took time to write this?? I hope Yar Adua gets to read this. I am not a sprayer, nor am I am Owanbeite, but this dude is right about the main, this law cuts into the fundamental right of every nigerian out there and it will be sad if the president actually signs such into law.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Nobody: 7:19am On Feb 21, 2008
After going through this one, i had to think reasonably again.

Naira spraying as “our culture”
Written by Ochereome Nnanna for Vanguard newspapers.
Wednesday, 20 February 2008

OVER the weekend, I was in Abuja with my family to attend the wedding of my niece, former Miss Ubani Mma Agbagha, and her spouse, Robert.
To my pleasant surprise, I noticed that, at every juncture, care was taken to apply the new Central Bank of Nigeria regulation on preserving the dignity of the Naira.

At the Presbyterian Church in Wuse, where the service took place, and also at the International Conference Centre Gardens, where the reception was held, the event’s handlers announced over the public address system the need to obey the laws of the land and strictly avoid “spraying” the Naira.

Rather, white envelopes were provided into which the church congregation and wedding guests could support the work of God and appreciate the new couple with financial gifts.

Later that day, I read a story in the newspapers where one of Nigeria’s most accomplished musicians, King Sunny Ade, condemned the new anti-currency abuse regulation, pointing out that “spraying” is part of our culture.

We would like to put this issue in perspective with a view to drawing the line between where our culture ends and abuse of the Naira begins.

Is “spaying” our culture? Let us start by asking ourselves, what is “spraying”? It is an act of scattering currency notes on a performer or celebrant as a mark of appreciation, support and compensation for putting together a particular social event to which people have been invited and provided with various items of merriment, such as food, drinks, gift packs and so on.

I have not seen nor heard nor read of any culture in Africa where celebrants or performers are not thusly appreciated and supported with such financial gifts.

For instance, in my own culture of Abiriba, we gingerly place the coin or currency note on the face of a performer or celebrant, especially while the person is dancing. Someone is always on hand to handle the money and ensure its safety.

We don’t throw it all over him or her, but this abuse that has become the order of the day all over the country has definitely crept in. We also take the financial gift to a specially provided table where a big, fanciful bowl covered with silk or damask cloth is on display.

A group of trusted family members is on hand to receive the money with thanks, while the name of the giver is entered into a register and the money neatly filed away in the bowl. There is no place for the abuse of the Naira or any currency for that matter, on this front, at least.

“Spraying” of money is essentially an elaborate hype that is very rampant with groups that have social party cultures, the most prominent of which are found in the South West of Nigeria. The Yoruba people are world famous for their owambe social parties.

As a result of the grandeur and prestige that is evident in owambe parties, one of its many excesses – “spraying” – was copied and exported to others cultures in Nigeria and beyond, thus making the abuse of the Naira in that fashion a national sin.

It is understandable that Sunny Ade should speak out against the law on “spraying”. He and many other prominent artistes, such as Ebenezer Obey, KWAM 1, Oliver de Coque, to mention but a few, made a large chunk of their fabulous wealth through “spraying”, which is lubricated with praise-singing (which is also a part of our general culture).

Banning “spraying” is bad news for such musicians, especially praise-singers. People “spray” to show off. If you ask them to put their money in envelopes, you kill the motivation to bring out the money and you “spoil the business” of the celebrant or performer.

But here, we are talking about an emerging modern society. There are aspects of our culture that must be repositioned to fit. One can also argue that street trading is our culture.

But it is essentially a culture that depicts poverty. Only poor people trade in the streets. As society gets more affluent, traders must vacate the streets.

We are moving towards a culture of plastic money. When we get there, “spraying” will get even more endangered. People plying trades that gorge on “spraying” must adjust to unfolding realities.

I once had to pay fifty US Dollars extra per night to stay in a US hotel as penalty for not paying with credit card.
You hardly see dirty money in developed societies.

Apart from being an eyesore, dirty money is a carrier of dangerous microbes that can eventually cause death. In Nigeria, we unwittingly provide luxurious nurseries for germs through our handling of our money.

“Spraying” may have become part of our general culture, but it also carries with it a stigma of corruption. Looters, money launderers, drug pushers and criminals of all descriptions find it easier to “spray” than those who made their money by traveling the hard, narrow path. It is the easiest way to buy unearned social prestige.

What we need is cultural and social reorientation. The law against the abuse of the Naira is a step in the right direction. Let us cooperate. Everybody should buy a wallet or purse. I have just bought mine.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by snugle: 8:55am On Feb 21, 2008
I wish Soludo and KSA and the Nigerian Government were Nairaland members, including members of the hgouse of rep and law makers. That way, our arguments wuld start making sense!
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Ena345(f): 9:50am On Feb 21, 2008
Some of u guys are so pathetic (no apologies). Now, if ur neighbour beats up his wife, and your father is older than him, does it give tour father theright to go and enforce his ideais in your neighbour's house? Soludo does not rule Nigeria. He is only doing what he thinks is best for the finance sector. Did someone talk about the quality of our naira? WHy didnt the person praise soluso when the 20nira notes were released? are those not quality notes? and for those of you who have turned ksa's personal judgement to the law, my advise is, GET A LIFE. For christ sake, doesnt the cliche, THE ONLY CONSTANT THING IS CHANGE, make any sense to you? Like some one said, that we used to have human rituals as part of our culture does not mean we should use ksa's sons as the king's horseman. U guyz, nigeria is ours to build, lets accept change and work with it. Be the change and lets smile tomorrow.

ciao
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by romeo(m): 10:24am On Feb 21, 2008
Sky Blue:

romeo, you got my point with the whole poor economy. If there are such hard pressing issues at hand, so many other important things that Solodu could be concentrating on, then why this? I think i should stop posting on this thread because it is just continuous repetition now, lol. But i will say this, this is just like the whole wahala with the house debating on dress code. Are they being serious? So much money was pumped into tinapa but have you been reading the news? Tinapa loses a lot of money to dubai each day because it is not open. The structure is there, some shops are there but don't sell, why? Because government has not signed a piece of paper that says tinapa is a free trade zone. Hence customs stop shops from selling. All the effort and money for nothing because the government cannot prioritise on the issues. Important bills like Freedom of Information bill have been neglected, yet they could pass bill in a matter of days or a week for increasing their salary. If Solodu has run out of ideas then let him allow someone else to lead before he overstays his welcome turns the respect people might have for him into disdain. And if he still has good ideas, then let him focus on those. Again people, priority. You don't ask a man having a heart attack if you should buy him suya instead of calling ambulance. That is my 2 cents. God bless and have a nice day smiley

You're right
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by cola: 11:12am On Feb 21, 2008
Without any intent to condescend, I wouldn't have thought the ban on 'spraying' would generaye so much passion here on Nairaland. I had believed most nairalanders would agree on the indecency of the practice.

Some folks here have argued on human rights to use your money as you wish, but I'll like to ask a couple of questions:

1. The currency is a national symbol just like the national flag is. Can you trample on any county's national flag in public without consequences?

2. I believe the value of your note is your personal property, but the material is not! It is the property of the public. You can 'spend' your money as you choose BUT you cannot use the material as you wish. OR can anyone who thinks he's rich enough choose to use the currency notes as toilet papers in his toilet instead of tissue paper and still send the same notes in the public domain, OR just simply choose to burn it, since afterall he can use his 'hard earned money' as he wishes?

3. Mishahdled notes expose other innocent handlers to dangers of infection. People have a right to smoke, but when it constitute a danger to other innocent pepole, it has to be banned in public places. Are you folks saying the ban on public smoking in the west in an infringement on the rights of the people.

I have a feeling if this law or a similar one had been enacted in USA or UK, these same people would have hailed it as triumph of decency and would probably have urged our govt to do same. Now our govt. took the initiative, they are saying it hasn't been done in America. Oh my God,
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Grouppoint(m): 3:26pm On Feb 21, 2008
How about this:

Spraying Naira Notes at parties is a habit that endangers the life of the sprayers, by causing undue envy by indigent bystanders, and may lead to anger, incense, and feelings of deprivation and oppression.

This eventually leads to loss of life or property.

The law is made to protect you from yourself, just like the ban of narcotics.
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Kobojunkie: 3:40pm On Feb 21, 2008
Grouppoint:

How about this:

Spraying Naira Notes at parties is a habit that endangers the life of the sprayers, by causing undue envy by indigent bystanders, and may lead to anger, incense, and feelings of deprivation and oppression.

This eventually leads to loss of life or property.

The law is made to protect you from yourself, just like the ban of narcotics.

You mean just like the ban on using knifes even in the kitchen does?? You mean just like the ban on smoking does?? You mean just like the ban on purchasing guns even if you are a hunter by profession does?? Come on Are we kids that the government should feed us crock for reason for why it is better for our hands to be broken
Re: "You Can't Ban Spraying, It's Our Culture" - KSA To Soludo by Grouppoint(m): 4:11pm On Feb 21, 2008
@kobokunje

How can you compare the proper use of knives to an improper use of money?
You have inadvertently made buttressed my point. Each item should be reserved for its appropriate use. (Guns for hunting, Knive s for kitchen, and money for spending , and not spraying)

Or are you saying that the proper use of money is to spray it at parties?
Money is primarily and properly used to exchange for our needs and wants.
improper use of knives, and guns have been banned,
, Cigarretes will be banned once again. In the UK, its public use has already been banned.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? / Nigerian Man Returns $3000 Mistakenly Transferred To Him In Brussels / First Bank, Oko In Oyo On Fire (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.