Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,204 members, 7,825,771 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips (14591 Views)

How The Crashed Bristow Helicopter Was Transported To Lagos (photos) / Nigerian Government Grounds British Airways Aircraft Over Engine Failure In Abuj / Air Maroc Makes An Emergency Landing In Lagos Due To Engine Failure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by ocelot2006(m): 11:53am On Dec 17, 2012
haka_nai: Azazi, Yakowa Tragedy: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘Engine Failure’ After 10 Trips
Posted: December 16, 2012 - 20:37
http://saharareporters.com/news-page/azazi-yakowa-tragedy-crashed-navy-helicopter-had-%E2%80%98engine-failure%E2%80%99-after-10-trips

By SaharaReporters, New York
The Nigeria navy executive Agusta 109E helicopter, which crashed yesterday killing Kaduna State Governor Patrick Yakowa, former NSA Andrew Owoye Azazi and four others, had engine failure, naval sources have said.

SaharaReporters learned that the pilot of the helicopter communicated with the control tower in Port Harcourt to report the problem before it crashed to the ground and caught fire. The chopper belonged to the Nigeria navy, but it had been placed at the exclusive service of the president in the Niger Delta region.

The navy has had three Agusta 109E helicopters. In 2007, one of them crashed due to bad weather as it approached the Owerri airport in the night, accompanying INEC election materials. Four persons died in the crash.

The other two, NN07 and NN08, which actively worked the Bayelsa airspace yesterday, were commissioned in 2009.

Sources told SaharaReporters that the choppers had been placed almost exclusively at the service of President Goodluck Jonathan and his cronies, which is the reason why they were deployed to carry VIPs to and from the Port Harcourt International Airport for a private burial event of presidential aide Oronto Douglas that had no official value.

Prior to yesterday's deadly flight, the naval choppers also carried VIPs to the funeral of President Jonathan's brother, Meni, less than two weeks ago.

At the time of the crash, the helicopter had reportedly done 10 shuttle trips between Port Harcourt and the burial place of Mr. Douglas's father in Okoroba. Landing and taking off from the soccer field of a decrepit local school in the town.

The flight was reportedly the last one, but the engine failed some ten minutes after takeoff, leading to the fatal crash.

President Jonathan, who had earlier attended an overnight “Holy Ghost Congress” at the Redeemed Church of God on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway then issued a terse statement which revealed the names of crash victims and the usual promise that a probe of the crash will be conducted.

Meanwhile, Mr. Jonathan has ordered two new luxury helicopters from the same manufacturer, AgustaWestland, the Anglo-Italian helicopter company based in Italy. The two AW 101 VIP helicopters will cost Nigeria $40 million. In 2010, Mr. Jonathan ordered three presidential jets as soon as he took office.

I'm sorry, but the highlighted parts of the report is nothing but UTTER CRAP JOURNALISM and lies from the depths of hell!

First of all, the president does NOT use the Navy's AW-109 LUH helos, but the NAF's AW-139 that's under the presidential fleet. The 2nd AW-139 under the control of NIMASA and the NN is used EXCUSIVELY for SEARCH & RESCUE (SAR) ops.

Seriously, I've had it with Sahara Reporters and their lies. Someone MUST call them to order.

1 Like

Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by Godmann(m): 12:09pm On Dec 17, 2012
passion007: Sadly, it's the internet, the death of spelling and grammar...RIP...So long!
We are saying the same thing bro, but you are still accusing the wrong person. We should find out the naval f..ool who authorised that the aircaft be used to convey people to a funeral, and 'impeach' him. This is not a one-person Government. For all we know,GEJ may or may not have hijacked the Naval aircraft, the other psycophant in the Navy may have volunteered the aircraft in the hope of getting a political favor.
Mind you, i am also a critique of GEJ, but sometimes we just over-do it,blaming him for our collective misery while the real offenders go free.

Who appointed the chief of Naval Staff? GEJ. If you understand how offices politics works, you will know that the Chief of Naval Staff can only operate with the space provided by GEJ. It is possible that GEJ himslef might not have requested for the release of the Naval helicopter but owing to the power he has knowingly or unknowingly given to his aids; the aide can get whatever they want from every parastatal of government without following due-process. That is why administration in Nigeria is all about "hangers-on" and sycophancy. It is the body language of those on Top that creates it.

Some body like Idiagbon will never allow such. GEJ from all I can see around him is encouraging it. If you follow his antecedents, especially his appointment of Ringim as Inspector general of Police when everyone knows of his incompetency, you will see how bad GEJ is.

I need not tell you that GEJ himself is incompetent if you are a very good and unbiased observer of Nigerian Politics and our politicians. We should try follow his rise from ALams to Obasanjo good book before he became VP. We should take a look at his performance in Yar'auda's Cabinet and judge him by that. We should think on how he dumped his most performing Minister and how he had tackled Boko Haram and other security challenges.

I do not see GEJ capable of even running my village. It is unfortunate I warned people about it. I wrote an article the day he tried banning Nigeria from world soccer and was threatened by a telkephone call on a Sunday by group of people from an enclosed Location. From my calculation that could have only came from the security office or his campaign team. That is how I read GEJ a desperate power hungry and incompetent man; and he has not let me down.

I wish him and Nigerians luck.

Meanwhile, I work for a Revolution. That's the only solution.
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by Revolva(m): 12:18pm On Dec 17, 2012
But why would the Nigerian Navy have only two helicopters na wa o and some pastor dey plan buy jet ..

But why would they use a navy copter to carry yakowa and azazi to attend a burial ceremony abi dem no fit take flight again -- shame I believe its a bomb being planted
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by 9icetoo(m): 12:28pm On Dec 17, 2012
Kay-Dee:

Too early for conspiracy theories.

By 'commercial flight', I assume you mean airplane. That cannot land on a soccer field like choppers do.
there are commercial helicopters as well> several companies in nigeria have helicopters for commercial purposes. U think shell, chevron, agip and co all use navy helicopters? We waste state resources in nigeria for personal needs and wants. Jonathan really messed up by assigning a public asset like that to his cronies for their personal needs. May their souls rest in peace. Yuck, naija can be disgusting. the money for that helicopter would have fixed the roads leading to that community where this burial was held. Mstchew.
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by dederocs(m): 12:38pm On Dec 17, 2012
MRbrownJAY: one of the reason why these helicopters could have had engine failure is if they were not serviced properly.
so many people dying of heart failure due to obesity,please go to this link to meet with a proffessional fitness coach.
https://www.nairaland.com/1135114/stay-fit-call-us-today-swift#13425829
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by stineb1: 12:44pm On Dec 17, 2012
But seriously was sahara reporters established just to criticize jonathan and his government?I hadly read any good publication from them about National issues.Its either about Jonathan,his Family,Friends,associates and his Government.I dont like the antagónism.

1 Like

Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by buJu234: 1:51pm On Dec 17, 2012
if this is true; then am not surprised...

poor maintainace culture has always been the Nigerian govt. problem from Refinery to roads etc
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by skyfall: 1:53pm On Dec 17, 2012
The Nigerian military has become so useless that their officers and expensive equipment have become errand tools in the hands of illiterate politicians. Of what use is Oronto Douglas to Nigeria that our naval officers are losing their lives over his late father's burial jamboree?

Imagine soldiers following politicians all over the place in the name of protection, when we have the police.

No wonder they're accused of being incapable of anything apart from manning checkpoints.

1 Like

Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by Reference(m): 2:24pm On Dec 17, 2012
skyfall: The Nigerian military has become so useless that their officers and expensive equipment have become errand tools in the hands of illiterate politicians. Of what use is Oronto Douglas to Nigeria that our naval officers are losing their lives over his late father's burial jamboree?

Imagine soldiers following politicians all over the place in the name of protection, when we have the police.

No wonder they're accused of being incapable of anything apart from manning checkpoints.

You've just said it all. We have excruciating national security challenges requiring every single military and security asset we have and here we are frittering men and materials away on political joyrides. Am just so angry.

1 Like

Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by lekzyn(m): 2:43pm On Dec 17, 2012
this is 9ja and everyhing is posible; a chopper can only blast if it collide wit any object like mountains or trees not just engine failure and note that it fell into the creek, so were did the fire comes from well nag 9ja we dey, i no surprise with 9ja government at all level. i strongly believe that Azazi was the target maybe not from brother jonah but from bayelsa state government. (am waiting for all nairalanders to crucify me)
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by honeric01(m): 2:47pm On Dec 17, 2012
ocelot2006:

I'm sorry, but the highlighted parts of the report is nothing but UTTER CRAP JOURNALISM and lies from the depths of hell!

First of all, the president does NOT use the Navy's AW-109 LUH helos, but the NAF's AW-139 that's under the presidential fleet. The 2nd AW-139 under the control of NIMASA and the NN is used EXCUSIVELY for SEARCH & RESCUE (SAR) ops.

Seriously, I've had it with Sahara Reporters and their lies. Someone MUST call them to order.

Can you read at all? or maybe you can't comprehend? where was it written that the president was the one using the Navy's AW-109 LUH helos?

The article said he ordered them and to cost $40 million, meaning they are yet to be delivered!

GO BACK TO SCHOOL!!!! I MEAN DAY SCHOOL, not NIGHT SCHOOL. grin

1 Like

Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by KayDee4: 3:32pm On Dec 17, 2012
9icetoo: there are commercial helicopters as well> several companies in nigeria have helicopters for commercial purposes. U think shell, chevron, agip and co all use navy helicopters? We waste state resources in nigeria for personal needs and wants. Jonathan really messed up by assigning a public asset like that to his cronies for their personal needs. May their souls rest in peace. Yuck, naija can be disgusting. the money for that helicopter would have fixed the roads leading to that community where this burial was held. Mstchew.

My bad !!! I totally missed out the awoof part of his post. I thought the crashed Navy chopper was being put to commercial use and I was wondering what other kind of 'chartered commercial flight' he was talking about.
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by nagoma(m): 3:33pm On Dec 17, 2012
Just imagine US government's marine helicopters used to shuttle guests to and from the burial of President's advisors mother or even the burial of even Hilary Clinton's father's burial. You guys in UK may also imagine Prime Minister Cameron authorizing the use of Royal Navy helicopters to ferry funeral guests . Just because the deceased is the father of one of his advisers!

These bandits will tell you how well they know America and BLA BLA BLA and that they are civilized and know democracy and have many university degrees etc etc etc . Bloody criminals!! :

Balewa will never do that. Gowon has never done that, Murtala would never approve that, Shagari will not support this , Buhari will find this unthinkable, even babangida and Abacha never tried this. Obasanjo will certainly see this as very odd. Yar Adua would not recommend this even for his own funeral. It is only the otuoke PhD , the shoeless , clue less fisherman from the creeks who thinks this is how to be a president .

1 Like

Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by Samabu07(m): 4:00pm On Dec 17, 2012
babyosisi: [size=18pt]Imagine
A whole navy chopper is being used as flying kabukabu to ferry people back and forth from PH to Nembe[/size]
Why won't it crash
Don't they have parachutes so at least they would have jumped out since the pilot knew and reported a problem mid air
Gen Azai should have demanded for a parachute with his Military intelligence. RIP to Yakowa, Azazi and other 4.
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by DrMuzungu(m): 4:30pm On Dec 17, 2012
I have only 2 questions, cloely related to the topic:

1. Was the helicopter, by any chance, maintained by Corner Cutters International Ltd?

2. Why was a pilot unable to safely land a helicopter using auto-rotation??
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by vislabraye(m): 4:55pm On Dec 17, 2012
It wouldn't be much problem if Azazi had used it alone seeing that he was once a General. MMore and more woes are heaping on GEJ regime.
Ten trips from Ph to Bayelsa is equivalent to lagos to Ph I suppose. And the chopper did not cover the whole journey at once.
Don't you think a Toyota can travel from Lad to Ph without even stopping for a breaK? There's more to it.
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by vislabraye(m): 4:58pm On Dec 17, 2012
Samabu07:
Gen Azai should have demanded for a parachute with his Military intelligence. RIP to Yakowa, Azazi and other 4.

Parachute at what height? E be like say you dey watch plenty film.
The chopper should be high enough for a parachute to function.
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by Demdem(m): 5:31pm On Dec 17, 2012
So upon all the money oronta Douglas dey steal for aso rock, he can't hire helicopters from bristow to ferry his guests to his father's burial if need be. Stingy old Foool.
May the death of the innocent hunt him to his grave and his boss that gave the Express order.

1 Like

Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by Nobody: 5:51pm On Dec 17, 2012
EasyG: A failed engine/engines in a chopper does not suffice to cause a crash. It is designed to remain in flight through auto rotation which every helicopter pilot is taught. The power turbine is disengaged from the main rotor gear box and the rotor blades continue turning due to inertia and the helicopter can be landed safely as soon as possible.
There is more to this story than meets the eye obviously.

I said it in the beginning
Awusa people killed the Kaduna governor and Azazi and others were collateral damage
This death is not ordinary
I smell northern islamic agenda all over it
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by Osaos(m): 5:59pm On Dec 17, 2012
I thought navy was all abt ships. Dunno thery do fly choppers [color=#000000][/color]
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by Yongi99(m): 7:26pm On Dec 17, 2012
it is just poor maintainace, i worked at addax's base in calabar. And i say the way the engineers there takes care and check the helicopters. There so much give attention to it as if it wasnt serviced for weeks, but yet it would be checked again when it returns from her trip, in an hours time. They dont manage, it either you replace the parts, or she wont fly, nigerian navy no try o, for Gods sake it is a presidential heli. I think a lady would be jealous at the treatment of an helicopter.

1 Like

Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by kinguwem: 7:26pm On Dec 17, 2012
Of what significance is the burial of a civilian to warrant the services of military helicopters? This VIP syndrome is what is killing the nation. The Niger Delta needs aggressive development. The area needs good roads, railways & ferry services. The day the common man & the VIPs are treated equally is the day Nigeria shall be liberated.
May the souls of the departed gentlemen rest in peace.
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by nagoma(m): 10:14pm On Dec 17, 2012
babyosisi:

I said it in the beginning
Awusa people killed the Kaduna governor and Azazi and others were collateral damage
This death is not ordinary
I smell northern islamic agenda all over it

I smell shiit -reading the nauseating stuff you wrote. You pig!
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by nagoma(m): 10:15pm On Dec 17, 2012
kinguwem: Of what significance is the burial of a civilian to warrant the services of military helicopters? This VIP syndrome is what is killing the nation. The Niger Delta needs aggressive development. The area needs good roads, railways & ferry services. The day the common man & the VIPs are treated equally is the day Nigeria shall be liberated.
May the souls of the departed gentlemen rest in peace.

They also need common sense.
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by bigmaut: 11:28pm On Dec 17, 2012
What beat me is why shld a sitting Guvnor leave his busy seat in far away kaduna 2 attend a burial of a common aid,father cnt he sent a rep.the way politicians galivant around d globe to attend funerals,naming ceremonies,birthday,festvals,awards is not GOOD at all they shld repent d day of jugdement is approaching.
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by ocelot2006(m): 12:31am On Dec 18, 2012
honeric01:

Can you read at all? or maybe you can't comprehend? where was it written that the president was the one using the Navy's AW-109 LUH helos?

The article said he ordered them and to cost $40 million, meaning they are yet to be delivered!

GO BACK TO SCHOOL!!!! I MEAN DAY SCHOOL, not NIGHT SCHOOL. grin

You, sir, are a total slowpoke. How the hell did you pass your WAEC exams? 'cos you just failed woefully in comprehension. Read the damn article again!! Didn't it day that the AW-109 stationed in the Niger-Delta was preserved for the exclusive use of the president? By the way, you do know that the Navy, along with NAF, already have 109s in their inventory, right? Or you're so dumb to read about that.

Speaking about "aquisitions", the last paragraphs of this junk article mentioned the AW-101 (EH-101 Merlin) as the proposed "luxury" helos, not the 109s already being utilized.

Seriously, I strongly suggest the take up the same advice you just gave about re-enrolling in school, 'cos you really need it. I recommend you book your classes immediately. Idiot.
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by TRUTHTELA: 3:35am On Dec 18, 2012
Zulele:
Obviously, you are a deluded fool!
you're a DEAD MAN WALKING. TALK 2 UR TYPE
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by TRUTHTELA: 3:39am On Dec 18, 2012
omarky:

Why on earth will you reason with your anus.....? Do you have any link to surpport your baseless theory.....? Even the sahara reporters can't buttress your story..... RIP to the deads anyway
YOU'VE BEEN DEBASED BY YEARS OF DARKNESS, FROM NEPA & FAMILY MEMBERS. AS A DUNCE, I'LL NOT WAIT 4 U, I THINK OUT OF THE BOX. WOE UNTO U ( WAITING 4 SH, B4 U PUT 2 AND 2 TOGETHER ), U ARE A FAILURE
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by TRUTHTELA: 3:41am On Dec 18, 2012
tashanja:

How ridiculous can ppl get, sorry to say its your kind that give us Southerners a bad name.
DO U HAVE A BAD NAME? NO, ITS A GOOD ONE CALLED, RETARDED!
Re: Crashed Navy Helicopter Had ‘engine Failure’ After 10 Trips by honeric01(m): 10:08am On Dec 18, 2012
ocelot2006:

You, sir, are a total slowpoke. How the hell did you pass your WAEC exams? 'cos you just failed woefully in comprehension. Read the damn article again!! Didn't it day that the AW-109 stationed in the Niger-Delta was preserved for the exclusive use of the president? By the way, you do know that the Navy, along with NAF, already have 109s in their inventory, right? Or you're so dumb to read about that.

Speaking about "aquisitions", the last paragraphs of this junk article mentioned the AW-101 (EH-101 Merlin) as the proposed "luxury" helos, not the 109s already being utilized.

Seriously, I strongly suggest the take up the same advice you just gave about re-enrolling in school, 'cos you really need it. I recommend you book your classes immediately. Idiot.

Even with all your long sermon, you still showed that you actually need real education.

Read again:
The chopper belonged to the Nigeria navy, but it had been placed at the exclusive service of the president in the Niger Delta region.

Placed at his exclusive services does not mean he fly about in it, rather it means he's the one who gives directives on how it's used and who use it, he may decide to use it or not if he wants and at the same time, he may decide on how its to be used and the final say is on him, that's what that statement stands for.

You need comprehension lesson grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dubai, Dubai Everyday! / Tanker Burning Along Ore-Lagos Expressway - Bishops10 / Qantas Airlines Is The World’s Safest Airline For 2019.See The Top 20 Safest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.