Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,299 members, 7,836,311 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission (2576 Views)

“the Issues Of Biafra Was Settled In 1970″ – ACF Blasts Ndigbo Leaders / Yes, There Was A Country - But It's Dead And Gone! / "Convicted Soldiers Sent On Suicidal Mission."-Falana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by nollywood20: 6:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
I have read several reactions to Chinua Achebe's controversial memoir There Was A Country: A Personal History of Biafra and said that the great Nigerian writer is entitled to his own pains and tears and so is every living victim of that suicidal mission called Biafra. My memories of the nightmares of the Nigerian civil war are well illustrated in my Memories of A Refugee Child included in my true life confessions Diary of the Memory Keeper published on Amazon Kindle Fire.

The worst victims of that war were the innocent children and their mothers. And they were more in the figures of over 1,000,000 military and civilian casualties of Biafra. There were survivors, but there were no victors, because we all lost more than what caused the war; the massacres of the Igbos in the northern regions of Nigeria and even though the civil war officially ended on 15 January 1970, after two years, six months, one week and two days of the worst conflict in Africa since World War Two, Igbos are still being attacked and murdered in the northern states till date.

It is a waste of time to wrestle with the ghosts of the past by digging up the skeletons of the dead. As we say in Igbo, "Nkiruka", meaning the future is greater and the sooner we face the dawn of a new day, the better and stronger we would be in the nation building of a New Nigeria. God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by Ikengawo: 6:31pm On Dec 19, 2012
We will never surrender the pride and dignity our fathers showed us in dire times. Biafra proved to the world that Ndigbo possess the courage to fight the world if challenged.
People need to get off Achebe's dick. He's easily the best thing to happen to Nigeria's image and africa's intelligentsia in these past 50 years. If tested we'll do it again without a second thought because suicide is better than slavery. have a good wednesday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut-ZlGRwMKw

3 Likes

Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by T9ksy(m): 9:04pm On Dec 19, 2012
[quote author=Ikengawo]We will never surrender[b]the pride and dignity our fathers showed us in dire times.[/b] Biafra proved to the world that Ndigbo possess the courage to fight the world if challenged.
People need to get off Achebe's dick. He's easily the best thing to happen to Nigeria's image and africa's intelligentsia in these past 50 years. If tested we'll do it again without a second thought because suicide is better than slavery. have a good wednesday

Pride and dignity ke? You mean, like the one shown by ojukwu who fled the battlefield in the middle of the night, dressed like a ugly

transexual, leaving his people the same ones he roused up to fight a lost war, to the mercy of the enemies.

Yeah indeed, Ojukwu's conduct is quite inspirational..........................albeit only to his fellow ibo people who are desperately in need of an HERO.

3 Likes

Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by Ikengawo: 9:22pm On Dec 19, 2012
keep trying lol.
Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by Ikengawo: 9:35pm On Dec 19, 2012
keep trying lol.

Fashola calls Ojukwu "The General"
https://www.nairaland.com/1060504/fashola-calls-ojukwu-general

The Ojukwu we knew- Agbakoba, Fani-Kayode
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/the-ojukwu-we-knew-by-fashola-agbakoba-fani-kayode/

Fashola, Okorocha, Obi, Tinubu, Others Honour Ojukwu
Read more at http://www.cityflavourmagazine.com/?p=10455

Ojukwu Honored Across Tribal Lines: As Kano stands still for Ojukwu
http://www.naijapundit.com/news/ojukwu-honored-across-tribal-lines-as-kano-stands-still-for-ojukwu

Jerry Rawlings and Sultan of Sokoto as Ojukwu's Funeral

Jerry Rawlings

Nnamdi Sambo

Soyinka

Jonathan Commissions a status in honor of Ojukwu
http://saharareporters.com/sites/default/files/page_images/galleries/2012/ogbonaya%20onu%2C%20emeka%20anyaoku%2C%20wole%20soyinka.jpg?1330641437

Lagos shuts down for Ojukwu
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/3912-lagos-shuts-down-as-ojukwu-lie-in-state.html

Soyinka's tribute to Ojukwu
http://saharareporters.com/article/wole-soyinkas-tribute-dim-odumegwu-ojukwu

2 Likes

Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by ZeusI: 9:39pm On Dec 19, 2012
I suggest you put that down in your own memoir not on Niraland.
Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by nollywood20: 9:30am On Dec 20, 2012
Zeus I: I suggest you put that down in your own memoir not on Niraland.

[size=18pt]Forget the lip service and eye service politics of Ikemba's funeral rites in Lagos.
The ACN and PDP were competing to patronize the Igbos.
How many of them visited him when he was ill before he was flown overseas?
How many of them praised him when he was still alive and well?
How many of them voted for him when he contested in elections?
FORGET NIGERIAN HYPOCRITES.

Igbos would have been better, richer and safer without the useless war.
Biafra was more of a suicidal mission than a country.[/size]

6 Likes

Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by Nobody: 10:07am On Dec 20, 2012
nollywood20:

[size=18pt]Forget the lip service and eye service politics of Ikemba's funeral rites in Lagos.
The ACN and PDP were competing to patronize the Igbos.
How many of them visited him when he was ill before he was flown overseas?
How many of them praised him when he was still alive and well?
How many of them voted for him when he contested in elections?
FORGET NIGERIAN HYPOCRITES.

onye ofe mmanu.
Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by belovedaja(m): 11:57am On Dec 20, 2012
I knw pple like you will mislead their generation. I have questions 4 you:
do u have/know your father?
How much was paid on your mother bride price?
If u dnt knw wat killd ur fada then dat tin wil soon take ur life.
If rily u re igbo then you a lost sheep seeking identity.
Anuofia, ewu gambia
Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by T9ksy(m): 12:09pm On Dec 20, 2012
nollywood20:

As far as Ojukwu was concerned, it had to be now or never and so sent his own people on a suicidal mission. In most instances, you have two biafran soldiers sharing one gun! Which means the second guy is just walking behind the first guy with nothing to defend himself with...........until the one carrying the gun is snuffed out then ............the second guy gets his chance to really protect and defend himself. How can one do that to one's own people ONLY to then run off when it became obvious that his own miserable life is in immenent danger? But he's a biafran hero grin grin

Am convinced more than ever that Ojukwu must be sharing the hottest part of hell with hitler.

N.B Had awo done something similar to the yorubas i.e directly responsible for the death of 2million souls, the last thing we 'll be doing now is lionising him.

4 Likes

Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by nollywood20: 7:18pm On Dec 21, 2012
belovedaja: I knw pple like you will mislead their generation. I have questions 4 you:
do u have/know your father?
How much was paid on your mother bride price?
If u dnt knw wat killd ur fada then dat tin wil soon take ur life.
If rily u re igbo then you a lost sheep seeking identity.
Anuofia, ewu gambia

My father fought and returned home as one of the Nigerian heroes of World World Two, but he never joined any of warring sides in the Nigerian civil war, because he called the war childish and foolish.
He refused to flee Lagos, but his people forced him to send my mother and children back to the East and he lost three children. He cursed the stupidity of that war.

Ojukwu's Biafra was a corrupt regime of opportunists and dictators.
Go and read Sunset in Biafra: a civil war diary by Elechi Amadi.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by sleekdot(m): 8:47pm On Dec 21, 2012
nollywood20:

My father fought and returned home as one of the Nigerian heroes of World World Two, but he never joined any of warring sides in the Nigerian civil war, because he called the war childish and foolish.
He refused to flee Lagos, but his people forced him to send my mother and children back to the East and he lost three children. He cursed the stupidity of that war.

God bless you for the insight
Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by pazienza(m): 9:56pm On Dec 21, 2012
nollywood20:

If you are an igbo,then awolowo was probably an igbo too. Smh,imagine an igbo using elechi amadi of all people diary as a reference.
Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by nollywood20: 12:36pm On Dec 22, 2012
pazienza: If you are an igbo,then awolowo was probably an igbo too. Smh,imagine an igbo using elechi amadi of all people diary as a refrence.

[size=48pt]Well, many children died in Biafra, not because of Awo, but for Ojukwu's dictatorial stupidity.
Many relief supplies meant for the poor masses were hijacked by Ojukwu's corrupt officers and commissioners in Biafra.
Whilst Ojukwu and his family and cronies were getting fatter, the poor and powerless masses were suffering and dying from hunger.
How many children in Ojukwu's compound had Kwashiorkor? [/size]

1 Like

Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by Nobody: 12:56pm On Dec 22, 2012
nollywood20:

[size=48pt]Well, many children died in Biafra, not because of Awo, but for Ojukwu's dictatorial stupidity.
Many relief supplies meant for the poor masses were hijacked by Ojukwu's corrupt officers and commissioners in Biafra.
Whilst Ojukwu and his family and cronies were getting fatter, the poor and powerless masses were suffering and dying from hunger.
How many children in Ojukwu's compound had Kwashiorkor? [/size]
ewu if you are Igbo, then I be yoruba man. Why everybody is claiming Igbo.. Igbo kwenu
Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by nollywood20: 2:23pm On Dec 22, 2012
kcswat: ewu if you are Igbo, then I be yoruba man. Why everybody is claiming Igbo.. Igbo kwenu
[size=18pt]
I am more Igbo than you and if not for the abolition of slave trade, the likes of you would be among my slaves.[/size]
Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by ak47mann(m): 2:29pm On Dec 22, 2012
pls can u change that nollywood to yariwood stop messing around with igbo inventive movie industry
Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by salam001(m): 7:59pm On Dec 22, 2012
nollywood20:
[size=18pt]
I am more Igbo than you and if not for the abolition of slave trade, the likes of you would be among my slaves.[/size]

the way Nollywood is full of crap,the same way you,my friend,are full of Hot s,hits,you claim igbo but i checked all your post you are always dissing igbos,just tell us you wish to be igbo
Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by Nobody: 8:42pm On Dec 22, 2012
nollywood20:
[size=18pt]

Bia Nwoke m! mechionu gi biko. I mebo wala onweghi ebe a!
Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by Ngwakwe: 8:57pm On Dec 22, 2012
Who brought out this animal from the zoo?

You are not even worthy to be allowed to roam free in the wide.

If you know any elder, tell him to take you to Evil forest, it's your natural habitat.

nollywood20:
[size=18pt]

Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by redsun(m): 8:59pm On Dec 22, 2012
Biafra is more like concept than physical and geographical location.It will mean the transformative part of a country called "nigeria".A "nigeria" were people will begin to apply common to build the societies for the benefit of all,rather thuggery and looting.

At the moment,the igbos seem to be more of their own mortal enemies with the crop of leaders they tolerate.So the concept of biafra among the igbos is not working at the moment as people.
Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by musiwa10: 9:27pm On Dec 22, 2012
c
Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by musiwa10: 9:33pm On Dec 22, 2012
f
Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by ochukoccna: 8:26am On Dec 23, 2012
musiwa10: here is a video showing you azikiwe did not support ojukwu or the igbo people.

azikiwe betray his people..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkknJYgaRp8
All I saw in the video was an Azikwe who knew negotiated dialogue as the ONLY way to bring about peace.
Let's not be clever by half
Ojukwu was a well trained& intelligent soldier who knew he COULD NEVER win the war based on the resources &support available to him then.
Isn't it pathetic that the country you renounced,rebelled &fought against was the same one which buried you?
Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by Nobody: 8:34am On Dec 23, 2012
nollywood20:

Biafra was more of a suicidal mission than a country.

True, the biafra war was a mistake that changed the destiny of Nigeria and Igbos, but all that's in the past. We should forge ahead.
Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by ba7man(m): 8:58am On Dec 23, 2012
J12:

True, the biafra war was a mistake that changed the destiny of Nigeria and Igbos, but all that's in the past. We should forge ahead.
A sensible Nigerian's comment.
Re: Dear Pa Chinua Achebe, Biafra Was Not A Country, But A Suicidal Mission by nollywood20: 3:53pm On Dec 23, 2012
J12:

Thank you and happy holidays with a Happy New Year!

(1) (Reply)

How APC Primaries Was better than That of PDP In ADAMAWA State. / Lit. Col. Adeboye Obasanjo Is Responding To Treatment - Chief Olusegun Obasanjo / Men Should Have Sex Slaves, Says Female Kuwaiti Politician.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.