Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,285 members, 7,836,261 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children (1818 Views)

Have Time For Your Family- Get A Career On The Internet / Things Parents Use To Scare Their Children! / Should Parents Apologise If They Punish Their Children Wrongly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by Latoya(f): 1:07am On Aug 05, 2005
hot-angel:
One more thing: [Parents in the same profession] shouldn't try to make their children into what they are. Most parents that are of the same profession (mostly doctors, lawyers and those top people) always try to turn their kids into their kind. I think that's wrong.
From Husband and Wife in the Same Profesion

Yeah, I agree with you girl. Most kids do what they don't like. Choose what you want and you will be happy with it; don't try to be like mum or dad.
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by hotangel2(f): 3:31am On Aug 05, 2005
It's better when kids want to be like their mom/dad. IT's worse when Mom/dad want kids to be like them. You feel me?
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by Latoya(f): 3:40am On Aug 05, 2005
Hehe
i feel u gal,but Kids do what u like and not what they want
But dont disrespect them
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by hotangel2(f): 3:43am On Aug 05, 2005
if doing what i like meaning disrespecting my parents...psshh, i am up for it. Especially when what i wanna do is SO RIGHT!!!!
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by DEKING3(m): 10:45am On Aug 05, 2005
Uhu. I agree with you girls. Ones happiness is what really matters.
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by hotangel2(f): 10:54am On Aug 05, 2005
Exactly.. grin grin
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by DEKING3(m): 11:30am On Aug 05, 2005
Let me ask this question. What if your parents insist you must study what they want?
The reason I asked this question is bcoz of those who can't help themselves since they are totally dependent on their parents.
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by hotangel2(f): 11:43am On Aug 05, 2005
Psshshh..my dad won't do that, and if he does.. i ain't gon do what he wants me to do.
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by DEKING3(m): 11:53am On Aug 05, 2005
You're lucky not everyone is as lucky as you are you know.
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by hotangel2(f): 11:55am On Aug 05, 2005
it's not been lucky. u have right to do wat u want. smiley
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by DEKING3(m): 12:31pm On Aug 05, 2005
That's correct but not all have the opportunity to exercise this right especially in some African countries.
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by Latoya(f): 3:35pm On Aug 05, 2005
I agree wiv De-King.
its all about the rigts in the Family and enviroments(Culture)
But u shuld choose what u want to do
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by hotangel2(f): 8:32pm On Aug 05, 2005
y'all r right.
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by Latoya(f): 5:08am On Aug 06, 2005
am always right wink wink wink
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by hotangel2(f): 8:00am On Aug 06, 2005
yes u r. smiley
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by Latoya(f): 2:21pm On Aug 06, 2005
So r u smiley
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by DEKING3(m): 2:36pm On Aug 06, 2005
So, you see, if you have an opportunity to at least do what you want, just thank God for it. smiley
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by Latoya(f): 2:46pm On Aug 06, 2005
DE-king u don dey change d talks o
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by hotangel2(f): 6:14pm On Aug 06, 2005
Yah DE-King, I thank God for this opportunity.
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by DEKING3(m): 8:30am On Aug 08, 2005
Latoya:

DE-king u don dey change d talks o

Latoya I don't understand what you mean.
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by gina34(f): 2:18pm On Aug 09, 2005
All i can say is for the kids to do what they are good at,
not what ur parent wants u to do.
it could distroy your future.
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by hotangel2(f): 12:10am On Aug 10, 2005
Damn right gina.
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by Seun(m): 12:26am On Aug 10, 2005
Don't you want to listen to what others have to say? grin
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by Ka: 12:31am On Aug 10, 2005
The trouble with this 'what the parent wants and what the child wants' issue is that people assume that the two are mutually exclusive. In other words, they assume that either the child forgoes doing what she wants and does what the parent wants or she does what she wants and forgoes doing what the parent wants (unless there is a happy coincidence and both parent and child want the same thing).

Well, what if the parent decides that there are a range of things he would like to do and the child also decides that there are a range things that she would like to do? Then there's a greater chance of there being a happy coincidence.

But if I was a parent, I would get the child to do what I want by subtle and not-so-subtle techniques. For example, if I wanted him to be a world-class footballer, I would play audio tapes of football matches during my wife's pregnancy. Then I would play back-to-back videos of footballers when he was a baby... I'd take him for kickabouts in the nearest playground when he was a toddler... I'd hang posters of world famous footballers in the house... I'd buy football video games, etc. etc.
Re: Parents Imposing A Career on Their Children by Motee(f): 11:01am On Oct 18, 2005
Ka:

But if I was a parent, I would get the child to do what I want by subtle and not-so-subtle techniques. For example, if I wanted him to be a world-class footballer, I would play audio tapes of football matches during my wife's pregnancy. Then I would play back-to-back videos of footballers when he was a baby... I'd take him for kickabouts in the nearest playground when he was a toddler... I'd hang posters of world famous footballers in the house... I'd buy football video games, etc. etc.

Very interesting point.

(1) (Reply)

Help Me Out: My Fiance Has a Son / Why Do I Always Feel Helpless,whenever I Come Across A Man Beating His Wife? / Last Longer In Bed With These Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.