Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,087 members, 7,811,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:40 PM

President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) (11107 Views)

Senate Committee On Debts & Loans Visit Lagos To Inspect Projects / Mrs Buhari And Her Pretty Daughter Zahra Pictured In Lagos Today / Massive Traffic As Jonathan Visit Lagos (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by GoodNigerian: 11:51am On Dec 24, 2012
grin
Dudu_Negro: To stay clear from the insecurity and threat of attack in Abuja.
Them say na 24th Dec. to ...Is SOMEBODY running away?
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by ujukala: 12:04pm On Dec 24, 2012
Jobseekers, remember you are leaders of this great country. It is a matter of time. Keep trying. Happy xmas and New year.
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by samguru(m): 12:05pm On Dec 24, 2012
he paid a condolence visit to the family of the late Azazi who died in the helicopter crash,so this reason is cogent enough to keep the whole business along ikoyi standstill,what is the nonsense value of this visit?
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by sholasho(m): 12:09pm On Dec 24, 2012
obongoboy: check this pic out, did u see frustrated ibo, yoruba, and hausa market women, did u see any amour car, did u see 10000 soldiers, 5000 mobile police men, did u see any politically insane looters, did u see airspace close down, how many AK 47 did u see on the well dressed security men? give me a brake, Nigeria is a failed state

My Friend, Failed is an understatement. We re DOOMED.

BBPREYEgarri:

Whether you like it or not GEJ is the best thing to have ever happened to Nigeria. By the time he starts his second term by 2015 all of you haters would shut up your gutters!

Thanks for ur advice.. GARRI

Bros! A Time is coming when everyone (People Feeling the heat) would ve been pushed behind the wall, that is when you will see em retaliate.
People dey Para, em just still dey calm down.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by ABAboi: 12:14pm On Dec 24, 2012
Nigeria faces a unique security threat which UK, US etal do not face.

However I think Nigerian security agencies are over zealous in their quest to protect the president and Nigerians
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by sholasho(m): 12:15pm On Dec 24, 2012
obongoboy: check this pic out, did u see frustrated ibo, yoruba, and hausa market women, did u see any amour car, did u see 10000 soldiers, 5000 mobile police men, did u see any politically insane looters, did u see airspace close down, how many AK 47 did u see on the well dressed security men? give me a brake, Nigeria is a failed state

I think i could remember the last time one Honourable house of Reps member was in Lagos @ Ikeja on his way to the airport.
I think the only place i saw such troop with weapons was in a War Film *whew*

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by Symphony007: 12:34pm On Dec 24, 2012
Please some of your critisims are pathetic. It is standard practise that when world leader's motorcade move, roads are closed. It happens everywhere. Even newyork city as busy as it is comes to a halt when the president is in town. Direct your anger at the security agencies who put the blocks in place not the president who has other things to think about!! Always looking for an opportunity to bash jonathan!!!
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by Symphony007: 12:38pm On Dec 24, 2012
Gbawe:

Guy I doff my hat for the part in bold above. This is what Nigerians, a people oppressed to the point of insanity and apathy, do not realise. The leaders of rich Nations flying with BA and Virgin. Our President , heading a Nation with the majority in poverty, maintains an expensive fleet of planes yet still demanding more while foolish and oppressed folks support him blindly because they have no appreciation of what obtains in saner climes.

David Cameron is unobtrusive in his travels, yet States shut down when GEJ visits for worthless reasons. No one is saying that GEJ began this tradition of largess and waste but we must demand Nigeria gains a President who can begin to move our nation away from these unsustainable acts of profligacy, insensitivity and 'big man' indolence not at all congruous with what the world is today. A bit like shunning an electric or solar powered car, in an energy challenged world, to insist on driving an 8 litre gas guzzler.
david cameron moves in a bulletproof custom made car and a motorcade of rang rovers that makes the entire motorcade of jonathan seem like tokumbo cars, westminister is only a few blocks from downing street but his motorcade led by police outriders block london traffic. Get your facts right before jumping on the bash jonathan wagon.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by Symphony007: 12:42pm On Dec 24, 2012
k2039: Symptoms of a failed republic
a president's motorcade stopping traffic is the symptom of a failed republic? Then the u.s where airforce one coming to new york means the shut down of air traffic in the entire east coast and the presidents motorcade routh is shut to traffic about two hours before it passes is a long failed state. Pathetic.
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by Symphony007: 12:53pm On Dec 24, 2012
if nigeria is a failed state because security put in place for their head of state and commander in chief then every western country starting with the u.s is a failed state.
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by Symphony007: 12:56pm On Dec 24, 2012
samguru: he paid a condolence visit to the family of the late Azazi who died in the helicopter crash,so this reason is cogent enough to keep the whole business along ikoyi standstill,what is the nonsense value of this visit?
pres. Obama once grabbed a burger with bill clinton at lower manhattan and the heart of the global economy "lower manhattan" was shut to traffic.#bashjonathan.
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by sucess001(m): 12:58pm On Dec 24, 2012
Symphony007: a president's motorcade stopping traffic is the symptom of a failed republic? Then the u.s where airforce one coming to new york means the shut down of air traffic in the entire east coast and the presidents motorcade routh is shut to traffic about two hours before it passes is a long failed state. Pathetic.

some pple just say funny tins sha...even in Nigeria here...which other president had a penchant for closing down traffic the way Jonathan does? even Obasanjo wasnt like dis...so the nation should stop cos u wanna 'honour' ur president?
some of u dnt even know that thepresident's operations should not in any way stiffle the daily lives of the pple he governs...if having a president will mean so much inconvenience...no point having one den...the pple elect a leader to make their lives better and easier...not the other way around...

i shake my head vigorously for some f.ools here tryin to make it seem like we only bashing the jona i.diot... he actually is a du.mbass!
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 24, 2012
money-hungry :
funny thing is, he might be coming to see a chick in UNILAG...
No idiot. He actually came to Lagos to condole with the late Azazi's family who lives in Ikoyi.
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by Gbawe: 1:16pm On Dec 24, 2012
Symphony007: david cameron moves in a bulletproof custom made car and a motorcade of rang rovers that makes the entire motorcade of jonathan seem like tokumbo cars, westminister is only a few blocks from downing street but his motorcade led by police outriders block london traffic. Get your facts right before jumping on the bash jonathan wagon.

No. You should get your facts right before sycophantically defending one of the most callously wasteful President in the World who heads a Nation home to some of the most poverty-stricken worldwide. All of you holding brief for this wasteful President, a throwback to the dark days of wanton profligacy, simply have no shame. Jonathan's profligate mien is not at all consonant with his status as President of a Nation were it is claimed that many live on less than a dollar a day. Some of you should speak the truth and shame the devil sometimes.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3060952/David-Camerons-flight-saves-200k.html

Cam’s flight saves £200k

Money saving ... Cam took regular flight

CASH-CONSCIOUS David Cameron flew out to meet President Barack Obama last night on a regular BA flight — astonishing other passengers.

For the first time on a major official visit, the Premier turned down chartering his own plane to make the two-day trip to Washington DC.
And he even spurned First Class tickets to travel in the far cheaper Business Class. The move saved £200,000 in costs, Downing Street officials said.
Passengers were aghast when Mr Cameron and his team of officials boarded the plane to Dulles airport and took seats beside them.
In the past, PMs travelling on long overseas trips have always chartered a Boeing 747 or 767 — at a cost of £300,000 — or used RAF jets.
It is Mr Cameron’s latest attempt to lead from the front on sweeping spending cuts across government to pay off Britain’s crippling £155billion deficit.
But flying commercial meant meetings in the US capital had to be arranged around the British Airways flight timetable.
And his money-saving drives are a security headache for his police bodyguards. Appearing in public more often may encourage terrorists to launch a chance attack on him, they have argued.
The move was also met with surprise by American officials, where President Obama travels everywhere on Air Force One — his own 2,000 sq ft Boeing 747.
A No10 source said: “When we are asking the country to tighten their belts as much as we are it’s very hard to justify hiring big jets to swan around the world.
[size=14pt]“It may make his travel a little harder, but the PM believes it’s up to him to set an example.”[/size]

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3060952/David-Camerons-flight-saves-200k.html#ixzz2FyFlvimi

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by Symphony007: 1:17pm On Dec 24, 2012
sucess001:

some pple just say funny tins sha...even in Nigeria here...which other president had a penchant for closing down traffic the way Jonathan does? even Obasanjo wasnt like dis...so the nation should stop cos u wanna 'honour' ur president?
some of u dnt even know that thepresident's operations should not in any way stiffle the daily lives of the pple he governs...if having a president will mean so much inconvenience...no point having one den...the pple elect a leader to make their lives better and easier...not the other way around...

i shake my head vigorously for some f.ools here tryin to make it seem like we only bashing the jona i.diot... he actually is a du.mbass!
by mentioning obasanjo you just exastubated your ignorance of this issue. Obasanjo did this big time. I remember once in port harcourt when obasanjo was in town to do some commissioning. The state was so clogged up that some schools did'nt open. Many other occasions, him and the late mrs stella obasanjo. Pls get your facts right.
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by dejijohns(m): 1:21pm On Dec 24, 2012
Mcdugull:

This will be my last Cr.ack this year! grin grin grin

I pray u'l b able 2kip dix ur new yr resolution...
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by Symphony007: 1:23pm On Dec 24, 2012
Gbawe:

No. You should get your facts right before sycophantically defending one of the most callously wasteful President in the World who heads a Nation home to some of the most poverty-stricken worldwide. All of you holding brief for this wasteful President, a throwback to the dark days of wanton profligacy, simply have no shame. Jonathan's profligate mien is not at all consnonat with his status as President of a Nation were it is claimed that many live on less than a dollar a day. Some of you should speak the truth and shame the devil sometimes.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3060952/David-Camerons-flight-saves-200k.html

if you want to discuss pres. Jonathan's policies we can do that another day let's discuss this issue at hand. As lovely and cost cutting as that sounds what it does'nt say is the commons blasting cameron's government for it's wastefull travel spending. That was a photo up for parliament. David cameron and his boys use the queen's flight more than the royal farmily. He chatters jet's to brussles when he and his staffs can ride for a few pounds on eurostar. Once again check your facts sir.
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by naptu2: 1:28pm On Dec 24, 2012
Hmph! We seem to be going down the wrong road again. This isn't about comparison. It's about what works best for everyone and what is the best practice and how we can curb abuse of the system.
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by duni04(m): 1:38pm On Dec 24, 2012
GARRI (x7):
@Gbawe: The masses are the boss before and during election, but after the election, its the other way round..
U sure? Cos I don't think we count during elections when they can always rig themselves in
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by franchizy(m): 1:43pm On Dec 24, 2012
samguru:

which honour?i think this honour has been over-abused,ask me why? ok if president is coming everywhere will be blocked,if his wife is coming same thing happen,even if his children are going out i guess it will be th same.

have you ever heard about such occurrence in advanced countries we claim to be learning from?

Please ur reasons or points are too childish. GEJ is the Number one citizen, he deserves the honour, note that things like dis had happened when other people ruled Nigeria. I'm short of words d way u people criticise GEJ but he is d best president so far I ve ever seen in Nigeria
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by OmoTier1(m): 1:50pm On Dec 24, 2012
ABAboi: Nigeria faces a unique security threat which UK, US etal do not face.

However I think Nigerian security agencies are over zealous in their quest to protect the president and Nigerians
I am sorry, Nigeria faces no worst or different security threat than the US or UK. Who are technically at war against Islamic extremist and nationalist in their own country. If Oshiomhole, Fashola and the other governors that move around with the platoons of soldiers, police, etc without closing down roads for hours can do so in Nigeria, surely GEJ can do the same.

The truth is, if GEJ was governing the country with fairness, truth and justice, He would be loved and free to move about without the need for road closures and airspace closure for hours. I know this attitude did not start with GEJ but I expected that He will use this little things to mark a departure from the old that he has always wanted Nigerians to believe He is not part off.

Least I forget, I pray no airplane crashes this time around like what happen to the DANA airplane when His wife visited Lagos.
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by naptu2: 1:55pm On Dec 24, 2012
This exactly what I'm talking about. I just saw the helicopter land at Dodan Barracks; why wasn't that done this morning.
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by TableLeg(m): 1:56pm On Dec 24, 2012
Jonathan to visit Lagos, how is this news?!
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by OmoTier1(m): 1:57pm On Dec 24, 2012
franchizy:

Please ur reasons or points are too childish. GEJ is the Number one citizen, he deserves the honour, note that things like dis had happened when other people ruled Nigeria. I'm short of words d way u people criticise GEJ but he is d best president so far I ve ever seen in Nigeria
If you think this how He needs to be honoured I feel so sorry for you. You know when a man is deserving of honour when he is in a position to get one and he truly is given it. Closing commercial roads, airport for hours by a President is no honour dude, I is called stupidity.

I was on a 6.30am Cross country train in the England running to Scotland and the Defence Secretary and Minister was going to board that Train somewhere I do not know. I got into the carriage He was going to be in, it was a normal yet starkly different to the other carriages in that I saw notices on the tables and seats saying certain seats were reserved and I was politely told that it was meant for the defence minister who has paid in advanced for it. No one close down the entire carriage, nor the who track! Same when David Cameron goes on Virgin Trains to Manchester. Why can't our leaders mix with the people they govern?
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by OmoTier1(m): 1:59pm On Dec 24, 2012
naptu2: This exactly what I'm talking about. I just saw the helicopter land at Dodan Barracks; why wasn't that done this morning.
Thank you, I am sure they are even high rise buildings with heliports around Lagos He can gracefully land in without anyone knowing He is in Lagos!
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by glamourhampers: 2:14pm On Dec 24, 2012
hope he is coming and going by air, cos if he tries the road he will be stuck on traffic till tomorrow
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by taharqa: 2:19pm On Dec 24, 2012
Gbawe:

No. You should get your facts right before sycophantically defending one of the most callously wasteful President in the World who heads a Nation home to some of the most poverty-stricken worldwide. All of you holding brief for this wasteful President, a throwback to the dark days of wanton profligacy, simply have no shame. Jonathan's profligate mien is not at all consonant with his status as President of a Nation were it is claimed that many live on less than a dollar a day. Some of you should speak the truth and shame the devil sometimes.

If i said now that u are a PROPAGANDISTS u go start to dey boil again.. The guy made specific points on d fact that d Security agencies protecting d US and UK presidents/prime ministers also block d roads and airspace when eva they move, and you chose to talk about smthing else- 'cost of governance'.... Oh by d way, that STUNT Cameron pulld, our own Obj had once done so; u go figure...
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by duni04(m): 2:21pm On Dec 24, 2012
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by duni04(m): 2:22pm On Dec 24, 2012
In reality though I don't think the president is directly responsible for his security. His security details are supposed to plan out and choose the safest and most convenient route for the president to travel. What jonathan can do however is to advice his security details to plan out routes that do not disturb the normal daily routine of average Nigerians.
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by taharqa: 2:32pm On Dec 24, 2012
naptu2: Hmph! We seem to be going down the wrong road again. This isn't about comparison. It's about what works best for everyone and what is the best practice and how we can curb abuse of the system.
Oh! So, we shld not make any comparison NOW? We shldn't mk comparison wit how d Security agencies of oda Presidents/Heads of State including 4rm d 'developd' world handle matas like dis NOR shld we mk comparison wit hw oda former Nigerian presidents also handled it? We shld only focus on GEJ, right? Cud it be cos d comparison wud show that most of these oda leadas did almost same tin that u guys are accussing GEJ of. Oh! I forgot, that wudnt rili mata cos the real reason of dis thread is to bash GEJ anyway- so no need for comparisons.... I can see hw dat is Fair and hw it is 'the best for everybody'!!.....
Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by naptu2: 2:41pm On Dec 24, 2012
taharqa: Oh! So, we shld not make any comparison NOW? We shldn't mk comparison wit how d Security agencies of oda Presidents/Heads of State including 4rm d 'developd' world handle matas like dis NOR shld we mk comparison wit hw oda former Nigerian presidents also handled it? We shld only focus on GEJ, right? Cud it be cos d comparison wud show that most of these oda leadas did almost same tin that u guys are accussing GEJ of. Oh! I forgot, that wudnt rili mata cos the real reason of dis thread is to bash GEJ anyway- so no need for comparisons.... I can see hw dat is Fair and hw it is 'the best for everybody'!!.....

Hahahahahahahahahahahhaha!

1) I can write a book on Nigerian and US security

2) I can show you a thread where it appeared as if I was defending GEJ on this same issue of motorcades and road closures, but that's not what I'm doing, I'm looking for the best practice for Nigeria because I want a better Nigeria (I'm not one of you "GEJ till I die" or "GEJ bashers", I want a better Nigeria period!

3) On that same thread I told them that it's not about comparisons. Why? Because I'm not one of those follow follow people. If the US makes a mistake, does that mean that we should make the same mistake? If a Nigerian makes an innovation, does that mean that we should discard it because it's not done in the US?

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan To Visit Lagos Today (24/12/12) by oddy4real(m): 2:41pm On Dec 24, 2012
What rubbish are you these God forsaken propagandists saying? I have been on the Island since and the hold up has been just the way it is on normal days while the hold up on 3rd mainland bridge is as a result of the fixing of a portion of the road by FERMA.
I hope these hatred for the President by Gbawe and his co paid anti Governments propagandists would not drive them crazy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jigawa Passes ‘No HIV Test, No Marriage’ Bill Into Law / Wike, El Rufai, Ben Ayade, Masari In Tight Race For 2019 Governor Of The Year / Google Changes Policy On Abortion Advertising (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.