Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,372 members, 7,836,504 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God (8912 Views)

Pastor Anita Oyakhilome Debuts New Look (Photo) / @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising / Bible Study For Bible Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by ecolime(m): 10:02am On Jan 29, 2013
obalola7:

Thank you so much Ecolime and God bless you too
Amen
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by channel190(m): 1:19pm On Jan 29, 2013
can't believe I missed four chapters.

Keep it rolling in, don't wait for me o.

I will read through asap with my bible
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 1:58am On Jan 30, 2013
Rachel and Isaac Died

Genesis 35

Introduction- In our last lesson we learned about how Jacob's daughter was raped, the deception of Jacob's sons and the killing of the city men. In today's lesson we will be learning about how Rachel and Isaac died, Jacob left the city for Bethel, and Reuben had affair with Jacob's concubine.

Today's Study

After the sons of Jacob had killed the city men, God told Jacob to leave the city for Bethel to set up an altar there and worship him. Then Jacob told his entire household and instructs them to put off all their strange gods, gold and earrings. And they went to Shechem. While they went to Bethel, God’s terror was on the cities around them that they could not pursue them. But Rebekah nurse Deborah died and Jacob built an altar and called the place Elbethel
(Genesis 35:1-10)

Then God appeared unto Jacob and reaffirmed his promise to him that his descendants will be kings and he will be multiplied and after God had done talking he left him and Jacob set up a pillar and pour a drink offering and pour oil on it then called the place Bethel. Then they went on journey to Ephrath and Rachel was in hard labor and she died when she had her second son and called him Benoni, but Jacob called him Benjamin. And Rachel was buried in Ephrath of Bethlem where Jacob setup a pillar beside her grave.(Genesis 35:11-20)

Jacob continue his journey and spread his tent over the tower of Edar. But while they were there Reuben Jacob's first son from the first wife Leah went to make love with Rachel's maid, who is also Jacob's concubine and Jacob heard about it. Then Jacob went to Hebron where Abraham and Isaac lived and met Isaac and Isaac died after and he was buried by Jacob and Esau. (Genesis 35:21-29)

Reflection

In life we are bound to face all kinds of challenges, either as a promise child or as ordinary child. However, the promise child might even have more challenges than ordinary child. If we pray for extraordinary miracle, we must be ready to render extraordinary sacrifice. Jacob experience could testified to that, first, his two sons Simeon and Levi had just killed the city men and now, Reuben the first son is having affair with Jacob's concubine. He could be asking God, if theses are part of the kings that God is promising him?"6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)

However, God is always faithful, he preserved the life of Jacob during these ordeals and make his enemy to be dreadful of him. God can do wonders. He can make those who are mightier than you to be afraid of you, when you are on his side. When we see God as being bigger than our problems, he expressly shows up and delivers us. "27 I will send my fear before thee, and will destroy all the people to whom thou shalt come, and I will make all thine enemies turn their backs unto thee."(Exodus 23:27)

May God help us to be on God's side.
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 1:54pm On Jan 30, 2013
channel 190: can't believe I missed four chapters.

Keep it rolling in, don't wait for me o.

I will read through asap with my bible

You shouldn't be missing up to four chapters..show a good example.

1 Like

Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 2:11am On Jan 31, 2013
Generation of Esau

Genesis 36

Introduction- In our last lesson we learned about how Rachel and Isaac died, Jacob left the city for Bethel, and Esau left for Edom. In today's lesson we will be learning about the generation of Esau, Esau left for Edom and his children became Dukes of Edom

Today's Study

The generation of Esau: he married to Adah daughter of Elon the Hittite and Aholibahah the daughter of Anah the Hivite and also to Bashemath Ishmael's daughter sister of Nebajoth. Then Adah had Jeush, Jaalam, and Korah in Canaan. Then Esau took all that he had, including his family, cattle and left Canaan for Jacob to Seir because they were both blessed that the land could not contain them together. While in Seir he had Eliphaz by Adah and Reuel by Bashemath. (Genesis 36:1-10)

Then Esau had sons by his three wives and there were dukes in the land of Edom. They were duke Timnah, duke Alvah, duke Jetheth, duke Aholibamah, duke Elah, duke Pinon, duke Kenaz, duke Teman, duke Mibzar, duke Magdiel, duke Iram: these were the dukes of Edom according to their land procession and Esau was the father of the Edomites. (Genesis 36:11-43)

Reflection

God was still faithful despite how Esau was defrauded of his blessing. That single blessing he pleaded Isaac to bless him with, sustained him. For the 20 years that Jacob was gone to serve Leban and to run away from Esau from being killed, Esau was as blessed as Jacob. One thing was clear, Jacob had kings, and Esau had dukes. Instead of Esau maintaining an everlasting covenant, he had a blessing that sustained him during his lifetime. "20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation."(Genesis 17:20)

While there was no major account of how Esau got all his wealth, it was noted as of when Jacob was about to meet him he had 400 men, far more than what Jacob had and God blessed him too. This reflects that, if Jacob had not received his blessing by deceit, he would still be blessed, but we might have had a different story. The blessing that Abraham left for Isaac was more than enough for him and if he share them between Jacob and Esau they will still not have enough place to contain them."6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."(Proverbs 3:6)

When we control things with our own knowledge by trying to grab everything, we are only creating headache, pain and sorrow for ourselves, while we may be fortunate to have God to go with us through the pains, we will definitely feel it and some might not be fortunate, they could die while trying to sustain their greed. Why don't we relax, wait and let God do his work? Let us as children of God take greed out of our ways and trust God for all our needs."36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" (Mark 8:36)

May the almighty teach us to be contented.

1 Like

Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 1:30pm On Jan 31, 2013
Prayer Points to Usher in the New Month of February 2013

Thank you all for those who have contributed into this process and have prayed and wish us success. We want to also thank those who have passed by and had read, glanced or even ignored. Your presence at all times meant a lot to us and I am so grateful for your silent support.

Today is the end of the first month of this year; I think we should have lots of things to thank God for. Please join me in thanking God for these few things and I pray that the new month will deliver than this first month in Jesus name.

A. Please let us thank God for Journey mercies through the new month, for his protection, Provision, Favor, Mercy and Grace.

B. We should remember to thank God knowing that many started the month with us, they are all gone and we are still alive standing.

C. Despite our needs, God is still faithful lets pray for our country Nigeria

D. Lets pray for our parents, our family, siblings, children and old ones

E. Lets pray for Nigeria economy that God should restore a better Nigeria

F. Lets pray for the unemployed, employed, the breadwinners in our family

G. Lets pray for the barren, orphans, bereaved, distressed and those in sorrow

Many of these prayer points are selected from our lessons, lets us create the habit of prayer and rededicate our lives to God, like Abraham, Isaac and Jacob did.

May the almighty give us February testimonies and help us as we continue the Genesis series of our BIBLE STUDY MADE EASY.

May His goodness be with you all in Jesus Name

2 Likes

Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by channel190(m): 1:55am On Feb 01, 2013
finaly finaly. thanks foq the updates and prayer for this new month febuary. have wanted to always read with 3full mind, that waps way i left behind. our previnmus chapters d dealt wit praymderr prayers. good, good. hapy new year
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 4:06am On Feb 01, 2013
Joseph sold to slavery

Genesis 37

Introduction- In our last lesson we learned about the generation of Esau, Esau left for Edom and his children became Dukes of Edom. In today's lesson we will be learning about how Joseph sold to slavery, Joseph brothers plan to kill him, Reuben rescued Joseph and Judah suggested they sell Joseph

Today's Study

Now Jacob live in the land of Canaan where his father was a stranger. When Joseph was 17 he works with sons of Bilhah and Zilpah his father's wives in feeding the flocks and he will bring report on all the bad things they did. And Jacob love Joseph because he was a child of his old age and he made him a coat of many colors. When his brothers saw that their father loved him, they hated him and would not speak freely around him. Then Joseph had a dream and he told his brothers and they hated him the more. In his dream he told them what he saw: while they were binding sheaves in the field, and his sheaf stood upright while their sheaves stood around bowing down for his sheaf. Then his brother said, what kind of dream is that; is he saying he will reign over them? Then he dreamt another and told his brother that he saw sun, moon and stars salute him, and also told his father then his father asks what kind of dream was that; does he mean himself and his mother will bow before him? (Genesis 37:1-10)

However, Jacob took note of the dream, but his brother envied him the more. When his brothers went to Shechem to feed the flocks, Jacob thought to send Jacob to them to see how they were doing, and then Jacob left. While he was far away, they saw him and conspired to kill him and said to one another that the dreamer is coming, and they conspired to put him inside a hole and plan to tell their father that a wild animal killed him. While they were still planning on how to kill him, Reuben the first child heard it and delivered him out of their hands and he suggested they should not kill him. He then suggested that they should put him in a hole instead of killing him, in the hope that he can come to save Joseph and sent him back to Jacob alive.(Genesis 37:11-22)

When Joseph came near, they striped him off his coat of many colors and they put him in the hole, but it was empty with water. While they sat to eat bread, they saw the Ishmaelite’s traders coming from Gilead on their camels with spicery and balm that they were carrying to Egypt. Then Judah suggested that they sell him to Ishmaelite’s instead of killing their brother and hide his blood and they all agreed and they sold him for 20 pieces of silver and they brought Joseph to Egypt. When Reuben returned to the pit to save Joseph, he tore his clothes because Joseph was not there and he told his brothers that Joseph was not inside the hole. Then they dipped Joseph cloth in the blood of a goat they killed and they showed their father and he mourn his son after they told him he was killed by wild animal and he refused to be comforted by his children. Then Joseph was sold as a slave to Potiphar Pharaoh's captain of guard in Egypt. Genesis 37:23-36)

Reflection

If God is in operation, he will make unpleasant things happen to those who trust in him. He will bring them out of their comfort zone and place them where they list expected. He will make those people who are closer to them hates them, either for their success, drive and belief. Many times God will allow them to be intimidated, punished and even suffered and at the end, he will prove his point. In our minds, we would not want such bad things to happen to Joseph, but we should know that those who are destined for greatness go through a lot of shaping, molding, restructuring, reforming, repairing and prefixing for purpose of destiny. "211 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end."(Jeremiah 29:11)

Joseph was only going through the process; he needs to know how to be a slave so he can be a good leader. He needs to know how to be hated, so he can know how to love people, he needs to know how to be kept in pit, so he can be on top, he needs to know how one can be destroyed with passion, so he can amend with passion. If you are going through a lot as you read this, be well assured that your smiling days are closer than you could imagine. You should put smile on your face and start thanking God that you are almost in shape for destiny. "2 When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee." (Isaiah 43:2)

My prayer is that destiny will make your enemy send you to where you will prosper and the Almighty God will make your enemy to be an instrument for accelerated destiny fulfillment.
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 3:45am On Feb 02, 2013
Judah had affair with his daughter in-law

Genesis 38

Introduction- In our last lesson we learned about how Joseph sold to slavery, Joseph brothers plan to kill him, Reuben rescued Joseph and Judah suggested they sell Joseph. In today's lesson we will be learning about how Judah had affair with his daughter in-law, God kill Judah's two sons for their wickedness and Tamar had twins.

Today's Study

Now Judah went away from his brother and he had affair with a Canaanite woman whose name was Shuah and had Er, Onan, Shelah and Judah married Tamar for Er his son, but Er was wicked and God killed him. Then Judah sent Onan to make love with Tamar so he can raise children for Er and Onan would not want to raise children for Er and he spilled his sperm on the ground and God killed him for his action. (Genesis 38:1-10)

Then Judah sent Temar away to his father's house to remain there until Shelah is grown, because Judah fear that his last child would die like his older brothers. After some time Judah left with his friend Hirah the Adullamite to sheep shearing when the daughter of Shuah died. And Tamar heard that her father in-law was going to Timnath for sheep shearing and she put off her widow garment and cover herself with veil and saw that Shelah has grown but was not given to her, but when Judah saw her, he thought she was an harlot. Then Judah went to her and had an affair and they negotiate for the payment of the service, and they agreed that Judah drop his staff, bracelets, signet as collaterals until Judah brings a kid goat. Then Tamar change her clothes and left the place before Judah could return with kid goat to recover his collaterals. Genesis 38:11-20)

Then he asked the people around where the harlot that sit on the roadside and they told him there was not harlot here. Then Judah asked the young man he had earlier sent to forget about it, so that its not exposed. Three months later, Judah heard that Tamar was pregnant and she said bring her so she is burnt, because she was harlot. When she came to Judah, she said the man that own this signet, staff and bracelet was the man that had an affair with me and Judah saw it and said, she is more righteous than him and had paid him back because he did not give her Shelah and Judah never had any affair with her again. And when Tamar was to deliver, she gave birth to twins and they were Pharez and Zerah. Genesis 38:21-30)

Reflection

Our God is a consuming fire and could punish whoever do contrary to his will immediately. Sometimes his judgments are instantaneous and many times he waits patiently. God was displeased with Er and Onan because they acted wickedly before him. But God is always a faithful God and he will not punish harshly if a sin is committed mistakenly. As children of God, we should make sure we do not undermine God's or put him to the back seat in our lives, because when his judgment come calling, it could be disastrous. May God help us. "29 For our God is a consuming fire." (Hebrews 12:29)

Many times, God brings great things out of our mistakes. Just like some children that we propose to abort, but for divine reason, they were kept; those children are usually children of destiny. Judah mistakenly had affair with his daughter in-law and she had twins; it’s a reflection on how great things could come out of mistake. "13 Then shall the virgin rejoice in the dance, both young men and old together: for I will turn their mourning into joy, and will comfort them, and make them rejoice from their sorrow."(Jeremiah 31:13)

My prayer is that God will turn our mistakes to master plan.
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 5:23am On Feb 03, 2013
Joseph escaped being raped

Genesis 39

Introduction- In our last lesson we learned about how Judah had affair with his daughter in-law, God kill Judah's two sons for their wickedness and Tamar had twins. In today's lesson we will be learning about how Joseph finds favor before Potiphar before he escaped being raped, and how Joseph was imprisoned.

Today's Study

When Joseph got to Egypt, Potiphar Pharaoh officer bought him. Then God made all that Joseph did to prosper and Potiphar knew it. So Joseph found grace in Potiphar's eyes that he made him to oversee his entire house. Joseph oversees everything and God bless Potiphar because of Joseph. Then Potiphar's wife asked Joseph to sleep with her, but Joseph refused to do such wicked things and sin against God. However she continue to talk to Joseph everyday but Joseph refused. (Genesis 39:1-10)

One day when there was no one in the house except Joseph, Potiphar's wife held his cloth and tried to force her way to Joseph, then he left his cloth in her hand and ran outside. When she saw that she had his cloths, she called the men of the house and lied that Joseph tried to rape her. When Potiphar arrived she narrated the same story that the Hebrew slave try to rape her. Then Potiphar took Joseph to prison, but the Lord was with Joseph and showed him favor before the guard of the prison and he was entrusted with the keeping of the prisoners and all that Joseph did prospered. (Genesis 39:11-23)

Reflection

As children of God, our stands can put us in a whole big mess, but we should not relinquished our standard. We should remember that God sees it before it happens and if he takes us to it, he will lead us out of it. Our carnal mind might have said, wow what a wonderful opportunity to screw a boss wife, but it would have been disastrous if Joseph had fall. He would have lost God's favor that was showered on him and perhaps miss on his destiny." 18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body."(1 Corinthians 6:18)

Children of God let us maintain our Christian standard even when it’s difficult, practical, unpleasant and unwise. We will see that God will turn things around. You can imagine what would have happened, if Joseph had slept with his boss wife, he might have stayed longer with his boss for some years before being caught. If eventually caught, he will not only lose constant favor God shown around him, he might also lost his dream interpretation gift, and might not have the opportunity to meet the butler that God will eventually use for his destiny. God has the best plan. "35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward."(Hebrews 10:35)

My prayer is that God will give us the grace to stand our ground in Christ when it’s difficult.
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by channel190(m): 6:56am On Feb 03, 2013
ibo culture and igala culture have roots in the first two chapters, maring their brothers wife to help give birth and GOD Supported It O.

Anything That Is Bind On Earth Is Bind In Heaven,
From These Chapters Of Joseph One Could See That Not All Human Problem Is AimLess.
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 3:43pm On Feb 03, 2013
channel 190: ibo culture and igala culture have roots in the first two chapters, maring their brothers wife to help give birth and GOD Supported It O.

Anything That Is Bind On Earth Is Bind In Heaven,
From These Chapters Of Joseph One Could See That Not All Human Problem Is AimLess.

Yes not all human problems are aimless. Also the culture of Igbo and Igala culture are something that could not be sustained anymore, considering the sins that comes out of it.
The New testament abolished that and rather suggested it is good for a man to remain single so he can be more vibrant for God service.
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 3:38am On Feb 04, 2013
Joseph interprets dreams

Genesis 40

Introduction- In our last lesson we learned about how Joseph find favor before Potiphar before he escaped being raped, and how Joseph was imprisoned. In today's lesson we will be learning about how Joseph interprets Pharaoh's chief butler and baker's dreams and how the chief butler forgot him when he got his job back.

Today's Study

While Joseph was in the prison Pharaoh Butler and baker were charged to prison because they offended Pharaoh. Both of them were in the same ward with Joseph and they had a dream and Joseph interpreted the dream. Then he told the butler that in three days he will be reinstated to his former position as a butler and he told the butler to remember him when he gets his job as Pharaoh's butler. (Genesis 40: 1-15)

When the chief baker saw that the interpretation was good, he told Joseph his dream also and Joseph interpreted it that in 3 days his head will be taken off from him. On the third day, it was Pharaoh's birthday and Joseph interpretation came to pass as he said, but the chief butler did not remember Joseph. (Genesis 40:16-23)

Reflection

Human being will definitely forget you. It is God that will not forget you. Even your parents will sometime forget you, God is the only creator that does not forget his own. Joseph was forgotten, but God was with him. The passage of Genesis 40 made us to understand that Joseph receives constant favor, he was in charge even in the prison. God will sometime make your harsh condition bearable so that he can perfect his plan for you. Christians are to depend on God on every moment of their way."6 Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."(Deuteronomy 31:6)

You and I will probably be worrying just as Joseph was. Joseph worried must have led him to think that the butler was the best solution out of this mess, but man cannot do anything without God consent. It was not yet time for God to set Joseph free, so the butler forgot him. We all experience the same thing whenever we think the butlers of our lives will save us, they most time disappoint us the more. God is only true friend to rely on and trust for all our worries. As Christians we should learn not to rely on man for anything, but God alone. He is the savior that will remember you when the world forgets you. He is father of the fatherless and helper of the helpless. "3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help."(Psaims 146:3)

May God give us the spirit that relies on God.

1 Like

Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 4:23am On Feb 05, 2013
Joseph became governor in Egypt

Genesis 41

Introduction- In our last lesson we learned about how Joseph interprets Pharaoh's chief butler and baker's dreams and how he was forgotten by the chief butler when he got his job back. In today's lesson we will be learning about how Joseph became Egypt Chief Administrator, Pharaoh dreamt and Joseph interpreted it.

Today's Study

After two years had passed that Joseph interpreted the dreams for the butler and the baker, Pharaoh also had a dream and he went back to sleep and had the same dream in another way. When he woke up in the morning, his spirit was troubled and he sent for the magicians and wise men of Egypt and none of them could interpret the dream. The chief butler remembered Joseph and told Pharaoh about Joseph, and then he acknowledged his fault in not remembering Joseph before Pharaoh's dream. Then Pharaoh sent for Joseph and he narrated his dream to Joseph and Joseph interpreted the dream that both dreams are the same and here is the interpretation that, there will be seven years of plenty food and after then will be another seven years of famine.(Genesis 41:1-31)

The reason why the dreams came to Pharaoh twice was because the dream is established and God will surely bring it to pass and Joseph advice Pharaoh about the solution. Joseph told Pharaoh to look for a wise man who will be administrator over Egypt and the man will appoint officers over Egypt and they shall save 5th part of the land's harvest over seven years. Then they should save all the food in all the cities. And Pharaoh and his men were pleased with the advice and asked if there is any man in Egypt who has the spirit of God like Joseph and that there is no wise man like Joseph who will administer the land and Pharaoh charged him over his house and everything in Egypt except his throne. (Genesis 41:32-41)

Then Joseph was given a royal apparel, ring and chariot and he was honored then Pharaoh named him Zaphnathpaaneah and he gave him Asenath daughter of Potiphar priest of On for wife. He was 30 years when he became Egypt chief administrator. In the first seven years, the Egyptians do as Joseph commanded them. They gathered food as the sand of the sea and stored them for the seven famine years ahead. Then Joseph had two children the first Manasseh: God has made me forget all my pain and my father's house; the second he named Ephraim: God has made me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction. (Genesis 41: 42-52)

After this the seven years of plenty were ended. Then the famine started and the people went to Pharaoh and he commanded them to go to Joseph and whatever he told them they should do. And the famine extended to all parts of the earth and Joseph opened the stored house and all countries came to Egypt to buy corn because the famine was serious. (Genesis 41:53-57)

Reflection

God can change the hands of the time because of us. He will create a disaster that no one can fix, but us and then make the authority to see us as the only qualified individuals. There was no way anyone could remember a prisoner if not that he has a talent that those who are freed do not have. God has the best plan and strategy to make a poor man to sit with prince and princess. "19 Thy way is in the sea, and thy path in the great waters, and thy footsteps are not known."(Psalms 77:19)

When we let God's will take preeminence over our ambition, he will command favor to our way. If Joseph had been told that the chief butler will not remember him and if he will ever remember him, it will be after 2 years, Joseph would have either not interpret his dream or buried his head in total sorrow after interpreting the dream. If it is you and I, we might start asking God, why me, for another 2 years? But God's plan is always the best. God need to train Joseph more in the prison especially on administrative duties to look at the less privilege in the prison, he needs to know what it takes to be chain, when to serve hungry prisoner, because he will need that skills for his gubernatorial duties over Egypt."16 Because thou shalt forget thy misery, and remember it as waters that pass away:"(Job 11:16)

We might be going through a lot right now, but we can take a step back to look at what we have learned in the course of our trials and pains. Those skills will be needed when God will promote us very soon. But if we bury our head in our sorrow, we might failed an important life tutorial and when the opportunity set in, we will fail the interview. Joseph gubernatorial interview question was to interpret Pharaoh’s dream. What will your interview question be like? "2 When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee."(Isaiah 43:2)

May the almighty open our eyes to see opportunity in our oppression.
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 4:10am On Feb 06, 2013
Joseph brothers bowed to him

Genesis 42

Introduction- In our last lesson we learned about how Joseph became Egypt Chief Administrator, Pharaoh dreamt and Joseph interpreted it. In today's lesson we will be learning about how Joseph brothers bowed to him, he accused his brothers of being spies and detained Simeon until Benjamin is brought to him

Today's Study

Now the famine in Egypt has spread through all countries including Canaan where Jacob lives. Then Jacob asked his sons to go to Egypt to go buy corn. All the sons went to Egypt except Jacob last son Benjamin, Joseph younger brother. In Egypt, Joseph was the governor of the land and he was the one that sell to all that came buying corn. When his brother saw him, they bowed down their face to the ground and they did not know him, but he knew them. Then Joseph spoke roughly to them and he asked where they came from and they said from Canaan and Joseph remembered the dream he had about his brothers bowing for him, and accused them of spying the land and they said no, they had come to buy food. (Genesis 42:1-10)

Then they said, they were all of one father and have genuine come to buy food and that their father had 12 sons and they live in Canaan and the youngest is in the house with their father, except one that is no more. Then Joseph said that was the reason he called them spies and he said, they shall remain in Egypt until their last brother come to Egypt. And he asked one of them to go bring the youngest of them while the rest will be kept in prison to disprove that they are spies. Then he kept them in the prison ward three days and he said because he feared God, they should leave one of them behind, and the remaining nine should go feed their family and bring their last brother. (Genesis 42:11-20)

Then they said one to each other that nemesis of their action to their brother Joseph has started taking effect on them. Then Reuben said, did he not tell them not to sin against the child and they would not hear him. But they did not know that Joseph understood them, because he was speaking by interpreter. Then he left them to cry in secret and he returned and bound Simeon in front of them and Joseph commanded his servant to fill their sac with food and they should give them back their money. While they were returning home, one of them open the sack and found that his money was in the sack and they all check and found all their money returned and they were afraid. When they got to Jacob, they told him all they encountered that the Lord of the land did roughly to them. (Genesis 42:21-30)

And they told Jacob, that Simeon had been kept imprison until Benjamin is brought to the Lord of the land. But Jacob refuse that they have cause him bereavement with the death of Joseph and now Simeon is no more and they want to take Benjamin away too? And Reuben told his father to kill his two sons if he did not bring back Benjamin, but Jacob said his son Benjamin was not going nowhere because if he die on the way, then they would make him go to the grave quickly. (Genesis 42:31-38)

Reflection

Whatever we sow, we will reap. The children of Jacob are reaping what they sow, even though its artificial, because Joseph was deliberating making their lives difficult, yet they knew, that nemesis was at play. God has the best plan and at the right time, he will bring our dreams to pass. The enemies might think they are wining, but no we have the last laugh and we will prevail if we trust God completely and let God revenge for us. "8 He that soweth iniquity shall reap vanity: and the rod of his anger shall fail." (Proverbs 22:8 )

Joseph dream came to pass. My prayer is that our dreams for our destiny will start coming to pass right now in Jesus name. He saw his brother bowing for him and they respected him as lord over them. It was not coincident; it was God's fulfilling destiny. When we hope and trust in God, God will make every pain in our lives to become gain. Joseph was not only in command as the Governor, he was also the man that determines who get fed."4 Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart." (Psalms 37:4)

But one thing is sure, Simeon was bounded, he must have been the one that instigated the killing of Joseph, and Joseph took the opportunity to make him a scapegoat. My prayer is that God will put you in position where you can make your archenemy a scapegoat for others. In all, Joseph was not interested in revenging; he was only playing a script so he could be sure that his brother from the same mother was still alive. "17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;" (Genesis 22:17)

May God give us forgiving spirit.
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 4:02am On Feb 07, 2013
Joseph met Benjamin

Genesis 43

Introduction- In our last lesson we learned about how Joseph brothers bowed for him, he accused his brothers of being spies and detained Simeon until Benjamin is brought to him. In today's lesson we will be learning about how Joseph met Benjamin, Joseph set Simeon free and ate with his brothers.

Today's Study

When the famine continues and Jacob and his children had finished the food they had, Jacob told his children to go again and Judah told his father that the lord in Egypt has warn them not to return to Egypt except they had Benjamin with them. However, if Jacob will let Benjamin to go with them, they will go and Jacob asked why they told the man they had a brother? Then he said, the man asked us of our father and brother and we told him, because they never thought he would ask them to bring their brother. Then he asked the father to put all blame on him if Benjamin did not return with them. He also reminds Jacob they would have probably returned if he had let them take Benjamin with them initially. (Genesis 43:1-10)

Then Jacob decided to let them take Benjamin with them and asked that they go with gifts and take more money including the money that was return should the man in Egypt ask of it. Then he prayed for them. When they got to Egypt they went to Joseph who command that they make arrangement for them to dine together in his house. But his brothers were afraid and told Joseph door keeper about the money that were found in their bags the last time they came. (Genesis 43:11-20)

Then the doorkeeper told them not to be afraid that the God of their father had given then the treasure in their sacks and he brought Simeon out to them. Then made arrangement for their feet to be washed and their Asses taken care off. Then he asked of their father, if he was still alive and he saw Benjamin his mother's son and he asked if he was their brother they talked about? Then Joseph prayed for Benjamin and they bow their heads and make salutation and Joseph left them immediately to cry in a hidden closet. Then Joseph returned to them after he had washed his face and asked that food be served and sat before Benjamin eating and he served Benjamin five times more than the rest. Genesis 43:21-34)

Reflection

There is no doubt things do not just happen. God's plans will definitely take preeminence over our plan, except he is not interested. It will be noted, that Jacob asked that they should take with them some gifts and some fruits. It appears that there is food in the house they had stored before the famine, but for God's purpose and covenant he had for Jacob to be fulfilled he agreed to let them go the second time."8 The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands." (Psalms 138:8 )

When we are in the act of God, God will send favor, mercy, and grace to our direction. It does not matter were we are, how far it is or how impossible it could look, the almighty controls time, space, and place. He will locate us with our destiny once God is ready to fulfill his plan for our lives. Even the doorkeeper knew that their God and the God of their fathers has given them the treasure. Our God has promise us he will give us hidden treasure as long as we continue to serve him as our Lord. "3 And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the Lord, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel."(Isaiah 45:3)

May God help us to fulfill destiny.
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 4:33am On Feb 08, 2013
Joseph accused his brethren of stealing

Genesis 44

Introduction- In our last lesson we learned about how Joseph met Benjamin, Joseph set Simeon free and dine with his brothers. In today's lesson we will be learning about how Joseph accused his brethren of stealing, Judah pleaded for Benjamin and asked to replaced Benjamin as a bound man to Joseph.

Today's Study

After the dinner Joseph ask his servant to fill his brothers sacks with grain as much as they can carry and he instruct that they should return all the money to all of them. Also they should put a cup in the youngest sack and whey they leave, they should run after them and accuse them of stealing his cup. The next morning as Joseph brothers have gone out of the city. His servants overtook his brothers and accused them as Joseph had instructed them to do. But his brethren trembled and said they would not do such thing, knowing that they returned the money that was found in their sacks at their first visit and if they found any one with the cup, the person should die.(Genesis 44:1-10)

Then they took off their sacks and the cup was found in Benjamin’s sack. Then they follow the men back to Joseph trembling and fell to the ground before Joseph and when Joseph saw them, he asked why they did such things and they said, we are as guilty as the person whose sack the cup was found and Joseph said the man that had the cup will be his servant and all should go. But Judah begged Joseph to say a word, considering that Joseph is just like Pharaoh. (Genesis 44:11-20)

Then he narrated how they were able to convince Jacob to release Benjamin to follow them to Egypt. He went further by saying Jacob said if the child did not return then he will die since he is the only child that remains out of two. He also remind Joseph on how truthful they have been from the beginning in that they told Joseph they had an aged father with a little brother that can not live their father if not he will die, but because Joseph said they will not see him, except they bring the boy, they had to device a way to beg their father. (Genesis 44:21-30)

Then Judah reminds him that if the child did not go with them to his father, Jacob will die if we cannot produce him. Also, he was the one that stand as surety for Benjamin, should Benjamin not return, he should be blame forever and he pleaded that Benjamin should be let go and he should be replaced as a bound man of Joseph so that their father would not die. (Genesis 44:31-34)

Reflection

There is nothing like a brother that could stand like a father. It is good to have brothers that are like fathers, who will be willing to put their lives down for their young ones. Little wonder, the descendants of Judah were greater in Israel up till today. Christians let us love our brothers like ourselves. This does not mean biological brothers alone, but your neighbors in Christ. "31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these."(Mark 12:31)

Jesus exemplifies this by dying for our sin. He died that we may all have opportunities. He lay down his life that we may all live and have external life. As Christians we should love one and another and reflect God's love towards us. Judah showed us how a Christian should behave. Despite the fact that Benjamin was from another mother, he loved him, we should also remember he also save Joseph from being killed and became the architectural instrument to Joseph fulfilling destiny by suggesting he should be sold to the Egyptians traders."3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;"(1 Corinthians 15:3)

It was also clear that Judah love his father Jacob to death and would hold on to his promise for his father. He would rather die than seeing his father going to early grave through the death of Benjamin. He was a child every father will be proud of. We will see that Jacob prayed for him in the later chapter of Genesis. The scenario can be compared to us as children of God, when we display selfless desire in serving God and going above and beyond, even loosing our lives doing God's will, God will make with us an everlasting covenant such as the one he made with Judah. "27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself."(Luke 10:27)

My prayer to you is that the Almighty will give us a new heart to love him the more.
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 4:03am On Feb 09, 2013
Joseph reveal himself to his brothers

Genesis 45

Introduction- In our last lesson we learned about how Joseph accused his brethren of stealing, Judah pleaded for Benjamin and asked to replaced Benjamin as a bound man to Joseph. In today's lesson we will be learning about how Joseph reveal himself to his brothers, Pharaoh released the wagon to pick Jacob, Jacob fainted when he heard that Joseph was alive.

Today's Study

After Judah had done talking to Joseph to replace him as the bound man instead of Benjamin; Joseph wept aloud because he was so emotional that he sends all the Egyptians around him out, except his brothers. Them he told them he was Joseph and asked if his father was still alive. His brother could not respond because they were so afraid. The he told them not to be afraid, but see it as God’s plan to send him ahead to save them from dying of famine. Then he told his brothers to quickly go tell his father that he is alive and that God has made him lord of all Egypt. (Genesis 45:1-10)

Joseph asked them to move down to Egypt with all their flock and all that they have with his father to Goshen where they will be for another 5 years of the famine and they should tell his father of all his glory in Egypt and he wept on Benjamin's neck and Benjamin wept upon his neck. The fame of the incident was heard in Pharaoh’s house and he was please with the news and asked Joseph to send his brothers to go get his father and that he will give them the good of the land. He asked them to take wagon from Egypt to go get his father. (Genesis 45:11-20)

Then Joseph gave his brothers wagon and he gave them gifts and sent some gifts to his father. When they got to Canaan, they told their father that Joseph was alive and Jacob fainted, because he did not believe them but when he saw the wagon, his spirit revived and he said its enough I will go and see him before he die. (Genesis 45:21-28)

Reflection

God has a way of surprising us. He will make the impossible possible by restoring our lost glory again. The Almighty could visit us like never before and make those years of pain to turn to gain; year of failure to turn to favor and people will celebrate with us. God's covenant for Jacob is coming to fulfillment even in his lifetime. He must have thought that God has failed him when he heard of Joseph death, knowing that there is something special about Joseph. But God has the best plan. He preserved Joseph from his brother and also kept him as a provider for the days that there will not be food in years to come. "15 Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee." (Isaiah 49:15)

There are many times we asked God why are we going through all these problems, but God has the best plan. Sometimes he will give us a problem that make us busy so that the evil one will not kill us. He will preserve us from unforeseen danger that could prevent the realization of our destiny. When this happen, we should understand that all things work together to perfect God's plan for us. "11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." (Jeremiah 29:11)

My prayer is that the almighty will surprise us and restore our lost glory.
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by channel190(m): 8:42am On Feb 09, 2013
God Bless You For Putting Me Through The Right Path.

Thank You For Not Stopping.

Please I Do Not Want To Say They Are Some Spiritual Attack On Me, But I Want To Tell You My New Stand, Its Christianity Or Nothing
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 6:34pm On Feb 09, 2013
channel 190: God Bless You For Putting Me Through The Right Path.

Thank You For Not Stopping.

Please I Do Not Want To Say They Are Some Spiritual Attack On Me, But I Want To Tell You My New Stand, Its Christianity Or Nothing

Thank God. I am glad i can put you through the godly path. Please continue to pray that God will continue to strengthen us so we don't stop.
We all face challenges, but our dedication and prayer to be able to stand is what is needed. God will help us.
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 3:20am On Feb 10, 2013
Joseph met Jacob

Genesis 46

Introduction- In our last lesson we learned about how Joseph reveal himself to his brothers, Pharaoh released the wagon to pick Jacob, Jacob fainted when he heard that Joseph was alive. In today's lesson we will be learning about how Joseph met Jacob, God appear to Jacob to go to Egypt and Jacob wept at Joseph's neck

Today's Study

Jacob went to Beersheba and offered sacrifice unto God of his fathers and God appeared unto him in a dream and instruct him not to be afraid that he should go to Egypt and he will make him a great nation there. He also promised to go with him and bring him out of Egypt when its time also. Then Jacob children took him and all that they have and went with the wagon Pharaoh release to carry Jacob to Egypt. (Genesis 46:1-10)

When Jacob was leaving Canaan he left with his children and wives, grand children and daughters in-law. The total numbers of Jacob family including his descendants were 66. With Joseph, his wife and his two children Manasseh and Ephraim were 70. Then Jacob sent Judah ahead to Joseph for direction to Goshen and Joseph got into his chariot to meet Jacob his father. When Jacob saw Joseph he wept on his neck and Jacob said he could die now since he had seen Joseph that he was alive. (Genesis 46:11-30)

Then Joseph told his brothers that he will go to inform Pharaoh that his family are now in Goshen in Egypt and that they are live stocks farmers and if Pharaoh asked what is their trade they should tell him the same thing and that he should let them live in Goshen, because shepherd is abomination unto Egyptians. (Genesis 46:31-34)

Reflection

It could be challenging to phantom God's plan, ways and mission for our lives. The way God deals with Abraham is surely different from Joseph and he would make things to happen because he sees the future. Egypt was a place Abraham would not go nor would he advice Isaac to go, but here is Joseph he is married to Egyptian. Sometime God will make us do some abnormal things to prove a point. When Jacob heard that Joseph was alive, he did not just jump at it, despite seeing the wagon, he went to make sacrifice to the God of his father. "9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."(Isaiah 55: 9)

Children of God should always be grateful and show appreciation with their offering. Its only God that turns the evils plan against Joseph to perfect plan of God for Joseph. As Christians we must understand that God can use our mistakes to perfect our destiny. He can make a bad decision to affect the best mission. Joseph must be very happy to see his brothers and his father. My prayer for you is that God will restore your happiness and those things you have lost you will recover."2 Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms."(Psalm 95:2)

May the Almighty turn our mistakes to master plan.
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 3:44am On Feb 11, 2013
Israel asked not to be buried in Egypt

Genesis 47

Introduction- In our last lesson we learned about how Joseph met Jacob, God appear to Jacob to go to Egypt and Jacob wept at Joseph's neck. In today's lesson we will be learning about how Israel asked not to be buried in Egypt, Israel met with Pharaoh and Joseph brethren were settled at the best of Egyptians land.

Today's Study

After Joseph had seen his father and brethren at Goshen; he brought them to Pharaoh and told Pharaoh that they have come with all they had from the land of Canaan. So Pharaoh asked his brother what their occupation was and they said they were Shepherd and would prefer if they could settle at Goshen so that their cattle can have the pasture of the land. Then Pharaoh told Joseph to give them the best of the land and if there is any among them that is a good worker, he should make him ruler over his cattle. Then Joseph brought Jacob to Pharaoh also and asked how old he was and Jacob told him he was 130 years and its full of evil and Jacob blessed Pharaoh. (Genesis 47:1-10)

And Joseph made his brethren and father to settled in the best of the land of Rameses. While Joseph works as Governor, he accounted for all the money for the food sold and when there was no more money to buy food, the Egyptians came to Joseph and asked him for food and they had no money to pay for it, because all the money in Egypt had been use to buy food and Joseph asked them to bring their cattle and when they had no cattle anymore, they also bought with their lands and all the money, cattle and lands became Pharaoh’s properties. (Genesis 47:11-20)

All but the priest land were not sold to Pharaoh and the priest had their portion of food. After the famine, Joseph gave the people of Egypt food seeds to plants on the land and at the harvest they shall bring 50% to Pharaoh and they shall take 40% to feed themselves and their family and also plant out of it and they were so pleased with. The entire land except the land of priests was Pharaoh. Then Jacob(Israel) live 17 years in Egypt and then call Joseph and instruct him not to bury him in Egypt but where his fathers were buried then he bow his head on the bed and he died at 147 years (Genesis 47:21-31)

Reflection

Many times the anointed, the special child and the covenant child experience more heartache than an ordinary child. There could not be any blessing without a form of blast. Before Jacob was born, he had been chosen by God to carry on with the covenant that God had with Abraham. Yet with all that, he saw more pains that it would be easy for him to question whether the blessing that God promise was going to come to pass. Today we might be in similar situation. Perhaps wondering if God really promise us, if he really answers prayer, if he really exists. God would not give you assignment he does not think you can handle. "21 Forsake me not, O Lord: O my God, be not far from me" (Psalm 38:21)

When Jacob met Pharaoh, one thing he made clear was that he was just 130 years, but he had seen lots of evil despite his young age than his fur-fathers. Pharaoh must have wonder why Jocob was so old. Sometime the vicissitude of life can make us old than our real age, but it does not matter, what matters to us and to Jacob was that he is seeing God fulfilling his promise in his life time. "4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." (Psalm 23:4)

My prayer is that the almighty will bring to pass all that he has promised us. Our age will not be a barrier to his blessing in Jesus Name
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 2:37am On Feb 12, 2013
Israel blessed Joseph and his sons

Genesis 48

Introduction- In our last lesson we learned about how Israel asked not to be buried in Egypt, Israel met with Pharaoh and Joseph brethren were settled at the best of Egyptians land. In today's lesson we will be learning about how Israel blessed Joseph and his sons; Israel pronounce blessing over Ephraim and said he will be greater than his older brother Manasseh.

Today's Study

Before Joseph died, Joseph heard that Jacob was sick, then he took his two children Manasseh and Ephraim and when Jacob heard that Joseph had come he strengthen himself and sat on the bed. Then Jacob reminds Joseph God's promise and his blessing for him that he would multiply him. Jacob reminds Joseph where his mother was buried and said his two sons are his, but other children that joseph will have after them are Joseph. Then Jacob asked who were with Joseph and he said they were his sons. (Genesis 48:1-10)

Then Joseph said he had not thought of seeing his father again, but he has not only seen him but Jacob has seen his children also and he brought his sons to Israel and made the oldest son Manasseh to be toward Israel right hand and Ephraim to his left and Israel blessed Joseph. Then when Joseph saw that his father laid his right hand upon Ephraim, it displeased him and he made attempt to take off his father's right hand to put it on Manasseh's head, because he was the first born, and told his father that Manasseh is the first child and Israel said he knew and refused but said Ephraim the second child shall be greater than Manasseh, he shall become a great people and his seed shall be multitude. Then Israel told Joseph that when he die the lord shall take them out of Egypt. Then he gave a portion of the land to him, which he took from the Amorites with his sword and he died. (Genesis 48:11-22)

Reflection

It is good to pray all the time. Prayer answers all things. One thing is consistent in the life of Abraham descendants. They pray for their offspring. Isaac prayed for his children and now Israel is praying for Joseph. There is power in prayer. The blessing of Israel is needed for God's covenant fulfillment. "24 And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear." (Isaiah 65:24)

When God promise us, he still wants us to pray. Our prayer oils the vehicle of God’s blessing for our lives. The bible always wants us to pray and not just pray alone, but bless our children. We should pronounce blessing on our children if we want peace in our lives and when we are gone. Israel did not only pray for Joseph, he prayed also for Ephraim his grand child. It’s a rear opportunity for him and he made use of it. "3 My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up."(Psalm 5:3)

May God give us the spirit that prays for our children.
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 4:33am On Feb 13, 2013
Israel blessed and told his sons what they should expect

Genesis 49

Introduction- In our last lesson we learned about how Israel blessed Joseph and his sons; Israel pronounce blessing over Ephraim and said he will be greater than his brother Manasseh. In today's lesson we will be learning about how Israel blessed his sons before he died and told them what will befall them in the future.

Today's Study

When Israel (Jacob) was about to die; he called all his children to tell them what will happen in the future and also to bless them. Then he started with Reuben since he was the first child and cursed him that he would not excel because Reuben slept with his concubine and defile his father's bed. Then he went further and said Simeon and Levi are brothers and they are very cruel and he cursed them because they were cruel and that they will be divided and scattered. But for Judah he will be a child whom his brethren shall praise and he prayed for Judah that he shall be like a lion and he shall be in the neck of his enemies and that the scepter shall not depart from him nor a law giver between his feet and the people shall gather to him.(Genesis 49: 1-10)

Then he continue and prayed for Zebulum, but Issachar he said will become a servant to tribute and Dan shall judge his people as a tribe in Israel and said troop will overcome Gad, but he will overcame at last and Asher shall be fat with bread and yield royal respect and Natali he also pray for. He went further and prayed for Joseph that he will be a fruitful bough and his bow will be of strength and he shall be a shepherd of he stone of Israel. (Genesis 49: 11-25)

And he continue blessing Joseph and then prayed also Benjamin that it shall be like raven as a wolf in that in the morning he shall decor the prey and at night he shall divide the spoil and he blessed everyone according to his blessing and asked to be buried in Epron the Hittite field where Isaac and his forefathers were buried. When he had finished talking he gather his feet into the bed and died.(Genesis 49: 26-33)

Reflection

In our text Genesis 49 we saw how Judah became the special tribe in Israel through the prayer of Jacob. As children of God, we should make sure we do not offend our parents nor make them angry at anytime. We should consider their needs and have them in mind all the time. We do not necessary need to give them a million dollars, but little help here and there, for instant, helping them to fetch water, cooking or buying food for them, watching their cloths, showing some empathy and sympathy will make them pray for us. “Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.2 Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth."(Ephesians 6:1-3)

Judah must have won his father's heart because Jacob saw his effort in what he did to make him see Joseph again, he was a loyal child that has the love of his father at heart and he was much into making his father happy and live long. These are what we should be doing as Christians. When the time came, Jacob remembered what Reuben did in that he slept with his concubine and remember Simeon and Levi in that they were wicked and kill at will, especially when we remember how they kill the city men who raped their sister Dinah. Let us make sure we put smile on our parents face."17 The highway of the upright is to depart from evil: he that keepeth his way preserveth his soul." (Proverbs 16:17)

May the almighty help us to be a blessing to our parents.
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 3:19am On Feb 14, 2013
Israel was buried and Joseph died

Genesis 50

Introduction- In our last lesson we learned about how Israel blessed his sons before he died and told them what would befall them in the future. In today's lesson we will be learning about how Israel was buried, Joseph died and asked his people to take his bone out of Egypt when the time come that God will take them out of Egypt to where he had promised their forefathers.

Today's Study

When Israel (Jacob) died, after he had finish talking, Joseph fell on his face and wept and called all his servants the physicians to embalm his father and the physician embalmed Israel and after 40 days, the Egyptians mourned him for 70 days and Joseph spoke to Pharaoh to let him bury his father where he had instructed him and pharaoh let him go buried his father. Then Joseph went with elders of Egypt and his brothers to bury his father, except the small children and their flock they left in Goshen. When they got to Atad after Jordan they mourned greatly for another seven days for Israel. (Genesis 50:1-10)

When the people of Canaanites saw their mourning at the floor of Atad they said this must be a grievous morning to the Egyptians and they called the place Abelmizraim and after they had buried Israel, Joseph returned with all that went with him to Egypt. When his brothers saw that their father was dead, they were afraid of Joseph that now he will revenge since their father was no more. Then they sent messenger to Joseph that before their father died, he instructed them to tell Joseph to forgive them and Joseph wept when they told him and his brothers went to him and fell down before him and Joseph encouraged them not to be afraid and that he is not God. Although they had plan evil against him, God turn it to good for a day like this so people would not die. (Genesis 50:11-20)

And Joseph made sure they are comforted and fed them and he lived with his brother in Egypt and died at 110 and he saw his great grand children and told them before he died that God will visit them and he will take them to the land which he promised Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and he made his people take an oat that when they are leaving Egypt, they should carry his bone out of Egypt and he died.(Genesis 50:21-26)

Reflection

There is no doubt Joseph love his father, he would go above and beyond to make his father happy. His father also showed him love, not only before he was sold but after then also. Jacob showed his love for Joseph through the special blessing he made for Joseph's children, he also, prayed special prayer for Joseph too. As Christian parents, let us endeavor to love our children and make special prayers and blessings for them so they can prosper. "6 Children's children are the crown of old men; and the glory of children are their fathers."(Proverbs 17:6)

The evil that men dos live after them they say, but not in Joseph's brother’s case. The evil live with them and they worried at every moment they saw that it might hunt them. But Joseph was not into vengeance. He saw a bigger picture in the evil that befell him through his brothers and would do everything to even make them comfortable. As children of God, when bad things happen or someone causes us grief, let us take time to look at the bigger picture with our spiritual insight so we can see God's plan in it. "27 An ungodly man diggeth up evil: and in his lips there is as a burning fire.28 A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends."(Proverbs 16:27, 28)

May God give us the fortitude and all that it takes to be forgivers.
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 2:05pm On Feb 14, 2013
Thank you All for your support, contribution and encouragement. Today mark the last chapter of the first book of Moses- The book of Genesis.
Its a long book with 50 chapters and i believe even-though we had time to read it everyday, we might still need sometime to digest or have it reflected in our lives.

With so much thought, i think it will be proper to have at least a week break, so that we can go back to read those chapters we had trouble understanding or areas where we forgot to read during the course of the lessons.
The week break will afford you and i to think of possible questions, analyze some reflections and deliberate on those chapters to see how they shine into our today's world

I also want to believe that this thread has been inspirational to many and i hope it will continue to be. The word of God should not be treated like our daily newspaper digest, but should be studied, deliberated upon and reflects also upon. We also understand that in our academic institutions there are times for recesses, breaks and vacations. These are needed because too much of study with no play, they say make Jack a dull boy. We do not want to be dull, but smart. I hope we enjoy our week off.

See you in a week's time. However, if you have questions, comments or contributions, i will really appreciate that. I will be here to answer questions, welcome comments and contributions.

Thank You and God bless you richly.

2 Likes

Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by ecolime(m): 3:04pm On Feb 14, 2013
This is a nice idea. Expecting you back soonest.
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by channel190(m): 6:48am On Feb 16, 2013
oh! What a darling, passes for a leadership tactics.
You got the quality dear.

Like you have said it all, Genesis is a 50 chapter essay which is the root to understanding subsequent chapters.

Thank you very much for this work well done, though my silence maybe affecting but its a prove to admittance, the text of genesis is an undisputed facts in compendium with interwoven realities, the undisputed biblical creation theory; teachings and expression of the effect of Gods dictates and judgment;
perfection of his design and choice to individual destiny;
the role,importance, blessing or other wise of parental respect;
the place of a prayerful individual;
and finally the glory of God himself.

I want to use this medium to thank you so much for the strength and continuity, God bless you.

Discussion!

1.With citations, Where on earth and how came about the saying that God and Satan once lived in heaven?

2. Sorry in generality, the last book of the bible: is it an authority on the preference of the future by God from a writer?
Did the last chapter also consider what 'was' before revealing the would be?

3. Rationalize The injunctions that human should never question issues of the spirit, it is no less than a command that every gritty of the text be absorbed without a test of reasonabilty is abysmal in lieu to the effect of the forbidden fruit.

Good morning!!!
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 5:08am On Feb 17, 2013
channel 190: oh! What a darling, passes for a leadership tactics.
You got the quality dear.

Like you have said it all, Genesis is a 50 chapter essay which is the root to understanding subsequent chapters.

Thank you very much for this work well done, though my silence maybe affecting but its a prove to admittance, the text of genesis is an undisputed facts in compendium with interwoven realities, the undisputed biblical creation theory; teachings and expression of the effect of Gods dictates and judgment;
perfection of his design and choice to individual destiny;
the role,importance, blessing or other wise of parental respect;
the place of a prayerful individual;
and finally the glory of God himself.

I want to use this medium to thank you so much for the strength and continuity, God bless you.

Thank you so much May God continue to bless everyone of us

channel 190:

Discussion!

1.With citations, Where on earth and how came about the saying that God and Satan once lived in heaven?

Revelation 12:7-9
7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Isaiah 14:12-17

12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.
16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms;
17 That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?

Ezekiel 28:12-19

12 Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.
13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
16 By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.
17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.
18 Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.
19 All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more.

channel 190:

2. Sorry in generality, the last book of the bible: is it an authority on the preference of the future by God from a writer?
Did the last chapter also consider what 'was' before revealing the would be?

Ans: (a) Yes it is an authority for the past, present and the future inspired by God.

(b) Yes it does. The last chapter reflects on the past, present and the future.

Revelation 22:15
reflects on the past because it acknowledged that there are current and past problems of sorcerers and murdered and idolaters inclusive

15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Revelation 22:4-6 talks about the future

4 And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.
5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.
6 And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.

channel 190:
3. Rationalize The injunctions that human should never question issues of the spirit, it is no less than a command that every gritty of the text be absorbed without a test of reasonabilty is abysmal in lieu to the effect of the forbidden fruit.

Good morning!!!

The bible made us to understand that he is the potter and we are the clay. A clay does not question the authority of its potter, it subject itself to the molding, structuring, shaping and design of its potter. The potter has the power, either with force or soft to mange change on its clay. “Isaiah 64:8- 8 But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand.”

Every word of God could be questioned, but questioning to get interpretation is welcome, but not to misinterprets or questions the authority of God. While it is known that we hardly question what we are very sure of, except those things we do not totally believe in. The bible as its known to be God inspiration should be believed in totality without doubt.

For instance: If you are in trouble or you have been told that an herbalist is a strong spiritualist and you had patronized him once or twice or know someone who has, if you go seek a solution at his place and he ask you not to wear your shoe for 7 days and you will see solution. There is no doubt that if you are really pressed with your problem, you will listen to him and not doubt him.

You will believe him because you have heard about it
You will believe him because you have people who talk about how powerful he is
You will also believe him because of the nature of your problem.

So if you can believe in an herbalist why not believe in God inspired written word. That is why Jesus says thou shall love the lord thy God with all thy heart. If you love God, there is no reason to question his authority or word, just like the way you would hardly question your parents judgment when you are 5 years old.

Also lets look at Jeremiah 18:1-8 1.The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying,
2 Arise, and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause thee to hear my words.
3 Then I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he wrought a work on the wheels.
4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it.
5 Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying,
6 O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the Lord. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel.
7 At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy it;
8 If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by channel190(m): 5:31am On Feb 17, 2013
grin 99/100.

If literary devil is a great dragon, what will God be? Lol...

Am just been stupid.
how is life out side nairaland?
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by obalola7: 5:34am On Feb 17, 2013
channel 190: grin 99/100.

If literary devil is a great dragon, what will God be? Lol...

Am just been stupid.
how is life out side nairaland?

We thank God... Trusting God for strength in the midst of weakness. How about you and how are you doing?
Re: Bible Study: A New Look into the Word of God by channel190(m): 5:35am On Feb 17, 2013
Say, :what:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Prophetic Warfare Prayers For Destroying Witchcraft Spiritual Feedings / Please Help!! How Do I Genuinely Give My Life To Christ? / ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 234
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.