Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,213 members, 7,811,585 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:06 PM

How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? (10586 Views)

Man Needs Advice After Falling In Love With A Prostitute (Snapshot) / 7 Ways To Stop Yourself From Falling In Love / Six(6) Powerful Ways To Prevent Your Breast From Falling/sagging (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by djeezy(m): 5:02pm On Dec 28, 2012
I formerly created a thread asking if anyone has ever been single for more than a year and the comments proved that most people have been single all their lives. This got me perplexed and incredulous wondering if they have a heart made of stone or something. Whether it's a conscious deliberate attempt or principles that I do not know.
Falling in love is natural and sometimes we cannot control how it happens and it's indeed a wonderful feeling, however there are some people who restrain themselves from falling in love due to personal conviction or religion, hence making them remain single. So my question is how do you stop yourself from falling in love? Does the belief "that true love doesn't exist" restrain you? Mature responses pls.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by usermane(m): 5:36pm On Dec 28, 2012
Well while not in support of a felon restraining himself from falling in love i 'll give an answer. The question is, are u ready to do whatever it takes to deny yourself what fuels ur heart. Do u deem the sacrifice you r about to make worthy and affordable?
Alright in case you answer in affirmative, then "STAY COMPLETELY AWAY FROM THE OPPOSITE GENDER". Neither cast your sight nor speak to them.
Ain't the best advice i 've evr given @op, it 's just not.
Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by tpia5: 5:50pm On Dec 28, 2012
I formerly created a thread asking if anyone has ever been single for more than a year and the comments proved that most people have been single all their lives.

which thread was that.

funny comment, btw

This got me perplexed and incredulous wondering if they have a heart made of stone or something. Whether it's a conscious deliberate attempt or principles that I do not know.

perhaps!

dont quite get your point though.
Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Dec 28, 2012
I think some people remain single for a long time not because they restraining themselves from falling in love but other circumstances. Sometimes people get their heart broken and are afraid to open up to someone again which prevent this from occurring. In some cases, like you said "sometimes you cant help who you fall in love with" perhaps, one can not help if the people they date, they do not fall in love with. So in some cases maybe these people just may not have met that special someone. In many cases from a woman's perspective alot of the times we have these standards of what we look for in a partner or this ideal of what that special someone should be like and when we come across of date people of the opposite sex if they don't fit into that ideal image or have the potential to meet ours standard. We automatically write them off never giving ourselves the chance to fall in love. Now I do agree that some people just never have been loved and don't know how to love, so they never fall in love. Another point, is that for some people being in a relationship has nothing to do with falling in love with someone; For example, some just have fear of commitment, so they remain single. People can fall in love with someone that does not fit into their culture, religion, social status, etc.., so they don't openly enter into a relationship with someone.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Dec 28, 2012
Whenever I think about how much it will cost me to date Naija girl financially, I quickly restrain myself frm falling in love

16 Likes

Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by Saintsquare(m): 8:06pm On Dec 28, 2012
Some restrain cause of financial status and others mite be past experience.
Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by usermane(m): 8:13pm On Dec 28, 2012
tpacalipse: Whenever I think about how much it will cost me to date Naija girl financially, I quickly restrain myself frm falling in love
:-)
It shouldn't have to be that way. All girls are not the same
Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by BodyKiss(m): 8:28pm On Dec 28, 2012
One proven method that has worked for me is not idealize the person. The human brain can't differentiate between reality and imagination, when you idealize about somebody, for example, by always sharing good moments with them together, or even getting married to them in your imagination, you will get fond of them, hence falling in love. The human brain can't tell apart reality and imagination.

7 Likes

Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by DExplorer1: 8:31pm On Dec 28, 2012
cshall1120: I think some people remain single for a long time not because they restraining themselves from falling in love but other circumstances. Sometimes people get their heart broken and are afraid to open up to someone again which prevent this from occurring. In some cases, like you said "sometimes you cant help who you fall in love with" perhaps, one can not help if the people they date, they do not fall in love with. So in some cases maybe these people just may not have met that special someone. In many cases from a woman's perspective alot of the times we have these standards of what we look for in a partner or this ideal of what that special someone should be like and when we come across of date people of the opposite sex if they don't fit into that ideal image or have the potential to meet ours standard. We automatically write them off never giving ourselves the chance to fall in love. Now I do agree that some people just never have been loved and don't know how to love, so they never fall in love. Another point, is that for some people being in a relationship has nothing to do with falling in love with someone; For example, some just have fear of commitment, so they remain single. People can fall in love with someone that does not fit into their culture, religion, social status, etc.., so they don't openly enter into a relationship with someone.
I endorse this post smiley
Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Dec 28, 2012
people don't go about saying I won't fall in love again, hold me hold me blah blah. they say that cos they haven't seen who they'll fall in love with or they spend more time falling in love with the wrong person

I'm the kind of guy that loves single life like hell though its kinda complicated but its still single. I just don't want the whole couple shenanigan thing, the razzmatazz of fighting and making up, the part where you neglect every other girl out there thinking you've met the one and finally the after effect of a breakup

but I can say this, when I meet that girl one day and fall in love, heaven will fall and I won't keep myself from her. all those childish beliefs I have will come to pass and I just wish I get to fall in love and marry once in my life

1 Like

Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by djeezy(m): 9:24pm On Dec 28, 2012
[quote author=tpia@]

which thread was that.

The link to the previous thread, https://www.nairaland.com/1138197/been-single-over-year
Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by djeezy(m): 9:27pm On Dec 28, 2012
Saintsquare: Some restrain cause of financial status and others mite be past experience.
i wonder how hard it must have been for them, restraining themselves from what they truly want. Everybody wants to love and be loved.
Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by superbloke(m): 10:51pm On Dec 28, 2012
Different reasons for different people. Some are afraid of commitment, others are committed to some other cause which they feel may be hindered by the demands of a relationship. Some don't just find love, others fall in love but realize it won't work because they choose to follow their heads rather than their hearts. Most times, they just don't see it as a necessity. These reasons themselves are the what keep single without feeling empty or left out.

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by jude33084(m): 11:38pm On Dec 28, 2012
Simply blind your eyes cool
Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by Nobody: 11:42pm On Dec 28, 2012
Think of the deepest of despair/anguish/blackest of hate.undecided

Feel or rather act like a stone tongue
Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by PrinceNN(m): 11:44pm On Dec 28, 2012
simple...just have fun with them and move on undecided
Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by ifihearam: 11:46pm On Dec 28, 2012
Just passingg by sha

But I think some people are naturally lonely not necessarily restraining.
Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by lafuria1(m): 11:57pm On Dec 28, 2012
like some one said, the moment u stick to some qualities u want your patner to have, physical and moral qualities, not falling in love becomes easy...
for example, see a lady and oh she is beautiful, this and that but very insultive, thats d end i move on. not looking for 100% perfect tough.
Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by AZeD1(m): 11:57pm On Dec 28, 2012
When you know what you want and you don't settle for less, then you don't fall in love anyhow.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by huninaija(f): 12:08am On Dec 29, 2012
First of all lets get one thing clear.. Love is not an emotion or feeling, its an action! What you normally feel for your Gf/Bf are lustful desires which tend to be misinterpreted as love...

Iv never fully understood this statement; "fall'" in love? Is it even remotely possible?? What about climbing in love nko? That's the problem with the world today so many people left confused and hurt because the person they thought they "loved" treats them like a piece of sheet... People have their different reasons as to why they are single, until we can learn to separate the word love from our emotions, then people will continue to get heart broken/remain single in fear of the unknown...

Love never dies, feelings and emotions do... The word love don suffer sha... Someone please define love? undecided not all these washing definitions or versions of love..

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by daryoor(m): 12:10am On Dec 29, 2012
heart vs brain tinz
u grow to let yr brain lead u. Cause at the end of d day, the brain is more reliable dan the heart.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by MOBBDEEP: 12:14am On Dec 29, 2012
@ OP,
E plenty die !!!

* Wearing an uninteresting/bland countenance
* Avoiding to make eye-contacts
* In case you make eye-contacts, promptly evading your gaze & just go your way "jeje"-ly
* Refuse to give attention
* Dresscode resembling that of majority of those our brothers & sisters attending DLBC ( Pls, my brethren in the Lord, no offence was intended & don't be irked )
* Sounding boring & monotonous/shallow verbal responses
* Live as if you are a diehard struggler i.e don't let no-one know how much dough you own!

NB
You may do all these & yet some fellas will still 'gel' for you. You should know by then that such people are either :
* Looking desperately for something you have ;
* Are in some crazy / twisted/ obsessional love (you had better started praying)
* Trying to sell bad market e.g securing a paternity for an unplanned mistaken pregnancy, over-marriageable age etc
OR, Lastly
* They have seen through you & they really love your person, personality & you fit their 'odd' love-map!!!

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by Les: 12:15am On Dec 29, 2012
cshall1120: I think some people remain single for a long time not because they restraining themselves from falling in love but other circumstances. Sometimes people get their heart broken and are afraid to open up to someone again which prevent this from occurring. In some cases, like you said "sometimes you cant help who you fall in love with" perhaps, one can not help if the people they date, they do not fall in love with. So in some cases maybe these people just may not have met that special someone. In many cases from a woman's perspective alot of the times we have these standards of what we look for in a partner or this ideal of what that special someone should be like and when we come across of date people of the opposite sex if they don't fit into that ideal image or have the potential to meet ours standard. We automatically write them off never giving ourselves the chance to fall in love. Now I do agree that some people just never have been loved and don't know how to love, so they never fall in love. Another point, is that for some people being in a relationship has nothing to do with falling in love with someone; For example, some just have fear of commitment, so they remain single. People can fall in love with someone that does not fit into their culture, religion, social status, etc.., so they don't openly enter into a relationship with someone.
Ogologo akúkø!! Mr o.p, love doesn't exist, actually i tot it was till i discovered dat i dont truly love d sharp babe am dating now, ol am after is her virginity, once she gives it to me, Off i go!!! Potential predator= potential prey
Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by Les: 12:18am On Dec 29, 2012
BodyKiss: One proven method that has worked for me is not idealize the person. The human brain can't differentiate between reality and imagination, when you idealize about somebody, for example, by always sharing good moments with them together, or even getting married to them in your imagination, you will get fond of them, hence falling in love. The human brain can't tell apart reality and imagination.
The way ppl tak de generate theory for nairaland d fear me o.
Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by Teejayphillip(m): 12:21am On Dec 29, 2012
RESTRAIN LOVE? I waz almost abt 2 loose my faith,i was stil dreaming bur felt it was too late,Bur wen my WIFE came along 2 my surprise,she made my dead @ com alive,cos she simply took me out of the blue....

Love is a strong tin,its sumtin u cant run frm.. When the rightfull person coms around,u nid no prophet or Alfa 2 preach 2 u...

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by tpia5: 12:22am On Dec 29, 2012
djeezy: i wonder how hard it must have been for them, restraining themselves from what they truly want. Everybody wants to love and be loved.

Love isnt only infatuation.

Read 1 cor 13.
Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by Nobody: 12:49am On Dec 29, 2012
By restraining myself,and busy doing that occupies my mind.and applying the "no contact clause"on the opposite sex.
Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by cr8v(f): 12:50am On Dec 29, 2012
By falling in love with something else while keeping an open mind. You may fall in love with your books, movies, the Bible etc until the right person comes
Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by AZeD1(m): 1:03am On Dec 29, 2012
cr8v: By falling in love with something else while keeping an open mind. You may fall in love with your books, movies, the Bible etc until the right person A-ZeD comes
Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by WackyJ1(m): 1:48am On Dec 29, 2012
What is everyone talking about?
It is very easy not to fall in love when you want to remain single even when you have female friends. don't call any one except that you want to find out important information and don't spend too much time with the friend than is necessary and don't spend time thinking about the person and importantly don't let the girl show you too much love.

The real Challenge i believe is not falling in love even when one has a girlfriend and i believe that one does not need to love his girlfriend, only like here enough to not want to loose her enytime soon (it' not love yet) finish, every other extra baggage attached with love is removed. the key to this is
BodyKiss: One proven method that has worked for me is not idealize the person. The human brain can't differentiate between reality and imagination, when you idealize about somebody, for example, by always sharing good moments with them together, or even getting married to them in your imagination, you will get fond of them, hence falling in love. The human brain can't tell apart reality and imagination.
1. Don't dwell on the good times together too much
2. Try to always tell yourself that this relationship might soon end and there's no guarantee that it might go far
3. tell yourself of the possibility of the girl cheating on you (forget the level you have enetered her brain to, this possibility is always there)
4 remember how bad heartbreak will feel
5. remember you don't need to love her to make her happy only care, understand and tolerate

But all in all if the girl continues to prove herself to be consistent and showers you with love then brethren it is only a matter of time before love catches up with you.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Restrain Yourself From Falling In Love? by Nobody: 2:07am On Dec 29, 2012
Some of those people HAVE been in love recently but the relationship was short lived and they dont want to count it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Intresting Tweets From A Nigerian Lady On Responsibility / Party Get's Naughty Girls Dance N*ked / Is This Her Vagina Or Ass (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.