Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,920 members, 7,835,071 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? (19336 Views)

Rivers University Expels Student For Having Speech And Hearing Challenges / Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students / New Varsity, Federal University, Lokoja, Admits 200 Students, Takes Off In Janua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by andyzoga: 11:18am On Dec 29, 2012
You can bend rules when extremely needed in a community that frowns at corrupt practices, but you dont break d rules. Once a standard is put in place, everyone should live by it. 9ja politicians must have started this way thinking they can break rules at anytime, eating their cake and yet having it. My point is students who know they cant cope with the CU standards have options of other universities.
Rolling.:

If God's convenant to humans can be broken,what is covenant university's
rule that cant be borken ? that punishment is harsh and the NUC should
wade into the matter asap.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by andyzoga: 11:21am On Dec 29, 2012
Guy, try to always read carefully. It's written here dat Oyedepo is d Chancellor
skoolblooger:
Ode, I tot 1 time they said d uni doesn't belong to oyedepo,hw come he is d 1 making such baseless decision to expel students becos they didn't attend church.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 11:43am On Dec 29, 2012
petty and stupid school.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 11:52am On Dec 29, 2012
Frankiss44:

I feel this sorta happiness from within when I come across comments like yours... I realize that out of 100 foolish nigerians, there is a wise one... There is light at the end of the tunnel for Nigeria.. God bless you bro.
smiley smiley smiley
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 11:52am On Dec 29, 2012
how will someone who preaches forgiveness and God's love make such nasty decision.
i hope the students are refunded sha?

and i still believe the minister should look at the practices of these so called christian schools and regulate them
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Dmantle: 12:02pm On Dec 29, 2012
private rules have tough rule...if you cannot follow their rules their many public schools waiting for you.

4 Likes

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by uzoexcel(m): 12:06pm On Dec 29, 2012
How to make Egusi Soup

Ingredients

Egusi (Melon) seeds - 3 cigar cups | 600g
Red Palm Oil – 2 cooking spoons
Beef – Best cut and Shaki (cow tripe)
Fish – Dry Fish and Stock Fish
Crayfish
Pepper and Salt to taste
Vegetable – Pumpkin leaves or Bitter leaf
Seasoning – 3 Maggi or Knorr cubes
Traditional Seasoning – 1 Okpei (optional)
Tools I used

Cooker: Buy it in USA | in UK
Deep Pot: Buy it in USA | in UK
Spice grinder for grinding egusi (melon) seeds: Buy it in USA | in UK
Spatula: Buy it in USA | in UK
Chopping board: Buy it in USA | in UK
Knives: Buy it in USA | in UK
Before you cook Egusi Soup

Before preparing the soup, soak the dry fish for about half an hour. Boil the stockfish for 20 minutes and leave in the pot with the hot water to soak for about an hour.
Much closer to your cooking time, grind the Egusi with a dry mill. Grind the crayfish and the dry pepper separately and set aside. Wash the vegetable to be used. Cut into tiny pieces.
Boil the shaki, stock fish and dry fish in 1 litre of water till they are well done. First sign of a done shaki is that the cuts will start curling on itself.
Wash the beef to be used for the soup and place in a pot and start steaming at medium heat. There is no need to add water at this stage. When the meat is done, add 3 cubes of Maggi/Knorr. This method makes the meat cook faster while retaining all the taste. Also meat contains lots of water and you will notice that the water content increases as the meat starts to boil.
Cooking Directions

There are two main methods of cooking egusi soup. These we will call oil before egusi and egusi before oil. Confusing? Not.
Oil Before Egusi

Put 2 cooking spoons of red palm oil into a dry pot and set on the stove to heat. As soon as the oil is clearer, add the ground egusi and start frying. This should be done at low heat to avoid burning. Keep frying till you see the egusi getting drier. One sign of this is that it will start sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Now, start adding the shaki/fish stock little by little while still turning the egusi. When the stock is exhausted and you feel that the soup is still too thick, you can add more water. If your choice of vegetable is bitterleaf, it should be added now as well.
Cover the pot and cook for 30 to 45 minutes. The egusi is done when you notice that the oil has risen to the surface of the mix and separated from the mix. If this is the case, add the fish, shaki and meat. Also add pepper and salt to taste. If pumpkin leaves (or any other soft vegetable) is your choice, please add it now.
Cover the pot and leave everything to steam together for 5 minutes.
The egusi soup is ready to be served with amala, Eba (garri), pounded yam or cassava fufu.
Egusi Before Oil

This method produces a healthier egusi soup. This is because there is no frying involved.
In this method, as soon as the shaki, fish and meat are done, remove them from the stock and place in a different pot or plate.
Add the ground egusi to the stock and cook for 40 minutes. You will notice the clear egusi oil coming to the surface of the soup.
Add 2 cooking spoons of red palm oil, the meat, fish, bitter leaves (if it is your choice of vegetable) pepper and salt to taste and cook for another 10 minutes. Now, add the pumpkin leaves if is your choice of vegetables, stir the soup and turn off the heat.
The egusi soup is ready to be served with amala, Eba (garri), pounded yam or cassava fufu.

Enjoy. . . .
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Ezegozie(m): 12:14pm On Dec 29, 2012
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Symphony007: 12:17pm On Dec 29, 2012
Hope the federal ministry of education realise the extremist universities they are granting certiicates to operate?
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Originalsly: 12:20pm On Dec 29, 2012
Were the students forced to enrol in tbe university? Did they not read and understand the requirements? They signed the contract ....then broke it. Who's fault? Didn't they they think of their future?... and the fees their parents invested in them? Knuckleheads.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by pwiz(m): 12:22pm On Dec 29, 2012
SamConquer: ..everybody clap 4 the 'MuMU of the milenium'...kpa.kpa.kpa...GOAT LIKE U..SO NAIRALAND IS UR FAMILY INHERITANCE??CUM BAN ME Na..OLUWASEUN NA MY BOY
Same to ur Pman. My last reply to you on this forum. Attention seeker
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Ezegozie(m): 12:24pm On Dec 29, 2012
SamConquer: ..everybody clap 4 the 'MuMU of the milenium'...kpa.kpa.kpa...GOAT LIKE U..SO NAIRALAND IS UR FAMILY INHERITANCE??CUM BAN ME Na..OLUWASEUN NA MY BOY

this boy saying that oluwaseun is his boy registered on 04-12-2012.

You never even enter finish come dey display your immaturity in public.

Such people like you cause nothing but disorder on Nairaland.

The great Igbo proverb says and i quoate
"BIRD WEY NEVA PERCH FOR TREE COME DEY SHITT ANYHOW, WETIN THE BIRD GO DO WHEN IT PERCHES FOR TREE"?
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Mbuko91(m): 12:31pm On Dec 29, 2012
I respect the man of God,pst oyedepo...the school has its standards and principles but even we go against God's rules many atimes, yet he forgives us...I may №τ̲̅ know the whole gist but 200 people is way off the line to expel...A̶̲̥̅̊ more subtle punishment like suspension would have been better.just for this first time. But those smokers should be expelled.I wish he would reconsider and reduce the punishment or forgive them totally...

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by claremont(m): 12:38pm On Dec 29, 2012
Since the students supposedly signed up to a charter which explicitly defines what they are/are not to do at school, then they only have themselves to blame. If they don't like it, they should go enrol in another school.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by DonPedro21(m): 12:39pm On Dec 29, 2012
SamConquer: U GUYS ARE JOBLESS...@OP AND NAIRALAND..Y IS IT THAT IF COVENANT UNIVERSITY SNEEZE U WILL MAKE NOISE ABOUT IT.,IS IT THE ONLY UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA OR U GUYS ARE JUST LOOKING FOR TROUBLE COS IS A XTIAN UNIVERSITY..Y DNT U GUYS ATTACK CRESENT UNIVERSITY AND THEIR LIKES WHICH ARE ISLAM UNIVERSITY...OHH I GET IT WHEN U ARE JUST XCEPTIONAL GREAT,NUISANCE WIL TALK ABOUT U..IS JUST BECOS COVENANT UNI. IS THE BEST SCHOOL IN NIGERIA..CHRISTIANPHOBIA HAVE BCUM THE ORDER OF THE DAY IN NAIRALAND..U GUYS TALK EVIL ABOUT OUR SPIRITUAL LEADERS ANYHOW..WAT OF THE BOKO-HARAMIZED IMAM AND SHEIK??CRAZY AND STUPID PEOPLE..U GUYS SHOULD MIND UR BIZ..MTCHEW
Brain-washed dude U don finish? Where is common sense? Mtcheeeew
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by kenzspunpy(m): 12:43pm On Dec 29, 2012
Originalsly: Were the students forced to enrol in tbe university? Did they not read and understand the requirements? They signed the contract ....then broke it. Who's fault? Didn't they they think of their future?... and the fees their parents invested in them? Knuckleheads.

I wonder o. People just talk as if they think from their anus. You have signed a contract, which clearly spells out the terms. You go against it and the dictates of the contract are brought to bear. Whose fault? Were they forced to go to the school? This is even a school that is not affordable for common citizens. If truly the rich kids run foul of the school rules as claimed by the Registrar, let them dance to the music and if not, let their parents seek redress. Rules are rules and should be held sacrosanct, once u sign up! Shikena!!

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by mu2sa2: 1:03pm On Dec 29, 2012
metti:
U are so stupid! Are u equating your so called man of god to the Almighty God? It is onl God that can do no wrong. Use your head!
Read the post again and maybe u'll get the sarcasm.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by gdaylawal: 1:21pm On Dec 29, 2012
inpeace: What if God expell them from earth for little sins they commit?
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Dec 29, 2012
It's not by force to go there abi wetin?

It's part of their 'code of conduct'.... my brother went there and he's a Moslem and he's aware of the consequences if he miss service.... I warned my Daddy but we wanted good education for him since all these Federal and states universities are always on strike..... if you bend the rules , expect the worse to happen, shikena!

Stop hating people!
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by igben(m): 1:27pm On Dec 29, 2012
Just passing by...
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Degis(m): 1:28pm On Dec 29, 2012
Maxymilliano: Oyedepo might have felt slighted by the students poor attitude to constituted school authorities but it is wrong for him to have reacted on impulse, the bulk of the blame should stop at his table and he should be bold enough to admit he failed woefully in instilling right and appropriate discipline on the student.

This are teens entrusted to his care, with lots of money down the drain in the name of school fees and if this is what they graduated to be after 4 years of studying under what should be strict moral and ethical codes, then Oyedepo should apologized to the concerned parents and make refunds if possible.

Mr. Preacher, save your breath!. The problem with many sentimental posers is that the Bishop is made to look like a villain, who with precision accuracy is ready to squash any hapless student without recourse to natural justice and etiquette, however lets together check the other side of the coin

1. Were the students aware of the departure service starting at the aforesaid time?

2. Did the School Handbook require that the Departure Service attendance is non negotiable?

3. Those whose exams ended by 5pm on the aforementioned day, Was 2hours, 15 mins not enough for adequate rest and preparation for the departure service?

4. If some Students could jump through the window in a bid to escape this ordeal, is it not an indication that it is a serious offence that it could warrant a dismal?

5. Should the severity of punishment be subject to the mildness of the crime?

6. If you can't do the time then don't do the crime

If you cannot stand the heat then don't stay in the kitchen. Covenant University is an unapologetic mission school. If you can't abide by the rules, don't go there simple!

To the expelled students, you can either appeal to the school authorities for leniency or go to Court to enforce your fundamental rights. Soliciting for sympathy doesn't cut it.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by dam007(m): 2:57pm On Dec 29, 2012
mtchewww!! Ode
Tamita: 2nd to comment tinz...
Anyway, I comment my reserve.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by TheMadameXimena(f): 3:09pm On Dec 29, 2012
absolute rubbish. since when did it become compulsory to attend church service? would it guarantee me heaven? these people and their holier than thou attitude. let them show me in the bible where i must attend church forcefully. the students sef no try. let them invoke the spirit of aluta. this story will end
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Whizkay(m): 3:11pm On Dec 29, 2012
dats y afe babalola univ(ABUAD) is d best priv skul...u may practice any religion of ya choice nd u get to enjoy certain freedom to a reasonable extent compared to others.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by sako28: 3:17pm On Dec 29, 2012
uceee: This is serious. Anyway, if u decide to go to CU or any of these church owned Unis, then you should know what you are getting into and be prepared to abide by all their church rules. If you contravene any, you face the music.

U are right, So far is a regulation in the school and u accept to study in CU,then u obey rules. Well is sad for their wasted years.all colleges and universities have to impose some disciplines too. That why i love Unilorin.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by phestus(m): 3:28pm On Dec 29, 2012
Glorified Secondary School at it again.No wonder there I.T students are less effective in a social environment.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nabenj(f): 4:24pm On Dec 29, 2012
An undertaking is an undertaking; I'm sure the students signed one before getting in. Covenant University is a privately owned Christian University. The rules are meant to protect the young ones and not victimize them. Money is not everything, that you pay heavy fees is no excuse to break the law. This University is not for everyone so no need complaining. And my observation is that many are getting into higher institutions at 15/16. I'm sure their parents want them protected.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by awaiyerasheed: 4:42pm On Dec 29, 2012
its a serious issue,I don't blame the school though, i blame the parents that know these things and still send their kids there, if the children dont know better, the parents should, how do u groom adults who are supposed to be in the university to build their minds, and adopt their individual and personal interests and attitudes to life and expect them not to rebel or take some decisions that go against policy at one time or another? even goats, dogs and other animals go off the path the owners lay for them, talk less of human beings wiv minds of their own...These "babies" nurtured in that "controlled environment" the petri dish called C.U, graduate from these schools and find it difficult to cope in the real world. last one i heard was of how if a lady was no longer a virgin, she couldnt graduate.....lol...VERY SOON THEY WILL DRAG SOME PEOPLE TO THE I.C.J and the UN for disregarding students fundamental human rights....
ANYWAYS I THOUGHT THEIR PARENTS ARE RICH, DRAG THE SCHOOL, THE N.U.C THAT ACCREDITS SUCH RUBBISH AND PLEASE ROPE IN THE MINISTER OF EDUCATION to court... imagine final year studnts....N600,000 x 4-5 semesters plus other fees and most of all, WASTING THE KIDS PRECIOUS TIME......hmmmmm. GOD HELP US ALL.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Rastamann: 5:43pm On Dec 29, 2012
Students know the rules before they come in. At the interview stage they are all told about the rules and they promise to keep it for the duration of their course, so when you know the rules why break it? If you know that you don't want to go to the chapel, why not stay near or outside the chapel to avoid trouble?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fresh ASUU Strike Looms As Union Reviews Deal With FG / Computer Science And Computer Engineering: What Are The Differences? / University Of Ibadan Produces 26 First Class Graduates At The Law School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.