Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,475 members, 7,830,391 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? (19328 Views)

Rivers University Expels Student For Having Speech And Hearing Challenges / Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students / New Varsity, Federal University, Lokoja, Admits 200 Students, Takes Off In Janua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by UfuomaUN(m): 6:12pm On Dec 29, 2012
SimonAndal:
_
SOURCE
glorified nursery and primary school.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by babanne(m): 6:45pm On Dec 29, 2012
dopeJemi: wait

Is it just Me or av I Heard dis News b4

I tot dis ish happened weeks ago n it aLso made d front page

Or did dey expeL another 200 students

Is dis a Deja vu

PLz sum1 correct Me
let seun warn his mods.how many times in the same month are u bringing this piece of news about a glorified nursery school to the front page? If the parents of those expelled for missing church service get a good lawyer,oyedepo will take them back and that rubbish law that is against fundamental right of religion & association shall be cancelled.my neighbour's daughter is a student of the skool & related what happened.she said oyedepo was expected around 8pm but he kept them waiting for him till midnight.she added that the hall was very stuffy that night because they didnt use air conditioner.so the students stepped outside and when oyedepo eventually came,he met them outside &started chasing them.rather than chastising them in the normal way,he began raining heavy curses on them.even saying the wrath of the lord shall be on whoever murmured among them.ask me who does he call himself?god?jesus?even god & jesus christ are very,very reasonable with man,especially young ones.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by inertiia(f): 6:49pm On Dec 29, 2012
hw will u say no private skul does dat pls say wot u kno cos madonna is worse
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by mailemy(m): 7:51pm On Dec 29, 2012
Can't believe this story. There is more to this than just missing church program.
But the student should be aware of school rules & regulations and abide by them.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by bigmaut: 8:10pm On Dec 29, 2012
Why didnt he open a theology school in d 1st place?
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Dec 29, 2012
SamConquer: U GUYS ARE JOBLESS...@OP AND NAIRALAND..Y IS IT THAT IF COVENANT UNIVERSITY SNEEZE U WILL MAKE NOISE ABOUT IT.,IS IT THE ONLY UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA OR U GUYS ARE JUST LOOKING FOR TROUBLE COS IS A XTIAN UNIVERSITY..Y DNT U GUYS ATTACK CRESENT UNIVERSITY AND THEIR LIKES WHICH ARE ISLAM UNIVERSITY...OHH I GET IT WHEN U ARE JUST XCEPTIONAL GREAT,NUISANCE WIL TALK ABOUT U..IS JUST BECOS COVENANT UNI. IS THE BEST SCHOOL IN NIGERIA..CHRISTIANPHOBIA HAVE BCUM THE ORDER OF THE DAY IN NAIRALAND..U GUYS TALK EVIL ABOUT OUR SPIRITUAL LEADERS ANYHOW..WAT OF THE BOKO-HARAMIZED IMAM AND SHEIK??CRAZY AND STUPID PEOPLE..U GUYS SHOULD MIND UR BIZ..MTCHEW

Mumu, do u know wat a university means In it there are people of diff background, belief, faculty of reasoning and things of interest. Covenant is a church school NOT a university. Rubbish hypocrites. tongue
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Prexzi(m): 9:02pm On Dec 29, 2012
They broke Rules n dey were expelled, mind u, dey were nt forced to come to d sch... Who born U to try ham 4 OAU?

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by ayosmiles(m): 9:04pm On Dec 29, 2012
folks, read d news on vanguard newspaper again. although church service is compulsory, d punishment for not attendin is nt stated. usualy students are given a letter of warning but on dis day, d almighty bishop was around nd things had to be done diff
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Renew2: 9:05pm On Dec 29, 2012
I even day surprise y d student day cry wen fuel nd matches day
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by ayosmiles(m): 9:08pm On Dec 29, 2012
dis is a clear violation of human rights. CU has stepped on d rights of its students continously with impunity. I thnk they shld take d skul to court
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by KingHeni: 9:22pm On Dec 29, 2012
GOOD GOOD VERY GOOD.... exactly what
Nigeria youths need, some one must rise to teach some folks how to be lawful ...what led nija to this mess is lawlessness.
And for all CU hater you just been myopic , if you read the article well ,you will find a constitution guiding the institution...we all know who ever breaks the edge the serpent will surely bite... the school understands protocol and rules ...Adam and eve broke a simple rule and the earth became corrupt... abi una wan spoil dat divine rehab facility as una spoil Nigeria with una lawlessness ...

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by OsunOriginal: 9:31pm On Dec 29, 2012
Rastamann: Students know the rules before they come in. At the interview stage they are all told about the rules and they promise to keep it for the duration of their course, so when you know the rules why break it? If you know that you don't want to go to the chapel, why not stay near or outside the chapel to avoid trouble?

What rules are you talking about? This is a university - the student are adults, not kids. They can chose not to even attend church services again if they no longer believe in what is going on in the church or even the religion itself - they should have this right the same way the owner of the university has enjoyed and still enjoying the right to his belief. What right then do they have to start forcing students to attend church service and start expelling students for not attending? The affected students should get a good lawyer and take the school to court - this is a secular country for God sake!
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by OsunOriginal: 9:39pm On Dec 29, 2012
Degis:

Mr. Preacher, save your breath!. The problem with many sentimental posers is that the Bishop is made to look like a villain, who with precision accuracy is ready to squash any hapless student without recourse to natural justice and etiquette, however lets together check the other side of the coin

1. Were the students aware of the departure service starting at the aforesaid time?

2. Did the School Handbook require that the Departure Service attendance is non negotiable?

3. Those whose exams ended by 5pm on the aforementioned day, Was 2hours, 15 mins not enough for adequate rest and preparation for the departure service?

4. If some Students could jump through the window in a bid to escape this ordeal, is it not an indication that it is a serious offence that it could warrant a dismal?

5. Should the severity of punishment be subject to the mildness of the crime?

6. If you can't do the time then don't do the crime

If you cannot stand the heat then don't stay in the kitchen. Covenant University is an unapologetic mission school. If you can't abide by the rules, don't go there simple!

To the expelled students, you can either appeal to the school authorities for leniency or go to Court to enforce your fundamental rights. Soliciting for sympathy doesn't cut it.

What do you mean by handbook saying church service is non negotiable in a secular country? If they have that in their handbook, it is illegal and should be challenged. If our ancestors and the founders of this country have insisted that tradition religion is non negotiable, will it be possible for Oyedepo to be christian today and making all the money from his zombie followers?
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by wowo2: 9:50pm On Dec 29, 2012
Prexzi: They broke Rules n dey were expelled, mind u, dey were nt forced to come to d sch... Who born U to try ham 4 OAU?

To try what exactly or break which rule at OAU? The OAU I attended is not a barbaric school.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by KingHeni: 10:29pm On Dec 29, 2012
Symphony007: Hope the federal ministry of education realise the extremist universities they are granting certiicates to operate?
every other university operational certificate should be joined together as one and giving to CU ..just a decade old and already competing with top ten university in the country, an America professor actually described it as a miracle . You think if they allow their student skip church service,drink acohol, dress like tout and prostitutes , They would achieve that success ...
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by luluosas(m): 11:31pm On Dec 29, 2012
If Covenant University is a pure religious (Christian) school, the name better be changed to Covenant Christian University, so as to avoid admitting all sorts of students who may never graduate from the school. This is my take on the matter.
It should never be termed a Christian school because it was founded by a church, for as far as it is an institution of learning, whether owned and operated by a church, people from all kinds of background are bound to seek admission there.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by bigmaut: 1:26am On Dec 30, 2012
This is preposterious!
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by sunky644(m): 2:39am On Dec 30, 2012
SamConquer: U GUYS ARE JOBLESS...@OP AND NAIRALAND..Y IS IT THAT IF COVENANT UNIVERSITY SNEEZE U WILL MAKE NOISE ABOUT IT.,IS IT THE ONLY UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA OR U GUYS ARE JUST LOOKING FOR TROUBLE COS IS A XTIAN UNIVERSITY..Y DNT U GUYS ATTACK CRESENT UNIVERSITY AND THEIR LIKES WHICH ARE ISLAM UNIVERSITY...OHH I GET IT WHEN U ARE JUST XCEPTIONAL GREAT,NUISANCE WIL TALK ABOUT U..IS JUST BECOS COVENANT UNI. IS THE BEST SCHOOL IN NIGERIA..CHRISTIANPHOBIA HAVE BCUM THE ORDER OF THE DAY IN NAIRALAND..U GUYS TALK EVIL ABOUT OUR SPIRITUAL LEADERS ANYHOW..WAT OF THE BOKO-HARAMIZED IMAM AND SHEIK??CRAZY AND STUPID PEOPLE..U GUYS SHOULD MIND UR BIZ..MTCHEW
Do you know that when you type in capital letters it means you are shouting? Who told you CU is the best university in Nigeria? Abeg, no let people wey go roast you hear that one oooo...
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Osheshe(f): 5:42am On Dec 30, 2012
@ SamConquer....are you a product of CU? The CU I know does not train people to cuss and swear like street urchins. Take a step back and chill...you've got to learn how to let things slide. It doesn't take the 'S' out of your name, neither does it make you stupid. There are much better ways to present your opinions.

@ KingHeni....posts such as yours are simply antagonizing.

@ Degis...I am a staunch believer in the fact that there are two sides to every coin. You strike me as one of those 'Student Council' type. All the same, I make bold to say that your argument is heavily FLAWED.

It takes the grace of God to finish an examination and still have strength for anything other than sleeep. It also came to my notice that some over-zealous hall attendants and officers lock up the halls of residence way before time, even with students within. Names like Mrs Azuh and Miss Seun readily come to mind.

The rule states that students are to be seated 15 minutes prior to any meeting. Why then should a hall of residence be locked up 1 hour to the commencement of a meeting? I'm 100% sure that this particular scenario played out on the eventful day...and also contributed to students staying back from the departure service.

You stating that 2hrs 15mins is ample time to rest and prepare for the said service is pure falsehood. Even with the presence of two big cafeterias, there's always a long queue to get food and it will take a student at least 30-45mins to buy a meal, except those who were lucky enough to get a free meal from matriculating students.

Another thing, on many occasions the time for the departure service is never announced until a few hours before. So in all likelihood, the students were informed of the said time, scanty hours before the meeting began.

The only set of people I feel nothing for are those that were caught smoking. The demons chasing them from their father's/mother's villages finally caught up with them. How can you do such within the school premises and with only a few hours left to go home...na wa ooo.

As for the 120-something students found in the halls of residence/college buildings....there is every possibility that quite a number of them stayed back on grounds of ill-health. These persons are victims of circumstance or collateral damage because their pleas will fall on deaf ears since the Chancellor has 'spoken'.

I'm sure some zealot will want to chip in that all sick students are meant to be at the Health Center. Hold your horses. I've had cause to visit the health center on several occasions....during meetings, services and the like. Due to the small and cramped nature of the place, they usually do not place anybody on admission, except in severe cases. All they do is prescribe drugs for you and send you back to the hostel. Tell me why as a sick student, I'll want to present myself at the chapel. To receive my healing? Amid the loud noise and instrumentals? I don't think so.

I am equally cognizant of the fact that some students stayed put for dubious reasons...they 'stabbed' the service so that they can watch movies, gist and just lounge. Those in this category with a clean slate (no previous record or issue with the authorities) will be called back most certainly after a 2 year period to continue their studies. This will be hinged on the completion of the WOFBI program and many signed undertakings of course. So see this as a 2 year hiatus. The Lord be with you.

Moving on to the last set of students...the sixty-something that were expelled on grounds of violating the University's core values. Among these will also be those expelled on trumped-up charges.

I've seen situations where students have been expelled from the institution because one official or the other had a score to settle with them. Names like Ekpeyong, Audi Man, Victoria and even Mr. Omonijo a.k.a Lil' John come to mind here. These people sometimes went as far as 'planting' evidence just to implicate a student. I'm so sure these sixty-something were previous disciplinary cases ranging from the mundane to the absurd to serious, cases that were uprooted and added to the 'harvest' to give it a well-rounded 'feel'.

I was in the system...I saw it all. If you want to talk about the two sides of a coin, you have to be 'fair' and 'objective', not shallow and condescending (said without heat, no insult implied). I am an 'eagle'...who will call a spade what it is at any given time of the day.

Has it crossed your mind that some of those expelled might be tempted to take their lives? God forbid such a thing to happen...but I can bet you a lot of them are feeling plenty suicidial right now.

This very long epistle of mine was painstakingly typed to point out some very large loop hooles in defending arguments.

All students know what they signed up for when they got enrolled in the institution. The blissfully ignorant ones had the core values drummed into their skulls at the regular meetings/general assemblies/services.

Nevertheless, students fall victim to the big hammer of expulsion consciously, semi-consciously and unconsciously as clearly outlined above.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by babyboy3(m): 8:03am On Dec 30, 2012
Is the university only for student from the Christian faith?

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Dbaba(m): 8:04am On Dec 30, 2012
Chai. How boiz go dey cain chicks for dis skol. Wahala dey oOooO
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by aribolseg(m): 11:59am On Dec 30, 2012

TRASH. Read again and hear ursef
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Dovy: 1:18pm On Dec 30, 2012
Religion is artifical dat mean it cn neva be forced 2 pple. CU is artifical Unis lookin 4 pple they can extort money nd freedom to
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by modicum: 8:00pm On Dec 30, 2012
There are some yeye complaints I no longer entertain. If you don't know by now that Covenant University is Shawshank Redemption multiplied by Oral Roberts University, you must live on Mars. You know that the Chancellor treats even the Vice-Chancellor and academic staff like errant school prefects. We've argued over virginity tests and other excesses in the past. Yet, you opened your two eyes, your two ears and voluntarily enrolled your kid there. Don't come and grumble that the Chancellor is at it again, expelling some two hundred students for failing to attend a Church service, even cursing and invoking the wrath of God on some of them for noise making during the said service. Allah be praised that none got a dirty slap this time around for being a noisemaker for Jesus. It seems that Baba is always slapping when he is not cursing. Although Professor Okojie's NUC has been spectacularly blind to its oversight responsibilities, always pleading the excuse of ignorance with regard to the assault on the very idea of the University that is going on permanently at Covenant, whatever happened to voting with your money and enrolling your kid elsewhere? You, parent, cannot possibly not know what you are getting your kid into. The heavy-handedness of Covenant University is an open secret. Vote with your money and stop complaining. Besides, if you can afford the astronomical school fees at Covenant, it means you are a parent with means in Nigeria. It means you have the resources to join and support the civic struggle for the soul and standard of public education in Nigeria. If the public Universities had half the resources and facilities of Covenant, you wouldn't have to send your kid there - or to Ghana. Put your money where your mouth is: fight for public education. No country ever made it without a functional, efficient, standard public education system. Taking your money to Ghanaian Universities to pay school fees collectively higher than Nigeria's annual education budget or to wealthy private Universities run as fiefdoms of Christian Talibanism in Nigeria is the educational equivalent of abandoning your roads and taking to the skies in private jets and private or privatized military helicopters. Something always gives.-PIUS ADESANMI
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by kclub147: 10:46pm On Dec 30, 2012
Samconquer, U̶̲̥̅̊ must be a great beautiful fool in dis world, na covenant b d only xtian university in nigeria, so why dem always, if U̶̲̥̅̊ can rem wen d skul introduceds HIV test,does it make sense to U̶̲̥̅̊ ansd ur family@all? Bombastic element, ode oshi, oponu, dsidirin, alaini ironu, maalu. Ooobo langido. Idiot mumu
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by luvacedynamite: 6:58pm On Dec 31, 2012
Am a student of covenant uni,and everything vanguard said is true ,they have saddistic and extremist people running that school,they search ur lockers,check our laptops,ipad, to see if wizkid and other secular musicians songs are in it,if they see it ,they would suspend or give u letter of warning,oyedepo doesnt knw he actually makes student hate christianity nd church.
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by ayosmiles(m): 8:38am On Jan 02, 2013
While d idea of a christian skul with high moral standard is gud, CU as an institution has become an epitome of hypocricy. U clain to be trainin students to be biz leaders nd u dont allow them to practice small busnes just so u can monopolize nd make money
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by ayosmiles(m): 8:44am On Jan 02, 2013
I knw dis cos i was a studnt. U claim to be buildin gud women to be gud wives nd u dont allow dem to cook so that u can make money frm dem. U claim to be developin students spiritualy but u dont alow freedom of woship so dat people wil only go to ur church
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jan 02, 2013
Taking things too far
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by majortele(m): 2:19am On Jan 03, 2013
Um
Re: Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? by iamcourage(m): 11:37am On Jan 03, 2013
caritas is d worst of all...u can get xpelled for missing adoration or sports, u dare nt miss church service at caritas

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: How Did Students React In Your School? / Fresh ASUU Strike Looms As Union Reviews Deal With FG / Computer Science And Computer Engineering: What Are The Differences?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.