Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,873 members, 7,828,111 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? (4706 Views)

I'll Laugh If Messi Wins The Ballon D'or - Pique / Messi Breaks Muller's Record Of 85 Goals In A Calendar Year / League Analysis: The EPL Vs The Bundesliga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by Nobody: 11:41am On Jan 02, 2013
coogar:

messi will not score 40 goals in the english premier league never mind 50.
what do you think this league is? the strength of the league is fairly distributed...unlike in spain where there's a wide gulf between the top 2 and the other 18 clubs. are we talking about the same messi that did nothing against chelsea that could only finish 6th last season?
I agree the strength of the league are fairly distributed but sadly the level at which all the Epl clubs are operating are just average. The top teams are not examplary with the way they play. The tactics are fairly the same with all. The only club that wants to be unique and Spanish- like is Swansea and you can agree that almost all the clubs are struggling big time to adapt to their style. Man united will prefer to play Arsenal than to play Swansea . In Spain, almost all the clubs except may be Real Madrid, play like Swansea. So by implication, all Epl club will struggle to play them. And Michu has triumphed in that set up. Add more quality to this Swansea side and you get a Barcelona.

To be flank, i do not enjoy watching Epl games because of lack of quality. I only watch City games because they are a side i support. With others you get nothing but high ball and waiting for set pieces including goal kicks as real goal scoring opportunities.
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by coogar: 11:55am On Jan 02, 2013
Johnpaul88: I agree the strength of the league are fairly distributed but sadly the level at which all the Epl clubs are operating are just average. The top teams are not examplary with the way they play. The tactics are fairly the same with all.

we have done this argument to death. what is at stake in the premier league is higher than what's at stake in the other european leagues. promotion to the premier league cops a bigger prize-money than winning the champions league(for instance) so english teams are more concerned with survival than playing pretty football. in face-offs like domestic cup competitions, you would see leeds fc beating united at old trafford or bradford beating arsenal cos there's nothing to lose for the minnows.

The only club that wants to be unique and Spanish- like is Swansea and you can agree that almost all the clubs are struggling big time to adapt to their style. Man united will prefer to play Arsenal than to play Swansea .

so where's swansea on the league table? 1st? 2nd? 3rd? please stop making this unfounded assumption. swansea play pretty football but does it work for them here? man utd took 6 points off swansea last season at the height of their pretty football.

In Spain, almost all the clubs except may be Real Madrid, play like Swansea. So by implication, all Epl club will struggle to play them. And Michu has triumphed in that set up. Add more quality to this Swansea side and you get a Barcelona.

english clubs have beaten spanish clubs more times than the other way round. so that is just an assumption. chelsea were 6th-placed when they beat barcelona last season. arsenal cannot stop beating villareal and i cannot count the number of times chelsea/united have mauled valencia, deportivo or whichever flavour of the month club in spain.

To be flank, i do not enjoy watching Epl games because of lack of quality. I only watch City games because they are a side i support. With others you get nothing but high ball and waiting for set pieces including goal kicks as real goal scoring opportunities.

like i said, the mentality here is "don't lose" and the prize-money is the reason for that. there's no way messi would score 91 goals in england. in the last fortnight, english clubs must have played 5 league games in quick bursts whilst messi n the other european leagues are on break recharging their batteries.

messi would come back fresh in january to cause more havoc while players in england would be all fatigued. throw the other factor of the extra competition in england(carling cup or capital one cup) into the whole mix and you can understand why messi won't score 91 in england.
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jan 02, 2013
coogar:

that is because you are a cöcksücker......
dayokanu knows he has been duly lectured again that a certain ruud scored 14 goals in one champions league season ever before messi did. he did not score the goals from europa league. it was in the same elite europe and ruud scored 14 goals in 11 apps.
Me cöcksücker? you gotta be kidding me.

But if anybody was lectured here, it is certainly not Dayokanu.

For the umpteenth time ,goals scored in the qualifiers of any international competition including UEFA champions league are not included in the scorers goals if he manages other goals when the competition starts properly. Playoff are qualifiers and thus not counted.

1 Like

Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by Afam4eva(m): 12:07pm On Jan 02, 2013
Johnpaul88: I agree the strength of the league are fairly distributed but sadly the level at which all the Epl clubs are operating are just average. The top teams are not examplary with the way they play. The tactics are fairly the same with all. The only club that wants to be unique and Spanish- like is Swansea and you can agree that almost all the clubs are struggling big time to adapt to their style. Man united will prefer to play Arsenal than to play Swansea . In Spain, almost all the clubs except may be Real Madrid, play like Swansea. So by implication, all Epl club will struggle to play them. And Michu has triumphed in that set up. Add more quality to this Swansea side and you get a Barcelona.

You have a very valid point.

People keep saying that there's no competition in the La Liga citing the fact that Madrid and Barca are the only teams in Spain forgetting the fact that other clubs in spain are the ones who beat the biggest teams in England. IMO, the Laliga is competitive, it's just that there are two exceptional teams and not because there are mediocre teams. As for the EPL, like you said most of the teams are average while some are downright mediocre. Most teams in England may have the infrastructure of a big club but they they play like road side teams.
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by coogar: 12:08pm On Jan 02, 2013
Johnpaul88: Me cöcksücker? you gotta be kidding me. But if anybody was lectured here, it is certainly not Dayokanu.

it's dayokanu.....comparing euro 2012 qualifiers to champions league play-offs already tells me dayo is an ignoramus.

For the umpteenth time ,goals scored in the qualifiers of any international competition including UEFA champions league are not included in the scorers goals if he manages other goals when the competition starts properly. Playoff are qualifiers and thus not counted.

it does not apply to champions league, i am afraid......
what are you guys arguing about for effing sake? how many goals has ruud scored in the champions league competiton? did the goals he scored in the play-offs count in his overall record or not? how can it be official when counting overall but it's not official on the scorer's chart? am i arguing with dorks here?
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jan 02, 2013
Please Mr. Coogar;
can you get me the real figures these teams that get promoted to the epl are paid and/or stays in the epl are paid at the end of the season compared to other clubs in other leagues like say La liga. Get the figures to support this your theory that they all fight for survival much less in other leagues because the pay in the epl is enormous.
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jan 02, 2013
My only regret with spanish club and league is that the teams are poor and cannot meet some lofty targets. They cannot attract some rich business men like their Epl counterparts do. Almost all epl teams have rich investors. That is why i would not agree that it is what they get from the league that sustains them and make the like of crappy sunderland to release £14M to sign Johnson from city. If the Spanish league can attract as much investor as the epl do, sky will be their limit.

To whom much is given, much is expected. But to epl teams,
they constantly spurt out mediocre performances that does not justify their wealth.
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by coogar: 12:30pm On Jan 02, 2013
Johnpaul88: Please Mr. Coogar;
can you get me the real figures these teams that get promoted to the epl are paid and/or stays in the epl are paid at the end of the season compared to other clubs in other leagues like say La liga. Get the figures to support this your theory that they all fight for survival much less in other leagues because the pay in the epl is enormous.

surviving in the epl gives you around £50m(tv money, sponsorship, etc)

this was how the money was shared in 2011 when united won it....

with the new overseas deal starting from 2013/14, league winners would make as much as £100m and a relegating team would pocket a whopping sum of £60m. do you know what that amount means to clubs like stoke, west brom or wigan? stoke fc for instance got promoted in 08/09 and has since established themselves as a proper premier league side with their negative football - enjoying mouthwatering prize money with european nights - you want them to give that up for pretty football that landed blackpool back into the 2nd division?
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by ddippset(m): 12:32pm On Jan 02, 2013
So much der8ilment from the 8rgument.Messi is god. Not liter8rily but he is god. He will get his 4th b8llon dor, more th8n 8ny other pl8yer in history. Lionel messi the gre8test of 8ll time.
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by coogar: 12:42pm On Jan 02, 2013
Johnpaul88: My only regret with spanish club and league is that the teams are poor and cannot meet some lofty targets. They cannot attract some rich business men like their Epl counterparts do. Almost all epl teams have rich investors. That is why i would not agree that it is what they get from the league that sustains them and make the like of crappy sunderland to release £14M to sign Johnson from city. If the Spanish league can attract as much investor as the epl do, sky will be their limit.

your argument is upside down!
the spanish clubs are poor because the spanish FA are rëtarded. allowing real madrid and barcelona to secure their own independent tv deals is the reason the other 18 clubs are struggling. in england, all the tv money are pooled together and are shared fairly equally. this is why the competiton is a bit fair here cos the difference in prize money between league winners n the bottom team is not significant!

To whom much is given, much is expected. But to epl teams,
they constantly spurt out mediocre performances that does not justify their wealth.

there are several ways to skin a cat.
like i have told you, the mentality here is "don't lose" - the prize money is the big factor. teams have loads to lose if they play pretty football and relegate. there's no bank that would compensate then when they relegate to the 2nd division. stoke fc is a living witness on how to manage a club!
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by goddyjay(m): 12:54pm On Jan 02, 2013
MESSI FANS ARE ANGRY tongue tongue cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by coogar: 1:00pm On Jan 02, 2013
goddyjay: MESSI FANS ARE ANGRY tongue tongue cheesy cheesy cheesy

messi fanboys are pricks......
ronaldo who sodomised la liga in his brief career there never scored 50 goals in england. the moment defenders knew what he's about, he was kicked n pilloried - anelka even beat him to the golden boot in his final season in england. messi gets extra-protected in spain and in uefa competitions. he's their poster boy - he would be lucky if ryan shawcross does not end his career at the britannia stadium.

1 Like

Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by goddyjay(m): 1:20pm On Jan 02, 2013
[quote author=coogar he would be lucky if ryan shawcross does not end his career at the britannia stadium.[/quote]

SHAWCROSS HUTH LUIS CUELLAR KOMPANY VIDIC VERMAELEN NOZONZI SOTTON

THESE GUYS ARE REGULALY NOT THE BEST FOOTBALLERS BUT THEY'RE GOOD AT WHAT THEY KNOW HOW TO DO WELL KICK STRIKERS ASS grin

ONCE AGAIN MESSI 91 GOALS IN THE EPL I DOUBT IT............. undecided
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by goddyjay(m): 1:24pm On Jan 02, 2013
THE EPL ATMOSPHERE IS DAMNING MEDIA, FANS BOOING YOU, KINDA PLAYERS, NO HOLIDAYS, PRESSURE FROM ALL ANGLES, REFEREES WILL FRUSTRATE YOU ( CHELSEA FANS, IF YOU REMEMBER CLATTENBURG >smiley ALL THIS THINGS PUT TOGETHER CAN BRING MESSI DOWN TO 30 GOALS IN A SEASON lipsrsealed IN ALL COMPETITIONS I MEAN cheesy cheesy
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by goddyjay(m): 1:25pm On Jan 02, 2013
THE EPL'S ATMOSPHERE IS DAMNING, MEDIA, FANS BOOING YOU, KINDA PLAYERS YOU PLAY AGAINST, NO HOLIDAYS, PRESSURE FROM ALL ANGLES, REFEREES WILL FRUSTRATE YOU ( CHELSEA FANS, IF YOU REMEMBER CLATTENBURG >smiley ALL THIS THINGS PUT TOGETHER CAN BRING MESSI DOWN TO 30 GOALS IN A SEASON lipsrsealed IN ALL COMPETITIONS I MEAN cheesy cheesy
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jan 02, 2013
coogar:

messi fanboys are pricks......
ronaldo who sodomised la liga in his brief career there never scored 50 goals in england. the moment defenders knew what he's about, he was kicked n pilloried - anelka even beat him to the golden boot in his final season in england. messi gets extra-protected in spain and in uefa competitions. he's their poster boy - he would be lucky if ryan shawcross does not end his career at the britannia stadium.
I like Shawcross. He 's spirited and always in the right position. I'll like him in Barca.

Messi being protected by Referees? He 's earned the right. He'll get it anywhere including the epl. You wouldn't allow the best player in the world to suffer in the match you officiate. That's the spirit. And besides, who says Messi will play in the Epl? I think Serie A is more prestigious. The honour in playing for the likes of Juventus or Milan cannot compare to playing for any side in the epl, the money notwithstanding.
But Messi will finish career with us . No team is better!
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by goddyjay(m): 1:36pm On Jan 02, 2013
ddippset: Imagine if ronaldo cristiano the guy who conquered the epl in 2008 and maybe one of the best epl players ever, played in la liga, could he score 91 goals in a year?

RONALDO CONQUERED THE WORLD NOT THE EPL ONLY cool
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by coogar: 1:37pm On Jan 02, 2013
Johnpaul88: I like Shawcross. He 's spirited and always in the right position. I'll like him in Barca.

graduated from man utd's academy!

Messi being protected by Referees? He 's earned the right. He'll get it anywhere including the epl. You wouldn't allow the best player in the world to suffer in the match you officiate.

ronaldo was the best player in the world in his last season in england - the referees didn't spare him for that. he was kicked and pilloried in every game. when he hits the deck from the kicking, he gets booked for diving or dissent. there's an unwritten law here that players from the continent must get their baptism of fire in the england. it's called "welcome to england". david de gea was subjected to that treatment last season.

That's the spirit. And besides, who says Messi will play in the Epl? I think Serie A is more prestigious. The honour in playing for the likes of Juventus or Milan cannot compare to playing for any side in the epl, the money notwithstanding.
But Messi will finish career with us . No team is better!

the premier league is the best league in europe according to uefa. serie a is littered with corruption and match-fixing. who plays there these days? we don't care where messi finishes his career but his goal-craziness ends in spain(where xavi/iniesta offer great help). it's a travesty that he cannot replicate that form for his national team. he cannot even boss the ordinary copa america - never mind the world cup!
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by ddippset(m): 1:51pm On Jan 02, 2013
goddyjay:

RONALDO CONQUERED THE WORLD NOT THE EPL ONLY cool
which world? M8ybe u don't underst8nd my post. If ron8ldo still c8nnot outscore messi in l8 lig8 8fter 3 8ttempts even in the we8k l8 lig8 then messi will def score 50 in the epl. Do the m8th but he 8int going there becos the the legends nver did, nd they still do kick nd rush in the epl.
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jan 02, 2013
goddyjay: THE EPL'S ATMOSPHERE IS DAMNING, MEDIA, FANS BOOING YOU, KINDA PLAYERS YOU PLAY AGAINST, NO HOLIDAYS, PRESSURE FROM ALL ANGLES, REFEREES WILL FRUSTRATE YOU ( CHELSEA FANS, IF YOU REMEMBER CLATTENBURG >smiley ALL THIS THINGS PUT TOGETHER CAN BRING MESSI DOWN TO 30 GOALS IN A SEASON lipsrsealed IN ALL COMPETITIONS I MEAN cheesy cheesy
You say this because you does not understand what it means to have a 3 - time world best player who is still the undisputed favourite to win a fourth, the best goal scorer the world have ever seen. Apart from Christiano Ronaldo, Epl have consistently churned out mediocre players who cannot compete for the best player award . For these defenders you mentioned ,to pocket them does not mean they 'll do same to the world best player.
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by coogar: 1:59pm On Jan 02, 2013
Johnpaul88: You say this because you does not understand what it means to have a 3 - time world best player who is still the undisputed favourite to win a fourth, the best goal scorer the world have ever seen. Apart from Christiano Ronaldo, Epl have consistently churned out mediocre players who cannot compete for the best player award . For these defenders you mentioned ,to pocket them does not mean they 'll do same to the world best player.

epl have churned out mediocre players?
more like la liga is the dumping ground of epl-rejects. go and check out the records of guiseppe rossi, diego forlan, kanoute, the geriatric van nistelrooy, etc.
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by ddippset(m): 1:59pm On Jan 02, 2013
If messi c8nt score 40 in the epl nd ron8ldo did then why isn't ron8ldo scoring 100 go8ls in l8 lig8? 8fter 8ll ron8ldo is the most 8ssisted pl8yer in l8 lig8, with the m8drid superst8rs ozil de m8ri8 8lonso k8k8 nd co feeding him 8ll d8y.
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by coogar: 2:00pm On Jan 02, 2013
ddippset: If messi c8nt score 40 in the epl nd ron8ldo did then why isn't ron8ldo scoring 100 go8ls in l8 lig8? 8fter 8ll ron8ldo is the most 8ssisted pl8yer in l8 lig8, with the m8drid superst8rs ozil de m8ri8 8lonso k8k8 nd co feeding him 8ll d8y.

is it that you don't have "a" key on your board or what is this drivel you are typing?
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by Afam4eva(m): 2:04pm On Jan 02, 2013
coogar:

epl have churned out mediocre players?
more like la liga is the dumping ground of epl-rejects. go and check out the records of guiseppe rossi, diego forlan, kanoute, the geriatric van nistelrooy, etc.
The La Liga is the highest point that one could get in his career. It's like leaving "Chinedu oil and gas" to "Chevron."
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by ddippset(m): 2:07pm On Jan 02, 2013
goddyjay: [/quote][quote author=coogar]

is it that you don't have "a" key on your board or what is this drivel you are typing?
tempor8rily out of service. good u know wut 8 represents.
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by ddippset(m): 2:10pm On Jan 02, 2013
[quote author=goddyjay][/quote]8ll these people re kids stuff when you cosider wut pepe r8mos udjf8lusi could do to u. Pepe only
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by coogar: 2:14pm On Jan 02, 2013
afam4eva:
The La Liga is the highest point that one could get in his career. It's like leaving "Chinedu oil and gas" to "Chevron."

english league is the place to be. la liga is shyte unless you play for real madrid and barcelona. in england, chelsea, arsenal, man city, man utd and liverpool are top quality clubs.
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jan 02, 2013
Coogar,
your argument about Messi not performing for country and getting enormous help from Xavi and Iniesta, is old fashioned. I 've decided not to disspate my energy on it again.

Will you honestly believe that Messi, a 3 time world best,will get the same treatment as Ronaldo a one timer were they to play in the epl at the same time ? The world is in absolute awe of only one player and that 's not Ronaldo.
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by ddippset(m): 2:19pm On Jan 02, 2013
[quote author=goddyjay][/quote]pepe only. If pepe couldn't kill messi then who could?
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by ddippset(m): 2:26pm On Jan 02, 2013
Seriously 8nybody who isn't 8 messi f8n is 8 footb8ll 8ntichrist so to spe8k. Just like johnp8ul s8id messi is the d8rling, the bride of world footb8ll tod8y. The world just w8nts to fvck him but the h8ters re m8d they cnt get the pvssy. Th8ts ex8ctly why they m8d.
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by coogar: 2:38pm On Jan 02, 2013
Johnpaul88: Coogar,
your argument about Messi not performing for country and getting enormous help from Xavi and Iniesta, is old fashioned. I 've decided not to disspate my energy on it again.

but it's the truth - tell me one competition messi has proven himself at senior level outside barcelona. cristiano beasted the english league and now the spanish league(2 different teams). ronaldo(at 19 yrs of age) was a star at euro 2004 for portugal. messi on the other hand is rated less than robinho, adriano, suarez, forlan in south america.

Will you honestly believe that Messi, a 3 time world best,will get the same treatment as Ronaldo a one timer were they to play in the epl at the same time ? The world is in absolute awe of only one player and that 's not Ronaldo.

messi can only function in one type of football(tiki-taka)......ronaldo is the universal adaptor. put him in any league and he would adapt. for messi to even score 50 goals here, he would need the whole barca players in england. that's the only set up he can thrive in.
Re: Imagine If Messi Plays In The Epl....could He Score 91 Goals In One Year? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jan 02, 2013
coogar:

english league is the place to be. la liga is shyte unless you play for real madrid and barcelona. in england, chelsea, arsenal, man city, man utd and liverpool are top quality clubs.
Arsenal and Liverpool, a top quality club? If i believe this, i 'll believe anything. Besides these club sides are not regular legendary clubs ,save may be man united. They are incapable of projecting a player for top individual award. Were Van persie to play for Barcelona, he 'll get a shot at world best. But with United, he may never will.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Europa League Final: Atletico Madrid Vs Athletic Bilbao (3 - 0) 9th May 2012 / UCL: Real Madrid Vs Ajax (4 - 1) On 4th December 2012 / AZ Alkmaar Vs Arsenal [1 - 1] On Tuesday 20th

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.