Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,531 members, 7,847,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 12:52 PM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (171) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (483775 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 6:13am On Apr 08, 2015
tohero:

Think about you throwing me a stone at a fixed distance.
If you want the stone to hit me hard, you must throw it directly at me. If you threw it in a parabolic form in the sense that it went up and on coming down it hit me, believe me, it is not going to be painful as the previous.
NB:
-This distance between us doesn't determine how painful it will be to me.
-what determines it is the height of where I am which will prompt the angle of elevation.
I hope you get the analogy.
well, I think for each hit, there are two firing angles (as long as the firing angle isnt 45degrees) namely theta and 90-theta. I also think the question was asking for the lesser of the two since the greater of the two will make the particle spend longer time in the air.
tohero:

Using the formula v2 = u2+2gh
Where
v=0 ,
g=-9.8m/s2
h= 50 - 1.8 = 48.2m
Vertical component of the initial velocity = u sinA
Where A=75o.

Then the formula bcoms
02 = u2sin275o - 2*9.8*48.2

That is
19.6*48.2 = u2sin275o

Calculator should finish this.
why did you set v=0? Are you assuming the height to be the maximum height? It wasn't given like that nah. What do you think?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 6:15am On Apr 08, 2015
benji93:

the catapult was held at 1.5m above the ground means it is 28.5m below the bird vertically.
the poacher is 25m from the tree horizontally
we have a right angled triangle with 28.5m as the opposite and 25m as the adjascent, and the path taken by the catapult is the hypotenuse
x^2 = 25^2 + 28.5^2
x^2 =1437.25
x=37.911m
duration of shot = 37.911/40=0.955s
tan theta = 28.5/25
theta = tan inverse of 28.5/25=0.851m
are you using pythagora's? I think it would work like that if there's no acceleration due to gravity acting towards the surface of the earth

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by tohero(m): 12:41pm On Apr 08, 2015
jackpot:

why did you set v=0? Are you assuming the height to be the maximum height? It wasn't given like that nah. What do you think?
We are looking for the initial velocity which means the object has been stationary, hence, it implies that velocity=zero.

jackpot:
well, I think for each hit, there are two firing angles (as long as the firing angle isnt 45degrees) namely theta and 90-theta. I also think the question was asking for the lesser of the two since the greater of the two will make the particle spend longer time in the air.
We are already given the angle as 75o. What other angles are you suggesting for
Our aim is to find the initial velocity not --the lesser of two angles.

That's my solution anyway. Bring forth your possible solution probably we may get convinced.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by benji93: 2:09pm On Apr 08, 2015
jackpot:
are you using pythagora's? I think it would work like that if there's no acceleration due to gravity acting towards the surface of the earth
rit if gravity is taken into consideration then s= ut + (1/2)gt^2,but since it is shot at a component of the velocity would be acting vertically upwards
so we can find theta first using the sides of the right angled triangle and then find t since we know u,g and we have found s=x=the hypotenuse.
or probably s = usin theta + (1/2)gt^2,where s is the vertical of the right angled triangle,
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Miscellaneous(m): 7:24pm On Apr 08, 2015
jackpot:
Question four

A poacher standing at a distance of 25m from a tree saw, aims and takes a shot with a catapult at a bird whose vertical distance from the ground is 30m. Suppose that
(i) the catapult is held at a distance of 1.5m above ground level,
(ii) the initial velocity of the shot was 40m/s,
(iii) the bird was hit before it could make a move,
then calculate
(a) the duration of the shot
(b) the angle of the shot

it would be easier to solve all this ur projectile if u consider just the vertical distance, horizontal & tan of the angle at first. They are cases of projectiles of say a footballer hitting a ball at angle theta & the ball landing on a roof ymetres from the ground at a distance xmetres from the footballer.

If you do not follow the approach I gave, you will probably bask in the euphoria that the answer you got was correct when it isn't.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 10:02pm On Apr 08, 2015
Miscellaneous:

it would be easier to solve all this ur projectile if u consider just the vertical distance, horizontal & tan of the angle at first. They are cases of projectiles of say a footballer hitting a ball at angle theta & the ball landing on a roof ymetres from the ground at a distance xmetres from the footballer.

If you do not follow the approach I gave, you will probably bask in the euphoria that the answer you got was correct when it isn't.
alright, Sir. solve one please.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 10:10pm On Apr 08, 2015
tohero:

We are looking for the initial velocity which means the object has been stationary, hence, it implies that velocity=zero.

We are already given the angle as 75o. What other angles are you suggesting for
Our aim is to find the initial velocity not --the lesser of two angles.

That's my solution anyway. Bring forth your possible solution probably we may get convinced.
thanks, it was a mix-up. I was referring to a similar question in my text.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Miscellaneous(m): 10:24pm On Apr 08, 2015
jackpot:
alright, Sir. solve one please.

lol………

I'm relaxing & I'm not with calc. here

use, y= (xtan©) - { (gx²)/(2u²cos²©)}

where;
y=vertical distance
x=horizontal distance
© = given angle
u= initial velocity

also put R= Ux • T into use

R= range
Ux = ucos©
T= flight time

also put say, Vy = usin© - gT into use;
Vy = vertical component of velocity

try it ……… u na scholar na!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by benji93: 11:26pm On Apr 08, 2015
jackpot:
angle = 48.743
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 2:53pm On Apr 09, 2015
hmmmm.

see math scholars abeg .

busy solving with passion , greets you all guys

@ jackpot sorry couldn't post solutions, but am glad. guys are already doing so ,

really gat tight schedules with school tinz & other engagements .

Nice solving

#shalom
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 6:15am On Apr 10, 2015
Miscellaneous:

lol………

I'm relaxing & I'm not with calc. here

use, y= (xtan©) - { (gx²)/(2u²cos²©)}

where;
y=vertical distance
x=horizontal distance
© = given angle
u= initial velocity

also put R= Ux • T into use

R= range
Ux = ucos©
T= flight time

also put say, Vy = usin© - gT into use;
Vy = vertical component of velocity

try it ……… u na scholar na!
lol. You too na super-scholar. Take five! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by emmyeuler1: 8:23am On Apr 10, 2015
jackpot:
lol. You too na super-scholar. Take five! cheesy
lol...........ur own na just to make fun of guyz here.......loool
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nature130: 9:17am On Apr 10, 2015
Help me with these questions ; find the values of x and y in ; x^y+y^x=17 and x+y=5. (2) find the value of x in 4^x=8x.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nature130: 9:18am On Apr 10, 2015
Richiez:
We diagnose and solve math problems here
This thread is the meeting point for nairaland math gurus...I dare anyone to ask a question in mathematics without me having an answer to them, LETS START
Help me with these questions ; find the values of x and y in ; x^y+y^x=17 and x+y=5. (2) find the value of x in 4^x=8x.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Admissnandjobs(m): 9:40am On Apr 10, 2015
hi
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Admissnandjobs(m): 10:11am On Apr 10, 2015
hi
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 3:23pm On Apr 10, 2015
benji93:

angle = 48.743
show steps, Sir
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by benji93: 4:11pm On Apr 10, 2015
jackpot:
show steps, Sir
tan theta = 28.5/25
theta = 48.743degrees
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 3:33pm On Apr 11, 2015
benji93:

tan theta = 28.5/25
theta = 48.743degrees
you're using SOHCAHTOA? ***covers face***

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nwiboazubuike(m): 7:56pm On Apr 11, 2015
Differentiate X^x^x
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 10:27pm On Apr 11, 2015
Nwiboazubuike:
Differentiate X^x^x

x^x^x[ x^x(lnx+1)lnx + x^(x-1) ]

don't ask 4 workings except u wanna learn not test our intelligence.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by factorial1(m): 10:28pm On Apr 11, 2015
Nwiboazubuike:
Differentiate X^x^x
Ok, here is the solution.
Let Y = X^x^x
firstly... let U = x^x so that... Y = X^U
Now... dy/dx will be equal to dY/dU x dU/dx
Considering U = x^x first.
Applying natural logarithm to the base of exponential to both sides... we have
lnU = lnx^x which can be written as lnU = xlnx,
Now, the derivative of the equation gives
(1/U)dU/dx = x(1/x) + lnx(1)... Using product rule. And don't forget that, U is differentiated implicitly with respected to x.
(1/U)dU/dx = 1 + lnx
Therefore dU/dx = U(1 + lnx).
Since U = x^x, therefore dU/dx = x^x(1 + lnx).

Alright, considering Y = X^U also.
Applying log into base of e to both sides... we have
lnY = UlnX... Also, following the same rule for this also... we have
(1/Y)dY/dU = U(1/x) + lnx(x^x + x^xlnx)... since du/dx = x^x + x^xlnx
(1/Y)dY/dU = x^x(1/x) + x^xlnx + x^x(lnx^2)
dY/dU = x^(x+1) + x^xlnx + x^x(lnx^2)

So therefore dY/dx = dY/dU x dU/dx

which is equal to x^(x+1) + x^xlnx + x^x(lnx^2) x x^x(1 + lnx).

Finally dY/dx = [x^(x+1) + x^xlnx + x^x(lnx^2)] X [x^x(1 + lnx)].

You can expand further by opening the bracket.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 10:34pm On Apr 11, 2015
@ factorial1 u try sir ,

differential calculus is quite cheep , but even though integral calculus is the reverse of it , its not usually funny to do so . Now in this regards , how can we then obtain back the integrand .?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by factorial1(m): 10:39pm On Apr 11, 2015
agentofchange1:
@ factorial1 u try sir ,

differential calculus is quite cheep , but even though integral calculus is the reverse of it , its not usually funny to do so . Now in this regards , how can we then obtain back the integrand .?

Lol... By finding the integral of course, which I'm sure won't be quite easy.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 10:44pm On Apr 11, 2015
Nature130:

there exist NO analytical solutions to such equations yet , except approximate or graphical

though

1) (x,y) =(2,3)=(3,2)

2) x=2

you could be the first mathematician to develop that ,

happy trying .

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 10:46pm On Apr 11, 2015
factorial1:
Lol... By finding the integral of course, which I'm sure won't be quite easy.

sure , that's the point .
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by factorial1(m): 10:47pm On Apr 11, 2015
Nature130:
May not be able to type the solutions tonight but lemme give an Hint to solving question 2.
Since 4^x = 8x... Divide both sides by 4 to get 4^(x-1) = 2x.
Don't forget 4^(x-1) can be written as (1 + 3)^(x-1)... equating that to 2x gives
(1 + 3)^(x-1) = 2x... Then solve using Binomial Expansion . The answer should be 2 and 0 cause it will surely lead to quadratic equation. Note that you only need the first 3 terms of the expansion.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by factorial1(m): 10:51pm On Apr 11, 2015
agentofchange1:

there exist NO analytical solutions to such equations yet , except approximate or graphical

though

1) (x,y) =(2,3)=(3,2)

2) x=2

you could be the first mathematician to develop that ,

happy trying .
Question 2 is solvable bro.. Try it out. Gonna lead to you using Binomial expansion.
Can't really be typing tonight... Have got a lot.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 10:57pm On Apr 11, 2015
factorial1:
May not be able to type the solutions tonight but lemme give an Hint to solving question 2.
Since 4^x = 8x... Divide both sides by 4 to get 4^(x-1) = 2x.
Don't forget 4^(x-1) can be written as (1 + 3)^(x-1)... equating that to 2x gives
(1 + 3)^(x-1) = 2x... Then solve using Binomial Expansion . The answer should be 2 and 0 cause it will surely lead to quadratic equation. Note that you only need the first 3 terms of the expansion.

nice try sir, av known of this method too but the problem is , its still an approximate, since we truncate @ the 3rd term of expansion , why not 4th or 5th or higher ?. that's because we already know the answer to be 2 by trial -by-error , which is not always the ideal way of solving mathematical problems .

Now can it work for this ?

4^x = x^4 .?

or 3x = 8^x
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by factorial1(m): 11:05pm On Apr 11, 2015
agentofchange1:

nice try sir, av known of this method too but the problem is , its still an approximate, since we truncate @ the 3rd term of expansion , why not 4th or 5th or higher ?. that's because we already know the answer to be 2 by trial -by-error , which is not always the ideal way of solving mathematical problems .

Now can it work for this ?

4^x = x^4 .?

or 3x = 8^x

Solving that question doesn't require using all the terms...as a matter of fact... not for only this question. There are some maths question that one will just have to make use of some part of the equation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) ... (284) (Reply)

DIRECT ENTRY Admission. / Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.