Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,510 members, 7,816,233 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (271) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (479914 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by naturalwaves: 9:33pm On Apr 30, 2020
jackpot:

You have 100 students only in a class. What is the expected number of students in the class that do not have birthday mates?
Unfortunately, this is not the question. I still maintain that you're confusing those 2 things. Question requires an unshared birthday and not individuals with an unshared birthday. That's one part you need to iron out to start with.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Mrshape: 9:35pm On Apr 30, 2020
naturalwaves:

You've not answered my question. From the 15 people with shared birthdays, how many birthdays are shared
15 people can share just 1 birthday.
The question how many birth dates are shared can't be answers with does information, it is a lot of possibilities
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Martinez39s(m): 9:36pm On Apr 30, 2020
jackpot:
You have 100 students only in a class. What is the expected number of students in the class that do not have birthday mates?
grin grin grin grin grin

Your question doesn't make a shred of sense, or it is incomplete. If I have 100 students in a class, I need to know their birthdays before I can know the expected number of students that have no birthday mates because there are 365100 possible ways a group of 100 students can be assigned birthdays.

Let's pick four possibilities with a class of 100:
1) If no one has a birthday mate, the expected number of students with no birthday mates is 100.
2) If only two students share the birthday and others don't have birthday mates, the expected number of students with no birthday mate is 98.
3) if three students share the same birthdays, two students share another birthday, and the rest have no birthday mates, the expected number of students with no birthday mates is 95.
4) If all students share the same birthday, the expected number of students with no birthday mates is 0.

So you see, you need to know the birthdays of each student to know the expected number of students with no birthday mates.

Edit: I could list many more possibilities. In fact, I can list a possibility to arrive at any expected number (from 0 to 100) of students with no birthday mates.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 9:38pm On Apr 30, 2020
naturalwaves:

That means that 15 players share birthdays but only 12 birthdays are shared.
no, 6+1=7. I get your point about shared birthdays but that isn't the angle of the question. wink

But I mean how many students in a group of 100 do we expect to not share their birthdays with others in the group? In other words, how many do not have birthday mates?

Like in the data, 85 didn't have birthday mates.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by naturalwaves: 9:38pm On Apr 30, 2020
Mrshape:

The question how many birth dates are shared can't be answers with does information, it is a lot of possibilities
I mean from the figure she supplied about the 15 people. She has answered that and I saw that it is 13 birthdays that were shared amongst the 15 people. I asked because I wanted to make her realize that the numbers cannot be equal.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by naturalwaves: 9:40pm On Apr 30, 2020
jackpot:
no, 6+1=7. I get your point about shared birthdays but that isn't the angle of the question. wink

But I mean how many students in a group of 100 do we expect to not share their birthdays with others in the group? In other words, how many do not have birthday mates?

Like in the data, 85 didn't have birthday mates.
I am coming. Let me check what you posted again but you got the basic drift anyway. shared birthdays may be 7 but 15 players may have a shared birthday.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by naturalwaves: 9:45pm On Apr 30, 2020
jackpot:

Among the 15 players, 6 pairs of players shared 6 different birthdays while 3 players shared the same birthday.

So, 6×2+3=15.

The rest 85 players do not have birthday mates.

See what you wrote now Jackpot
You initially said 15 have shared birthdays.
Now, 6 pairs =12
Hiw did they share different birthdays again. I think you didn't understand my question.

I actually meant that, for the number that have their birthdays shared, what is the distribution like? E. G if 15 people share birthdays, 4 can be April 30 and the remaining 11 can be May 1. That's the sort of info I requested.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 9:52pm On Apr 30, 2020
Mrshape:

That is the reason why I used expected number.

It is expected that the possibilities should cluster around a particular value (the answer in this case)

It's similar to asking "expected number of times 6 will appear in 60 tosses of a fair die". Of course, there are different possibilities but the answer is 10.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Martinez39s(m): 9:58pm On Apr 30, 2020
@Jackpot
In my last reply to you, I didn't mention that I haven't been following this thread thoroughly. Is the rephrased question you sent to me complete? Perhaps you left out the fact that certain number of people shared birthdays in a certain way. Perhaps, your rephrased question is indeed complete, and therefore irrational.

Here is my last reply:
https://www.nairaland.com/1147658/nairaland-mathematics-clinic/270#89041840
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 9:58pm On Apr 30, 2020
naturalwaves:

See what you wrote now Jackpot
You initially said 15 have shared birthdays.
Now, 6 pairs =12
Hiw did they share different birthdays again. I think you didn't understand my question.

I actually meant that, for the number that have their birthdays shared, what is the distribution like? E. G if 15 people share birthdays, 4 can be April 30 and the remaining 11 can be May 1. That's the sort of info I requested.

Okay, here's the info. I had to look for the sheet of paper that I used

2 shared 13th January
2 shared 5th February
2 shared 9th August
2 shared 31st August
3 shared 2nd October
2 shared 16th October
2 shared 16th December
Total of 15.

The rest 85 didn't have birthday mates.

I hope all is clear now?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by naturalwaves: 10:04pm On Apr 30, 2020
Thanks Mr. Shape for talking about the birthday paradox. I had to quickly read on it on wiki and then I was lucky to get this video. Please, let us take time to watch it. The dude in the video even used 100 people to illustrate from time stamp 5:33 Please, try and watch.
CC: Martinez39s, jackpot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofTb57aZHZs

Ps: The dude also got 0.00003 as his answer.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 10:07pm On Apr 30, 2020
Martinez39s:
grin grin grin grin grin

Your question doesn't make a shred of sense, or it is incomplete. If I have 100 students in a class, I need to know their birthdays before I can know the expected number of students that have no birthday mates because there are 365100 possible ways a group of 100 students can be assigned birthdays.

Let's pick four possibilities with a class of 100:
1) If no one has a birthday mate, the expected number of students with no birthday mates is 100.
2) If only two students share the birthday and others don't have birthday mates, the expected number of students with no birthday mate is 98.
3) if three students share the same birthdays, two students share another birthday, and the rest have no birthday mates, the expected number of students with no birthday mates is 95.
4) If all students share the same birthday, the expected number of students with no birthday mates is 0.

So you see, you need to know the birthdays of each student to know the expected number of students with no birthday mates.

Edit: I could list many more possibilities. In fact, I can list a possibility to arrive at any expected number (from 0 to 100) of students with no birthday mates.
that is why we are assuming a random group of 100 nah.

By the way, in a random experiment of the question, the possiblity of the cases you mentioned happening is almost zero.

See, I believe that we are learning.

Download that PDF and run the experiment with the last 100 players. Tell me your result. wink
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by naturalwaves: 10:08pm On Apr 30, 2020
jackpot:

Okay, here's the info. I had to look for the sheet of paper that I used

2 shared 13th January
2 shared 5th February
2 shared 9th August
2 shared 31st August
3 shared 2nd October
2 shared 16th October
2 shared 16th December
Total of 15.

The rest 85 didn't have birthday mates.

I hope all is clear now?

Thanks for the clarification.
This is my points exactly.
Based on this example, 15 people have shared birthdays but the number of shared birthdays is just 7. That's the difference I was talking about.

The question requires.... Number of unshared birthdays from the group and not number of students with an unshared birthday.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 10:24pm On Apr 30, 2020
naturalwaves:
Thanks Mr. Shape for talking about the birthday paradox. I had to quickly read on it on wiki and then I was lucky to get this video. Please, let us take time to watch it. The dude in the video even used 100 people to illustrate from time stamp 5:33 Please, try and watch.
CC: Martinez39s, jackpot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofTb57aZHZs

my question is different from the birthday paradox. Birthday paradox has it's origin in the probability of at least a member of a group of size k (an integer>2) having a birthday mate.

But birthday paradox helps a bit to understand the question.

If the probability that a member of a group having a birthday mate in a group of 100 is 99.99997%, one can infer that on average those that have birthday mate(s) in a random group of 100 are a significant number x.

I'm looking for (100-x) being number of those that don't have birthday mates.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Mrshape: 10:24pm On Apr 30, 2020
3 in ten million that's the answer
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Mrshape: 10:25pm On Apr 30, 2020
jackpot:
my question is different from the birthday paradox. Birthday paradox has it's origin in the probability of at least a member of a group of size k (an integer>2) having a birthday mate.

If the probability that a member of a group having a birthday mate in a group of 100 is 99.99997%, one can infer that on average those that have birthday mate(s) in a random group of 100 are a significant number x.

3 out of 10000000 people
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Mrshape: 10:26pm On Apr 30, 2020
naturalwaves:

Based on this example, 15 people have shared birthdays but the number of shared birthdays is just 7. That's the difference I was talking about.

The question requires.... Number of unshared birthdays from the group and not number of students with an unshared birthday.

That was not the question she asked before she said number of people who do not share birth date

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by naturalwaves: 10:29pm On Apr 30, 2020
jackpot:

I think I get what you are trying to say now

Modified :
....... but you must realize that what you're asking is impossible to determine without towing the probability lane. The best we can do is to calculate the probability of an unshared birthday and then tweak it. Take for instance if the probability of an unshared birthday is 1/5. It means that for every 5 people, 1 won't share birthday and since we are looking at a total of 100 students, you will get 20 students in all as what you desire.

Unfortunately, in this case the probability is marginal and the number you require is about 3 in a 10 million samples or something like that.

Cc: jackpot, Mr. Shape
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 10:35pm On Apr 30, 2020
naturalwaves:

Okay.
naturalwaves:

my question remains number of students that do not share their birthdays with any other group members.

However, what you asked is another different legit question.

Maybe you should pose this question formally? I'll be happy to attempt it.

Can you run an experiment with the last 100 players in the PDF file and give your findings regarding:

1. Number of unshared birthdays?
2. Number that do not have birthday mates?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 10:44pm On Apr 30, 2020
Mrshape:

3 out of 10000000 people
when a random experiment gave me 85 without birthday mates (and 15 with birthday mates) out of 100 grin grin grin

If anything, the two are not close. Random experiments often give clue to magnitude of the answer.

Try and run the experiment with a section of the players data. It helps to appreciate results when they come.

But you may use a consecutive 100 players for the experiment to have semblance of randomness wink
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Mrshape: 10:49pm On Apr 30, 2020
jackpot:
when a random experiment gave me 85 without birthday mates (and 15 with birthday mates) out of 100 grin grin grin

If anything, the two are not close. Random experiments often give clue to magnitude of the answer.

Try and run the experiment with a section of the players data. It helps to appreciate results when they come.

But you may use a consecutive 100 players for the experiment to have semblance of randomness wink
But random experiment can also give 100 with birth day mates and zero without birthday mate
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by naturalwaves: 10:50pm On Apr 30, 2020
jackpot:

A random sample can also give you 0 people without birthday mates in a size of 100.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Martinez39s(m): 11:38pm On Apr 30, 2020
jackpot:
that is why we are assuming a random group of 100 nah.

By the way, in a random experiment of the question, the possiblity of the cases you mentioned happening is almost zero.

See, I believe that we are learning.

Download that PDF and run the experiment with the last 100 players. Tell me your result. wink
My reasoning is valid for a randomly selected group of 100 students. In fact, throughout this thread, based on my presumption of what your question could possibly mean (as you stated it at first), I have been working with the idea that the group of 100 students were randomly selected.

Let me explain something. When you randomly select a group of 100 students, you have randomly selected a group of 100 birthdays. Each selected birthday has been selected from 365 possible birthdays (dates in a year), and repetition is allowed as you randomly select other birthdays in the group of 100 birthdays. Using the selection of humans, the emboldened statement is tantamount to saying each person from the randomly selected group of hundred has a birthday that is one of the 365 dates (birthdays) in a year, and a person in the group could have a birthday mate in the group (remember that repetition of birthdays is allowed).

When you want to randomly selecting a group of 100 people (birthdays), here are some possible logical questions you can ask if no further information is given or no possible consideration is made (assuming a year contains 365 days):
(1) What is the probability that no two people share the same birthday?
Ans: 365P100 ÷ 365100 = 365! ÷ (265! × 365100) = 0.00000030725

(2) What is the probability that at least two people share the same a birthday
Ans: 1 – (365P100 ÷ 365100) = 1 – [365! ÷ (265! × 365100)] = 0.99999969275
Naturalwaves got this, but he applied it to your question which doesn't have anything to do with probability.

(3) What is the number of ways of selecting a group of hundred people such that no two shares the same birthday.
Ans: 365P100 = 365!/265!

If the question has order disregarded, your answer is 365C100 = 365!/(100! × 265!)

(4) What is the number ways of selecting a group of hundred people such that at least two have the same birthday
365100365P100 = 365100 – (365!/265!)

This question of yours doesn't make sense:
Either you mistakenly left out something or you didn't state the question properly. If this question is complete, and there is nothing more to it, then it's illogical even if you have a unique group of 100 students or a randomly selected group of 100 students.

MrShape, naturalwaves,
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 11:43pm On Apr 30, 2020
naturalwaves:

A random sample can also give you 0 people without birthday mates in a size of 100.
That's like 1 in 100 cubic trillion trillion chance. grin grin grin

That's why I am saying you should run the experiment. Let's see possibility of getting zero. cheesy wink

I bet that any random sample of 100 that you chose at random will give you about 15-30 persons with birthday mates. That's also surprising considering the fact that there are 365 days in our year.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Martinez39s(m): 11:57pm On Apr 30, 2020
jackpot:
That's like 1 in 100 cubic trillion trillion chance. grin grin grin

That's why I am saying you should run the experiment. Let's see possibility of getting zero. cheesy wink

I bet that any random sample of 100 that you chose at random will give you about 15-30 persons with birthday mates. That's also surprising considering the fact that there are 365 days in our year.
The chances of winning a mega lottery in the United States of America is approximately 0 yet people still win. It would therefore be false to say that ANY person who plays the lottery will fail. The fact that a large group of people played the lottery 200 times without success isn't proof that no one can win the lottery. The odds of an event might be very large, but as long as the probability of that event isn't exactly 0 then that event can happen.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 11:58pm On Apr 30, 2020
naturalwaves:

I think I get what you are trying to say now

Modified :
....... but you must realize that what you're asking is impossible to determine without towing the probability lane. The best we can do is to calculate the probability of an unshared birthda.y and then tweak it. Take for instance if the probability of an unshared birthday is 1/5. It means that for every 5 people, 1 won't share birthday and since we are looking at a total of 100 students, you will get 20 students in all as what you desire.

Unfortunately, in this case the probability is marginal and the number you require is about 3 in a 10 million samples or something like that.

Cc: jackpot, Mr. Shape
It's actually very possible to determine by going experimentally.

The hard way is to run the experiment about ten thousand times using a PC and find the average.

The easy way should be probability distribution functions and expected values from statistics. I strongly feel so.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 12:09am On May 01, 2020
Martinez39s:
The chances of winning a mega lottery in the United States of America is approximately 0 yet people still win. It would therefore be false to say that ANY person who plays the lottery will fail. The odds of an evening might be very large, but as long as the probability of that event isn't exactly 0 then that event can happen.
i know, but try first kiss

I bet you might even get up to 23 players with birthday mates if you run the experiment. wink cheesy
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Martinez39s(m): 12:13am On May 01, 2020
jackpot:
i know, but try first kiss

I bet you might even get up to 23 players with birthday mates if you run the experiment. wink cheesy
Sure! grin Even though any outcome is possible, I will way most likely get at least two people with the same birthday. This is because the probability of having at least two people with the same birthday is 0.99999969275 (99.999969275% chance). grin The probability of not having anyone with a birthday mate is 0.00000030725 (0.000030725% chance). So you see that event of having a selection in which no one has a birthday mate is a rare one just like winning a mega lottery. I calculated these probabilities in a post of mine to you. wink

MrShape, naturalwaves, Jackpot

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jackpot(f): 12:21am On May 01, 2020
Martinez39s:
My reasoning is valid for a randomly selected group of 100 students. In fact, throughout this thread, based on my presumption of what your question could possibly mean (as you stated it at first), I have been working with the idea that the group of 100 students were randomly selected.

Let me explain something. When you randomly select a group of 100 students, you have randomly selected a group of 100 birthdays. Each selected birthday has been selected from 365 possible birthdays (dates in a year), and repetition is allowed as you randomly select other birthdays in the group of 100 birthdays. Using the selection of humans, the emboldened statement is tantamount to saying each person from the randomly selected group of hundred has a birthday that is one of the 365 dates (birthdays) in a year, and a person in the group could have a birthday mate in the group (remember that repetition of birthdays is allowed).

When you want to randomly selecting a group of 100 people (birthdays), here are some possible logical questions you can ask if no further information is given or no possible consideration is made (assuming a year contains 365 days):
(1) What is the probability that no two people share the same birthday?

(2) What is the probability that at least two people share the same a birthday Naturalwaves got this, but he applied it to your question with doesn't have anything to do with probability.

(3) What is the number of ways of selecting a group of hundred people such that no two shares the same birthday.

(4) What is the number ways of selecting a group of hundred people such that at least two have the same birthday
It's unfair to tag what we don't understand as illogical wink kiss

If I see a question that is indeterminate, I will know.

For instance, do you know that some great guys think that that angle question I posted earlier was not complete? Yet, Mrshape and others dealt mercilessly with the question here.

Martinez39s:

This question of yours doesn't make sense: Either you mistakenly left out something or you didn't state the question properly. If this question is complete, and there is nothing more to it, then it's illogical even if you have a unique group of 100 students or a randomly selected group of 100 students.

MrShape, naturalwaves,

Do you know that questions like the following have an answer? shocked

Let a, b, c be real numbers selected randomly from the interval (0, 1). What is the probability that the quadratic equation ax²+bx+c=0 has at least one real solution? grin

Just imagine where one will start. shocked Mine is better that it can even be experimented cheesy
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Martinez39s(m): 12:54am On May 01, 2020
@Jackpot

Here is an edited post of mine explaining your observation on the experiment of randomly selecting 100 people (I wrote this when you asked me to try the experiment):
Martinez39s:
Sure! grin Even though any outcome is possible, I will way most likely get at least two people with the same birthday. This is because the probability of having at least two people with the same birthday is 0.99999969275 (99.999969275% chance). grin The probability of not having anyone with a birthday mate is 0.00000030725 (0.000030725% chance). So you see that the event of having a selection in which no one has a birthday mate is a very very very rare one just like winning a mega lottery. I calculated these probabilities in a post of mine to you. wink

MrShape, naturalwaves,
From these probabilities, you can see why you keep getting people with the same birthdays in your selection—the odds are greatly stacked in your favour (you have a 99.999969275% chance of getting at least two people with the same birthday). grin This is the same reason why people keep getting unsuccessful in their attempt to win the lottery— the odds are incredibly stacked against them. The popular Mega Millions multi-state lottery has odds of approximately 1 in 175,711,536. This is a 0.000000569% chance.

jackpot:

It's unfair to tag what we don't understand as illogical wink kiss
If I see a question that is indeterminate, I will know.
Nah! *yimu* Your question wasn't properly phrased, and it didn't make sense the way you presented it. I now understand what you were trying to ask. You should have asked "if 100 people are selected randomly what's the LIKELY number (or Likely range of number) of people who have birthday mates? grin grin grin This question is incredibly difficult to solve, that's if it has an answer.

For instance, do you know that some great guys think that that angle question I posted earlier was not complete? Yet, Mrshape and others dealt mercilessly with the question here.
The angle question is complete; I never thought it wasn't. Any mathematician who thinks that question isn't complete isn't that great afterall.

Do you know that questions like the following have an answer? shocked

Let a, b, c be real numbers selected randomly from the interval (0, 1). What is the probability that the quadratic equation ax²+bx+c=0 has at least one real solution? grin

Just imagine where one will start. shocked Mine is better that it can even be experimented cheesy
Ahhh! I won't even bother with this question. I can't kill myself.

MrShape, naturalwaves
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Mrshape: 1:18am On May 01, 2020
Martinez39s:
@Jackpot

Here is an edited post of mine explaining your observation on the experiment of randomly selecting 100 people (I wrote this when you asked me to try the experiment): From these probabilities, you can see why you keep getting people with the same birthdays in your selection—the odds are greatly stacked in your favour (you have a 99.999969275% chance of getting at least two people with the same birthday). grin This is the same reason why people keep getting unsuccessful in their attempt to win the lottery— the odds are incredibly stacked against them. The popular Mega Millions multi-state lottery has odds of approximately 1 in 175,711,536. This is a 0.000000569% chance.

Nah! *yimu* Your question wasn't properly phrased, and it didn't make sense the way you presented it. I now understand what you were trying to ask. You should have asked "if 100 people are selected randomly what's the LIKELY number (or Likely range of number) of people who have birthday mates? grin grin grin This question is incredibly difficult to solve, that's if it has an answer.

The angle question is complete; I never thought it wasn't. Any mathematician who thinks that question isn't complete isn't that great afterall.

Ahhh! I won't even bother with this question. I can't kill myself.

MrShape, naturalwaves
Lol. I will try that tomorrow I am tired too o.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Martinez39s(m): 1:24am On May 01, 2020
Mrshape:

Lol. I will try that tomorrow I am tired too o.
grin I don't think I would ever try it. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) ... (284) (Reply)

DIRECT ENTRY Admission. / Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.