Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,076 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (480236 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Worldlife: 8:51am On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:

At Equilibrum Supply = Demand
Solve using simultaneous equation
=
p = 7 - 2q

Substitute into equation one to yield 9q2 - 56q + 87 = 0

p = 1 q = 3

Alternate soln p = 0.56 q = 3.22

thank for ur gesture i appreciate.

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Worldlife: 2:36pm On Mar 23, 2013
Worldlife: Hello guru pls help me with this:
Q1 use inverse method and gaussia elimination to solve the follow.
X+2y+3z=5
3x-y+2z =8
4x-6y-4z=-2

Q2 solve the equetion:
1. 2*4x+1=8
2. 3y+1=9y-2
3.10x=0.000001
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 3:09pm On Mar 23, 2013
Nice work biolabee, it's been a while; how have you been?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by biolabee(m): 3:57pm On Mar 23, 2013
doubleDx: Nice work biolabee, it's been a while; how have you been?

Oga mii ive been around o.. one, the thing was becoming too complex for me you know say na night school i go grin cheesy and secondly it seemed some people were just bringing up variants of the same problem with no attempt to even think through and learn undecided..

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by johnpaul1101(m): 7:12pm On Mar 23, 2013
Goodevening richiez and all other respected generals here, please i have a question, how can you calculate for square root without the use of calculator?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 7:33pm On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:

Oga mii ive been around o.. one, the thing was becoming too complex for me you know say na night school i go grin cheesy and secondly it seemed some people were just bringing up variants of the same problem with no attempt to even think through and learn undecided..

Right on point bruv! LMAO @ the bolded part grin grin grin

johnpaul1101: Goodevening richiez and all other respected generals here, please i have a question, how can you calculate for square root without the use of calculator?

^ Binomial expansion: If √(z) = √(a(x + 1/a) = √(a).[(x + 1/a)]^(1/2). Expanding [(x + 1/a)]^(1/2) using binomial theorem and multiplying the result by √(a) gives you the answer. It's quite easy if 'z' can be expressed in terms of 'a and x' such that a = perfect square!

Eg===>>

√10 can be rewritten as =>

= √[9(1 + 1/9)]
= 3√(1 + 1/9)
= 3 (1 + 1/9)^(1/2)
Expanding the bolded part yields =>
= 3[1 + (1/2)(1/9) + (1/2)(-1/2)(1/9)2/2! + (1/2)(-1/2)(-3/2)(1/9)3/3! + ....]
Simplifying further yields =>
= 3[ 1.0541 approx]
= 3.162 approx

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by BecaciaBarbie(f): 2:16pm On Mar 24, 2013
Wooow! I love Mathematicians!!!

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by biolabee(m): 2:41pm On Mar 24, 2013
Becacia_Barbie: Wooow! I love Mathematicians!!!

welcome...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by BecaciaBarbie(f): 7:35pm On Mar 24, 2013
biolabee:

welcome...
thank you... smiley
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by tearie: 8:22pm On Mar 24, 2013
Wao! Been going thru this thread and I'm really impressed. Unfortunately, maths was my nightmare in secondary school. Had to leave science class in my SS 3 just cos of maths, even though I was doing well in Bio, Phy and Chem and every other subject. Anytime the maths teacher came in and started writing the numbers and symbols, I would begin to feel dizzy. After my Uni, I tried to go for math lessons and wrote WAEC GCE, but I still got a pass, not credit. I cried when I saw the result. Felt so ashamed of myself. Most annoying part is I got distinctions and credits in all the other 7 subjects that I didn't even study for.
Anyway, kudos to you guys.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by biolabee(m): 8:47pm On Mar 24, 2013
@tearie
its ok, a lot of the people that struggle with maths are that way because of introduction methods
It then seems to be a chore instead of fun

no wahala
Welcome to the thread.....

If you have any need for help in any subject, im sure you can get help

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 12:16am On Mar 25, 2013
@Generals Biolabee, doubledx and ositadama, you've all done a great job keeping the thread rolling.
@Admirers and new friends in the thread, your comments has fueled our courage. we are here to uplift eachother so feel free and let's relate!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by biolabee(m): 12:28am On Mar 25, 2013
Tuale to you Sir Richiez
smiley

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 8:28am On Mar 25, 2013
I am greatly impressed with what you have done here... I am interested in this thread... I want to get a job as a maths/f.maths teacher as soon as I am done with NYSC in the Ministry..... I will try to answer a few questions here myself... Thanks
Chibuzor...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 9:00am On Mar 25, 2013
@chibuzor u'r highly welcomed, ur contributions wud be of great help.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 9:50am On Mar 25, 2013
Richiez: @chibuzor u'r highly welcomed, ur contributions wud be of great help.

I had huge problems with Real Analysis (Abstract Algebra) While in School, I had to do a lot of cramming to pass the exams. I studied later to catch up tho... I know a lot of people will have the same problem.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 12:28pm On Mar 25, 2013
@chibuzor, wise man! well i'v answered some questions on pigeonhole principle. buh i think, groups, rings, field e.t.c are more used terms when we talk of abstract algebra.pls can u explain wot these terms are?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by biolabee(m): 1:17pm On Mar 25, 2013
** Love this ** more opportunity to learn some more cheesy
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Ayowumie(m): 2:19pm On Mar 25, 2013
Hi guys,

I have some difficulty in critiquing a statistical report (ANOVA and Linear regression), can anyone be of help pls.
my email address is: mailay2day@yahoo.com
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 2:58pm On Mar 25, 2013
@Richiez... Yeah I ll do some explanation in the evening... I am at work at the moment...
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 3:19pm On Mar 25, 2013
echibuzor: @Richiez... Yeah I ll do some explanation in the evening... I am at work at the moment...
okay bro! wow here comes anoda general
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 5:45pm On Mar 25, 2013
Richiez: @chibuzor, wise man! well i'v answered some questions on pigeonhole principle. buh i think, groups, rings, field e.t.c are more used terms when we talk of abstract algebra.pls can u explain wot these terms are?

A group is a set of elements together with an operation that combines any two of its elements to form a third element also in the set while satisfying four conditions called the group axioms (Axioms are statements/facts that are undisputable (more or less)...). The Axioms are; (1) Closure, (2) Associativity (3) Identity, (4) Invertibility. Popular examples of Group is the INTEGER, NATURAL NUMBERS....
The above definition is from Google (Edited by me)

Illustration...
For a Group of Integers..
Two elements (3 and 4) operation +
3 + 4 = 7 and 7 is also a member of the group Integer (This fact is called Closure).

(3 + 4) + 5 = 3 + (4 + 5) = 12 (Associativity)

Identity element is that which when combined with another element in the group with an operation returns the latter element e.g 3 + 0 = 3 (0 is the identity element of addition). 3 * 1 = 3 (1 is the identity element for multiplication)

The illustration for Invetibility is simply too long to put here and i dont want to copy and paste.. please google it and ask question about it... Others are coming right up...

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 7:01pm On Mar 25, 2013
A Ring is an algebraic system consisting of a set, an identity element (see my previous post), two operations and the inverse of the first operation...
Example... ring R = {S, 01, 02, 1} where S is the set of Real numbers (You all know what Real Numbers are right?) , 01 is the opeartion of addition, the inverse of which is subtraction, 02 is the operation of multiplication, 1 is the identity element which for for addition (which is the first operation) is zero (0).

Still too abstract right? Lets get practical...

A ring is mostly called Commutative ring because Commutativity (Google) must be met before a Set of elements can be called a RING..

Illustration...

Let R (Real Numbers) be a set on which two binary operations (A binary operation is an opeation that needs exactly two inputs before it can return an output) are defined, Operations are Addition +, and Multiplication *.

Then R is a Commutative Ring if the following axioms hold...
(1) Closure - If a,b R, (Please ask quetion if you dont undastand notations) then the sum a+b and the product a*b are uniquely defined (returns an output) and belong to the set R (Closure)

(2) Associative Laws (Associativity) - For all a,b,c R, a+(b+c) = (a+b)+c and a*(b*c) = (a*b)*c. (See previous post)

(3) Commutativity - For all a,b R, a+b = b+a and a*b = b*a

(4) Distributivity - For all a,b,c R, a*(b+c) = a*b + a*c and (a+b)*c = a*c + b*c.

(5) Identity - The set R contains and an additive identity element, denoted by 0 (identity for addition which is the first operation in our example) such that for all a R, a+0 = a and 0+a = a.

(6) Inverse - For each a R, the equations a+x = 0 and x+a = 0 have a solution x R, (x R, is read as x is a member of the set R) called the additive ( our first operation) inverse of a and is denoted as -a.

You can read more on this and ask your questions but to explain in respect in its simplest form; a Ring is Group with two operations, identity of the first operation, inverse of the first operation, and it obeys the axioms of a group plus its commutative and distributive.. Thats all on Rings for now.... Next up is Fields....

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 7:28pm On Mar 25, 2013
A field is a ring with inverses and identity for the two operations... (Thats explanatory enuf right?)

Illustrations.....

A Field F = {S,01,02,11,12} where S is the set, 01 is the first operation (lets say addition), the inverse of which is subtraction, 02 is the second operation (lets say Multiplication), the inverse of which is division, 11 is the identity of the first operation (in this case (0) for addition) and 12 is the identity of the second operation (in this case (1) for multiplication)

Bear in mind that it must satisfy all the conditions which are required for a Ring (See my previous post)...
I think that wraps it for now.........

@Ayowumie... Its not possible to discuss/teach ANOVA from the scratch over the internet....... You read up and ask questions...
Thank you...
Chibuzor
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 12:16am On Mar 26, 2013
@chibuzor i'm extremely impressed. 10ks
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 6:02am On Mar 26, 2013
Richiez: @chibuzor i'm extremely impressed. 10ks

You are welcome chief... Its my pleasure to be of service....
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 9:52am On Mar 26, 2013
If anyone has questions on Modelling and Simulation, Operations Research, Queue Theory, Markov Chain... They should post them. These are some of the areas of mathematics that cuts across several Fields... And of course Calculus.. We all can learn a thing or too.. No man is an island of knowledge.....

Chibuzor...

I have a trick Question coming up... Its on Modeling...

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Richiez(m): 10:34am On Mar 26, 2013
hmmm, this i getting more and more interesting!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 2:33pm On Mar 26, 2013
First let someone derive a comprehensive Malthusian Growth model and then we can begin from there...

I havent tried solving this question, saw it on the internet. But, hey! lets see what you got...

The population of a country is 6 million in 2010 and growing at a rate of 1.4% each year. If the rate of population growth remains constant, the population will reach 24 million in...

Its an objective question but I did not include in my CTRL C.....

Chibuzor
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 2:44pm On Mar 26, 2013
And here comes another one....
This actually the trick Question...

(a) The population of the world was 5.28 billion in 1990 and 6.07 in 2000. Find an exponential model for these data and use the model to predict the world pop. in the year 2020?

According to the model in part (a), when will the world pop. exceed to 10 billion?

Using the data in part (a) to find a logistic model for the pop. Assume a carrying capacity of 100 billion. Then use the model to predict the pop. in 2020.

According to the logistic model, when will the world pop. exceed 10 billion?
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by echibuzor: 6:24pm On Mar 26, 2013
I am having a go at the first question...
Malthusian Growth model also known as the Exponential Model...

Change in Population is directly proportional to Change in Time..

dP @ dt
dP = k dt
§dP = k§dt
Ln P = kt + c
P = e^[kt + c)
P = e^ (kt) * e^c [let e^c =A)
P = Ae^kt....... [i]
{at t = 0, P = P© [ read P© as P not [peanut]]
P© = Ae^k0
P© = A...
P<t> = P© e^kt........

For the calculation, I got 2109.something...

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (284) (Reply)

DIRECT ENTRY Admission. / Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.