Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,000 members, 7,825,100 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance (16451 Views)

Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance Exam / Admission At Federal School Of Dental Technology And Therapy Enugu State / Nursing School Entrance Examination: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by babymama3: 8:42pm On Jan 02, 2013
The 104 Federal Government Colleges, aka Unity Schools, were established to unify the country through interaction by pupils from various parts of the country. This laudable aim is far from being attained as the schools are evolving into regional based colleges. KOFOWOROLA BELO-OSAGIE, ADEGUNLE OLUGBAMILA and CLARICE AZUATALAM report.

MANY parents believe so much in the Federal Government Colleges (FGCs), aka Unity Schools. They do everything possible to get their children into these schools.

The Nation visited FGC Ijanikin, Queen’s College, Yaba, FGC, Enugu, FGC, Jos, FGC, Ikole-Ekiti, FGGC, Efon-Alaye, King’s College, Lagos, Federal Science and Technical College, Yaba, FGC, Awka, FGGC, Calabar, FGGC, Abuloma, FGC, Umuahia, and FGGC, Ipetumodu, where many of the principals and teachers told our reporters to direct their queries to the Federal Ministry of Education, Abuja.

The National Examinations Council (NECO) conducts the National Common Entrance Examination (NCEE) for admission into the 104 single sex and co-educational colleges. Each state is assigned cut-off points based on performance of its candidates in the examination.

The states with the largest number of good scores have higher cut-off points than others.

For instance, while Anambra was assigned a cut-off of 136, Imo, 135, Abia, 128, and Delta, 126;[size=18pt] educationally-disadvantaged states like Kebbi had 35, Jigawa, 33, Taraba, 29, Sokoto, 27 and Yobe, zero[/size].

At the beginning of every session, when new Junior Secondary School (JSS1) and Senior School (SS1) pupils are admitted, principals are bombarded with requests for admission by parents who keep vigil in their offices daily. Many among the parents usually do not understand why their children are not taken on the merit list though they made better scores than others from less performing states.

A parent, who did not want to be named, decried the situation, saying quality was sacrificed on the altar of quota – given that a pupil who scored above 140 was not admitted while candidates from states with zero cut-off point were admitted.

The Principal of King’s College, Lagos, Otunba Dele Olapeju, denied his claim. He said none of the candidates admitted scored zero, rather the colleges admit based on levels of merit.

“What we do in selecting candidates admitted on state and environmental bases is to pick those with the best scores that applied from each state. At King’s College, we admitted three candidates from each state. None of the candidates scored zero. Why Yobe had a cut-off of zero is because if 80 candidates are supposed to be admitted by all the Unity Schools nationwide and only 60 applied, then it means all of them will be admitted so it negates the cut-off,” he said.

He said if merit alone was employed the Unity Schools would not achieve federal character.

“For instance in the last examination out of 6,000 candidates that made the national cut-off, Anambra State had the lion’s share. Between Imo and Anambra, they took a sixth of the national merit. You cannot blame them for being brilliant. However, if all Anambra candidates are admitted there will be no unity colleges,” he said.

Despite all states having slots in each college, pupils no longer travel from all over the country to attend the colleges. Teachers said those admitted from the North into schools in other regions do not honour the admission. In almost all cases, they said those that do, have their parents living or working in the environment.

A teacher at the Federal Government Girls’ College (FGGC), Calabar, Cross River State, blamed this trend on the insecurity in the country.

“The problem now is the response. It is not all candidates of students offered admission that accept it. In the past you could have students from all the states, but you cannot get that now because of the situation in the country. Someone in Akwa Ibom State now would not let his children go to Maiduguri, Borno State capital, and vice versa, so that is really a problem.”

It is the same story at the Federal Government College (FGC), Ijanikin, Lagos. The Principal, Mrs Oyewole-Ibukun, said: “What happens is that we don’t usually get candidates from the North in this region. I’m not talking about this school alone but in the entire South, though I don’t know why this is so. But I can tell you I received a candidate from Yobe State who scored 156.”

Rather than reflecting the whole country, the Unity Schools attract pupils mainly from the geo-political zone where they are. For instance, at Federal Science and Technical College (FSTC), Awka, Anambra State, most of the pupils admitted are from the Southeast; the outsiders, especially from the North or western states are those born in the state.

A teacher at the FSTC, Yaba, Lagos said when quotas of some states are empty, they are filled with pupils from other states.

“Most of them that were registered as northern pupil’s are not actually from the North. Probably, they are northerners by birth but their parents are based here in Lagos. My own children were registered as North’s candidates while they are not just to make up the quota.”

A source at the FGGC Abuloma, Port Harcourt, River State also said if a particular state, say Yobe, is given about 15 slots and at the end only two from that state turn up, the remaining slots would be left for the principal and senior teachers to fill up with their own persons.

“Getting admission through this connection means that money must exchange hands. If the leg of a parent whose child is on merit list is not strong, the child might even be dropped,” the source said.

Another source said a parent was forced to give up his child’s admission because he could not pay the N100,000 demanded by the school authority.

The pressure that teachers face during the admission process is so tough that some principals avoid their offices or bar visitors. A teacher at FGC, Ikole-Ekiti, said teachers generally find it rough during admission period such that those with tendencies for high BP are especially miserable during the season as even candidates with critically low marks demand attention and seek pity.

“When he couldn’t meet up, he had to give up the admission,” the source said.

In terms of the ability of pupils admitted with less-than-excellent scores to cope with the academic demands of the colleges, many of the teachers said they ultimately adapt and even excel.

A teacher at the FGGC, Oyo, said because a candidate comes from an educationally disadvantaged state does not mean he or she would be dull academically.

He said: “Dullness and brilliance are not peculiar to any state or group. Just as we have some pupils from Southwest repeating classes here, so we have them from other regions. The ‘equity of states’ consideration is just to allow the admission process to open access to all qualified candidate irrespective of where they hail from. They always blend. They cope eventually because their mates drive them inadvertently. The environment helps them blend; after a session or two you will hardly notice when they are graduating.”

The ability of children from such backgrounds to improve is also helped by extra efforts by their teachers. A teacher at FGC, Ijanikin said poor pupils are encouraged to improve.

“In this school, we do not believe in advising poor students to withdraw. We (teachers) always take such situation as a challenge and put in our best until such a child improves,” the source said.

Another source at King’s College, Lagos attested to this fact.

He said: “I taught at Queen’s College, Yaba for 15 years and we once had a girl who could not speak a word of English. The principal at that time, asked me to interpret when she asked how she was admitted. The girl said she was just told by her father that she was going to Lagos. The next day, the principal called the head of the English Department and told her that if the school is, indeed, a change agent let this girl be a test case. She mandated the teacher to ensure that the girl became like the rest of the girls by the end of three months, and it was so.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/education/merit-quota-and-unity-schools/

Are we in the same country?
How can my child have a cut off mark of 135 to get into a school and her fellow student from somewhere else requires 30 or zero?
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by seanet01: 8:49pm On Jan 02, 2013
This is madness. What nonsense.
They can as well start giving them Bachelor's Degree without writing JAMB.
This country is a dilapidated desert

1 Like

Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by eaglechild: 8:55pm On Jan 02, 2013
This does not make sense.
It means all i need to do is state that my child is from Yobe state.
On the exam day, he just has to appear, stare at the ceiling and hand in his papers at the end and voila! he gains admission into a unity school.
Meanwhile if he states Anambra with a score of 135 he is kicked out!
QUOTA SYSTEM IS THE STRONGEST FACTOR THAT HAS LED TO THE DOWNFALL OF EDUCATION IN THIS COUNTRY!

4 Likes

Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by koruji(m): 8:58pm On Jan 02, 2013
We will know when real transformation comes to Nigeria because such a leader will clear away this rut and still leave the country more united than ever.
Our current Mr. Transformation is a see-no-evil do nothing person - how can you transform a country like that.

seanet01: This is madness. What nonsense.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by babymama3: 9:08pm On Jan 02, 2013
seanet01: This is madness. What nonsense.

And these are the same folks that will rise to rule the country just by virtue of their state of origin
And we wonder why the country is messed up.

How does one justify a student barred admission for getting 135 in one state and another gets in with 29 or zero sef
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by seanet01: 9:16pm On Jan 02, 2013
baby_mama:

And these are the same folks that will rise to rule the country just by virtue of their state of origin
And we wonder why the country is messed up.

How does one justify a student barred admission for getting 135 in one state and another gets in with 29 or zero sef
I don't even know what to do. This is nothing but Pure madness.
The people who drafted this type of nonsense should be taken to the woods and bullets pumped on their heads
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by seanet01: 9:19pm On Jan 02, 2013
koruji: We will know when real transformation comes to Nigeria because such a leader will clear away this rut and still leave the country more united than ever.
Our current Mr. Transformation is a see-no-evil do nothing person - how can you transform a country like that.

Egbon mi, i tire for this country o.

1 Like

Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jan 02, 2013
Lot of things in this country just don't make sense.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by vladimiros: 9:28pm On Jan 02, 2013
NORTHERN NIGERIANS
WHERE ARE THOU TO DEFEND THIS?

WHERE? WHERE ART THOU?
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jan 02, 2013
Do parents still allow their wards go to unity schools? Gone are those days when people crave for unity schools.i went to a unity girls' school between 91 and 97.back then candidate's result were been bought over.i scored 544 in my first attempt in pry 5,got admission in fggc owerri and before i knew what was happening my prospectus was that of fggc bauchi.my parents refused me going.i repeated the exam in pry 6,scored 556,got the same admission in fggc owerri,and got a prospectus of fggc gusau! Well,i had to go to zamfara state finally.back then there was massive corruption in the federal ministry of education.am shocked that unity schools now use quota system for admission.back then it wasnt really like that.it such a shame.unity schools have lost its glory.

1 Like

Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by Maxymilliano(m): 9:50pm On Jan 02, 2013
I got wind of this obnoxious arrangement after reading a write up by Steve Osuji in the Nation Newspaper few months ago, lamenting the fate that befell his daughter after successfully scaling through the admissionexams into Queens college, only to be denied the fruit of her hard work' coz of an institutionalized quota arrangement that only breeds mediocrity

Below is a link to the story, it makes an interesting reading

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/steve-osuji/queens-college-admission-letter-of-apology-to-my-daughter/
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by ektbear: 10:00pm On Jan 02, 2013
wowza.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by babymama3: 10:27pm On Jan 02, 2013
berem: Do parents still allow their wards go to unity schools? Gone are those days when people crave for unity schools.i went to a unity girls' school between 91 and 97.back then candidate's result were been bought over.i scored 144 in my first attempt in pry 5,got admission in fggc owerri and before i knew what was happening my prospectus was that of fggc bauchi.my parents refused me going.i repeated the exam in pry 6,scored 156,got the same admission in fggc owerri,and got a prospectus of fggc gusau! Well,i had to go to zamfara state finally.back then there was massive corruption in the federal ministry of education.am shocked that unity schools now use quota system for admission.back then it wasnt really like that.it such a shame.unity schools have lost its glory.

I went to an FGGC before you
Quota has always been
I remember then our headmistress at school always made it clear to us that being from Imo state,we had to work twice as hard since the surest way to get in was merit list, where 30% into each school was chosen from.
This was before the selling of results.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by taharqa: 10:28pm On Jan 02, 2013
Wondaful!! cheesy
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jan 02, 2013
Do they change the cut off mark yearly or they use a different scale? Because during my time the cut of mark for Anambra state was at 454 or so. Other states too were in the 400's.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by Collins93304: 10:55pm On Jan 02, 2013
taharqa:
Wondaful!! cheesy

I see mallam is very happy with the rewards that come with owning Nijeria.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by babymama3: 10:56pm On Jan 02, 2013
stillwater: Do they change the cut off mark yearly or they use a different scale? Because during my time the cut of mark for Anambra state was at 454 or so. Other states too were in the 400's.

Your time must have been closer to mine
I believe the total highest score was 400 then
100 English
100 mathematics
100 verbal aptitude
100 quantitative aptitude

Then after that the interview process was another weeding ground
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jan 02, 2013
Na im be say no be today e start! Smh
baby_mama:

I went to an FGGC before you
Quota has always been
I remember then our headmistress at school always made it clear to us that being from Imo state,we had to work twice as hard since the surest way to get in was merit list, where 30% into each school was chosen from.
This was before the selling of results.

Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by Nobody: 12:07am On Jan 03, 2013
Igbos highest mark? Just spew why igbos shd nt be allowed to rule nijA by 2015 becox is obvious dat igbos have d best credentials, just my thought anyway
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by free13: 12:25am On Jan 03, 2013
[/quote]for instance, while Anambra was assigned a cut-off of 136, Imo, 135, Abia, 128, and Delta, 126; educationally-disadvantaged states like Kebbi had 35, Jigawa, 33, Taraba, 29, Sokoto, 27 and Yobe, zero.
He said if merit alone was employed the Unity Schools would not achieve federal character.
“For instance in the last examination out of 6,000 candidates that made the national cut-off, Anambra State had the lion’s share. Between Imo and Anambra, they took a sixth of the national merit. You cannot blame them for being brilliant. However, if all Anambra candidates are admitted there will be no unity colleges,” he said.
A teacher at the FSTC, Yaba, Lagos said when quotas of some states are empty, they are filled with pupils from other states.
“Most of them that were registered as northern pupil’s are not actually from the North. Probably, they are northerners by birth but their parents are based here in Lagos. My own children were registered as North’s candidates while they are not just to make up the quota.”[quote]

Very interesting. cool cool
naija which way?
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:45am On Jan 03, 2013
What i find incredulous is the fact that, come the time when vacancies arise for jobs in a federal institution that requires technical and analytical skills, you find that EVERY STATE must be represented and have an equal number of chances (maybe it could even be done according to 'states population' which is even more unfair, as a state/region with a purported higher population gets an advantage); you could find this happening in recruitments for NNPC, Customs, National Space and Nuclear agencies, Ministries of Health/Technology, etc-etc-etc.

How do you justify a situation where kids from a certain part of Nigeria sweat blood and tears to make it in school, whereas in another part (for whatever reason) they just don't give a damn, but at the end of the day the kid that put in less effort gets an advantage over the kid that struggled and put in his best in school?....and you wonder why there's so much frustration, unemployment, crime and social dislocation in the south?

2 Likes

Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:54am On Jan 03, 2013
I think the mistake was made when these 'quota-system' and 'federal character' policies were instituted after the civil war, and no time-frame or duration was put on them; it made peeps lazy and rest on their oars, safe in the knowledge that come hell or high water, their place in the national scheme of things was assured; by now (43 years after) everything should be done on merit if Nigeria hopes to compete with the worlds 20 best countries at some point.....this would make everyone sit up and put in their best, knowing that there's no more free lunch and that they could be left behind if they slacken.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by lacasa: 2:19am On Jan 03, 2013
I can see the South Easterners on board (this thread) claiming intellectual superiority already grin, because of a string of quotations from an article ;-\

i quite disagree & dare say, -

"Grades don't measure intelligence and age doesn't define maturity." undecided

Taking Nairaland as a case in point, this wise words in quotes above^^, do, largely apply on this forum to a great deal.

Some of the most intelligent & fact based comments on Nairaland today r gotten from Non-south easterners mostly. undecided

And, some of those members i кnoω personally to be from the Northern Part of Nigeria & the South West
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by Adejoro74: 2:20am On Jan 03, 2013
For instance, while Anambra was assigned a cut-off of 136, Imo, 135, Abia, 128, and Delta, 126; educationally-disadvantaged states like Kebbi had 35, Jigawa, 33, Taraba, 29, Sokoto, 27 and Yobe, zero.

This perfectly supports the JAMB records that have consistently shown that Imo, Anambra, Delta and Abia (I admit that Ogun has given Abia a good run for some time now) produce the highest number of university admittants for the past several years. Despite the low quality of education in Nigeria, you cannot dream of JAMB if you do not have the basic entry qualification.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by Adejoro74: 2:24am On Jan 03, 2013
lacasa: I can see the South Easterners on board (this thread) claiming intellectual superiority already grin, because of a string of quotations from an article ;-\

Taking Nairaland as a case in point, this wise words in quotes above^^, do, largely apply on this forum to a great deal.

Some of the most intelligent & fact based comments on Nairaland today r credited to non-south easterrners to a high ηumber. undecided

And, some of those members i кnoω personally to be from the Northern Part of Nigeria & the South West

If Nairaland is a measure of intelligence for you, then you are doomed, am sorry. Some of us come here to yab the crap out of others and not to contribute anything. We contribute meaningfully in real life with real names, not phony monikers. If you doubt it, persuade to start using real names and you will see who is who here.

4 Likes

Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by lacasa: 2:32am On Jan 03, 2013
Adejoro74:

If Nairaland is a measure of intelligence for you, then you are doomed, am sorry. Some of us come here to yab the crap out of others and not to contribute anything. We contribute meaningfully in real life with real names, not phony monikers. If you doubt it, persuade to start using real names and you will see who is who here.

i'm sorry for you the more, cos. i can see you dnt understand the meaning of "case in point".
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by Crayola1: 3:04am On Jan 03, 2013
lacasa: I can see the South Easterners on board (this thread) claiming intellectual superiority already grin, because of a string of quotations from an article ;-\

Some of the most intelligent & fact based comments on Nairaland today r gotten from Non-south easterners mostly. undecided

What are you blathering on about. Instead of wondering how on Earth can you have a cut off zero as a score needed to get into college you are here doubling up on your tribalism grin Grades are important because they are really one of the few quantifiable statistics that we have to determine if one is actually understanding the material. Or should we just judge based on feelings? "I guess you understand Algebra so you get to pass" cheesy Are they the end all be all? No, but how on Earth can you claim you want development in your country and can't even determine if your students know their left from their right.

The fact that you some how have a region detector for post s speaks more about you more than anything else in this thread.

You had people from the SE , SW, and etc criticizing this mockery of education and you only find time to look for SE people.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by Sunnybobo3(m): 3:13am On Jan 03, 2013
berem: Do parents still allow their wards go to unity schools? Gone are those days when people crave for unity schools.i went to a unity girls' school between 91 and 97.back then candidate's result were been bought over.i scored 144 in my first attempt in pry 5,got admission in fggc owerri and before i knew what was happening my prospectus was that of fggc bauchi.my parents refused me going.i repeated the exam in pry 6,scored 156,got the same admission in fggc owerri,and got a prospectus of fggc gusau! Well,i had to go to zamfara state finally.back then there was massive corruption in the federal ministry of education.am shocked that unity schools now use quota system for admission.back then it wasnt really like that.it such a shame.unity schools have lost its glory.

Quota system has always been used in admitting students into the Unity Schools. I attended FGC Ikot Ekpene. In 1990 when I wrote the National Common Entrance as it was called then, Anambra had the highest cut off mark of 356 or thereabout. It used to be over 400 then. I had classmates from other states then who scored less than 300 and git admitted while some who scored above 300 were not admitted all because of qouta system.
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by Obiagu1(m): 4:18am On Jan 03, 2013
It shouldn't stop there, they should allocate them "0" pass mark at any higher institution as well sad
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by GARRIx7(m): 4:49am On Jan 03, 2013
This is very UNFAIR....
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by dayokanu(m): 5:06am On Jan 03, 2013
stillwater: Do they change the cut off mark yearly or they use a different scale? Because during my time the cut of mark for Anambra state was at 454 or so. Other states too were in the 400's.

I am baffled too I wrote my National common entrance in the 1980's

I wanted FGC Ilorin or KC but was sent to FGC Ikot Ekpenne and my parents declined.

Those were the days you tear Odiaka from beginning to end

I have forgotten the total marks for the Interview though

In my year I think Bendel had the highest followed by Anambra Ogun and Imo
Re: Yobe State Has Zero Cut Off Mark For Federal School Entrance by chuks49(m): 6:45am On Jan 03, 2013

Shame on you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Top 5 Ways Nigerian Students Should Not Make Money / Nigerian Army University, Biu Resumes Session Despite Strike / Federal Polytechnic Bida 2011/2012 Admission Is Open

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.