Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,391 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:42 AM

The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire (119745 Views)

Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... / Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jan 02, 2013
The Kru
number: 10 millions
The Kru languages belong to the Niger–Congo language family and are spoken by the Kru people from the southeast of Liberia to the east of Ivory Coast. The term "Kru" is of unknown origin. According to Westermann (1952) it was used by Europeans to denote a number of tribes speaking related dialects. Marchese (1989) notes the fact that many of these peoples were recruited as “crew” by European seafarers; “the homonymy with crew is obvious, and is at least one source of the confusion among Europeans that there was a Kru/crew tribe”[1] Andrew Dalby noted the historical importance of the Kru languages for their position at the crossroads of African-European interaction and wrote that “Kru and associated languages were among the first to be encountered by European voyagers on what was then known as the Pepper Coast, a center of the production and export of Guinea and melegueta pepper; a once staple African seaborne trade”.[2] The Kru languages are known for some of the most complex tone systems in Africa, rivaled perhaps only by the Omotic languages.

Subgroups and associated languages

The Kru languages include many subgroups such as Kuwaa, Grebo, Belle, Belleh, Kwaa and many others. According to Breitbonde, categorization of communities based on cultural distinctiveness, historical or ethnic identity and socio-political autonomy“ may have brought about the large numbder of distinct Kru dialects; "Although the natives were in many respects similar in type and tribe, every village was an independent state; there was also very little intercommunication".[4] Breitbonde notes the Kru people were categorized based on their cultural distinctiveness, separate historical or ethnic identities, and social and political autonomy. This is the possible reason for so many subgroups of the Kru language. Unfortunately, as noted by Fisiak, there is very little documentation on the Kru and associated languages.[5]
The Marchese (1989) classification of Kru languages is as follows. Many of these languages are dialect clusters and are sometimes considered more than a single language.

Charasteristics

-Generous
-Solidary
-Good Dancers, singers,
-Athletic Bodies (Tall, muscular guys, women have badunkadunk bodies with big calf grin lool)
-Fair Skin (many are brown, some are high yellow, some are dark)
-Impatient, Untolerant (palabreux)

Most numerous group in Cote d'Ivoire/Ivory Coast

- Bete
- Wê/Krahn
- Dida
- Krumen
- Bakwe
- Godié
- Néyo
- Oubi
- Nyabwa
- Wané

Most numerous group in Liberia

- Bassa
- Grebo
- Kru
- Krahn
- Dei
If there are Kru or anybodt knowlegeable about kru people and culture on this forum, please help in developing this topic. Thanks

Ivorian kru names:

Digbeu, Gnahore, Sery, Guede, Dacoury, Ibo, Bailly (pronounce Bayi),Dadie, Zahui (pronounced zawee), Kipre, Dali, Ble, Blehiri, Goude (Gude), Papouet, Kale, Djedje (pronounced jayjay), Zadi, Kessy, Kessie, Koudou (Kudu), Zouzou, Djehi(Jehi), Lehiga, Zoko, Bobo, Zike, Tebili, Hié, Nemlin, Gnepo, Zion, Guehi, Taïba, Kassaraté, Togba...

Liberian kru names:

Pennon, Togba, Teh, Jlakon, Forkay, Nimene, Boryee, Yenseloh, Odeleia, Gbwe
Dechontee, Fortee, Janjay, Mardea - means First Girl, Mayupleh, Monji, Sundaymah, Tomah, Wlejii, Wlojii, Garnahweh, Gartee, Garyupleh, Garmuyu, Sundaygar, Togar,

2 Likes

Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jan 02, 2013
Ivorian kru (Bete, Dida, Godié attire)

2 Likes

Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jan 02, 2013
Ivorian kru

2 Likes

Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:07am On Jan 03, 2013
more Ivorian kru attire

Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:13am On Jan 03, 2013
more ivorian kru

1 Like

Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:15am On Jan 03, 2013
Liberian kru

1 Like

Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:15am On Jan 03, 2013
heeeuusss cheesy
well done bro! A lot of nice info
loool @ the characteristics, chipeur arrete de chiper grin
les mollets tetus (big calves, full legs) i like it kiss
Also i meant short tempered when i said intolerant (which is only true with the Guere and Bhete grin tongue, joking oo), i think we should remove it, cuz it aint always true smiley

2 Likes

Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:17am On Jan 03, 2013

1 Like

Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:18am On Jan 03, 2013
map of the Kru people
1) Siamou people
3) Western kru
4) Eastern kru
5) Ahizi

Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:21am On Jan 03, 2013
Sybellah: heeeuusss cheesy
well done bro! A lot of nice info
loool @ the characteristics, chipeur arrete de chiper grin
les mollets tetus i like it kiss
Also i meant short tempered when i said intolerant (which is only true with the Guere and Bhete grin tongue, joking oo), i think we should remove it, cuz it aint always true smiley
loooool u kill me, les mollets têtu la c'est parce qu'on danse beaucoup oooh, c'est pas de notre faute grin sinon affaire de palabre la faut pas nous cherche heiiiin, mieux vaut avoir un amis bhete en cas de gbagban looool
Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:23am On Jan 03, 2013
Sybellah:

tchieee shocked que passa?
loool maquillage corporel, bassa people
Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:26am On Jan 03, 2013
ivorian225: loooool u kill me, les mollets têtu la c'est parce qu'on danse beaucoup oooh, c'est pas de notre faute grin sinon affaire de palabre la faut pas nous cherche heiiiin, mieux vaut avoir un amis bhete en cas de gbagban looool

ahahah true, very solidary, ton palabre c mon palabre, but are the other groups like that, except the Guere and the Bhete who are hot-blooded, are the others like the Grebo, Neyo, Krumen... like that as well?

1 Like

Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:30am On Jan 03, 2013
Sybellah: ahahah true, very solidary, ton palabre c mon palabre, but are the other groups like that, except the Guere and the Bhete who are hot-blooded, are the others like the Grebo, Neyo, Krumen... like that as well?
no I would say only Bhete and Guere maybe a cause de l'environement de vie (la foret) but people of ivorian littoral (neyo, krumen) are not hot-blooded
Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:30am On Jan 03, 2013
ivorian225: loool maquillage corporel, bassa people

yea it's surprising to see the amount of kaolin they use for their makeup, striking!
Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:31am On Jan 03, 2013
ivorian225: no I would say only Bhete and Guere maybe a cause de l'environement de vie (la foret) but people of ivorian littoral (neyo, krumen) are not hot-blooded

how did the forest played on their behavior
Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:33am On Jan 03, 2013
Sybellah: yea it's surprising to see the amount of kaolin they use for their makeup, striking!
yea it's a particularity of western kru especially (Wê/Krahn and Bassa)
Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:35am On Jan 03, 2013
Sybellah: how did the forest played on their behavior
just a guess, I would say we still have the temperament to live in the forest and subdue his environment
Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:35am On Jan 03, 2013
ivorian225: yea it's a particularity of western kru especially (Wê/Krahn and Bassa)

ooh true, I forgot the We do the same, I saw a pic online of guere dancers (lil girls), and they were all covered of Kaolin as well, i am gonna try to find the pic to post it

1 Like

Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:39am On Jan 03, 2013
ivorian225: just a guess, I would say we still have the temperament to live in the forest and tame his environment

aah ok i see, also i think Guere and Bhete are the fairest skinned among all the krus, some of them can be very very yellow-like mixed looking, see Galliet or Sery Dorcas for example ( but they are both rouquin). I think their skintone is also due to their location, cuz they are located in the densest forest of the country, if not of west africa.

1 Like

Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:40am On Jan 03, 2013
the Kru of CIV, their traditional outfits are so Akan influenced, check out all those bling bling tongue

2 Likes

Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:44am On Jan 03, 2013
Sybellah: the Kru of CIV, their traditional outfits are so Akan influenced, check out all those bling bling tongue
troooop même, it's why the Liberian kru outfits it's different of Ivorian kru outfits
Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:46am On Jan 03, 2013
Sybellah:

aah ok i see, also i think Guere and Bhete are the fairest skinned among all the krus, some of them can be very very yellow-like mixed looking, see Galliet or Sery Dorcas for example ( but they are both rouquin). I think their skintone is also due to their location, cuz they are located in the densest forest of the country, if not of west africa.
lool je suis l'exception qui confirme la règle heiiiin grin
Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:49am On Jan 03, 2013
ivorian225: lool je suis l'exception qui confirme la règle heiiiin grin

looolz but u are mixed of Bhete-Agni, u r not an authentic kru tongue but a Fologo grin grin
u can swing either way when it fit u na

1 Like

Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:50am On Jan 03, 2013
I wanted to post a pic, but i got banned, maybe the source is corrupted
Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:52am On Jan 03, 2013
some kru celebrity
1) Barku Tarpeh - Top Model
2) George Weah - Football Player
3) Didier Drogba -Football Player

1 Like

Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:54am On Jan 03, 2013
Sysy: looolz but u are mixed of Bhete-Agni, u r not an authentic kru tongue but a Fologo grin grin u can swing either way when it fit u na
looool j'avoue que c'est mon coté agni qui a pris le dessus
Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:55am On Jan 03, 2013
Is Barkuh Tarpeh Liberian? his name is surely the equivalent of Tapeh.
Do u know his ethnic group? he is fine kiss

1 Like

Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:56am On Jan 03, 2013
ivorian225: looool j'avoue que c'est mon coté agni qui a pris le dessus

ahaha ton vieux est clair? pourtant ta vielle n'est pas noire hein...mais ca te va trop bien, teint noir bien cire c tres tres beau smiley

1 Like

Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:58am On Jan 03, 2013
Sysy: Is Barkuh Tarpeh Liberian? his name is surely the equivalent of Tapeh.
Do u know his ethnic group? he is fine kiss
yea Barku Tarpeh is Liberian, it's a Bassa man, yes ça doit être surrement l'équivalent de tapé
Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 12:59am On Jan 03, 2013
Sysy: ahaha ton vieux est clair? pourtant ta vielle n'est pas noire hein...mais ca te va trop bien, teint noir bien cire c tres tres beau smiley
thanks!! non en plus c'est le contraire, mum= clair, dad = bien noir
Re: The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire by Nobody: 1:00am On Jan 03, 2013
ivorian225: yea Barku Tarpeh is Liberian, it's a Bassa man, yes ça doit être surrement l'équivalent de tapé

aaah ok so this is one more proof, in addition to the language, that the Bassa of Lib and the Bhete of CIV could be one and the same people.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

African Images-sights And Sounds! / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.