Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,195 members, 7,953,706 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:10 AM

The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? (38181 Views)

What's The Oldest Car You've Driven / Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. / My Road Trip From Lagos To Ibadan. Pictures! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Aug 20, 2013
shymexx: I can't put the total number of miles to it but UK heads can calculate it.

I drove from London to Birmingham, then to Shrewsbury, back to Telford, then to Stoke, then to Chester, and straight on to Liverpool - and back to London the same day. Those were the days when I used to run down the mileage of every car that I buy within 3/4 months - then sell it afterwards. I would just wake up, look for a place on the history, get the sat nav and get my boys in the car - and off we go. Drove about 15 cars from age 17-22, believe that. I just love adventure.

Another psychotic driver and the greatest long-distance driving mofo ever has to be my boy Ezenna the Zen. That's only guy that moves a car without the clutch, just the accelerator and off we go. The only guy you would like to be in his car when he's high or drunk. The only guy that has never been caught in a car chase with the feds - he always get away. This guy used to run down the mileage of every car that he drives within 2 months and he drove more than 25 different cars within 4years. He'll drive you from anywhere to heaven and hell, and back in one piece, believe that.

And we both never went to driving school, we just picked a banger at age 14 and started driving it around South London. wink

Shyte, there are drivers and there are DRIVERRRRRSSSS!

Holding it down for the south-side Shymexx? Much respect.

During the years when I covered serious mileage as part of a rites of passage, we had our very own nomenclature for describing every long road trip. I've cover London to Glasgow and back twice. I've done London to Bonn (Germany) to Essen (Germany) to Amsterdam (Holland) to Brussels (Belgium) at a stretch, on the same day. I have also driven from Paris to Amsterdam and back, on the same day, a few times.

As someone that used to clock illegal speeds back then, and who once lost traction while doing 140mph in a chipped RS Turbo, moments after a couple of boy-racing brethren became indeterminate objects in my rear-view mirror, I have been humbled by German drivers many times over. There is nothing more unnerving than Mr Wolfgang appearing on your tail, seemingly out of no-where, with indicator lights flashing, while you are doing 130mph yourself.

By the way, I pay homage to other posters who can also attest to having done serious road-miles.

One little step for mankind, it is. grin

Disclaimer: despite my chequered history as a road user, I do not encourage anyone to flout motoring laws. Kill the speed, get to live. cool
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by azimibraun: 12:17pm On Aug 20, 2013
the trip from the office wia i collected my waec result to my papas house. one very long trip after i gt just 3 credit and 3 passes the rest f9s. that journey long sha.
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by rodbel(m): 12:21pm On Aug 20, 2013
readonenaire: will be hell of fun... First seat right booked...plsssss cheesy cheesy

Shymexx and readone..... Booking next available seat. Lets make this happen.... I love road trips in sweet rides

1 Like

Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by Jobabori(m): 2:25pm On Aug 20, 2013
dvdon: From my room to my bathroom. undecided
You need the service of an English teacher.
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by readonenaire(m): 2:28pm On Aug 20, 2013
rodbel: Nice post. I've done the following trips:

Port harcourt to Owerri, duration - 1hr 30mins, 2005 Lexus GX470

Umuahia to Port harcourt, duration 1hr 20mins with the bad road and traffic. speed - an average of 110km/hr car - Toyota corolla 2005

Abeokuta to ibadan, 50mins, Nissan sunny, average speed 90km/hr

I'm so looking forward to more.....driving is an hobby with a very good car though
I see yu Alegbs.... Greatest driver ever liveth *in olamide's voice*

1 Like

Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Aug 20, 2013
To all the folks that have driven in Germany, is it true there is no speed limit on the autobahn.
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Aug 20, 2013
[quote autho ?[/quote]
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Aug 20, 2013
femmyb: To all the folks that have driven in Germany, is it true there is no speed limit on the autobahn.

The Germans do not mess about with their roads.

German autobahns

The German autobahns (Autobahn, plural Autobahnen) form the nationally coordinated motorway system in Germany. In German, they are officially called Bundesautobahn (plural Bundesautobahnen, abbreviated 'BAB'), which translates to "federal expressways". German autobahns have no general speed limit, but the advisory speed limit (Richtgeschwindigkeit) is 130 kilometres per hour (81 mph).
Germany's autobahn network has a total length of about 12,845 kilometres (7,982 mi) in 2012,[1] which ranks as the fourth longest highway system in the world behind the National Trunk Highway System (NTHS) of China (97,355 km), the Interstate Highway System of the United States (75,932 km) and the highways in Spain (16,204 km).
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_autobahns

Autobahn Speed Limit? What, Are You Crazy?!

A German Declaration of Independence would read something like this: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: That all men are entitled to beer, pretzels, sausages and the pursuit of ever-increasing speeds on the Autobahn." Woe unto those who would abridge these rights.

The Washington Post reported that Sigmar Gabriel, the chairman of the center-left Social Democratic Party, proposed a national speed limit of 115 kph (72 mph). That went over like a lead balloon, despite the fact that a 2007 poll showed that nearly 2/3 of Germans favor a speed limit on the Autobahn. Still, some members of Mr. Gabriel's own party immediately backed away from the suggestion.

Indeed, some Germans really like to go fast on the Autobahn. The highest speed ever clocked was 268.8 miles per hour, but that was under artificial conditions. (Basically, a raceway was set up for the purpose of setting records.) Under normal operating conditions, the fastest speed was set by a Porsche going 236 mph.

But is that safe? I've traveled on the Autobahn with my father-in-law, and he doesn't have a reputation for driving slowly. (One time, we were going at least 110 mph.) Yet, several cars passed us like we were standing still.

Actually, the Autobahn is quite safe. The Washington Post report goes on:

Germany's roads, constructed to some of the strictest safety standards in the world, rank firmly in the middle of industrialized countries in terms of traffic deaths. For every billion miles driven on German roads, nine people were killed in accidents in 2011, according to figures to be released this week by the International Transport Forum of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. In the United States, 10.9 people died for every billion miles driven, while in Britain, 6.3 people were killed.

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Source
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by alpontif(m): 3:00pm On Aug 20, 2013
If you are interested in a road rally, Abuja To Accra. contact me.
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by princemmab(m): 3:28pm On Aug 20, 2013
Maiduguri to Abuja
Route: maiduduri, Beinishek, yobe state (ngelezerma, damaturu, damagum, dam bam, potiskum) Bauchi state ( azare) Kane state (gano, rano, wudil, kano) kaduna state (danja, makarfi, likoro, zaria, jaji, kaduna, jere, tafa) Niger state (suleja) Fct ( Abuja, )
6 states 923km
Ordinarily, 10-12 hours
Plus recent check points minimum of 15 hours..
I change my engine oil as soon as I get to Abuja.
Bauchi Jos route is shorter, but more check points, as those states are also troubled..
#team_Honda
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by sugardaddy1(m): 3:35pm On Aug 20, 2013
Lagos-Port Harcourt -Lagos :About 1,200Km altogether.
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by Glamglam(f): 4:11pm On Aug 20, 2013
London to Essen, Germany. Hubby was basically flying on the motorway and autobahn through bad weather. My friends hubby drove from London to Tunisia, Africa for holiday, while the rest of us took a plane. Madness, i tell you!!
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Aug 20, 2013
My own na Nigeria to Switzerland, and it took me 2months
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by adwem2003(m): 5:09pm On Aug 20, 2013
Laogs to Borno......23hrs on road

1 Like

Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by tlops(m): 6:40pm On Aug 20, 2013
I drove stockholm to Hamburg via Denmark a distance of over 900 km in 14 hours, with two ferry transportation (20mins from southern sweden to denmark and 40 min from denmark to putgarden germany). maximum speed was 200KM/h on our way back in Germany, the car was volvo s40.
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by dapsonlou(m): 7:17pm On Aug 20, 2013
Atlanta Georgia to Lynn Massachusetts for my mom's burial 21hours oneway
1200 miles going and 1200miles coming back in a minivan, i spend $600 on Gas(petro), By plane it's 2hrs ticket cost $250 embarassed didn't know na lol thought i was saving money by driving
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by nissparts(m): 7:26pm On Aug 20, 2013
^lollllllllllll

1 Like

Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by Burger01(m): 8:44pm On Aug 20, 2013
shymexx: I can't put the total number of miles to it but UK heads can calculate it.

I drove from London to Birmingham, then to Shrewsbury, back to Telford, then to Stoke, then to Chester, and straight on to Liverpool - and back to London the same day. Those were the days when I used to run down the mileage of every car that I buy within 3/4 months - then sell it afterwards. I would just wake up, look for a place on the history, get the sat nav and get my boys in the car - and off we go. Drove about 15 cars from age 17-22, believe that. I just love adventure.

Another psychotic driver and the greatest long-distance driving mofo ever has to be my boy Ezenna the Zen. That's only guy that moves a car without the clutch, just the accelerator and off we go. The only guy you would like to be in his car when he's high or drunk. The only guy that has never been caught in a car chase with the feds - he always get away. This guy used to run down the mileage of every car that he drives within 2 months and he drove more than 25 different cars within 4years. He'll drive you from anywhere to heaven and hell, and back in one piece, believe that.

And we both never went to driving school, we just picked a banger at age 14 and started driving it around South London. wink

Shyte, there are drivers and there are DRIVERRRRRSSSS!

ShyShy! I dey feel you bruv.. grin
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by Burger01(m): 8:47pm On Aug 20, 2013
dapsonlou: Atlanta Georgia to Lynn Massachusetts for my mom's burial 21hours oneway
1200 miles going and 1200miles coming back in a minivan, i spend $600 on Gas(petro), By plane it's 2hrs ticket cost $250 embarassed didn't know na lol thought i was saving money by driving
grin

No-one saves money by driving.. Not when you drive a Range v8 9.0ltr engine monster.
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by telexfree1: 9:01pm On Aug 20, 2013
Christmas day 2008. Lagos to Nnewi in a Toyota Avalon. That's maybe 700 km. Not sure.
Left Lagos by 6 am and arrived in the late afternoon.

Just a normal trip.
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by ikenga67: 10:28pm On Aug 20, 2013
In 2000, I drove from San Diego in California to North Brunswick NJ (almost 3k Miles I think) in a 1994 Plymouth Voyager. It took four days (of course we stopped to sleep at night). The vehicle basically died after the trip, but since then I have nothing but respect for American made vehicles
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by rodbel(m): 10:30pm On Aug 20, 2013
Someone in PH should invite me for a road trip now. 1 week stuff. PH to .............. (Fill in the blank) just invite me!
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by rodbel(m): 10:32pm On Aug 20, 2013
readonenaire: I see yu Alegbs.... Greatest driver ever liveth *in olamide's voice*

We need to do this road trip bro.
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by dubezj: 12:06am On Aug 21, 2013
femmyb: To all the folks that have driven in Germany, is it true there is no speed limit on the autobahn.
I can competently answer your question:

There are speed limits on sections of the German Autobahn. However, some of these limits are time and traffic flow dependent. Sometimes, speed limits are imposed as a measure against noise pollution to neighbouring residential communites.

Also, kown accident prone spots are speed restricted, and are periodically radar trapped to catch violators. yours truly has lost his drivers license for 60 days and paid 370 Euros in fines.

As the Autobahn continues to be reconstructed and modernised, the information system has become electronic and online, so speed limits are mostly imposed or lifted based on the flow of traffic.

That said, a lage portion of the Autobahn continue to remain speed restriction free and a blessing to experienced speed warriors such as yours truly.

Munich - Hamburg, 795km in 5 hours and 12 minutes (at night) will make you feel like michael schumacher on steroids.

Note this, Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Porsche and VW, will not build the vehicles we know them for today if the Autobahn did not exist.
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by Nobody: 5:46am On Aug 21, 2013
There's limit ,but u will see the signs. For example, when u about to enters underground,long Briggs, b4 some fly overs,u see something like 120,100,80,60, apart from that their Roads are sweet to drive.
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by Uzzie: 1:11pm On Aug 21, 2013
rodbel: Someone in PH should invite me for a road trip now. 1 week stuff. PH to .............. (Fill in the blank) just invite me!

me too o ... ph to....
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by kobenol(m): 3:06pm On Aug 21, 2013
Katsumoto: Lagos-Cotonou-Lome-Aflao-Accra-Abidjan = Almost 2 days with stops at Accra and Lome and 2 hours at Aflao because my companions had Naija passports. grin grin grin

New York-NJ-Delaware-Maryland-Virginia-North Carolina-Atlanta = 11 Hours doing 85-95 MPH and ticket from a Maryland State Trooper. grin grin grin

But the longest as got to be
Madrid-Burgos-San Sebastien-Bordeaux-Paris-Leige-Cologne-Berlin = 36 hours with a stop in Paris
Bros. I hail ooo...Chai! International driver...
*Africa...
*America...
*Europe...
....you too much!
...Well I've done Ibadan to Oyo; Ibadan to Ilorin (via Iwo - Ife_Odan) and back in each case...my sweetest ride ever is Ogbomoso-Ilorin section of the expressway traffic there is quite light but wary of some dents.
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by Numerouuuno: 3:52pm On Aug 21, 2013
This international drivers D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ scare person o
How can someone drive 36 hrs with just a stop
Shymexx&his crew too......
i hail o
Una mehn.i gatz step up o.......
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by Katsumoto: 3:59pm On Aug 21, 2013
Numero uuuno: This international drivers D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ scare person o
How can someone drive 36 hrs with just a stop
Shymexx&his crew too......
i hail o
Una mehn.i gatz step up o.......

The 36 hours includes the hours spent in Paris. grin grin grin

Two guys driving and sleeping, the journey is no more than 24 hours.
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by Numerouuuno: 6:11pm On Aug 21, 2013
All the same,its still much....
Well done bro
Katsumoto:

The 36 hours includes the hours spent in Paris. grin

Two guys driving and sleeping, the journey is no more than 24 hours.
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by armyofone(m): 7:13pm On Aug 21, 2013
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Don't ask, don't tell wink

manny4life:

Less than 5hrs trip and your butt still hurts?

Besides what are you doing at CIA territory?
Re: The Longest Road Trip You've Driven? by Fajzay: 11:52am On Aug 26, 2013
PHC-Benin-Lagos: Made it in 6 hrs with Toyota Camry Pencil light.
Abuja-Akure-Lagos (~470 Miles): With my Acura MDX and Benz S430. With the latter last month in 8.5 hrs. Not bad though but could be better
Lagos-Akure-Okene-Markurdi: Acure MDX (about 9/10 hrs therabt)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Rare Ferrari 288 GTO Worth $2 Million Stolen By Would-be Buyer During Test Drive / 22 Vehicle Manufacturers to Move into Nigeria / BMW 766i Valkyrie 4×4 Is The Most Monstrous BMW You've Ever Seen (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.