Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,125 members, 7,829,002 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding (10756 Views)

Bode George, Odili Got N100M Each From Dasuki In Arms Purchase Scam - Sahara Rep / List Of People Who Donated N100m For Pres. Jonathan's Nomination Form / Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by ypzilanti: 4:15pm On Jan 04, 2013
This will be appreciated as an 'achievement' when majority of the state population is illiterate. What prevents the couples from divorcing again and marrying again on the state bill? If they really want to help widows, they should provide them with grants to start small businesses. Some of the men they are providing for them are wive beaters, psychos and all sort of weirdos that already failed in marriage.

1 Like

Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by saleeh: 4:16pm On Jan 04, 2013
free2ryhme:

and u born children everywhere later turn almajiri abi
May God have mercy on you...you're in total darkness and you're blind

1 Like

Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by solomon111(m): 4:17pm On Jan 04, 2013
Foolish goverment,foolish people,foolish region.
Is this what is paramount in their life?
Waste of money.
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by metti(m): 4:18pm On Jan 04, 2013
Maxymilliano: Kano – The Kano State Government said it earmarked more than N100 million for the wedding of another batch of 1,000 divorcees and widows scheduled for January.

The Director-General of the state Hisbah Board, Alhaji Abba Sufi, disclosed this in an interview in Kano on Thursday. He said the board had “since started preparation in readiness for the mass wedding”.

“The screening of the prospective couples has commenced in earnest in all the 44 local government areas of the state,’’ he said. Sufi said prospective couples must undergo medical checks, including HIV and AIDS, genotype and hepatitis tests, among others.

He said following the decentralization of the programme, each of the councils would hold the wedding prayer session for 21 couples.

He said the session for the remaining 76 couples would be performed in Kano. Sufi said the state government would pay N20,000 dowries to each of the brides, in addition to providing essential items for the couples.

The board has written to wealthy individuals and corporate organisations for their contributions towards the success of the programme.’’ In July last year 250 widows and divorcees were joined under the second batch of the mass wedding. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/01/kano-earmarks-n100m-for-mass-wedding/
What a waste, marriage is suppose to be a personal thing. Wetin concern government with that?
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by GboyegaD(m): 4:20pm On Jan 04, 2013
Na wah ooo. So now its about matchmaking right and so many people are in support. Hope this doesn't lead to more future divorce and domestic violence.
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by lacasa: 4:20pm On Jan 04, 2013
Stupidity & lack of direction at the Federal, State and Local levels in this our Nijeriya
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by solomon111(m): 4:21pm On Jan 04, 2013
saleeh: May God have mercy on you...you're in total darkness and you're blind
what is the meaning of this?
Are you an islamic fanatic?
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by kinguwem: 4:25pm On Jan 04, 2013
Why are they so many divorcees & widows in that region? Poverty, illiteracy, diseases, religious & cultural beliefs are the major factors. These issues should be addressed to reduce the population of widows & divorcees.
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by Wilfredng: 4:27pm On Jan 04, 2013
brokoto: Like seriously? The govt is sponsoring peoples weddings and paying their bride price too?

Ok. Maybe that will be the governor's next campaign slogan... I paid for the mass wedding of 2000 widowers/divorcees. One good turn deserves another.

All hail our performing ogovernors,!!!
[size=18pt]Performing indeed![/size]. God help all of us in this country. sometimes I get to wonder if these old me voted into power are reasonable at all. N100m for mass wedding, weird news of the year. smh!
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by jimino(m): 4:27pm On Jan 04, 2013
Instead of d gov 2 use dat mony 2 create job 4 dis pple so dat dey can put fud on der table. Afta marriage, wat wil dey eat? Leta d male wil join boko haram 2 make ends meet. Na wa o
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by seanet01: 4:32pm On Jan 04, 2013
mu2sa2: You are the r.e.t.a.r.d.e.d for failing to see the need for govt to intervene positively in peoples lives. kudos to knsg.
Ya papa
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by dabrake(m): 4:32pm On Jan 04, 2013
Aint surprised. Are we not referring to abokis here?
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by Wilfredng: 4:37pm On Jan 04, 2013
So Vanguard truly reported this?
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by mu2sa2: 4:40pm On Jan 04, 2013
free2ryhme:

Almajiris are human beings too. Are u advocating abolition of marriage because of almajiri problem?
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jan 04, 2013
tbaba1234: Widows and Divorcees go through very difficult times and are stigmatized in our society. An initiative that makes it easier for them to remarry is a good one.

At the end of the day, I think this is a good initiative but it could have been better if it was organized by private individuals.

All the same, i think this is great.

You are gaddem ridiculous. If this happened in a non-muslim place you would have criticized the govt properly for wasting taxpayers money and encouraging more problems in society- people are divorced for a reason. Let them get together on their own in private way

You think this is great?

mtchew.

2 Likes

Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by abdulkayus(m): 4:44pm On Jan 04, 2013
Notin will d north do dat some southerners will nt castigate. For God sake, are their ppl complainin, and by d way, there is strident rules regardin dis marriage. D man must be working and d females are given some stipends to start business. And there are many development goin in kano right nw.
Am nt a northerner bt i hate it wen ppl who havent even go to anoda state apart frm their state call a region retard and hate anytin dey do jus cos d media has brainwash dem so.
CIAO

2 Likes

Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by ehispapa(m): 4:44pm On Jan 04, 2013
Maxymilliano: Kano – The Kano State Government said it earmarked more than N100 million for the wedding of another batch of 1,000 divorcees and widows scheduled for January.

The Director-General of the state Hisbah Board, Alhaji Abba Sufi, disclosed this in an interview in Kano on Thursday. He said the board had “since started preparation in readiness for the mass wedding”.

“The screening of the prospective couples has commenced in earnest in all the 44 local government areas of the state,’’ he said. Sufi said prospective couples must undergo medical checks, including HIV and AIDS, genotype and hepatitis tests, among others.

He said following the decentralization of the programme, each of the councils would hold the wedding prayer session for 21 couples.

He said the session for the remaining 76 couples would be performed in Kano. Sufi said the state government would pay N20,000 dowries to each of the brides, in addition to providing essential items for the couples.

The board has written to wealthy individuals and corporate organisations for their contributions towards the success of the programme.’’ In July last year 250 widows and divorcees were joined under the second batch of the mass wedding. (NAN)

Can you imagine the problem of this people. People will divorce their wife and re-marry them again, i know them very well..very backward and r e t a r t e d
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by Ikwerefistson: 4:44pm On Jan 04, 2013

imagne d way our oye money dey marry 4ds pepl.we hav seen d major contributors of nijas economic wooes in retrospect
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by Youngsage: 4:45pm On Jan 04, 2013
Hii. Pls how do i comment on a topic? I'm trying to comment on this thread but don't know how. Fellow nlanders?
Let me keep this space for my comment. Tynx.
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by gbadexy(m): 4:45pm On Jan 04, 2013
The state is budgeting N100,000 for each of the 1000 widows/divorcees.
these people just collect federal allocation and spend it senselessly buying ram or sponsoring weddings for women that aren't just marrying.
Na wetin lugard cause be dis.
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by Chamber10(m): 4:46pm On Jan 04, 2013
I recommend one month internship programme for the governor in Lagos state so that he will learn infrastructral development shocked shocked
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by ehispapa(m): 4:48pm On Jan 04, 2013
tbaba1234: Widows and Divorcees go through very difficult times and are stigmatized in our society. An initiative that makes it easier for them to remarry is a good one.

At the end of the day, I think this is a good initiative but it could have been better if it was organized by private individuals.

All the same, i think this is great.
Empowerment is the best option. provide soft loans for them or something, what makes you think they will not get separated / divorce agian
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by mu2sa2: 4:48pm On Jan 04, 2013
seanet01: Ya papa
Wishing u quick recovery from ur condition.
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by Ikwerefistson: 4:49pm On Jan 04, 2013
free2ryhme:

free bride price plus useles husband equal 2 boko haram

1 Like

Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by killuminati(m): 4:49pm On Jan 04, 2013
Youngsage:

Hii. Pls how do i comment on a topic? I'm trying to comment on this thread but don't know how. Fellow nlanders?
Let me keep this space for my comment. Tynx.
between you and GEJ, I no knw who mumu passsss shockedundecided
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by omenziate(m): 4:51pm On Jan 04, 2013
"I divorce u", "I divorce u", "I divorce u". New wife don arrive, all expense paid by the Government, why I no b aboki sef?

2 Likes

Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by alameenLM(m): 4:52pm On Jan 04, 2013
Prof Corruption: While their southern counterparts are building infrastructure, these folks are wasting money on marriages. Smh
how many infrastructure how many pple dey build.how many pple benefit 4rm the sub-standard & few infrastructure..they're building communities & vettering lifes & u r talking nonsense...
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by alameenLM(m): 4:56pm On Jan 04, 2013
saleeh: This is one of the beauty of Islam
hope this isn't sarcasm.cuz its truly part of the beauties of the best religion
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by tbaba1234: 5:00pm On Jan 04, 2013
ehispapa:
Empowerment is the best option. provide soft loans for them or something, what makes you think they will not get separated / divorce agian

True,a means of earning income would also be awesome.

Many widows and divorcees do not know where to start from, as regards getting companionship, particularly after many years of marriage. SO even if you do provide them with a means of livelihood, the void still exists. They still go through a lot of difficulties/stigma.

Like i said earlier, i think this venture of matchmaking is better done by private individuals but i still think it is a good move.
Re: Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding by lafuria1(m): 5:06pm On Jan 04, 2013
when you dont understand a society, it becomes easy to misinterpret and misunderstand. this is kano and not bayelsa. what makes sense in kano doesnt have to make sense in other places. the government is intrested in sponsoring marriages of divorces and widows and not newly wed. the number of divorces and widows is high, something has to be done, there are people who want to get married but lack the means to do so. trying to solve this issue may not be best idea but not bad one. there is nothing in this world that people dont exploit illegal.

this is rather a short term plan, and a long term will be providing jobs to make things much better.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Free El-zakzaky, Nnamdi Kanu, Others – Ohanaeze Youths Tell Osinbajo / 2023: G5 Governors Not Dead, We Won’t Disclose Election Strategy - Wike / Navy Relocates Training Command HQ From Lagos To Rivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.