Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,979 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections (17557 Views)

Bode George, Odili Got N100M Each From Dasuki In Arms Purchase Scam - Sahara Rep / List Of People Who Donated N100m For Pres. Jonathan's Nomination Form / Kano Earmarks N100m For Mass Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by ichommy(m): 1:48am On May 19, 2013
| credits:
Former Governor of Abia State, Orji Uzor Kalu, has said he gave ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo N100m to run his campaign in 1999.

He said he gave another N100m to the Peoples Democratic Party prior to the 1999 elections.

The former governor said this as ‘Guest of the Week’ on a Kaduna-based Liberty FM radio programme on Saturday.

He said, “I made millions before joining politics. I was doing business between Maiduguri and the East. I carried fish from Maiduguri to the East and palm oil from the East to Maiduguri. So, I had money and invested so much in the PDP.

“If the party is a company, I would have been a major shareholder. I and (Saminu) Turaki spent more on the party than any other Nigerian. How much did (President Goodluck) Jonathan have before he became the President? I was the first to give the party N100m to register. I was also the first to give Obasanjo N100m to campaign during the 1999 election.”

On the frosty relationship between him and Obasanjo, Kalu said things fell apart between him and the former leader when he discovered that Obasanjo was deceiving Nigerians.

Kalu said, “I fell apart with Obasanjo on the issue of third term. He wanted to be a life President. Nobody can tell me that Obasanjo was not interested in a third term. Huge money was involved in the project. Two senators from my state came with the money and I asked them to return it.

“It was the then President of America, George Bush, who genuinely derailed the third term agenda. I told Bush about it and that is why Obasanjo hates me. Bush told him that it was not possible in a constitutional democracy. I try to avoid him (Obasanjo) at public functions.”

On the 2015 election, Kalu said, “People should stop imposing the President on Nigerians. Let the people chose their President.

“Igbo are going to vote for Igbo in 2015. Jonathan has the constitutional right to run but he is not an Igbo man. There are many qualified Igbo men. I am not saying I’m running for President now but there are possibilities that other Igbo men are thinking about that. Northerners should support us for the presidency in 2015 because we supported (Shehu) Shagari. We supported (Umaru) Yar’Adau, (Yakubu) Gowon and Tafawa Balewa,” Kalu added.

He said his return to PDP was to give the party a second chance and to see if he could make positive changes in the party.

On the state of emergency declared by the President on three North-East states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa, Kalu said the declaration was nothing but a movement of troops from one place to another, adding that the security chiefs did not advise the President properly.

He said the President should have allowed the amnesty committee to work for at least three months before declaring the state of emergency.

The former governor said, “I am for amnesty. The President should have allowed the amnesty committee at least three months. He shouldn’t have made any announcement. There is nothing like state of emergency but just a movement of troops. Jonathan is not that wicked to be playing politics with human life. Let’s remove politics or 2015 from this thing.”

However, Obasanjo’s Media Assistant, Vitalis Ortese, said the former President would not join issues with “Kalu who has credibility and integrity deficit.”

He said, “This is a man who is known to have stuffed paper as money in a bag and donated it at a public function in Maiduguri. He has no credibility and integrity. So, we will not like to join issues with him.

“He is only trying to cover his lack of credibility by seeking to join issues with someone, who clearly is not in his level or class. He is only seeking relevance. Good luck to him.

http://www.punchng.com/news/i-gave-obasanjo-n100m-for-1999-elections-kalu/

3 Likes

Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by Scarpon(m): 1:52am On May 19, 2013
100 million? I swear to become a politician some day
Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by Nobody: 2:55am On May 19, 2013
This is a man who is known to have stuffed paper as money in a bag and donated it at a public function in Maiduguri

grin grin grin

13 Likes

Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by Nobody: 3:11am On May 19, 2013
I know some Igbos are coming to brand Kalu a bastard and sellout for daring to say Jonathan is not an Igbo man. I do support Igbo Presidency. Rocha is a very good option. Chuba Okadigbo was one Igbo man I had wanted as President. May God bless his soul! I love Okadigbo's swagger. He was a true Nigerian to the core. He was not bigoted like the unprecedented number of illiterates from SE who parade themselves on nairaland. Ken Nnamani is another great Igbo man who does not think like the touts we have on nairaland.

I don't know why Igbos can't put people like Nnamani forward to be Presidential candidate. Nnamani is loved by Yoruba, Hausa and other tribes.

11 Likes

Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by Demdem(m): 3:33am On May 19, 2013
Kalu should shut up. Jonathan is igbo. Igbos are already enjoying the presidency.

1 Like

Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by CyberG: 4:25am On May 19, 2013
LWKMD...LWTMB!! grin grin Is all these coming because all the money he gave did not buy the presidency? Well, if you want the presidency, you know what to do: the people from the north, west, middle and south south. Otherwise, even if they all vote for their tribesman, they can't win for democracy is a game of numbers - that is without PDP rigging!
Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by eagleeye2: 5:02am On May 19, 2013
No matter what you say about Kalu, this assertion is not just mere boasting. Kalu was already mega rich before the '99 election year, how he made his money is a topic for debate.
I dare say that this is the only politician from the Igbo stock who has openly told other azz lickers from Igbo land that GEJ is not an Igbo son.
Prior to 2011 election GEJ came with the gimick of being "shoe less" and also bearing "Azikiwe". But today THE SHOE LESS one does not give A DAMN about the masses (just because he didn't want to declare his assets) and the "Azikiwe" that he sold to the gullible Igbos has equally been dropped.
Whether Kalu wins another election in Nigeria or not, I commend him for being able to come out openly and take a stand against all the "for my stomach" Igbo politicians.

15 Likes

Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by eagleeye2: 5:12am On May 19, 2013
However, Obasanjo’s Media Assistant, Vitalis Ortese, said the former President would not join issues with “Kalu who has credibility and integrity deficit.” He said, “This is a man who is known to have stuffed paper as money in a bag and donated it at a public function in Maiduguri. He has no credibility and integrity. So, we will not like to join issues with him. “He is only trying to cover his lack of credibility by seeking to join issues with someone, who clearly is not in his level or class. He is only seeking relevance. Good luck to him.

Have had about this Maiduguri stunt allegation before, but I wonder if this is just a mere rumour or it actually happened. Those involved in the said function (the organisers, and Kalu himself) should clear the air once and for all.
Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by Decapo: 10:27am On May 19, 2013
ok o
Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by Nobody: 10:30am On May 19, 2013
Na wah for this country undecided

1 Like

Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by alphaconde(m): 10:31am On May 19, 2013
Orji kalu too much money, its surprising despite all the money no one respects u politically again. But then I still envy your wealth.
Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by NSNA: 10:32am On May 19, 2013
Confession to bribe, Arrest him

6 Likes

Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by Krasid(m): 10:34am On May 19, 2013
Awwww,touching.So,what should we do.

1 Like

Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by effisyman: 10:35am On May 19, 2013
Nigeria democracy.. Govt of the rich cabals by the rich cabals and for the rich cabals.

2 Likes

Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by Ignatio(m): 10:35am On May 19, 2013
How does it concern us?
Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by Chrisdonca(m): 10:40am On May 19, 2013
Ignatio: How does it concern us?
it concern u broda.

2 Likes

Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by jamace(m): 10:41am On May 19, 2013
Where did he make his millions from? Let me find out from the Babangida regime.

2 Likes

Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by olanyte: 10:42am On May 19, 2013
Scarpon: 100 million? I swear to become a politician some day
and if you be, you will be a corrupt politician and the future is not bright for you.

4 Likes

Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by oloriooko(m): 10:43am On May 19, 2013
so where did the rogue get such whooping amount to give out? is it his monthly salary or savings?

ole, barawo ishiewu

2 Likes

Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by Abdul2born: 10:45am On May 19, 2013
Dat man na ole fa
Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by bobthebuilder99(m): 10:46am On May 19, 2013
ichommy: “It was the then President of America, George Bush, who genuinely derailed the third term agenda. I told Bush about it and that is why Obasanjo hates me. Bush told him that it was not possible in a constitutional democracy. I try to avoid him (Obasanjo) at public functions.”

LWKMD....this poor man is searching for relevance.

Abeg, somebody tell him he's special. grin

2 Likes

Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by ajanaku2(m): 10:47am On May 19, 2013
ichommy: | credits:

“Igbo are going to vote for Igbo in 2015. Jonathan has the constitutional right to run but he is not an Igbo man. There are many qualified Igbo men. I am not saying I’m running for President now but there are possibilities that other Igbo men are thinking about that. Northerners should support us for the presidency in 2015 because we supported (Shehu) Shagari. We supported (Umaru) Yar’Adau, (Yakubu) Gowon and Tafawa Balewa,” Kalu added.

http://www.punchng.com/news/i-gave-obasanjo-n100m-for-1999-elections-kalu/

...just too bad you supported Shehu Shagari while Nnamdi Azikiwe contested that same election! Well, the Igbos had no option than to support Yakubu Gowon after the Civil war...The Hausas would never want an Igbo Man in Aso rock! It's as simple as that!

On a personal note, I sincerely think the Igbos have been marginalized for a long time now; and I would want to see an Igbo Man rule this country someday...but the problem lies in the nonavailability of suitable candidates, except of course the incorruptible Senator Ken Nnamani, whom I think is no longer interested in Nigerian politics...

The likes of Obasanjo, Kalu, et al ought to be languishing in Prison by now!

1 Like

Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by Nobody: 10:48am On May 19, 2013
WHEN WE THE IGBOS LEADB SELF MTSCHEE WE WANT BIAFRA WE WANT BIAFRA
Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by Nobody: 10:49am On May 19, 2013
Saminu Turaki donated 17 billion naira to yardua campaign but didn't make noise about it.Why is this one acting weird because of 100 million ? Y'all are fu'c'king criminals and stop trying to picture yourself as a saint !

1 Like

Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by Nobody: 10:50am On May 19, 2013
I might not agree with orji uzor kalu's statment in some area but as for the 100M he talked about, every major player in Abia politics during his era knows that he really gave OBJ 100M and even delivered votes for him.

Igbos are not biased and they are not that much interested in an igbo presidency, what we need Is to be allowed to live our life, hussle without problems and let the governors provide the basic things we need to live our life like Good roads and the rest of them. Our problem with Nigeria is that our people are been killed we don't give a damn about been hated because it doesn't touch us a bit. The northerners ruled this country over 40yrs yet their area is one of the poorest places and the poorest people in Nigeria are from the north. Also let every region control their resources and use it to develop their land and the restoration of the aburi accord agreement. If our small demands can be met then we have no problem been part of Nigeria but if it can't be then we will never stop fighting for biafra.

18 Likes

Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by Nobody: 10:52am On May 19, 2013
]
~Bluetooth:

Saminu Turaki donated 17 billion naira to yardua campaign but didn't make noise about it.Why is this one acting weird because of 100 million ? Y'all are fu'c'king criminals and stop trying to picture yourself as a saint !
LIE!!!

4 Likes

Re: Kalu Gave Obasanjo N100m For 1999 Elections by bobthebuilder99(m): 10:54am On May 19, 2013
~Bluetooth:

N100 million = $600,000 dollars

Something tells me PDP has a LOT more money than that. I'm sure a single house of reps member (from any party) spends more than that on an election.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Nephews Are Missing, Please Help! / Almakura Nominates Blind Yunusa As Councilor Of Lafia / Geo Political Zones In Nigeria And Their States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.