Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,062 members, 7,956,968 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:42 AM

Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? (2185 Views)

Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard / Cheated By GTB On Withdrawal On An ATM In Ghana.is This Fair? / Banker Stole N24m From Customers' Accounts (Ondo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by acidtalk: 12:25pm On Jan 07, 2013
Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal?

Last week thursday I had course to follow a client to the bank to withdraw a 6 digit sum to give him since the banks were likely to delay paying him while waiting for me to confirm the payment. I had to give instructions to pay him and then left him in the bank to attend to urgent matters.

3 hours later, the client called me and was almost crying that about N56,500 was missing from the total amount he was paid.

He neither has a driver nor a worker at that moment that could have stolen from that money. The painful thing was that the following day was a public holiday so there was no way he could have gone to the bank to lay his complaint. It was a business gone really bad.

Today, to my greatest surprise I entered the bank early this morning and what welcomed me was the shouting and a screaming of female customer who was complaining that over N30,000 was missing from the amount paid to her on friday.

She threatened to recover her money by all means as there is no one else who would. Stolen from her money has she had no worker or family around at that time.

The question is do Bank workers actually steal from their customer's money?

Predictions For The First Quarter Of 2013

https://www.nairaland.com/1150162/predictions-first-quarter-2013
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by geeez: 4:42pm On Jan 07, 2013
First hand information, some do and that's why it's essential to check through the notes to be sure a lower denomination is not hidden in the wad of notes before leaving the counter and should you notice any fraud, do not hesitate to report to the Operations or Branch Head immediately
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by acidtalk: 5:45pm On Jan 07, 2013
Do you know what it means trying to go through notes to the total of N1.6million? My brother you just want to leave that bank to avoid enterying one chance.
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by geeez: 5:47pm On Jan 07, 2013
acidtalk: Do you know what it means trying to go through notes to the total of N1.6million? My brother you just want to leave that bank to avoid enterying one chance.

That's why I didn't say count. And if you deal with large volume of cash, you should buy your counting machine or embrace e channels

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by biolabee(m): 5:48pm On Jan 07, 2013
u are right though because some people have been compromised once they left banks

An option is to do a money transfer next time
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by acidtalk: 5:48pm On Jan 07, 2013
There's a particular bank that even though highly respected they are known for this fraudulent act.
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by biolabee(m): 5:50pm On Jan 07, 2013
u for name n shame
we all could use d knowledge for extra vigilance
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jan 07, 2013
If you can't count your money in Nigeria bank, then take whatever you receive. Even if it 50 k, i will count it right there before leaving. If money is too much, I make sure they use their counting machine.

Once beaten.....

I have been in this situation 2 times and I tell you it's not funny.

If its not 1000 Naira note missing from 100k bundle, it's 5 pieces of 500 Naira note missing from 50 k bundle.

ThankGod for online transaction, if not..I go dey count my money dey go!
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jan 07, 2013
biolabee: u for name n shame
we all could use d knowledge for extra vigilance

I will say its not the bank that does it, but the people paying money to you. If thief dey there, there is nothing you can do. The least they will do if caught is to balance up the remaining cash from another tied down Naira bundle.

Pls, make sure you count before leaving the point. A notice about this is even stated there.
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by acidtalk: 9:21am On Jan 08, 2013
I think what happens is this bank workers know that the customer is more concentrated on the larger bundles and as such their major targets are always the lesser denominations I.e, if you are withdrawing N1,635,760,00. They intentionally mix up bundles of N500 and N200 alongside the N1000 knowing that once you can roundup in calculating like N1,600,000 then now take advantage of trying to steal from the N35,760. Believe me, they are so smart that knowing people who withdraw large sums don't usually like delaying over the counter they take advantage of it.

As for the E-payment method, how will you try to convince on old baba in his 50s or 60s that you will send the money into his account when this man can barely read 'bank alerts'. He wants cash in his hands and his damn eager to have it in his "Alajo" type of bag before he renders any sort of service to you.
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by biolabee(m): 12:09pm On Jan 08, 2013
^^^^ Good one that
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jan 17, 2013
@acidtalk, brov compliment of the season, is lyk u travelled? Well 4me i'll count d money if its 100k down, bt if its mre i simple go into d bulk room and do the counting there,because the banks dudes are very smart.
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by acidtalk: 9:34am On Jan 18, 2013
^^^
Same to you bro!
Which bulk room? For which bank?
I was staunt when one bank told me and a business associate that we can't make use of the bulk room (withdrawals of heavy cash in that bank) because we weren't withdrawing up to N10,000,000 (Ten Million Naira). My brother I wan faint. They felt N6.3m was such a meager amount that we should comfortably withdraw over the counter.

Poor man dey suffer for naija no be small.
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jan 18, 2013
dis is mre dan suffer, ''fela don talk am- suffering and smilin'' but u know dis bank attenders knows who enters d bank to withdraw large sums, and dey will be treated nicely and wit respect. But if na change u cum withdraw na anyhow den go treat d person...
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by acidtalk: 8:58pm On Jan 18, 2013
Never ever receive huge sume (I.e, millions) from a particular bank brach consecutively. Believe it or not their are more criminals working as bank staff more than ever before. Most 'after bank' robbery that a customer faces are usually carried out on the client after the bank staff acts as informat to the criminals.
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by Laird(m): 5:46pm On Feb 10, 2013
BANK TRANSFERS ARE SAFER AND BETTER
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by Nobody: 2:56am On Feb 12, 2013
Yes had experience twice while on visit to 9ja last year.
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by acidtalk: 7:27pm On Feb 26, 2013
Please can you share your experience?

How did you find out and was your money returned?
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by acidtalk: 7:29pm On Feb 26, 2013
Laird: BANK TRANSFERS ARE SAFER AND BETTER
Like earlier said, not everyone is comfortable with a bank transfer. Most especially dealing with someone in their 50s or 60s.
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by acidtalk: 12:05pm On Apr 24, 2013
A friend of mine called me yesterday and crying and lamenting how herself and colleague went to withdraw N750,000 for their boss and event after watching them count the money over the counter, on getting to the office they discovered about N4,600 was missing from that money, their boss threatened to fire them if they don't confess but both ladies are more than certain the money missed while the banker was pretending to assist in helping them put the money in a nylon bag.
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by biolabee(m): 12:07pm On Apr 24, 2013
acidtalk: A friend of mine called me yesterday and crying and lamenting how herself and colleague went to withdraw N750,000 for their boss and event after watching them count the money over the counter, on getting to the office they discovered about N4,600 was missing from that money, their boss threatened to fire them if they don't confess but both ladies are more than certain the money missed while the banker was pretending to assist in helping them put the money in a nylon bag.

thats sad.. na wa
Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by acidtalk: 9:25pm On Apr 24, 2013
biolabee:

thats sad.. na wa

The saddest thing is no one fights for the consumers in this country.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerian Bankers Actually Steal From Customers Money On Withdrawal? by biolabee(m): 9:32pm On Apr 24, 2013
acidtalk:

The saddest thing is no one fights for the consumers in this country.

Consumer Protection Council is compromised

(1) (Reply)

How A Nairalader Was Paid Fake 1000 Naira Note At An ATM / Does This Advert Line Make Sense? See Picture / Make 215k Monthly With These 3 Hots Products

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.