Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,875 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

Patience Fakabelema Jonathan: 15 Things You Did Not Know About Her - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Patience Fakabelema Jonathan: 15 Things You Did Not Know About Her (33489 Views)

APC To PDP: We Can’t Give Portfolios To Thugs, Mistresses As You Did / 54 Incredible Facts That You Might Not Know About Nigeria / You Can’t Divide Bayelsa, Like You Did Rivers - Youths Warn Patience Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Patience Fakabelema Jonathan: 15 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jan 11, 2013
I don't understand the furor over her diction or whatever. The basic thing is that she speaks English everyone can understand, she is not mandated to be perfect in speaking or writing English, nobody is.
She wasn't brought up in an English speaking family, she had to learn the language in school and she speaks the language quite well.
Not everybody likes the English language, we being mandated and forced to learn and speak because its our official language. There's nothing wrong with her English, as long she can communicate properly with the people of naija and they all understand what she's saying, what's the big deal?
Re: Patience Fakabelema Jonathan: 15 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jan 11, 2013
nadias877:
It's not impossible she's a graduate. There are lots of graduates out there who don't have a good command of english language

Yeah, in Nigeria, even though english is the lingua franca.
Re: Patience Fakabelema Jonathan: 15 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jan 11, 2013
Localtrouble:
Bless your soul..the likes of Beyonce, JayZ etc don't speak good english yet theyre celebrated the World over.

Which Jay Z cant speak english? Dude, carry your lie and go jump off somewhere. For someone that didnt graduate High School, if Jay Z and GEJ sat in the same room to discuss you'd think Jay Z was the Phd holder and GEJ the high school drop out.
Re: Patience Fakabelema Jonathan: 15 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Dede1(m): 8:16pm On Jan 11, 2013
Nigerian constitution does not mandate any electable office seeker to be a perfect speaker of English Language. As far as I am concerned, the official language in Nigeria is the one spoken on the streets and market squares in the country and understood by person(s) who never had a formal education which in this case, pidgin.

I do not blame few miscreants on this issue but Nigeria. If there is a country called Republic of Ijo where the official language is Ijo, Mrs GEJ should not have been at the receiving end of these linguistic insults. Anybody who could not understand the meaning of “Tamuno” must hire an interpreter.
Re: Patience Fakabelema Jonathan: 15 Things You Did Not Know About Her by 1025: 12:10am On Jan 12, 2013
9. She says she still cooks for her husband and even goes to Utako Market (Abuja people, wey una dey?) to buy ingredients for soup. O ga ju!
this one na very big lie. this woman and her husband collect like N1B from us for feeding so what and what can he buy from abuja market with such a huge amount of money?

10. Her hobbies? You bet! Reading, writing, travelling and oh yeah, swimming!

how can u write her hubbies without mentioning spoken english? i think her number hubby is scattering english.
Re: Patience Fakabelema Jonathan: 15 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 2:41am On Jan 12, 2013
ogugua88:

[size=13pt]The fact that she can't speak the official language of her nation speaks volumes of her. My parents were both born and raised in Nigeria and speak English, Igbo, and a third language. My father still speaks some Hausa and my mother speaks Yoruba. I'm tired of the countless excuses people keep fabricating to justify their mediocrity in linguistics. If I'm raised in the US and can speak basic Igbo, then there's absolutely no reason why someone born and raised in Nigeria, an English speaking nation, with her numerous degrees should be butchering basic English by saying "The senators before you were once a children" and bombers are "making some children a widow". Unacceptable.[/size]

LWTMB grin grin grin grin grin

At very least, A Nigerian Bachelor's Degree holder has to have a GOOD command of English.

1 Like

Re: Patience Fakabelema Jonathan: 15 Things You Did Not Know About Her by denzel2009: 2:48am On Jan 12, 2013
shilling: She swims? I find that hard to believe lol

sharks and whales no dey swim?

2 Likes

Re: Patience Fakabelema Jonathan: 15 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 4:20am On Jan 12, 2013
Dede1: Nigerian constitution does not mandate any electable office seeker to be a perfect speaker of English Language. As far as I am concerned, the official language in Nigeria is [/b]the one spoken on the streets and market squares in the country and understood by person(s) who never had a formal education which in this case, pidgin. I do not blame few miscreants on this issue but Nigeria.[b] If there is a country called Republic of Ijo where the official language is Ijo, Mrs GEJ should not have been at the receiving end of these linguistic insults

One day youll realize that your "concerns" or what you "believe" are neither facts nor law; you seem to have that delusion.

While you might be right that the Nigerian constitution doesnt have a "proficiency in english language" requirement, the fact remains that the Constitution is the law of the land, and the law of the land says the lingua franca of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is english, as such, its only right that any public official within that jurisdiction has more than an average command of it. So, until Ijaw becomes the official language of Nigeria, Mrs Jonathan and others will have to learn how to speak it properly when addressing the public.

Everything to you is always a tribal issue. Arent you even concerned that Patience and GEJ are college graduates? What does that even tell you about the quality of education in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Patience Fakabelema Jonathan: 15 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Nobody: 5:17am On Jan 12, 2013
Flyboy Zee: Whats the big deal about her grammer?

I have heard a lot of Yoruba profs speak even more awful english than the Dame.
Secondly, the learning and teaching of science does not require you to be the most potent and prolific english speaker. Most science courses until recently make do with a WAEC PASS grade in English Language. For the records, I served in a tertiary institition In Northern Nigeria and keot on wondering what criteria was used for the recruitment of lecturers since most of them could barely speak one simple correct sentence.

Make una free the woman jare, No be she be the most educated person in Naija wey speak the worst english.

Look at the bolded. Now imagine if you owned a conglomerate, and a man came to you seeking employment with a degree from the sort of educational background you described above, would you be inclined or eager to hire him if you had the choice to hire someone with the same degree from a college in a place like, say, England that is known to have a high educational standard?

Keep extolling mediocrity, just stop getting mad that expatriates with the "same" qualifications are getting hired ahead of you.

1 Like

Re: Patience Fakabelema Jonathan: 15 Things You Did Not Know About Her by onyfrank: 8:58am On Jan 12, 2013
13. Her marriage with the President is blessed with two children: a cheeky boy, Ariwera Adolphus Jonathan and a beautiful girl, Aruabi Jonathan. Click the link below to see all picture
bt i heard that she did not bore any kid bt married a wife 4 Oga Joe who bore d two kids. Wel hw tru is it?
Re: Patience Fakabelema Jonathan: 15 Things You Did Not Know About Her by anulaxad(m): 10:39am On Jan 12, 2013
She is a lesbian that's why she cannot even produce one child for the suckmysillymothercocker AKA bad luck egghead fucktardathon.
Re: Patience Fakabelema Jonathan: 15 Things You Did Not Know About Her by Agalasis(m): 11:03am On Dec 21, 2015
Wow!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

4 Soldiers Wounded As Troops Clear Boko Haram Terrorists From Borno. Photos / CAC De-registers "Enough Is Enough" Business Name / Matawalle Commends Umahi For Joining APC, Attacks South-South Governors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.