Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,421 members, 7,850,497 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 11:13 PM

is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? (2126 Views)

South West Votes Is Irrelevant In Nigeria Politics / WAEC Posts Irrelevant Advertorial On Buhari's Certificate In Guardian Newspaper / How Prepare Is Southwest ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by bilms(m): 10:21pm On Jan 10, 2013
The issue in discus is not about party. If the pdp truly want the pdp rep as speaker,acn as no say,and there is nothing the acn can do to prevent. Even the choice of sw as speaker was not supportd within pdp.
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by ba7man(m): 6:03am On Jan 11, 2013
bilms: The issue in discus is not about party. If the pdp truly want the pdp rep as speaker,acn as no say,and there is nothing the acn can do to prevent. Even the choice of sw as speaker was not supportd within pdp.
Frankly,the Southwest is irrelevant in Nigerian(PDP) politics and we(The people) don't care. When they were "relevant", things were worse off for us. If a South-western President can with-hold Lagos's monthly allocation, who cares about a SW speaker?? We're not concerned about holding Political posts but getting results from our leaders.
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by bilms(m): 6:11am On Jan 11, 2013
Your point is really noted. So in your opinion,do you think we are getting result from the leaders,if yes,how?
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by ba7man(m): 6:35am On Jan 11, 2013
bilms: Your point is really noted. So in your opinion,do you think we are getting result from the leaders,if yes,how?
A white folk once commented in a write-up i read once online that "He wondered what all the fuss was about Fashola until he thot deeper and realized that Nigerians have been so starved of a working Government, they'd appreciate anyone that makes an effort". No, we're still not getting the required results we truely deserve but at least, of recent, I'v noticed a trend of our leaders making an effort to appear busy....its a start and we'll get there by God's grace.
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by dayokanu(m): 7:37am On Jan 11, 2013
bilms: Your point is really noted. So in your opinion,do you think we are getting result from the leaders,if yes,how?

Yes we are getting the desired results from our leaders especially when we compared to what PDP has in stock

Aregbesola is constructing roads all over Osun as against Oyinlola who took loans to construct 6 stadium in Osun

AMosun has made Oyo secure as against the anarchy unleashed on Oyo people by the PDP Adedibu and Alao-Akala
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by Nobody: 8:46am On Jan 11, 2013
dayokanu:

Yes we are getting the desired results from our leaders especially when we compared to what PDP has in stock

Aregbesola is constructing roads all over Osun as against Oyinlola who took loans to construct 6 stadium in Osun

AMosun has made Oyo secure as against the anarchy unleashed on Oyo people by the PDP Adedibu and Alao-Akala

Dayo, you mean Ajimobi of Oyo state?
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by miiraaj: 9:11am On Jan 11, 2013
bilms: SOUTHWEST IS IRRELEVANT IN NIGERIAN POLITICS. Southwest is irrelevant in the present Nigerian politics. The irrelevance of this region ensures that,it didn't occupy any meaningful position of power,like the position of the president ,vice president,senate president,speaker of the house,chief judge,deputy senate president and deputy speaker in Nigeria. Do you agree with this statement?
@op,how old are you? I suspect you wia born on May 30th,2007.
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by Gbawe: 1:05pm On Jan 11, 2013
@Ba7man and Dayokanu.

Well said guys. Anyone who can take the concept that man and his life evolves and marry that idea with history will see the SW is on track. No one is saying things are perfect or even near ideal but there is movement in the right direction - far more so than when we were "relevant" with a President and Speaker of the lower house both from the SW. In any case, being politically relevant in the way OP wants is ephemeral and worthless in the Nigerian context considering the center and its powerful offices are tools of looting more than anything else.

Dayokanu's example of events in Oyo is very apt as a powerful indication things are changing for the better . That Oyo is now peaceful and no longer a State where illiterate thugs lord it over Professors is appreciable. Infrastructural development is going on throughout the SW with a pace, quality and urgency greater than when we were "relevant". Abeg, OP should wake up and see what needs to be seen so he can appreciate what the people of the SW did and how their choice is now paying off for them. The SW is not paradise but things are improving as a good start. We can only hope for better based on what we have seen so far.

2 Likes

Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by Olaolufred(m): 1:58pm On Jan 11, 2013
afam4eva: @Illugunboy
Pls desist from insulting a fellow forumite.

@topic
The topic should have read "Southwest is irrelevant in national politics". As it is, even though i've been of the opinion that most ACN governments have not lived up to the hype, they have outclassed their PDP predecessors in terms of performance. It's good to have one's own destiny at one's hands than to be a tool in the hands of the federal government whose whims will determine your fate.

You really impressed me with this.
Regional co-operation is required to get the dividends of democracy close to your people.
We know PDP fraudulently acquired SW states under OBJ.
They had good fraudulent opportunity which they did not use well.
Ngige got same fraudulent opprtunity and use it to win the heart of the Anambrarians.
The worst of ACN governors still is clearly better than the best of any PDP govs in any SW states.
We chose development and jettisoned their central corruption.
What we need is physical and tangible developments. Not central power that is retrogressive.
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by Olaolufred(m): 2:02pm On Jan 11, 2013
dayokanu:

My brother, Oyo is for Ajimobi
Ogun is for Amosun.

Your point is taken though.
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by bilms(m): 4:10pm On Jan 11, 2013
Olaolufred:

My brother, Oyo is for Ajimobi
Ogun is for Amosun.

Your point is taken though.

noted....

but in my opinion,both the pdp and acn are not in anyway better than each other..the only difference is that, they have different focus...for example, i can not say Aregbesola has performed better than oyinlola,but what he his doing is different from oyinlola.
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by dayokanu(m): 5:34pm On Jan 11, 2013
bilms:

noted....

but in my opinion,both the pdp and acn are not in anyway better than each other..the only difference is that, they have different focus...for example, i can not say Aregbesola has performed better than oyinlola,but what he his doing is different from oyinlola.

Only a dishonest man would see what Aregbesola is doing and claim he is no different from Oyinlola. Let me ask you which one impacts the life of the people constructing roads-Aregbesola or building 6 stadium-Oyinlola?

How can anyone say in Oyo State PDP and ACN are not different?

When was the last time you heard that NURTW went to kill and destroy properties in Oyo like we usually had during PDP? When was the last time you heard under ACN that a NURTW chairman impeached a sitting governor in the house
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by seunfly: 7:26pm On Jan 11, 2013
bilms:

noted....

my friend, you are very wrong about oyinlola and aregbesola. Can you tell me what oyinlola acheived as governor? Is it his epileptic/portable university with tution fee of private university without the standard of private universities or the six stadium or the increament of tution fee of all institutions in Osun state. All he does is share allocation among his associate cos they beleive they will win any election irrespective of their performance and got their fingers burnt.
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by bilms(m): 12:37am On Jan 12, 2013
Sure i can,brb. First,are u in osun state during oyinlola's tenure and are still there now? If yes,we can proceed.
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by bilms(m): 6:03pm On Jan 12, 2013
?
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by Nobody: 12:52am On Jan 13, 2013
ba7man: Frankly,the Southwest is irrelevant in Nigerian(PDP) politics and we(The people) don't care. When they were "relevant", things were worse off for us. If a South-western President can with-hold Lagos's monthly allocation, who cares about a SW speaker?? We're not concerned about holding Political posts but getting results from our leaders.

You have to care. Honestly. You said you want result from your leaders but you are not willing to put some one there, how will you get the result you want. From the way that incident finally played out, I know that the days when the SW stays in opposition and still benefits are finally over. A time will come when they will want the presidency once again, I wonder how they will get it from opposition, that if they don’t start to cry “Marginalization” before then.
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by sbeezy8: 1:00am On Jan 13, 2013
no region is irrelevant that being said SW saw no progress AT ALL when obj had the highest position in Nigeria.

Political appointments mean nothing for your region. GEJ is president but is east west road still fixed? is Bayelsa an investment haven? no lmfao.

OBJ being president only opended SW eyes, Niger deltans are catching on aswell. soon as GEJ leaves office and no resource control their eyes will open too.
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by ba7man(m): 5:35am On Jan 13, 2013
Bob_E:

You have to care. Honestly. You said you want result from your leaders but you are not willing to put some one there, how will you get the result you want. From the way that incident finally played out, I know that the days when the SW stays in opposition and still benefits are finally over. A time will come when they will want the presidency once again, I wonder how they will get it from opposition, that if they don’t start to cry “Marginalization” before then.
That's tribal politics you're refering to over there. I don't care if a yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, PDP, ACN, CPC etc heads this country but as long as he's credible. When OBJ was in power, you can see how bad the SW had it....Proof that your tribesman in power doesn't automatically transform to progress. Those crying "Marginalization" are just missing out on hand-outs from the FG.
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by bilms(m): 10:41am On Jan 13, 2013
Nice point
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by Gbawe: 10:48am On Jan 13, 2013
sbeezy8: no region is irrelevant that being said SW saw no progress AT ALL when obj had the highest position in Nigeria.

Political appointments mean nothing for your region. GEJ is president but is east west road still fixed? is Bayelsa an investment haven? no lmfao.

OBJ being president only opended SW eyes, Niger deltans are catching on aswell. soon as GEJ leaves office and no resource control their eyes will open too.

Correct. In fact GEJ is ominously empowering a militant class everywhere in the SS same as OBJ provided an arena where it was the norm for illiterates like Adedibu to cower Professors and first-class technocrats. In fact, with Nigeria currently, it could be argued that "political relevance" may be a curse the same way our nation has helped to popularise the notion that oil is a curse. Political relevance my foot. I don't know why Nigerians remain unable to shun emotion to see what matters.
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by Nobody: 11:25am On Jan 13, 2013
dridowu: Most important thing is SOUTH WEST is AHEAD of Nigeria

Ignorant comment. You can't claim to be ahead while you're still receiving monthly stipends from the federal government to take of yourself. If you really want to show that you're ahead, tell the federal government to stop giving you "feeding money" every month.
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by bilms(m): 12:01pm On Jan 13, 2013
Ur point is noted.
Re: is Southwest really Irrelevant In Nigerian Politics? by dridowu: 12:58pm On Jan 14, 2013
J12:

Ignorant comment. You can't claim to be ahead while you're still receiving monthly stipends from the federal government to take of yourself. If you really want to show that you're ahead, tell the federal government to stop giving you "feeding money" every month.
NOBODY WILL TELL THE BLIND MAN THAT ITS RAINING
NA JEALOUS GO FI.RE U

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ameachi Denied Access To Government House / More Money More Problem. Fashola VS Tinubu. {photos} / Remembering The Fuel Subsidy Removal Of 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.