Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,641 members, 7,809,405 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill (9069 Views)

INEC May Cancel Rivers, Abia Elections / Amaechi May Cancel NGF Meeting In Deference To Jonathan / Jonathan May Cancel Israeli Internet Spy Contract (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by rodeo0070(m): 6:28am On Jan 11, 2013
The Forum for Justice and Human Rights Defence said on Thursday that unless sections 37 and 43 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria were amended, the country would not win the war against same-sex marriage.

The National Coordinator of the group, Mr. Oghenejabor Ikimi, also described as “myopic, misconceived and unfounded,” the statement credited to the Senate President, Mr. David Mark, that the bill on prohibition of same sex marriage was irreversible.

Ikimi, who spoke to our correspondent in Yenagoa, said the provisions of the proposed law against same-sex marriage were inconsistent with sections 37 and 43 of the constitution.

He said, “We state without fear or favour that unless the provisions of sections 37 and 43, which guarantee the right to private and family life and the right to freedom from discrimination are specifically amended to exclude cases of same-sex marriage, the effect of the proposed law by Section 1 sub section 3 of the 1999 Constitution would remain void abinitio (from the beginning).”

He also reminded the lawmakers that Nigeria was a signatory to the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights, which guarantees the sexual freedom of individuals.

Ikimi explained that as a member of the United Nations, Nigeria had sworn not to approve any bill against same-sex marriage.

He said, “As a responsible and responsive human rights organisation devoid of any gay affiliation, we owe it a duty to inform our legislators and the Nigerian public of Nigeria’s commitment as a member country to the United Nations to eliminate all existing legislation, if any, that discriminates, based on gender and s

SOURCE: www.punchng.com/news/why-nigeria-may-lose-war-against-same-sex-marriage/

2 Likes

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by luvinhubby(m): 7:08am On Jan 11, 2013
God punish him !!!! angry
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by NoContract(m): 1:10pm On Jan 11, 2013
[size=18pt]Gullibility is a failure of social intelligence in which a person is easily tricked or manipulated into an ill-advised course of action. It is closely related to credulity, which is the tendency to believe unlikely propositions that are unsupported by evidence.

Most Nigerians (and Nairalanders) fall into these category.

If u lie, God punish u![/size]

3 Likes

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by swtchicgurl: 1:11pm On Jan 11, 2013
hmmnn undecided 3rd
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by sylve11: 1:13pm On Jan 11, 2013
Funny people! grin cool
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jan 11, 2013
Thunda fire him mouth
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by sunkoye: 1:14pm On Jan 11, 2013
our legis are known to be parochial in finking. thorough finking?-for where!...anywia belle face ni.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by Emylexray(m): 1:14pm On Jan 11, 2013
Please o, how does that gay stuff work? I mean
positive + positive =repulsion.

Na wa o!
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by vanstanzy(m): 1:15pm On Jan 11, 2013
Una just wan this way-ward life sha. angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by hagma37yahoocom: 1:17pm On Jan 11, 2013
Please, why are we deliberating and arguing whether or not about same sex marriage. Its a decree not a right to. We in Africa have norms and values. We don't need gays and lesbians in our midst. We can never support their plea.Its irritating and disgraceful.

5 Likes

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by dabrake(m): 1:18pm On Jan 11, 2013
I no get comment but I must 'talk' something

#wengerOut.

1 Like

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by djeezy(m): 1:21pm On Jan 11, 2013
They cannot amend those sections. Those rights are innate and inalienable. They are sacrosanct. How can you attempt to meddle with what a man does in his own private life? Inasmuch as I am not encouraging same sex marriage, they have to reckon humans have free will and volition. Someone has chosen to go to hell, why don't you let him to go hell? Law and morality are mutually exclusive/inclusive as may be the case.

9 Likes

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jan 11, 2013
hagma37@yahoo.com:
Please, why are we deliberating and arguing whether or not about same sex marriage. Its a decree not a right to. We in Africa have norms and values. We don't need gays and lesbians in our midst. We can never support their plea.Its irritating and disgraceful.
It's a decree...so because you have norms and values, you're gonna tell someone how to live his life? I'm not an advocate of same sex relationship/marriage but we must realize that these people have the right to dictate to themselves the course of their lives.

4 Likes

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by yommyuk: 1:23pm On Jan 11, 2013
tongue

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by Shalome(m): 1:23pm On Jan 11, 2013
Hmmm,the gays are staging a comeback
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by LagosBoi2(m): 1:23pm On Jan 11, 2013
dabrake: I no get comment but I must 'talk' something

typical fuul

#wengerOut.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by israel007: 1:23pm On Jan 11, 2013
Good.

Meanwhile na the people wey the shout sabi look for boys pass. NonNnnsense
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by Smooyis(m): 1:24pm On Jan 11, 2013
We need God's intervention, Not Law ammendment alone

1 Like

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by SlyIg(f): 1:27pm On Jan 11, 2013
What's your business with what people do in their private room - Woke Soyinka.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jan 11, 2013
SlyIg: What's your business with what people do in their private room - Woke Soyinka.
I wonder o...
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by elampiro(m): 1:28pm On Jan 11, 2013
So UN is forcing countries to support gays and lesbians. Evil one world agenda.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:28pm On Jan 11, 2013
Tor. But I think too much noise is been made on this same.sex thing.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jan 11, 2013
Who will ever believe that one day in Nigeria, leaders will be delebrating whether to allow marriage between man and man / woman and woman .
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jan 11, 2013
My fooolish ex will be happy now.deranged psychos.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by brightk(m): 1:32pm On Jan 11, 2013
abeg make una nor allow dat tin happen for naija.. make all gays lesbian go south africa go reckon with their counter parts..i nor won suffer the wrath
of God ooo shey una remember wetin happen 4 bible wen dis kind madness start.

BTW wetin man si 4 man body wen go make e rod begin raise head.. woman never finish for this earth na....
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by anitank(f): 1:34pm On Jan 11, 2013
SlyIg: What's your business with what people do in their private room - Woke Soyinka.
This is not private anymore
Plus God wasn't stu-pid when he created Man and a Woman to be his mate and companion

2 Likes

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by humpito(m): 1:35pm On Jan 11, 2013
The end is near.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by 50calibre(m): 1:36pm On Jan 11, 2013
I don't know why there is still a debate about same-sex marriage in Nigeria, the law banning it should be passed immediately, gay marriage is repulsive, unnatural, evil, sinful and abominable.

In a religious country like Nigeria, there are some moral and religious standards that should always be upheld

1 Like

Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jan 11, 2013
Awesome. tongue
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by harobed81: 1:45pm On Jan 11, 2013
hagma37@yahoo.com:

point of correction,they are already living in our midst and because they haven't bn throwing it in our faces does not mean they dont exist either.Even though i'm nt an advocate for same sex marriage i say y dnt you live them to their act , God is in heaven and will reward each person according to their act,you cant force pple evn the bible said i have placed before u life and death but i urge you to please choose life.My point is you cant force pple to live in a certain way even God IS NOT forcing pple to live in a certain He merely urges us to.
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by tellwisdom: 1:45pm On Jan 11, 2013
Wht is woman write defend saying?? angry
Re: Same-sex Marriage Ban : Right To Private Life Law May Cancel Out Bill by OILOFGLADNESS: 1:45pm On Jan 11, 2013
rodeo0070: The Forum for Justice and Human Rights Defence said on Thursday that unless sections 37 and 43 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria were amended, the country would not win the war against same-sex marriage.

The National Coordinator of the group, Mr. Oghenejabor Ikimi, also described as “myopic, misconceived and unfounded,” the statement credited to the Senate President, Mr. David Mark, that the bill on prohibition of same sex marriage was irreversible.

Ikimi, who spoke to our correspondent in Yenagoa, said the provisions of the proposed law against same-sex marriage were inconsistent with sections 37 and 43 of the constitution.

He said, “We state without fear or favour that unless the provisions of sections 37 and 43, which guarantee the right to private and family life and the right to freedom from discrimination are specifically amended to exclude cases of same-sex marriage, the effect of the proposed law by Section 1 sub section 3 of the 1999 Constitution would remain void abinitio (from the beginning).”

He also reminded the lawmakers that Nigeria was a signatory to the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights, which guarantees the sexual freedom of individuals.

Ikimi explained that as a member of the United Nations, Nigeria had sworn not to approve any bill against same-sex marriage.

He said, “As a responsible and responsive human rights organisation devoid of any gay affiliation, we owe it a duty to inform our legislators and the Nigerian public of Nigeria’s commitment as a member country to the United Nations to eliminate all existing legislation, if any, that discriminates, based on gender and s

SOURCE: www.punchng.com/news/why-nigeria-may-lose-war-against-same-sex-marriage/

GOD WILL SOON FIGHT HIS BATTLE, THIS YEAR 2013, HE HAS STEPPED INTO THE CASE OF GREAT NIGERIA.
GEJ CANNOT DO IT ALONE
BUT OUR PRAYER WILL GO ALONG WAY TO STOP THIS MADNESS.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Osinbajo And His Many Senseless Moves!!! / Total Darkness In The World For 15 Days As Said By Nasa / Military Strength: The Top 5 Nations That Could Defeat The World(WWIII).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.