Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. (10543 Views)

Yakubu Aiyegbeni And Kalu Uche Named Nigeria’s Richest Players / Yakubu Aiyegbeni Named Nigeria’s Richest Player / Yakubu Aiyegbeni With His Wife & Daughters (Holiday Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by TayoD1(m): 6:09pm On Jan 12, 2013
This is a very interesting article about our own Yak. I think the writer is silent about one main reason behind his woes - the perception that he is much older than his official age. I do remember a Premier League Manager saying that the Yak's official age is his "Nigerian age". That says a lot about what many may think of him. Enjoy the article.

In November, Robin Van Persie scored in Manchester United's 2-1 win over Arsenal. It made headlines not just because he had found the net against his former club, but also because it meant he was one of two players to have scored against every single one of the 20 current Premier League teams.

So who was the other?

The answer took me by surprise. Not as much as the fact that this particular player finished as the fourth leading goal scorer in the league last year, despite playing for a club that was relegated. Or the fact that, despite being still just 29 at the end of the 2011-12 season, he moved to Guangzhou R&F in China for just over US $1.5 million, the value of his release clause.

Yes, I'm talking about Yakubu Aiyegbeni. He's now the answer to a trivia question and it's a good one because few players have been forgotten by the mainstream as quickly as he has.

His case also illustrates how the transfer market can work in mysterious ways. Van Persie is nine months younger. He scored nearly twice many goals as Yakubu last season. But he moved for more than 20 times as much and was pursued by half a dozen top teams around Europe. Meanwhile, nobody showed much interest in "the Yak."

This was despite the fact that, after Blackburn's relegation, he clearly said he didn't want to play in the Championship and was looking for a move. And he had a release clause in his contract, so there was no haggling on price.

Obviously he got a big payday at Guangzhou R&F -- around $7 million a season for three years, according to reports. And obviously, you tend to get a bit cynical when he tells you that it was all about "the challenge" of a new league and the "warmth and sincerity" of the Chinese people.

But it's not as if Yakubu would have earned substantially less had he found a club in a major European league. This is a guy who reached double figures in league goals in all but two of the past 11 years (and in one of those seasons, he missed seven months due to injury). Yet according to Yakubu, Guangzhou R&F were the only club to show genuine interest.

Why?

The answer may have to do with our prejudices. Yakubu's body type is such that he doesn't look much like an athlete. He also has -- rightly or wrongly -- a reputation for being lazy and not doing much off the ball. You can see why scouts would look at him and -- between the body type and the perceived work ethic -- conclude he wasn't worth the money.

Yet he has scored 96 Premier League goals. To put it in context, only three players younger than him have scored more: Darren Bent, Van Persie and Wayne Rooney. The latter two spent most of their careers at far better teams that score many more goals. A Moneyball devotee would suggest that, because goal scoring is so important, Yakubu's numbers, juxtaposed with his age, fee and salary would make signing him a no-brainer.

A traditionalist, who relies on the so-called "eye test," would be a lot more hesitant, precisely because he lacks the "tools" we so often associate with top players. A bit like some of the guys Billy Beane signed for the Oakland A's.

Personally, I'm somewhere in the middle. Yakubu's limitations are as evident as his record. But I can't help feeling that he got something of a raw deal. Nicolas Anelka and Didier Drogba also made big-money moves to China, of course, but their situations were a bit different. They're a bit older and, more importantly, they've played for big clubs throughout their careers. With a little nous, a number of teams could have put together a package (especially given the low fee) that Yakubu would have found more attractive than a move to China. And he could have helped someone this very season, whether in the Premier League or elsewhere.

The guys who get paid to make the big decisions at football clubs obviously felt differently. It's not as if he has torn up the Chinese league, but he nevertheless showed that the scoring touch is still there, notching nine goals in 14 games. I can't vouch for the quality of the Chinese league, but it's more than Drogba and Anelka scored, and presumably they were playing against the same standard of opposition.

At the very least, it's remarkable how a guy who has scored so much in the Premier League could disappear from people's radar screens so quickly.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/2656?cc=5901

3 Likes

Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by Itoroetti(m): 11:43pm On Jan 13, 2013
D same can be said about jay jay okocha.some footballers are less fortunate.even in current world soccer,u can't mention 5midfielders that are better than jay jay

4 Likes

Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by Jarus(m): 1:43pm On Jan 15, 2013
Good one. Even in Nigeria, the guy is underrated and 'forgotten'. Nigerians dont even know he is their country's all-time 3rd highest goal scorer. So it is easy to forgive the British and EPL followers for forgetting or underrating him.

1 Like

Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by antontech(m): 1:55pm On Jan 15, 2013
Who is marksman,una sabi insult person

1 Like

Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by harlos: 1:55pm On Jan 15, 2013
Also forgotten in the eagle's squad but i thought they wanted to call him back before
Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by Umunede(m): 1:58pm On Jan 15, 2013
That miss in 2010 world cup contributed

2 Likes

Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by bleeztouch(m): 1:59pm On Jan 15, 2013
Yakubu Onye-owo

1 Like

Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jan 15, 2013
Abeg, Yakubu is an average striker.

Yes he scores goals but he is no more than a Darren Bent kind of striker. There was a season Darren Bent scored 20 goals (world cup season if I remember clearly).

There is nothing exceptional about his positioning or his finishing. This is what separates a striker of Van Persie stature to Yakubu. Van Persie scores difficult goals in difficult times. He is a talisman. He is the kind of striker you need when you team is losing. There is a skill and dedication that money cant buy.

3 Likes

Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by executinal(m): 2:01pm On Jan 15, 2013
He could have remained with Blackburn than move away to China. Chinese league kill carrier, Anelka and Drogba is trying everything possible to move away from Chinese league.

Yaks went to China because of the cash, but who watch Chinese League? all eyes is on EPL, Laliga, Italy French league etc.
Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by crazygod(m): 2:03pm On Jan 15, 2013
Jst as yekini was forgotten. Every celebrity be it artist or sportsman should realise that no condition is permanent. Advise, make haste while the sun shines.

1 Like

Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by ochukoccna: 2:05pm On Jan 15, 2013
The YAK will ETERNAY be remembered by Nigerians for that horrible miss against South Korea in the 2010 World Cup
He&Darren Bent share a sort of similar fate
Proven goal scorers who never got the respect they deserve
Never can forget what he did to an Arsenal team supposed to beat them at home and wrecked Yoonited in front of their own fans in his last EPL season
[/quote]

3 Likes

Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by ochukoccna: 2:06pm On Jan 15, 2013
The YAK will ETERNALLY be remembered by Nigerians for that horrible miss against South Korea in the 2010 World Cup
He&Darren Bent share a sort of similar fate
Proven goal scorers who never got the respect they deserve
Never can forget what he did to an Arsenal team supposed to beat them at home and how he wrecked Yoonited in front of their own fans in his last EPL season
Really would have been a bargain buy for the EPL's struggling teams this season.
Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by nelson212(m): 2:06pm On Jan 15, 2013
am I on the first page?? "Space reserve" a beg I dey toilet, I go comment when I finish.grin
Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by Marksule(m): 2:08pm On Jan 15, 2013
Well. I guess because he is african
Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by ochukoccna: 2:09pm On Jan 15, 2013
Marksule: Well. I guess because he is african
White man's world
Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:19pm On Jan 15, 2013
No doubt, Yak gets the goals. But his misses are painful. He is an unsung hero.

1 Like

Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by romanlaw(m): 2:24pm On Jan 15, 2013
Awhalin: Abeg forget that man.

Stop posting this advert. The drug is fake. My friend tried it and the same problem persisted.
Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by honeric01(m): 2:41pm On Jan 15, 2013
Chai,Yakabu was a great man! wink

1 Like

Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by BANGASOUP1: 2:42pm On Jan 15, 2013
i made fp
Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by COOLDUN: 2:43pm On Jan 15, 2013
Umunede: That miss in 2010 world cup contributed

You meant when he turned to central defender to the South Korea instead of a striker to Nigeria? this writer forgot that so many players with much better records than his are far forgotten after a season out of the EPL. Yakubu tried but nothing too special about him.
Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jan 15, 2013
Una know how many people swear for am after THAT miss?
Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by Abbey2sam(m): 3:08pm On Jan 15, 2013
We have great players who are forgotten, not just yaks.

Ask Samuel Eto fils
Though he earn a lot of money
Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by Abbey2sam(m): 3:09pm On Jan 15, 2013
Okocha JJ was a better player, but where's he today?
Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by Vado(m): 3:12pm On Jan 15, 2013
crazygod: Jst as yekini was forgotten. Every celebrity be it artist or sportsman should realise that no condition is permanent. Advise, make haste while the sun shines.

Make wetin??
Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jan 15, 2013
That is because oyinbos are no fools..Yakubu is over 40 years old..Why will you buy a striker that old??
Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by earthgreeners(m): 3:22pm On Jan 15, 2013
Logicboy03: Abeg, Yakubu is an average striker.

Yes he scores goals but he is no more than a Darren Bent kind of striker. There was a season Darren Bent scored 20 goals (world cup season if I remember clearly).

There is nothing exceptional about his positioning or his finishing. This is what separates a striker of Van Persie stature to Yakubu. Van Persie scores difficult goals in difficult times. He is a talisman. He is the kind of striker you need when you team is losing. There is a skill and dedication that money cant buy.

You are mad, tell Van Persie to go play for Norwich city or QPR maybe he go even smell net...Yak was a striker that punished all defenders in EPL..ask John Terry and Rio Fedinand

2 Likes

Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by jadakiss213(m): 3:23pm On Jan 15, 2013
;Dolodo...its make HAY while the sun shines.
crazygod: Jst as yekini was forgotten. Every celebrity be it artist or sportsman should realise that no condition is permanent. Advise, make haste while the sun shines.
grin
Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by tayoccu(m): 3:34pm On Jan 15, 2013
What I remember Yakubu for grin grin

Re: The Premier League's Forgotten Marksman - Yakubu Aiyegbeni. by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jan 15, 2013
Abbey2sam: Okocha JJ was a better player, but where's he today?
At home with his family

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

France 2019: Dennerby Lists Ebi, Oparanozie, 25 Others For World Cup Final Camp / NPFL: Enyimba Vs Akwa United On 8th March 2015,4pm / AFCON 2019: FG Releases Funds For Supper Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.