Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,955 members, 7,824,997 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores (20601 Views)

Why Struggle With Domestic Chores? / Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, / How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Eneze1(f): 4:25pm On Jan 15, 2013
bjcole: @ Op, i hope u r not looking 4 trouble, these women will attack u, hope u r ready? Well to answer ur question, doing a house chores is not a big deal, its ur house, when both husband & wife join hands together, the tasks become easier, however u dont take a house chores as a responbility u share wit ur wife, it shoud be out of freewill, u ve ur major financial roles to take care.

what if financial roles are carried by both the husband and the wife?
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jan 15, 2013
coogar:

what has having a mother or not having gotta do with this? women are the same everywhere unless of course you are one dark-skinned hermaphrodite!

moving furnitures, heavy lifting, installation of electrical units, etc. sciences like cooking, washing, cleaning are feminine chores. everyone should play his/her position. if my wife's car breaks down 30 miles away, my duty is to drive down there and give her my own car to continue her journey while i sort her vehicle out - just like i expect to meet a steamy bowl of jollof rice after work every evening.

chai! I di egwu!!
**topic is overheatn d polity. Runs for cover**
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jan 15, 2013
greatgod2012: I intentionally ignored this thread, because, i knew its going to turn into war zone.

Thay being said, i will say, everybody should do what seems right in one's sight to make d marriage work. Marriage is not child's play, it requires maturity, understanding, tolerance and compromise.
If d hubby is matured enough to know that, he doesnt have to let d wife work herself to death in d house, d4, she should be assisted, then d wife must also be matured enough to appreciate d man and not always impose it on d man.
If d man doesnt help d woman in household chores, d woman should understand d ego of d man and tolerate him, doing what she is capable to do, not overworking herself to death,which means, that shouldnt be a reason to file for divorce.
Marriage is either simple or complex, depending on d type of individuals involved in a certain marriage.
As far as im concerned, my man helped me in household chores, but i have never and will never impose it on him or remind him about one, hes always d one that decide which one to help me out with.
Above all, no two marriages are d same,everyone should try and make his/her marriage work.........im tired of talking about housechores again, whichever anyone wants, let him/her do.
May God help us all.

shikina! THREAD CLOSED!
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jan 15, 2013
fellis: I had wanted to reply the above post but after reading greadgod's comment and this part of coogar's post
I decided not to.
The dude is obviously the type of person that would make any illogical statement and even insult his mother rather than admit he is wrong.

why are u taking this personal? Does it...?
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Akiika: 5:42pm On Jan 15, 2013
You guys should go and read this awakening piece by Prof. Pius Akinasanmi, rather than posting things that are not beneficial to an average brain dead Nigeria http://saharareporters.com/column/2015-i-endorse-you-spectocrat-pius-adesanmi
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jan 15, 2013
Now i understand why most Nigerian women look like their husbands' mothers! By the time she wakes up at 5am, makes breakfast for the kids and hubby, packs the children's lunch boxes and gets the children ready for school, then she goes to work and returns back home to help the kids with assignments, make dinner and still prepare for bed action o boy and there she must give an A performance also. Those woman will definitely look twice the age of her mates who have caring husbands that pitch in. Even if she has a maid she must still supervise all house chores and do the cooking herself and yes she mustn't forget to get an ugly maid o, so she won't take her husband...lol Then when the man starts following young girls he'll have the usual excuse of how she let herself go...smh

1 Like

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by oradee: 5:53pm On Jan 15, 2013
many men comment bout protecting and providing financially yet i know quite a number of men whose wife pays partly/fully the rents, takes up either dstv/fuel bills,clothing for the kids sometimes,etc...how much do all men earn that they brag bout their financial role?

yet whether u earn a monthly paycheck or not (salary workers),whether u look for contracts and u find or not, ualways expect a home cooked meal,neat appartment and a home u can go to,yet all she asks for is assistance...not thats shes tranfering her responsibiliies permanatly to u...
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by dayokanu(m): 6:18pm On Jan 15, 2013
If we share financial responsibilities then we would share domestic responsibilities
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by omiobo: 6:20pm On Jan 15, 2013
bukatyne: Lol at strategising? @no 4, you don't expect your wife to contribute at all?

I don't expect but she can if she feels like.
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by akino(m): 7:26pm On Jan 15, 2013
bukatyne: I don't want to attack you but ask some honest questions:
1. When your wife is doing the chores and you are at home, what do you do?
2. When you are both back from work and she is preparing the meals, what do you do?
3. Before you got married, who helped you with chores? and if nobody, what has changed now?
4. Do you think it's your wife's duty to contribute financially to your expenses @ home?

thanks.
Honestly i dont believe my wife should play any active role in meeting d needs of the family.she can support willingly and no offence if doesnt.
I like helping out with the chores but i cant take it as responsibility.
When we both came back from work tired and worn out,tea and bread may be the best option.If this continues for a week, we will decide if i must eat out everyday or not.
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Metallurgist: 7:34pm On Jan 15, 2013
If men ar men then women wont bother men about housework, if the man is solely responsible for his house financially, then women will not hav any excuse to bother him and house house will be optional, but in a situation where the wife contribute financially, then the burden should be shared
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by akino(m): 7:40pm On Jan 15, 2013
oradee: many men comment bout protecting and providing financially yet i know quite a number of men whose wife pays partly/fully the rents, takes up either dstv/fuel bills,clothing for the kids sometimes,etc...how much do all men earn that they brag bout their financial role?

yet whether u earn a monthly paycheck or not (salary workers),whether u look for contracts and u find or not, ualways expect a home cooked meal,neat appartment and a home u can go to,yet all she asks for is assistance...not thats shes tranfering her responsibiliies permanatly to u...
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jan 15, 2013
lukaino: I think one should help out of one's free will.
maybe she should also cook at free will...if she isn't hungry and u are, maybe u shud cook ur own damn breakfast grin. Sounds fair to me smiley
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by rushda29: 7:55pm On Jan 15, 2013
lukaino: Many times we hear women complain about men not helping out with any of the domestic chores and people are quick to conclude that such men are wicked and insensitive. I think men have reasons for not helping out. Mine for example is that all the times i tried to help out with something, my wife automatically makes it my duty every other time; she'll even remind me when i don't do it. I think one should help out of one's free will. Guys what are your reasons?

I actually wanted to avoid it because although I'm a very traditional woman, I think that a man should help sometimes. And sometimes appreciating the woman is help enuff. I don't mean sitting on a chair and saying "you're doing a good job honey." But staying with her in the kitchen, chatting with her while she works.
Keeping her company and helping her to get things from the cupboard and helping in cleaning up. Or setting the table.

2 Likes

Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by tunapawizzy: 8:22pm On Jan 15, 2013
ledynamite: [size=16pt] most naija men are lazy!!!!. smh once they get married they dont wanna do anything again!!! while the wife is cooking,scrubbing,cleaning,washing,backing the baby,assisting the family financially,feeding and bathing the baby, arranging the house! washing the man boxers!!! what a typical naija man wants to do is shocked eat,picking his teeth and fart!!! [/size]
will u marry me i'll so pamper u
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by MissIfe(f): 8:32pm On Jan 15, 2013
dayokanu: If we share financial responsibilities then we would share domestic responsibilities

Marry me, I'd leave my husband for you grin

Seriously, we both work full time, we bring in more or less the same money BUT I have a second job i'm not paid for, which is cleaning, cooking, taking care of the kids, running errands... I wouldn't leave my husband because of that, but I am way less tolerant to any other flaw because I consider that i contribute more than him to the home.
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by coogar: 8:40pm On Jan 15, 2013
Miss_Ife:

Seriously, we both work full time, we bring in more or less the same money BUT I have a second job i'm not paid for, which is cleaning, cooking, taking care of the kids, running errands... I wouldn't leave my husband because of that, but I am way less tolerant to any other flaw because I consider that i contribute more than him to the home.

why don't you hire a housemaid?
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by dayokanu(m): 8:42pm On Jan 15, 2013
Miss_Ife:

Oya coogar can you be the officiating minister and lets do this thing Kpa kpa kpa
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by MissIfe(f): 8:44pm On Jan 15, 2013
coogar:

why don't you hire a housemaid?

Because we live in the west and it is way too expensive. sad
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by coogar: 8:53pm On Jan 15, 2013
dayokanu:
Oya coogar can you be the officiating minister and lets do this thing Kpa kpa kpa

i will not join you in matrimony with someone else's wife.

Miss_Ife:
Because we live in the west and it is way too expensive. sad

$15 per hour is expensive?
she comes on a friday/saturday and she cleans the house thoroughly(for 3-4 hrs). it would be a weekly appointment and since you live with your hubby alone, i really don't think the house would be that untidy. hire a maid and save yourself the stress.
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by dealslip(f): 8:55pm On Jan 15, 2013
sad
HARDDON:
Nonsense. i know you will like the christ is the head part. The same bible says you should submit to one another in reverence to the Lord. Treat her tenderly as the weaker sex. If she goes to work contributes financially, cleans the home, care for the children and also care for you, cook food for you and still care for myself. You wan kill person. BTW been the head make you the servant. The son man came to serve and not to be served.
Huh?

Return here after your soulful expedition and Ask ♏ԑ dis same question when you suddenly wake up oηε ♏☺r♌ing with ballzz inbtw your legs.

Not until den, d man remains d head of the family just as christ is d head of d church .

He has bin saddled ωiƒ the responsibility of providing, protecting and generally seeing to d well being of d bunch.

Dis doesn't sound like rocket science , does it?

If i may ask, what exactly r you trying to propose? The woman take over d breadwinner role? And den she turns around tomorrow and tell him to his face that he is not man enuf? Jeez Fellis.

Like i said ealier on, dnt secret too Much estrogen' in dis case deawie. It aint gono help Ʊ .
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by MissIfe(f): 8:58pm On Jan 15, 2013
coogar:

$15 per hour is expensive?
she comes on a friday/saturday and she cleans the house thoroughly(for 3-4 hrs). it would be a weekly appointment and since you live with your hubby alone, i really don't think the house would be that untidy. hire a maid and save yourself the stress.

We have kids. when it was only the two of us it wasn't a big deal. And yes, $15*4hrs*4weeks -> $240 a month, IS expensive. Unless [i]he [/i]pays for it with his own money. or at least for half of it.
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by coogar: 9:02pm On Jan 15, 2013
Miss_Ife:
We have kids. when it was only the two of us it wasn't a big deal. And yes, $15*4hrs*4weeks -> $240 a month, IS expensive. Unless [i]he [/i]pays for it with his own money. or at least for half of it.

$240/month shouldn't be expensive if the two of you are into full-time employment. of course, he would be willing to pay 75% upwards of the cost of hiring a maid. a less-stressed wife is a bonus!
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by MissIfe(f): 9:09pm On Jan 15, 2013
coogar:

$240/month shouldn't be expensive if the two of you are into full-time employment. of course, he would be willing to pay 75% upwards of the cost of hiring a maid. a less-stressed wife is a bonus!

Well, I've budgeted it, and as long as we pay for daycare/nanny, housemaid would take too much of our savings. I'd rather save up for my kids' future than pay for an help that wouldn't be necessary if we both took our responsibilities as adults and parents.
I mean, if he offered to reduce his personal expenses to pay for an housemaid, I would probably agree, but things being the way they are, I will not push him to do it.

That being said, figures thrown by nairalanders living in the west always surprise me, nobody I know around me has enough money to pay for a housemaid, and most of my friends/family are into full-time employment with kids, and I don't mean minimum-wage jobs.
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jan 15, 2013
ledynamite: [size=16pt] what a typical naija man wants to do is shocked eat,picking his teeth and fart!!! [/size]
lmao
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by coogar: 9:21pm On Jan 15, 2013
Miss_Ife:

Well, I've budgeted it, and as long as we pay for daycare/nanny, housemaid would take too much of our savings. I'd rather save up for my kids' future than pay for an help that wouldn't be necessary if we both took our responsibilities as adults and parents. I mean, if he offered to reduce his personal expenses to pay for an housemaid, I would probably agree, but things being the way they are, I will not push him to do it.

well - you would know your husband more.
as for me, i told my spouse time is money too. the time i am using to babysit or do some needless chores can be used to make more money so why not pay for an au pair. i am extremely social and i would not be shackled by domestic chores - so i pay my way out to go see friends or watch an opera! cheesy

That being said, figures thrown by nairalanders living in the west always surprise me, nobody I know around me has enough money to pay for a housemaid, and most of my friends/family are into full-time employment with kids, and I don't mean minimum-wage jobs.

nigerians in the west especially the woman would never see the need to hire domestic hands to help them out because they always convert any cost to naira and they always feel they can take on the task - only to complain later.

i am kitchen-lazy and time spent in the kitchen can be used for other things. why should i spend 1hr in the kitchen to make a meal for 2 people when i can easily order readymade food and use my time judiciously. i can pay as much as $1000/month for housekeeping. having worked monday till friday, saturday n sunday are the only days left for me to rest - domestic chores won't steal that little time away from me.
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by toluene12: 9:23pm On Jan 15, 2013
coogar:

except they are a upper middle class family, $240/month is good money that could go into other meaningful things other than wasting it on housemaid (particularly if they reside in u.k). Besides she still has to manage daily domestic chores which is actually the real work.
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by coogar: 9:27pm On Jan 15, 2013
toluene12:
except they are a upper middle class family, $240/month is good money that could go into other meaningful things other than wasting it on housemaid (particularly if they reside in u.k). Besides she still has to manage daily domestic chores which is actually the real work.

you would get a good housekeeper in the uk for £11/hr. uk houses are very small - if she's not an obese heifer, she should be completing her task within 2 hrs and i mean white glove test performance!
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by ocelot2006(m): 9:48pm On Jan 15, 2013
fellis:

So you believe that you are only supposed to assist with house work whenever you feel like? You think housework should the responsibility of only the wife?

Lol. Some Naija men and their unbelievable laziness.

It is your duty to assist her with house work, whether you agree or not does not change the facts. I believe you married a working woman and not an illiterate full time house wife.
Since she works and contributes financially to the upkeep of the house, you also have to join her in doing housework. You cannot expect her to fully shoulder the responsibilities of doing housework, taking care of the children and running her job at the same time, while you do nothing else but go to work and return back home.

Point of correction. It is NOT my duty to help out with house chores, especially when I'm the one that slaves all day to bring home the bacon. But I don't mind helping out my wife from time to time, especially when she has her hands full.
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by temhab(f): 10:18pm On Jan 15, 2013
Eti fa were loy.... cheesy
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by loswhite(m): 10:31pm On Jan 15, 2013
fellis:

So who made these rules and why are all human beings under obligation to follow them?
u r not oblige to follow them. After all u can provide 4 d family n let ur man take care of d family
Re: Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores by loswhite(m): 10:41pm On Jan 15, 2013
Ujujoan: Aaaaaaaagaaaaaaaaaaain! angry angry angry

Poster we've heard . . you don't like helping your wives with chores, that's your own palava!

I'm tired of listening to coogar babble, it's giving me a headache!
d poster did not say he doesn't like helping his wife. he js don't want her to impose d chores on him as a duty

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement / Census: My First Census Experience As A Single Living Alone. Hows It Going To Be / I Tried To Correct Her, What I Got Were Three Slaps, Husband Tells Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.