Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,972 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:36 AM

What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? (7217 Views)

The Left Hand Tradition / What Is The Effect Of Paying Or Receiving With The Left Hand? / Your Opinion About Atlantic International University Anambra State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Dumkele1: 12:59pm On May 17, 2013
For d sake of our environment,he can continue to try to use his right hand for givin and receivin,shaking hands etc but everyoda thing he should do with d left hand.lefties are naturally very smart ppl
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by kolamilan(m): 1:02pm On May 17, 2013
The left side is often associated with awkwardness and
clumsiness but all the same am among them.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by PrettySpicey(f): 1:05pm On May 17, 2013
A lot of celebrities and famous people are 'lefties' - Morgan Freeman, Julia Roberts, Bruce Willis, Nicole Kidman, Phil Collins, Justin Bieber, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, Napoleon Bonaparte and so on.
They are/were lefthanded and are/were world achievers.
Problem is here in Nigeria (maybe in Africa) we think its somewhat negative to be lefthanded. Elders consider it disrespectful if you use your left with them. Parents 'knock' it out of their kids.
But personally, I just think its just life, comes natural to the person. N secretly I think lefties r brilliant.
Oga hubby is a leftie and i just love it grin
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by abiki(f): 1:06pm On May 17, 2013
[quote author=aaliyaSA]I'm left handed...I'm nt sure y ur brother is tryin to b ambidextrous bt if it's got to do wit the negative thinkin around left handed people he shldnt b encouraged. There is nothin wrong wit bein left handed. In terms of the use of a specific hand for religious or cultural teachings then if he is young enuf those things can b instilled witout changin the use of your left hand for tasks like writin etc...I use my left hand fr everythin but ws brought up to eat wit my right hand, give things or accept things wit right hand and this hasn't posed any difficulty. He shldnt try n change what he is. Besides....it's been said that left handed people are very intelligent....he should b proud to b left handed! wink

Team lefty. kiss kiss
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by tyoseni(m): 1:18pm On May 17, 2013
Thank God, your brother is now an adult as he was not forced to use his right hand at his tender age due to cultural believe, because this has allot of negative impact on the IQ of the affected child, this is psychologically proven and practically experience by me. But I thank God today, I use my left hand to do all domestic work including mouth washing while i use my right hand to write and eat only.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by sunsky29(m): 1:19pm On May 17, 2013
wat did i do dat oga seun is removing my comments?
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Felixadded(m): 1:24pm On May 17, 2013
rodeo0070: Famous Left-handed Personalities

There are a number of famous left-handers. The list includes:

Presidents of the United States of America: James A. Garfield, Herbert Hoover, Harry S. Truman, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and the current President Barack Obama

Legendary Personalities: Joan of Arc, Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Horatio Nelson, Queen Victoria, Friedrich Nietzsche, Helen Keller

Musicians and Composers: Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach, Phil Collins, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr

Artists: Michelangelo, Raphael, Leonardo da Vinci

Actors: Charlie Chaplin, Tom Cruise, Robert DeNiro, Greta Garbo, Whoopie Goldberg, Angelina Jolie, Nicole Kidman, Steve McQueen, Marilyn Monroe

Sportspeople: Babe Ruth, Barry Bonds, Larry Bird, Pele, Brian Lara, Martina Navratilova, Rafael Nadal, Phil Mickelson, Terry Baker, Tim Tebow

Most left-handers the world over might have, at some stage in their life, been on the receiving end of a uncomplimentary remark or comment regarding their choice of hand. I am sure this list and discussion about the myths and facts would be reason enough to be proud of being left-handed.
CREDITS: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/myths-and-facts-about-left-handed-people.html
You've forgotten to mention the likes of Lionel Mercy, Robin Vanpersy, Arjen Robin, Gareth Bale and many more.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Egbagirl(f): 1:30pm On May 17, 2013
Gee001: He's 18 and he's known how to use both but only writes with just the left hand n eats with the right. Though it's funny when he uses the right 2 lift things cos it hurts. I find it amazing when he carries a full gas cylinder with the left walking. I think it's cool n wud luv 2b one although dem no dey learn left hand 4 old age. Tnx dear@aaliyaSA, you rock!

Wrong. It's never too late to learn anything. I been practicing for a lol bit now and I can now write, eat, and do a bunch of other things w my left hand. As a matter of fact, I'm getting so used to it that I usually hold my pen in my left now and most times I eat w my left. Practice makes perfect smiley

Oh plus I find that my left hand is stronger than my right. I carry things more easily w my left and when I work out, I have to concentrate a bit more on the right cause the right be slacking!

Anyway the koko of this long epistle is that, you can learn anything you want no matter the age as long as you are determined to.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by imperiouxx(m): 1:34pm On May 17, 2013
75% of Americans are left handed. Both hands are parts of you, so use the one you're comfortable with.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Seyilome(m): 1:46pm On May 17, 2013
Me too I'm leftist,I used my left hand for everything but my right to eat solid food and to give things to elderly persons,but I love myself for using left hand,cos people know am brilliant.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by keyword(f): 2:01pm On May 17, 2013
I was born left handed. My grand Dad was left handed. For some time in my younger age I suffered inferirority complex coS of that. Nw, I just tell people off when they cirticise that God made two hands, so I can use both. He never said one was better than the other, or more important. Simple.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by IOMN(f): 2:31pm On May 17, 2013
I'm left handed. My parents tried to force me to be right handed for a little bit when I was younger, but I couldn't do it. So, they just let me be. My parents would just remind me that when guests were around to hand them things with the right hand.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by yuzedo: 2:35pm On May 17, 2013
Sweerie, in fact i love left hand! Has a mind of its own. Whenever i'm alone in my room, that's my favorite hand to.......................................... Soooooooooo, wuz the topick dammit! angry tongue

1 Like

Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by caesaraba(m): 2:49pm On May 17, 2013
@OP, he shouldn't be encouraged to give up use of the left hand. It'll make him slow on the right and not much better on he left. I eat with my left hand in private (makes the food sweeter) and eat with the right hand in public (makes my friends giggle). It's always hard work trying to cheat nature.
Glad to see my fellow lefties representing on NL. We r the best (naturally).

1 Like

Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Nobody: 3:02pm On May 17, 2013
I rather intimidate people than to be intimidated with my lefty, especially when I remember how I was beaten when I was much younger, and now that am grown up you come to tell me you this lefty, I will just use the anger to bounce on you, you go fear fear.

To the glory of God, I got married to a left handed man too. My parent and all my relations who beat me then all apologised for their ignorance.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by sod09(m): 3:28pm On May 17, 2013
im also a leafty....i do almost evritin with my left even wen eating..bt i was told its not good to eat wit left hand(muslim belief)...im jus confused cos if i eat wit my right hand,d food becomes tasteless
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Clemzy16(m): 4:01pm On May 17, 2013
Sometimes i wish i was left-handed. Everything about left-handed people is so sexy..The way they play soccer, writes, eats etc..
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by rxhush: 4:02pm On May 17, 2013
i think left handed guys are more logical
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Nobody: 4:24pm On May 17, 2013
Gee001: Greetings to y'all. Would like to know why people always give meanings and too much importance to the left hand especially when it comes to giving out and receiving with the left hand. To some people, they claim it's means being disrespectful, while others see it as nothing. Although my brother is left-handed but he's trying to be ambidextrous. I would like to know your opinions. Why is it so?

To me, left handed girls are sexy
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 17, 2013
yuzedo: Sweerie, in fact i love left hand! Has a mind of its own. Whenever i'm alone in my room, that's my favorite hand to.......................................... Soooooooooo, wuz the topick dammit! angry tongue

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by trixandra(f): 5:01pm On May 17, 2013
Blazinraj01: If he wants to be ambidextrous, its good but ensure he doesn't change the use of his left hand for writing.

I am a lefty and the sad thing is my teacher changed me from left to right @ a tender age. But I use my left hand for eating and doing other stuffs asides writing. Now, as a lady, people don't expect me to serve them with my left hand nor eat with it because of religion dictates. I've ended up being ambidextrous.

wow; just found someone in the same. category with me... Thank God I am not the only one
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by symbianDON(m): 5:38pm On May 17, 2013
i am ambidextrous and i love it sooooo much....i can do everything with both hands
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Mospring(m): 6:33pm On May 17, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
never use left hand for respectful thinz.
confirm
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by magnuga(f): 9:00pm On May 17, 2013
Correct!
Egba girl:

Wrong. It's never too late to learn anything. I been practicing for a lol bit now and I can now write, eat, and do a bunch of other things w my left hand. As a matter of fact, I'm getting so used to it that I usually hold my pen in my left now and most times I eat w my left. Practice makes perfect smiley

Oh plus I find that my left hand is stronger than my right. I carry things more easily w my left and when I work out, I have to concentrate a bit more on the right cause the right be slacking!

Anyway the koko of this long epistle is that, you can learn anything you want no matter the age as long as you are determined to.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by alajor(m): 9:43pm On May 17, 2013
I think its a naija thing. I don travel out well well and those pple no send whether na left or right hand. Chikena
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by magnuga(f): 11:52pm On May 17, 2013
I am left handed and proud of it.What i usually tell people that criticize is that - GOD created both hands,so why the fuss?,except the devil created their own left hand.
What i just do,i give out things with my right hand and with it.There are other things i do better with my right hand like when ironing and using the Scissors.
I use my left hand to write and do a whole lot of other things majorly.
I simply love my left hand and so so proud of it.
Its good to be different! wink
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by amalajie(m): 2:04am On May 18, 2013
i am left handed, i don't care what pple say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by hollas2jnr(m): 2:33am On May 18, 2013
da-gentility:
Even though,it not a good habit,i must say dat most of d people dat i see using left hand 2 write,deir writing is really nice.

Lol... Is being left handed a habit? No it isn't... And I'm left handed by d way!
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by hollas2jnr(m): 2:40am On May 18, 2013
@OP: Left handedness or giving out things with one's left hand is not suppose to b an issue, just dat naija happens to b a country where we've had superstitions eaten d beta part of us. Its so much unlike d civilised world.

I do everything with my left hand except eating solids... And almost everything with my right but not when i need precision. #TeamLefty: Good to meet y'all.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by alstacs(m): 7:32pm On May 18, 2013
I was or am left handed, I was however taught and forced to use the right for writing.
When you come out iwith the left hand during practical sessions in school, everyone runs as they see the left hanfed as dangerous.
All procedures in all professions are described and taught in right hand.
I tried playing the drum set,but I dropped it. The piano was difficult too, I could only shine in pieces where the left habd has a lot of work to do...guitar.....I dropped...violin I am still struggling....
Tis a wicked world mehn...
It aint easy being left handed.
My grandmother used to stand over my head with a stick when I was small to use my right hand to hold the spoon.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by alstacs(m): 7:43pm On May 18, 2013
hollas2jnr: @OP: Left handedness or giving out things with one's left hand is not suppose to b an issue, just dat naija happens to b a country where we've had superstitions eaten d beta part of us. Its so much unlike d civilised world.
. I#TeamLefty: Good to meet y'all.
Did you say superstition aboutd left hand is in Nigeria? Kindly extend it to the while of Africa, I've suffered everywhere.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by hollas2jnr(m): 5:56am On May 19, 2013
alstacs:
Did you say superstition aboutd left hand is in Nigeria? Kindly extend it to the while of Africa, I've suffered everywhere.

Nigeria I am so sure of amongst other african nations. By d way, being left handed shouldn't deter u from learning to play musical instruments; I'd played d drum set too n know quite a couple of lefties that play guitar n piano.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Happy New Month Nairalanders (April) / Names Of Nigerian TOP Pastors In Illuminati / What Do You Do When You Are Feeling Very Sad Or Depressed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.