Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? (7250 Views)

Olubadan-In-Council Declares Eze Ndigbo Illegal / How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / Ndigbo Originated From Egypt, Jacob’s Son Is The Father Of Nri – Monarch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:53pm On Jan 17, 2013
o'boy:
anyhow sha,its your choice
but how does Ngwa sound?i have never heard it before
If you've heard how Etche, the majority of Mbaise and parts of Umuahia speak, then you can get an idea of how Ngwa sounds. It's heavily nasalized and strongly aspirated. It uses a lot of syntax and lexicon that is different from general Igbo.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:57pm On Jan 17, 2013
Afam4eva: I thought as much. What about Mbaise and Mbaitoli? Do they speak anything similar?
Mbaitoli is Isu-speaking. Mbaise is an administrative grouping of 5 "clans", most of which speak like Ngwa, parts of Ngor-Okpuala and Etche.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by oboy3(m): 7:20pm On Jan 17, 2013
Hmmm i never knew that Igbo dialects are more than five ,i have always thought Owerri and Mbaise speak the same dialect
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by odumchi: 7:30pm On Jan 17, 2013
Afam4eva: Firrslt, there's no such thing as mainstream Anambra dialect. The dialects are different depending on the particular place. For instance, Onitsha would say "Ife" while Awka will say "Ive".

Just as there's a mainstream Imo/Abia dialect (even though these two states have many dialects), there's a mainstream northern dialect thats spoken in Anambra/Enugu.

"How are you" in the Imo-Abia dialect is: "Olee etu I mere" while in the Anambra-Enugu it's: "Kee ka I mee".
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by Afam4eva(m): 8:09pm On Jan 17, 2013
odumchi:

Just as there's a mainstream Imo/Abia dialect (even though these two states have many dialects), there's a mainstream northern dialect thats spoken in Anambra/Enugu.

"How are you" in the Imo-Abia dialect is: "Olee etu I mere" while in the Anambra-Enugu it's: "Kee ka I mee".
I understand what you mean. That's the reason why i find it difficult telling dialects from Abia/Imo and Enugu/Anambra apart.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by Abagworo(m): 8:12pm On Jan 17, 2013
o'boy:
Hmmm i never knew that Igbo dialects are more than five ,i have always thought Owerri and Mbaise speak the same dialect

Actually some part of Mbaise speak Owerri. Mbaise is a recent coinage of 5 clans who were originally in other dialect groups like Oratta, Etche/Ngor and Ohunhun/Ngwa.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by Boicc(m): 11:30am On Jan 18, 2013
odumchi:

as an enugu brought-up...i tink its "kedu ka i di? OR ke ka i di?"
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by salam001(m): 12:54pm On Jan 18, 2013
Boicc:
do you speak for all Enugu people,because the enugu people i know use "kedu ka i mee?"
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by Afam4eva(m): 12:57pm On Jan 18, 2013
salam001: do you speak for all Enugu people,because the enugu people i know use "kedu ka i mee?"
I think he's confusing the Igbo spoken by the local Enugu people to the one spoken in the Enugu town. I'm from Awkuannaw which is a suburb of Enguu town but the Igbo spoken there is the indigenous Igbo and i different from the one that's spoken when you go into the town.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by ifyalways(f): 2:35pm On Jan 18, 2013
^i bukwa ogo m Nwoke.

@topic, ijaw, urhobo and itsekiri. Love 'em ND brethren.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by Boicc(m): 6:33pm On Jan 18, 2013
salam001: do you speak for all Enugu people,because the enugu people i know use "kedu ka i mee?"
well,i've nt lived in any oda state apart 4rm enugu."kedu ka i di" z been spoken in enugu urban(cuz i reside in A/L).
Buh nowadays,more of slangs r been spoken.For example instead of sayin "kedu ka i di OR ke ka i di"...one would b poised 2 say.."kedu ife n'emezi OR kedu ihe n'emezi".You can hear dose ones in versity environment.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by achi4u(m): 7:17pm On Jan 18, 2013
salam001: Abakiliki,my God!!!
it would take one a life time to learn that dialect(is it ikwo or ivo i dont remember),because if they are speaking it near you,you cant event pick igbo words outta it
Well,if you dont pay any attention while they are at it hw can you pick anything frm their dialects?,...now that you have an Ebonyi person in da house...are u ready learn.

Write anything in ur dialect(central Igbo) and will transport it to ebonyi language(Ezza precisily)

*kedu ka imere?(igbo izugbe)= n'de gi meru(ezza)

*Bia ka irie nri==bia ti irie nri

*Achoro m ije lagos== Mu choro te m je lagos.

*Afa m bu aguinyi== Eha m bu aguinyi

*Ka chineke gozie gi==Te chineke gozia gi

All this are from Ezza dialects with little different frm Izzi,Ikwo and other numerous communities around d state and beyond.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by salam001(m): 8:24pm On Jan 18, 2013
achi4u: Well,if you dont pay any attention while they are at it hw can you pick anything frm their dialects?,...now that you have an Ebonyi person in da house...are u ready learn.

Write anything in ur dialect(central Igbo) and will transport it to ebonyi language(Ezza precisily)

*kedu ka imere?(igbo izugbe)= n'de gi meru(ezza)

*Bia ka irie nri==bia ti irie nri

*Achoro m ije lagos== Mu choro te m je lagos.

*Afa m bu aguinyi== Eha m bu aguinyi

*Ka chineke gozie gi==Te chineke gozia gi

All this are from Ezza dialects with little different frm Izzi,Ikwo and other numerous communities around d state and beyond.
thanks Guy,but this is Ezza and not abakiliki,abakiliki sounds like its not igbo.
I even grabed some ezza dialects from my okposi friend e.g>
1)where were you
(central igbo} ebe ka i je?
(ezza) i ga/je awe?
2)Its this person
(central igbo) okwa onye a
(ezza) okwa onye oma
3)i will wash it now
(central igbo)m ga sa ya kita kita
[ezza] mu je ri sa ya nte nte

i might be wrong in some spellings but its what i hear from them
cheers
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by pazienza(m): 8:33pm On Jan 18, 2013
salam001: thanks Guy,but this is Ezza and not abakiliki,abakiliki sounds like its not igbo.
I even grabed some ezza dialects from my okposi friend e.g>
1)where were you
(central igbo} ebe ka i je?
(ezza) i ga/je awe?
2)Its this person
(central igbo) okwa onye a
(ezza) okwa onye oma
3)i will wash it now
(central igbo)m ga sa ya kita kita
[ezza] mu je ri sa ya nte nte

i might be wrong in some spellings but its what i hear from them
cheers
I don't think igbo izugbe uses kita kita,i think the right word is 'ugbua'
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by salam001(m): 8:46pm On Jan 18, 2013
pazienza: I don't think igbo izugbe uses kita kita,i think the right word is 'ugbua'
forgive me,but that is what i speak at home and everywhere,so the "kita kita" don master Me
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by oboy3(m): 9:10pm On Jan 18, 2013
Boicc:
if somebody ask me that i wont answer him,because 4 my place na person wey sick come well na him them dey ask that one
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by pazienza(m): 1:26am On Jan 19, 2013
salam001: forgive me,but that is what i speak at home and everywhere,so the "kita kita" don master Me
No wahala bro, i speak kita kita too,ugbua is more of a text book thing to me,but people in abia and imo use it a lot.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:28am On Jan 19, 2013
What Achi4u wrote is not Abakiliki. Abakiliki is Izii, as in a part of the Izii community (correct me if I'm wrong). Izii, Ezaa (what Achi4u translated), Ikwo and Ngbo are related, but independent groups. Each has its own characteristic speech form, and of them all, Izii is the most divergent. That is the Abakiliki that people talk about, and there is no amount of 'paying attention' that will allow one to simply understand Izii, unless one has actually become acquainted with it. In fact, give me some time, let me see if I can retrieve some audio recordings I came across three or so years back.

In the meantime, here is a translation of Mathew 6:9-15 (The Lord's Prayer), in Izii that I also bumped into some years back.

"Ọo ya bụ l'ụwa-a g'unu e-pfuje anụ Chileke baa: Gụbe Nna anyi, bu l'imigwe! G'e dobe ẹpha ngu iche; Goshinu l'oo gụbedua bụ eze. G'e meje iphe dụ ngu l'uche l'eliphe g'eemeje iya l'imigwe. Nụnu anyi nri ntanụ-a; Nri, a-sụjeru anyi eri mbọku-mbọku. Gụaru anyi nvụ l'ẹka anyi mesweru ngu; Ganyi gụru ndụ mesweru anyibẹdua. Te kwekwa g'anyi nmalahụ l'iphe ọhutama. Nafụtachikwaa anyi g'anyi ta aba l'ẹka Onye-Njọ. Kẹle ọo ngu bụ eze iphemiphe; Bya abụru ngu nwe ike; nweru akpabiri jasụ lẹ tututu lẹ mịmimi. Nokwa g'ọ du. Kẹle ọ -bụru l'unu agụjeru ndụ ọzo nvụ l'iphe ẹji, ẹphe meru unu; Nna unu, bu l'imigwe a-gụjekwarupho unu nvụ l'ọphu unu meru iya. Obenu teke ọ bụ l'unu ta agụjeduru ndụ ọzo nvụ l'iphe ẹji, ẹphe meru unu; ọo ya bụ lẹ Nna unu ta byadu agụru unu nvụ l'iphe ẹji, unu meru iya.”
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by pazienza(m): 1:47am On Jan 19, 2013
You are not wrong,chinenye, abakaliki is izzi.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by pazienza(m): 1:50am On Jan 19, 2013
Damn,izzi is too hard, really racking my brain here to decipher that izzi chineye wrote. How did Izzi deviate so much from other igbo dialects like this,what exactly went wrong?
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by pazienza(m): 2:00am On Jan 19, 2013
Aha! Igbo will always be igbo,having read it for like four times,i now understand most of it. Though,i now understand why they insisted on having a bible written in their own dialect,their language is quite divergent from the central written igbo. Igbo ebuka.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:06am On Jan 19, 2013
grin Written Izii does little justice to actual Izii speech. Anyway, here is one of the Izii audio recording. There are others.

[flash=490,390]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu-63K9IhHw[/flash]
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by odumchi: 3:37am On Jan 19, 2013
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by oboy3(m): 8:02am On Jan 19, 2013
Yah,exactly thats what my neighbours speak,very hard to decode
Ezza is still simple
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by achi4u(m): 11:49am On Jan 19, 2013
ChinenyN you are right;Abakaliki is Izzi but people tend to lump every Ebonyi person as an Abakaliki man.Lmaogrin @ the "Nna bi na eluigwe/eni-igwe(our lords prayer) u translated to Izzi dailects...I also found it had reading it even though we speaks alike.One fact thing about Izzi man is that 'he' can't speak Igbo Izugbe(central igbo)to the lenght without some mixtures of their dailects.
Among the major three blocks that makes up ebonyi central senatorial zone__ Ezza,Izzi and Ikwo,Ezza dailects comes close to other igbo dailect only that we are rapping our language the more like Okposi's.

As for me I like Nnewi dailects with its flavourgrin...datz where I grew up.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by Afam4eva(m): 11:58am On Jan 19, 2013
Most dialects in Ebonyi sound very similar to the Nkanu dialect in Enugu state. We have a lot in common.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by achi4u(m): 11:59am On Jan 19, 2013
pazienza: I don't think igbo izugbe uses kita kita,i think the right word is 'ugbua'
In speaking igbo izugbe 'kita kita' is allowed but in writing core izugbe you'll go for 'ugbua'.
kita kita is 'olu mba' not igbo izugbe.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by achi4u(m): 12:09pm On Jan 19, 2013
Afam4eva: Most dialects in Ebonyi sound very similar to the Nkanu dialect in Enugu state. We have a lot in common.
yea,only when you're in love with people and their language will you like to hear them out but when 'u' consider them inferior befor you....

In all,we have alot in common to the Igbo community.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by pazienza(m): 1:28pm On Jan 19, 2013
Ezza is very close to igbo izugbe. I have an ezza friend,from ohaukwu,and i can understand him whenever he switches to his dialect,especially when he is calling his parents.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by oboy3(m): 1:48pm On Jan 19, 2013
I can grab some word of ezza dialect but abakiliki,too hard
no matter how hard I try
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by achi4u(m): 3:05pm On Jan 19, 2013
o'boy:
I can grab some word of ezza dialect but abakiliki,too hard
no matter how hard I try
Is not all that had compare to what Odumchi use to write as Aro...if not because am living with some of them here in Abakaliki I would've find it dfficulty comprehending with what he is saying/writing.lol Igbo language is very tick and awesom depending hw you approch them.

O'boy hw do knw when ezza man speaks from Izzi man??grin

NOTE:this is correct spelling of ABAKALIKI not ABAKILIKI.
Thanks
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by ezeagu(m): 3:58pm On Jan 19, 2013
odumchi: Here's another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrYt0TZbC0o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

That sounds like Farsi/Akan/French. What the...? Is this what Igbo sounds like to others?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The Relationship Between Madness And Laughing? / All You Need To Know About Agwụ Ikenga Temple / Fulani's Are More Beautiful Than The Horners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.