Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,259 members, 7,815,414 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? (7252 Views)

Olubadan-In-Council Declares Eze Ndigbo Illegal / How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / Ndigbo Originated From Egypt, Jacob’s Son Is The Father Of Nri – Monarch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by oboy3(m): 10:21am On Jan 16, 2013
As for me
Apart from my Anambra/Onitsha dialect,I am in love with the Owerri dialect,i would be glad tn learn it,i love the way they speak it
and also with their use of proverbs in musics
And i am also a big fan of Owerri bongo music i.e sunny bobo,shama melody and chimuanya,i have lots of their cds in my house
so pls whats yours?
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by StarFlux: 6:33pm On Jan 16, 2013
Whatever Flavour speaks. I think it's Enugu, but not sure!

Sounds so amazing when he sings.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by oboy3(m): 6:50pm On Jan 16, 2013
StarFlux: Whatever Flavour speaks. I think it's Enugu, but not sure!

Sounds so amazing when he sings.
flavour speaks Onitsha dialect hence the ife instead of Ihe
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by StarFlux: 8:31pm On Jan 16, 2013
o'boy:
Oh ok, thanks! Nevertheless, it is awesome cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-9RDfy5ilo
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by oboy3(m): 9:14pm On Jan 16, 2013
Ur welcome,thanks for the music,i love that song
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by StarFlux: 11:33pm On Jan 16, 2013
Yeah, I've listened to it over 20 times today!

Just a Q. How does the standard Igbo used in books etc compare to Onitsha dialect? What dialect is it closest to?
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by oturugo(m): 1:22am On Jan 17, 2013
Ukwuani
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by odumchi: 1:28am On Jan 17, 2013
o'boy:

Flavour speaks a dialect from somewhere in Enugwu and not Onicha. Most Enugwu dialects say "ife" while a minority say "ihe". For example, to say "I don't know", Flavour would say "amahu m", whereas an Onicha speaker would say "amaro m".

StarFlux: Yeah, I've listened to it over 20 times today!

Just a Q. How does the standard Igbo used in books etc compare to Onitsha dialect? What dialect is it closest to?

Today's Standard Igbo is closest to the Igbo spoken in the Orlu-Okigwe-Umuahia axis of Imo and Abia states, even though Onicha dialect is said to be the most intelligible of the Igbo dialects.

3 Likes

Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by odumchi: 1:32am On Jan 17, 2013
I like my Arochukwu dialect, but I would like to someday learn a dialect from Rivers (possibly Ikwere).
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:36am On Jan 17, 2013
o'boy:

Flavour doesn't speak Onicha dialect if you know what Onicha sounds like. He speaks a general Anambra Igbo with some mix of Enugu town where he grew up.
Have you ever heard Ikem Mazeli's music? Try listenning to him and hear how Onicha sounds.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:39am On Jan 17, 2013
I will personally like to learn Nkanu Igbo or whatever is spoken in Umuahia.
Knew a chic from Umuahia and her accent was so sweet.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by StarFlux: 1:44am On Jan 17, 2013
odumchi:

Flavour speaks a dialect from somewhere in Enugwu and not Onicha. Most Enugwu dialects say "ife" while a minority say "ihe". For example, to say "I don't know", Flavour would say "amahu m", whereas an Onicha speaker would say "amaro m".

Today's Standard Igbo is closest to the Igbo spoken in the Orlu-Okigwe-Umuahia axis of Imo and Abia states, even though Onicha dialect is said to be the most intelligible of the Igbo dialects.
I see! Thank you smiley

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:48am On Jan 17, 2013
odumchi:

Flavour doesn't speak Enugu dialect but he mixes it with his Anambra Igbo. Anybody that is familiar with Stormrex music would know what core Enugu/\Nkanu sounds like. We also have to bear in mind that some Enugu dialects and Anambra are similar. Sometimes its hard to tell who is Anambra or Enugu because of some of the dialectical similarities. Take Mike Ejeagha for Instant,most people think he is from Anambra but he is from a town that borders Anambra,hence the similarities.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by odumchi: 1:56am On Jan 17, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

Flavour doesn't speak Enugu dialect but he mixes it with his Anambra Igbo. Anybody that is familiar with Stormrex music would know what core Enugu/\Nkanu sounds like. We also have to bear in mind that some Enugu dialects and Anambra are similar. Sometimes its hard to tell who is Anambra or Enugu because of some of the dialectical similarities. Take Mike Ejeagha for Instant,most people think he is from Anambra but he is from a town that borders Anambra,hence the similarities.

You're right, in a way. I wouldn't call what Flavour speaks mainstream Anambra, but both the Anambra and Enugwu pieces are present in his speech. At best, it can be described as a mixture of both.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:55am On Jan 17, 2013
odumchi:

You're right, in a way. I wouldn't call what Flavour speaks mainstream Anambra, but both the Anambra and Enugwu pieces are present in his speech. At best, it can be described as a mixture of both.

Yes,he do mix them but the Anambra there is more prominent.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by oboy3(m): 7:20am On Jan 17, 2013
Ok guys,but i think he sometimes uses the onicha dialect e.g in the song he featured Stormrex
he sang "Nme me yi ife nine".go and listen to Onicha people they use "yi" instead of "gi"
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by ezeagu(m): 7:43am On Jan 17, 2013
Does anyone use any particular dialect well again? It's all muddled up.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by Afam4eva(m): 9:02am On Jan 17, 2013
Firrslt, there's no such thing as mainstream Anambra dialect. The dialects are different depending on the particular place. For instance, Onitsha would say "Ife" while Awka will say "Ive".

What flavour speaks is a micture of Enugu Urban Igbo and a particular Anambra dialect which i'm not sure which it is. But they usually sound similar. A lot of people don't speak a particulat dialect. They have them muddled up. For instance, i'm always very careful when speaking Igbo with someone not from Nkanu cos i don't want to mistakenly use a word that the person won't understand. I just have everything mixed up.

@topic
I like the Owerri dialect as it pertains to music. I also like the sexxy Anambra dialect. If you hear girl speak Anambra dialetc for you ehhh....

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:42am On Jan 17, 2013
ezeagu: Does anyone use any particular dialect well again? It's all muddled up.
One might be tempted to believe so, but I'm doubtful that it is at all as muddled as one might think. People still do speak particular dialects very well. I for one do. I've taken particular care in keeping my speech as muddle-free as possible. If I want, I can speak the deep dialectal Ngwa, with all its syntactical peculiarities.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by oboy3(m): 9:53am On Jan 17, 2013
ezeagu: Does anyone use any particular dialect well again? It's all muddled up.
lie,i speak my dialect without borrowing words from other dialects
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:54am On Jan 17, 2013
@Topic: I've never stopped to think about it, but now that I do, I realize that I'm actually pretty content. There's no other dialect that I love and want to learn.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by oboy3(m): 10:14am On Jan 17, 2013
ChinenyeN: @Topic: I've never stopped to think about it, but now that I do, I realize that I'm actually pretty content. There's no other dialect that I love and want to learn.
anyhow sha,its your choice
but how does Ngwa sound?i have never heard it before
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by pazienza(m): 1:14pm On Jan 17, 2013
I would love to learn ukwuani/ndokwa dialect
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jan 17, 2013
I wud luv to learn Abakiliki dialect,i can understand other igbos except them.
...plus mbano(or somethin like dat in imo state) The movie 'Adure' made me fall in love with it
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by Afam4eva(m): 2:10pm On Jan 17, 2013
chidyhels: I wud luv to learn Abakiliki dialect,i can understand other igbos except them.
...plus mbano(or somethin like dat in imo state) The movie 'Adure' made me fall in love with it[b][/b]
So, you've watched that movie. I fell in love with that dialect too after watching that movie. I've been hearing that dialect but never knew it was Mbano dialect. I never also knew that Queen Nwokoye who was the lead in that film was from Mbano(i think). I watched another Igbo movie that she acted and she spoke an Anambra dialect perfectly.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by salam001(m): 2:29pm On Jan 17, 2013
chidyhels: I wud luv to learn Abakiliki dialect,i can understand other igbos except them.
...plus mbano(or somethin like dat in imo state) The movie 'Adure' made me fall in love with it
Abakiliki,my God!!!
it would take one a life time to learn that dialect(is it ikwo or ivo i dont remember),because if they are speaking it near you,you cant event pick igbo words outta it
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by salam001(m): 2:31pm On Jan 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
So, you've watched that movie. I fell in love with that dialect too after watching that movie. I've been hearing that dialect but never knew it was Mbaise dialect. I never also knew that Queen Nwokoye who was the lead in that film was from Mbaise(i think). I watched another Igbo movie that she acted and she spoke an Anambra dialect perfectly.
Queen nwaokoye is from Ekwusigo local goverment,Anambra state

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by Afam4eva(m): 2:34pm On Jan 17, 2013
salam001: Queen nwaokoye is from Ekwusigo local goverment,Anambra state,
You don't mean it...She spoke that Mbano dialect perfectly.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by salam001(m): 2:51pm On Jan 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
i was suprised also
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
Yes,she actually did a very gud job. Shes tallented,but it must have taken rigorous practise and directing to accomplish that.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by Abagworo(m): 6:03pm On Jan 17, 2013
Afam4eva:

Mbano dialect is just a sub-dialect Isu. It shares proximity with Amigbo, Nkwerre, Ehime, njaba, Orlu etc.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by Afam4eva(m): 6:11pm On Jan 17, 2013
Abagworo:

Mbano dialect is just a sub-dialect Isu. It shares proximity with Amigbo, Nkwerre, Ehime, njaba, Orlu etc.
I thought as much. What about Mbaise and Mbaitoli? Do they speak anything similar?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

All You Need To Know About Agwụ Ikenga Temple / Fulani's Are More Beautiful Than The Horners / Is 'kanye' An Igbo Name?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.