Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,259 members, 7,815,410 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? (7251 Views)

Olubadan-In-Council Declares Eze Ndigbo Illegal / How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / Ndigbo Originated From Egypt, Jacob’s Son Is The Father Of Nri – Monarch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by ezeagu(m): 4:05pm On Jan 19, 2013
ChinenyeN: grin Written Izii does little justice to actual Izii speech. Anyway, here is one of the Izii audio recording. There are others.

[flash=490,390]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu-63K9IhHw[/flash]

Igbo is probably the closest to the language spoken by the aboriginals of West Africa, it sounds like everything.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by odumchi: 11:03am On Jan 20, 2013
What is interesting is that dialects in northeastern Abia tend to resemble those found in parts of Ebonyi. Take Ohafia (or Abiriba) for example. To the untrained ear, Ohafia would be extremely difficult to comprehend. When spoken by an experienced native-speaker (particularly an elder) it could even sound like Izzi.

Here are some examples:
Izugbe: O bu gini bu aha gi?
Ohafia: O ngii wu efa ghu?

Izugbe: O si di ya ji ihe ahu.
Ohafia: O shi ji ya ji ife ohu.

Izugbe: Kedu ka I mere?
Ohafia: I meru agii?

By the way, does anyone know Edda (Afkpo)?

achi4u: Is not all that had compare to what Odumchi use to write as Aro...if not because am living with some of them here in Abakaliki I would've find it dfficulty comprehending with what he is saying/writing.lol Igbo language is very tick and awesom depending hw you approch them.

Lol cool
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by odumchi: 11:08am On Jan 20, 2013
Here's Asa dialect; it's actually pretty intelligible. One question that I have is this: how does this organization find people that speak these dialects? Does it simply recruit people from rural towns?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGOjrIBGV5M
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by AndreUweh(m): 12:15pm On Jan 20, 2013
@Eze NdiIgbo Odumchi.
The problem is that we do not have a lot of posters from those border Igbo communities in the politics section. We are lucky to have Wesley80 who represents Ukwuani effectively and Eze Promoe who represents Ikwerre. We should encourage them as well as other proud Igbo sons from those areas.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:29pm On Jan 20, 2013
odumchi: Here's Asa dialect; it's actually pretty intelligible. One question that I have is this: how does this organization find people that speak these dialects? Does it simply recruit people from rural towns?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGOjrIBGV5M

Not to be confused with Asa in Abia.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by odumchi: 7:07pm On Jan 25, 2013
Andre Uweh: @Eze NdiIgbo Odumchi.
The problem is that we do not have a lot of posters from those border Igbo communities in the politics section. We are lucky to have Wesley80 who represents Ukwuani effectively and Eze Promoe who represents Ikwerre. We should encourage them as well as other proud Igbo sons from those areas.

Nwoke m, ezi okwu ka i kwuru. I agree, but the problem is that many of people on this website lack exposure to diversity (in the Igbo context) and thus react somehow when people who are different from them surface. I'm sure you've seen what is going on on that "What is Imo state best known for" thread? If people continue to react that way, our brethren from the different corners of Igboland would be discouraged from participating.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by odumchi: 7:08pm On Jan 25, 2013
ChinenyeN:

Not to be confused with Asa in Abia.

I made a mistake. That's actually Ezilo dialect (Ebonyi). For some reason, the uploader named it "Asa".
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by EzePromoe: 8:41pm On Jan 25, 2013
Here are list of dialects I speak fluently:
Idemili
Ikwerre
Etche
Owerri
Onitsha
This are dialects that I speak but not fluently:
Awka
Mbaise
Ngwa (because its somehow related to Ikwerre and Etche)

Dialects I would like to learn are:
Ekpeye
Ika
Izzi

Ekpeye which is in core north of Rivers state is a very sensitive dialect. Just somehow like Izzi, an average Igbo speaking man won't be able to decode it unless you think hard. E.g I've seen the price Ahugom ndaraonu ya (Igbo Izugbe) Anya lehi adaranu (Ekpeye). The language is twisted that the meaning in other Igbo dialects sound funny.

Never heard Ika spoken before but heard that the language is mixed with Bini.

Izzi is where my grandfather married his second wife. Heard them spoke when I was at my tender age and thought it was Yoruba but my grandpa told me that they were speaking Igbo. We argued there for like 30 minutes before my mum called off the arguement.

I've leaved with Enugu people and their Igbo is just like the normal Anambra dialect, with slight or no difference.

Etche dialect is just like mixture of Mbaise and Ngwa dialect with some traces of Okpala in it.

I never found difficulty in understanding Ikwerre right from the day 1 I stepped into Rivers state. The Ikwerre I had difficulty in understanding at the initial time was the 'Evo' dialect which is peculiar to those in Obio. If you go to Ubima (Amaechi's home town), Omerelu and so many others, the dialect is just like that of their kins in Ohaji. The Igboness depreciates as you move further into the city.

Up till today, I still ask this question. Who are Oyigbo people? Are they immigrants? Because they don't speak like Ngwa which is closer to them, they don't speak like Etche also, no similiarity with Ikwerre. Their dialect is almost like Igbo Izugbe, that is why in Obigbo today, you can hardly tell who's indigene from who's a non-indigene. I just knew of recent that Mummy B of P.H was from Obigbo, of whom I've believed to be from Abia state. Unlike other dialects in Rivers state, Igbo is spoken everywhere even in churches just like any other town in Igboland. I'm still making research, I need to know who really are these people.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by Afam4eva(m): 8:54pm On Jan 25, 2013
^^^
When i was in port-hacourt, that place was called Obigbo. Did they change it all of a sudden to Oyigbo?

i also want to know what language "Etche" is grouped under cos i once heard someone classify it as Ikwerre. The guy told me there's Ikwerre-Etche and another Ikwerre.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:24pm On Jan 25, 2013
Eze Promoe: Up till today, I still ask this question. Who are Oyigbo people? Are they immigrants? Because they don't speak like Ngwa which is closer to them, they don't speak like Etche also, no similiarity with Ikwerre. Their dialect is almost like Igbo Izugbe, that is why in Obigbo today, you can hardly tell who's indigene from who's a non-indigene. I just knew of recent that Mummy B of P.H was from Obigbo, of whom I've believed to be from Abia state. Unlike other dialects in Rivers state, Igbo is spoken everywhere even in churches just like any other town in Igboland. I'm still making research, I need to know who really are these people.
Oyigbo is not a people. It's an LGA that was named (or renamed) from Obigbo town, which was established in the 20th century by hinterland Igbo immigrants who were looking for work in the new oil industry. The indigenes of Oyigbo are Asa and Ndoki, but Obigbo has since been integrated to the point that it is now an Ndoki community. In my honest opinion, Obigbo is practically no different from "Izugbe", but that's just them. The other [indigenous] communities don't sound like that, and instead sound more like communities in Ukwa and Ngwa areas.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:37pm On Jan 25, 2013
Afam4eva: i also want to know what language "Etche" is grouped under cos i once heard someone classify it as Ikwerre. The guy told me there's Ikwerre-Etche and another Ikwerre.
Ikwere-Etche is Etche (as in, part of the Etche community), while Ikwerre are the "rumu Iwherohna". Etche is grouped as a language on its own, under "Igboid", but is linguistically related to Ngwa and Mbaise.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by odumchi: 11:36pm On Jan 25, 2013
I recently made an audio recording of myself reading Genesis (from the Bible) in Aro and I've been meaning to share it but haven't had the time. Anyway, for all of you guys who want to know what Aro sounds like, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1n_50LSJuw
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:28am On Jan 26, 2013
cheesy and you say you're how old, Odumchi? Anyway, this is a pretty nice recording; inspiring, even.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:49am On Jan 26, 2013
Also, to be honest, if not for the subtitles, I would have had to listen to it repeatedly.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by odumchi: 1:03am On Jan 26, 2013
Ugboro ole ka m ga gwa unu? I'm 17. tongue

I'm glad that you find it interesting and somewhat inspirational. It's also funny that you found it hard to understand lol. I'm guessing it's the accent. Anyway, those biblical videos in Izza/Ezilo/Ekpeye are what really inspired me to do this, and hopefully I'll be doing more of this in the future.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:12am On Jan 26, 2013
Heh, it wasn't too hard, just that at some points, the sounds seemed to run together. Most of it was intelligible though. Kind of makes me feel like doing a recording of my own.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by odumchi: 2:55am On Jan 26, 2013
Go for it.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by EzePromoe: 6:34am On Jan 26, 2013
Afam4eva: ^^^
When i was in port-hacourt, that place was called Obigbo. Did they change it all of a sudden to Oyigbo?

i also want to know what language "Etche" is grouped under cos i once heard someone classify it as Ikwerre. The guy told me there's Ikwerre-Etche and another Ikwerre.
That is what is written on sign posts now. All these Rivers Igbo group sef. Always changing name to sound less Igbo.

Concerning Etche, they're not Ikwerres. They're considered as dialect of their own which they misunderstand it to be a language. There is only one place that is known as Ikwerre-Etche and that is County Grammar School, that was were I schooled during my secondary education. Asides that, no where again. The school is called Ikwerre-Etche because it is located in the boundary between Ikwerre L.G.A and Etche L.G.A stretching from Igwuruta (Ikwerre) into Chokocho (Etche).
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by igreal20(m): 7:06pm On Apr 08, 2013
o'boy:
Ok guys,but i think he sometimes uses the onicha dialect e.g in the song he featured Stormrex
he sang "Nme me yi ife nine".go and listen to Onicha people they use "yi" instead of "gi"
but my anambra dialect says ,hu,
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by igreal20(m): 7:08pm On Apr 08, 2013
Afam4eva: Firrslt, there's no such thing as mainstream Anambra dialect. The dialects are different depending on the particular place. For instance, Onitsha would say "Ife" while Awka will say "Ive".

What flavour speaks is a micture of Enugu Urban Igbo and a particular Anambra dialect which i'm not sure which it is. But they usually sound similar. A lot of people don't speak a particulat dialect. They have them muddled up. For instance, i'm always very careful when speaking Igbo with someone not from Nkanu cos i don't want to mistakenly use a word that the person won't understand. I just have everything mixed up.

@topic
I like the Owerri dialect as it pertains to music. I also like the sexxy Anambra dialect. If you hear girl speak Anambra dialetc for you ehhh....
my dialet says ihe or iye ihiala
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by oboy3(m): 7:30pm On Apr 08, 2013
igreal20: but my anambra dialect says ,hu,
pls kindly re-read that post carefully i was actually talking about Onicha people there
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by AndreUweh(m): 9:14pm On Apr 08, 2013
ChinenyeN:
Oyigbo is not a people. It's an LGA that was named (or renamed) from Obigbo town, which was established in the 20th century by hinterland Igbo immigrants who were looking for work in the new oil industry. The indigenes of Oyigbo are Asa and Ndoki, but Obigbo has since been integrated to the point that it is now an Ndoki community. In my honest opinion, Obigbo is practically no different from "Izugbe", but that's just them. The other [indigenous] communities don't sound like that, and instead sound more like communities in Ukwa and Ngwa areas.
I was about to write same then I saw your post.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by ezeagu(m): 12:21pm On Apr 14, 2013
ChinenyeN:

I think it's coal industry, since they say the migrants were part of the people that built the railway from 'Iguocha' to Enugu.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:15pm On Apr 14, 2013
ezeagu: I think it's coal industry, since they say the migrants were part of the people that built the railway from 'Iguocha' to Enugu.
Yea, I think you're actually correct. I might have misspoken on that aspect.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by Omahjasper(m): 12:48am On Aug 14, 2022
Igbo dialect is more than 30 in number!
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by Omahjasper(m): 1:06am On Aug 14, 2022
odumchi:

Nwoke m, ezi okwu ka i kwuru. I agree, but the problem is that many of people on this website lack exposure to diversity (in the Igbo context) and thus react somehow when people who are different from them surface. I'm sure you've seen what is going on on that "What is Imo state best known for" thread? If people continue to react that way, our brethren from the different corners of Igboland would be discouraged from participating.
Ikwo dialect Alphabet's
A B Ch D E F G Gb GW Gh H I i J K KF KP KW L M Mb N NCH NW NY O Ó P
R S Sh T Ts U Ú V W Y Z

A.......Aphia
B......Bulee
c......cherumú
D.....doobiyaa
E........Ephiee
F.........foyoolu
G .......Guufiya
Gb......gbeeyaegbegbe
GW.........Gweeyaegwegwe
GH.....Ghutiyaahuta
H.......hetiyaeheta
I....Ikike
i......ijeoma
J.....jeewaruoo
K.....kuutarumiiya
KF....Kfuriiya
KP......kpeetalaazu
KW......kweetanuu
L......laaphutaazu
M......meetajiyamma
Mb .....mbuleembu
N......natarumiya
NCH......nchileke, nchikfu
Nw......nwekeoyo.
NY......nyatarumiiya
O.....opuu, obuu..
ó ....ochioku
P ......peempeem, paatapata.
R......Reeyaereere
S.......sofurunnenyu
Sh......shiibeité
T.....tupfurumuiya
Ts.....tsuudee
U.....unuu
ú.......únuu
V ....vutarumiyaa
W....weeyaewewe
Y......yeetamunueka
Z.......zuutarumunuiphe

here we are going to use ikwo alphabet � in making a sentences; thus every letter in capital letters is representing the verb and conjunction, preposition etc.
A...mee ejeewa " APHIA" ntaando teemeñú tenshi abata tee ishigeekwa nrii onó.
B......ntaamadu iphe ifuhuúnú efufuu ntá ndoo"OBULEE" nziñyú ozii bée isuru Lee meemenyu mmegude.
CH....biaa nwatâ baa agbashi osó "CHERUMÚ" tebeeh idaiko.
D.......obuule irijiwaru ewoo, ngee eje "DOOBlYA" inuwarú.
E.....egee mgbooko du beemuu t'amadu bu "EPHIEE" bée anoanono toobuloo ureenyansi.
F....." FOYOOLU, FONAYAOLU" wuuriyaa yee lee imee ité onó kpamkpam.
G.......owhe mbuuh ogogó onó ngaa "AGUFIYAA" teebee oñuu nshii.
GB..... "GBEEYAEGBEGBE" teemenú yoo obaahú dee leeh imeeokonó.
GW ......jee nkee nwànyí onoo èree enwuru, jaa azutaru'm nké mkpeekwo tee'm ngude ekamu "GWEEYAEGWEGWE".
GH....nwatâ oono anú teekwekpodua tee ii "GHUTIYAAHUTA".
H ....... nwatâ oono aara ekwá biko "HETIYAEHETA".
I .....ndiibeayi meeme temú jiaadu obu soo egburu anú okpu_"IKIKE".
i ......."ijeoma" beebú epha maamamú.
J.....emegé nge ee "JEEWARUOO"
K...... "KUUTARUMIIYA" t'eem ria egoonó.
KF......jee nke nnajiufu ayi jee "KFURIIYA" tee obiaa.
KP.....onyé bu ogurenya" KPEETALAAZU".
KW .....okwa obuule ii "KWEETANUU" m'abia.
L....mzirunyu ozi nguatsu onu rumurumu "LAAPHUTAAZU".
M....nwànyí obuule gbaambo "MEETAJIYAMMA" mbu njiewe.
MB....... teemenú tee uwa bidoo Lee "MBULEEMBU"bée nchileke keeru igwe bia ekee ali.
N...... nwanyi oono nturu aphia laadé ngaa "NATARUMIYA" ngwa ophee oono nturiya onó.
NCH..... sonso "NCHILEKE" bu onyé anu ndzu.
NW.....ntá amadulee "NWEKEOYO" beebú onyé okfu.
NY......bikobiko "NATARUMIYA" moobu mzahaya.
O.....nyunú kparuiphe ta akpu jeehedú "OBUU" ngamgbo.
Ó......onyé enya acha okú beebú "ÓCHIOKU".
P......saakwa ekwá onoo tee ocha "PEEMPEEM".
R.....vutiya jee ee "REEYAEREERE" leeime aphia.
S...... nwatâ obuule "SOFURUNNENYU" yeele nnanyu.
SH......oorua ureenyansi nge ee "SHIIBEITÉ" nri.
T .......noodú lee eli "TUPFURUMUIYA" teebee odalee ali.
TS...... nwanyi "TSUUDEE" mufutaraayi nwatâ oono.
U.......owaa bu nké "UNUU" lee ohaa.
Ú.......nri oono gbee dulephu "ÚNÙ" ta atsudiya.
V...... obuule odalee ebaa ngee "VUTARUMIYAA" temú zuua.
W .....otumu onoo haa nuka nshinu "WEEYAEWEWE" tee oruteeka
Y.....bia bée "YEETAMUNUEKA" teemú Vutaa nkuu Biko.
Z ....... rée nú iphe waa ZUUTARUMUNUIPHE mee iruaa aphia.

this write up is not copy right, neither republished.
discovered by @omahjasper@ nwaamaalí ugooma aka eguinyima...
✅ 13/08/22...
appréciations to almighty who by his mighty hands and strength that i completed this write up!
also to to my parents and all my well wishers and friends..
this alphabet � is mainly for ikwo language, and some other related languages like Ezza, Izzii etc.
Re: Ndigbo:which Other Igbo Dialect Do You Love And Want To Learn? by glorious614: 9:55am On Aug 14, 2022
I dont even know how to speak any

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The Relationship Between Madness And Laughing? / All You Need To Know About Agwụ Ikenga Temple / Fulani's Are More Beautiful Than The Horners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.