Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,392 members, 7,815,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria (8641 Views)

Abacha Loot Is Too Huge For Us To Handle – World Bank / Attacks By Boko Haram Have Reduced In Nigeria, Says Buhari - ThisDay / Poverty Has A Bold Northern Face Says Shettima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jan 16, 2013
ocelot2006:

It's the World Bank we're talking about. I'm pretty sure they performed their research quite well and thoroughly. Or would you have prefered to hear that poverty was on the increase?
So i should believe every trash World Bank says? wonderful! It is now world bank that tells us who is employed and who is jobless or maybe world bank came to my house and asked me if i work. mtscheeew!

2 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by mrhotcoin(m): 5:01pm On Jan 16, 2013
i have never seen a world bank official in my villa before so i wonder where they carry out this sampling and research before reaching a conclusion, u can't judge 9ja from Abuja.

3 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by solomon111(m): 5:02pm On Jan 16, 2013
e-talker:

The same question applies to u. Where is the proof that poverty has reduced?

Please don't quote the "World Bank"
I am sure you were one of those 'Nigerians' who believed, when the world bank said 70% of Nigerians lived on less than a dollar,a day.
Don't discard the world bank now.

3 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by sperony(m): 5:03pm On Jan 16, 2013
Road access to poor people area becoming more difficult so it is only the rich data that can be captured.
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jan 16, 2013
Hogwash.
Go to inner Nigeria and see poverty personified.
go to the North and see how poverty has wprn human face.

All na wash.
So many unemployed youths, high crime rates (kidnapping/armed robbery).What do those point to.
Those World Bank people sef.

1 Like

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by vanstanzy(m): 5:04pm On Jan 16, 2013
fkaz: The World Bank has praised economic policies of the present administration declaring that it has led to slight reduction in the country’s poverty index from 48 to 46 percent.
Speaking when he visited President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday, World Bank’s vice president for Africa, Mr Mouktar Diop, said Nigeria’s economic indicators remained positive even times of recession.
He said “at the time when the economy is going down, we have seen that Nigeria has been keeping a growth rate which is rather significant. So, I was here to hear from the President’s priority and discuss other issues such as how poverty has been evolving in the country and what we can do to accelerate the reduction of poverty.
“Our work recently has shown that there is slight reduction in the level of poverty in Nigeria moving from 48 to 46 percent. The trend is good. It needs to be accelerated obviously. What we discussed are the policies that we can put in place to accelerate the pace of poverty reduction in Nigeria.”
Diop said the World Bank has decided to intervene in Nigeria’s energy crisis saying, “We decided at the World Bank to put up a task force which will include private sector branch to support the reform. It is good that the reform is really making progress. I was with the main players of the power sector today, and they were all happy with the reform process so far.”
On his part, Jonathan said though some of the reforms were not easy to push through, his administration would continue to do its best towards ensuring sustainable growth in the country.
“We will continue to do our best. We would have had more robust growth by now but for the global economic recession. With your continued support, we will certainly achieve more,” the president said.
Jonathan said that with the continued support of the World Bank, other international institutions and investors the Federal Government will achieve an even higher growth rate for the national economy.
http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/news-news/48572-world-bank-poverty-has-reduced-in-nigeria

grin grin grin

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by brownlord: 5:07pm On Jan 16, 2013
What do u expect, when ngozi okonjo, is the coordinating minister of the economy. Was in the state house to recieve him with his retardeen master, so the fucking Murkhtar diop, can sit in comfort of the AC tight office and chair, and speak poo, bastards, over 70 % of the entire population are still too poor to eat 3 square meals, the numbers of unemployed graduate are doubling everyday, God purnish em mouth
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by jmaine: 5:07pm On Jan 16, 2013
ocelot2006:

It's the World Bank we're talking about. I'm pretty sure they performed their research quite well and thoroughly. Or would you have prefered to hear that poverty was on the increase?

The sad answer is a yes . . . . . They love mastvbating over negative reports

1 Like

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by sniperwolf(m): 5:08pm On Jan 16, 2013
What part of Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jan 16, 2013
GEJ will continue to disappoint his critics and enemies until they begin to praise him.

1 Like

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by igbeke: 5:10pm On Jan 16, 2013
baby_123: It is easy to make up numbers in the comfort of a fully equipped AC room somewhere in the west. When most of the data you have access to, is provided by people perpetuating fraud in the Nigerian government.
by d way, how did dey come abt d data dey used? was dere any survey 2 dat effect?
dis cud be a cooked-up stat.
how do u justify poverty reduction in d midst of rising unemployment!
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by vanstanzy(m): 5:11pm On Jan 16, 2013
Diop said this, "So, I was here to hear from the President’s priority and discuss other issues such as how poverty has been evolving in the country". YEAH! poverty has really been evolving in Nigeria like the Evolution theory, its been evolving from an Ape to a man. Can u beat that? grin grin grin grin grin

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by SlyIg(f): 5:14pm On Jan 16, 2013
Wealth is increasing but not poverty is reducing. Point of correction to World Bank pls. Thank you...
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by sobastical: 5:14pm On Jan 16, 2013
Can't believe this at all, very obviously they don't make a thorough research/survey cos if they do they will clearly see that there hasn't been a cogent change per say
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by sobastical: 5:16pm On Jan 16, 2013
Dee60: He probably made the statement after eating Isiewu in Aso Rock!

Stepping it down with chilled beer/palmmy/soft drink...etc cheesy
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by sobastical: 5:16pm On Jan 16, 2013
Can't believe this at all, very obviously they don't make a thorough research/survey cos if they do they will clearly see that there hasn't been a cogent change per say
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Wallie(m): 5:20pm On Jan 16, 2013
THE REPORT IS CORRECT!

Poverty did decrease, albeit slightly, because more previously-poor people now “chop” a larger share of the national cake at the expense of the ultra-wealthy. The ultra-wealthy are former-ultra rich people that are now just rich because they’re no longer in power.

GEJ is robbing the rich to give to the poor; technically speaking! grin I bet we now have more SS and SE rich folks!

1 Like

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by takedat(m): 5:24pm On Jan 16, 2013
Never trust these Bretton Woods institutions. According to the World Bank's Chief Economist for African region when asked in October 2012 about poverty rate in Nigeria, he stated that the data supplied by National Bureau of Statistics are controversial and unreliable. See: www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/no-reliable-data-on-nigerias-poverty-rate-world-bank/

UNDP also complained over the rising poverty level in the country in August 2012. See:
ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97171:rising-poverty-level-in-nigeria-worries-undp&catid=31:business&Itemid=562

Where did the visiting Mr. Diop manufacture the reduction in poverty index?

2 Likes

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by etalker: 5:33pm On Jan 16, 2013
solomon111: I am sure you were one of those 'Nigerians' who believed, when the world bank said 70% of Nigerians lived on less than a dollar,a day.

What yardstick did they use in measuring or coming to the conclusion that poverty has reduced?
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Rossikk(m): 5:34pm On Jan 16, 2013
e-talker:

The same question applies to u. Where is the proof that poverty has reduced?

solomon111: I am sure you were one of those 'Nigerians' who believed, when the world bank said 70% of Nigerians lived on less than a dollar,a day.

YOU DEY MIND THEM? Cursed people for whom only bad news makes sense.

By the way, this 46% poverty business, it kind of contradicts recently popularised, irresponsible, wild claims to the effect that ''90% of Nigerians live on less than a dollar a day''. I'm sure that's the kind of unsubstantiated garbage folks like 'e talker' would readily accept without demanding ''proof''.
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by wellmax(m): 5:36pm On Jan 16, 2013
Poverty has only shifted base, .....northwards... grin grin grin
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by nkenu(m): 5:40pm On Jan 16, 2013
This is a white lie o cool cool shocked when Nigerians are suffering NA him this man come say poverty has reduced? Haba mallam, go back and tell who send you say NA lie him talk. By the way, how much them give you make you talk this talk?
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Rossikk(m): 5:40pm On Jan 16, 2013
wellmax: Poverty has only shifted base, .....northwards... grin grin grin

It's a lie. Poverty has REDUCED in the country. End of story. Unless you have your own personal research methodology that's different from global institutions like the UN and World Bank.
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by saintol(m): 5:42pm On Jan 16, 2013
Poverty in Nigeria has reduced from 48% to 46%. Hmmm! It is a political statement o. Any way, wetin u wan make the man talk. Wise man! Abeg i fit see garri and groundnut with cold pure water. undecidedPoverty in Nigeria has reduced from 48% to 46%. Hmmm! It is a political statement o. Any way, wetin u wan make the man talk. Wise man! Abeg i fit see garri and groundnut with cold pure water.
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by Godogwu: 5:45pm On Jan 16, 2013
berem: from 48 to 46 percent abi? how did they arrive at the figures anyway? did they carry out a survey? wonders will continue to wonder in this country.

You nitwit!!! As long as its good news you begin to question their credibility. The fact tht you didnt grow richer doesn't mean your neighbours aren't progressing. You should probably check yourself
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by fkaz(m): 5:45pm On Jan 16, 2013
govt magic
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by logica(m): 5:46pm On Jan 16, 2013
Maybe the poor people are dying off.

1 Like

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by slimfit1(m): 5:47pm On Jan 16, 2013
Something is very clear in this result. The guy is African something have been paid for 4 real. Diop is on that women's pay role so I ll say he has been bribed to chat crap one way or the other.
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by FXKing2012(m): 5:48pm On Jan 16, 2013
To all those ACN sympathizers who see nothing good in GEJ, here is proof the man is doing something plus the fact that power generation in Nigeria has never been this good.

Nigerians just love to be negative, cynical and skeptical.

1 Like

Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by baby124: 5:54pm On Jan 16, 2013
logica: Maybe the poor people are dying off.

grin grin grin cheesy

Very plausible explanation. The rate at which the rich are dying, the poor dont stand a chance.
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by 2Legit2Qui: 5:57pm On Jan 16, 2013
berem: from 48 to 46 percent abi? how did they arrive at the figures anyway? did they carry out a survey? wonders will continue to wonder in this country.

You think they sit on NairaLand all day without doing their work?
Re: World Bank: Poverty Has Reduced In Nigeria by 2Legit2Qui: 5:58pm On Jan 16, 2013
slim fit :
Something is very clear in this result. The guy is African something have been paid for 4 real. Diop is on that women's pay role so I ll say he has been bribed to chat crap one way or the other.

How do you think? dumb.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) / FAAC: FG Shares N610.36bn Allocation To Three Tiers Of Govt. In Feb / ELECTION PETITIONS: Appeal Court Transfers All Pending Cases To Abuja, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.