Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,322 members, 7,829,795 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

How To Be A Productive Neighbor - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How To Be A Productive Neighbor (4551 Views)

7 Steps To A Productive Ramadan / The 7 Goals Of A Productive Day- Surah Fatiha / How To Be A Productive Neighbour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Be A Productive Neighbor by tbaba1234: 8:05pm On Jan 17, 2013
How to be a Productive Neighbor

by Sana Gul

Aisha (may Allāh be pleased with her) reported:

“I heard the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, say, ‘Jibreel, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, kept on recommending that I treat neighbors well until I thought that he would order me to treat them as my heirs’ “[Bukhari].

“And worship Allah and do not ascribe any partner to Him … the neighbor who is near of kin, the neighbor who is a stranger … Indeed Allah does not like anyone who is a swaggering braggart” (Quran chapter 4, verse 36).

A neighbor is one who lives near or next to another. Al-Hasan was asked about the neighbor and said, ”The term ’neighbor’ includes the forty houses in
front a person, the forty houses behind him, the forty houses on his right and the forty houses on his left.”

Neighbors are the first people whom we can run to in case of an emergency, be it a desperate need of salt or a fire in the night – Subhanallah! How beautiful is our religion that it coaches us to be our best with our neighbors.

So let’s see how we can be Productive Neighbors and earn the pleasure of Allah (glorified and exalted be He):

1. Be Kind

Abu Shuraih Al-Khuza`i (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) said,
“He who believes in Allah and the Last Day, let him be kind to his neighbor [Muslim].

Offer your neighbor a ride if you see them walking to the grocery store. Make chicken soup or home-made medicines for the common cold; ie, make sure they are in good health and let them know you are there for them.

2. Be Helpful

If you meet a new neighbor while they are moving in, greet them with a smile and bring them refreshments. Give them a quick run-through of the area in general, where things are located, and what can they expect from the community. If a former neighbor is moving out, then help them with packing, cleaning, and bring them dinner or lunch. If a neighbor is pregnant then organize a “food list” and all neighbors can chose a day on which they can bring food or help out in the house during the last weeks and the early weeks after child birth. Offer a ride to the school if your children go to the same one, or car pool.

3. Give Gifts

When you make something, send some over to your neighbor. Buy an extra box of donuts and give it to your neighbor. Abu Hurairah (may Allāh be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) said,

“O Muslim women! No one of you should consider insignificant (a gift) to give to her neighbor even if it is (a gift of) the trotters of a sheep” [Bukhari and Muslim].

4. Stay Connected

Have tea/coffee once in a while together, visit them, or invite them over to your place. Stop for a one-minute chat when you see them outside. In this manner, you will know if they are sick or in need of something. It will also build your relationship just to know what is happening in your neighbor’s life, as well as give your neighbor a chance to get to know you better as well.

5. Form Hobby Clubs

You can form informal clubs together based on the common things you enjoy. These could be book clubs, craft clubs, gardening clubs, cooking clubs, etc. Plan walks or exercise routines together. It always helps to motivate oneself if such things are done in a group.

6. Be a Good Muslim Neighbor

In addition to the above ideas, here some more ideas of what can you do with a Muslim neighbor.

Organize halaqas– have weekly or monthly talks. Each neighbor should get a chance to host one, or you could make use of the community halls in your community to host them. Organize youth halaqas for the youth of the neighborhood. If you have a mosque in the community, then make it point to use it for the halaqas and ask someone who knows Arabic or tajweed to teach it to the rest. Invite the new neighbor to the halaqas or the potlucks held at
the mosque or in the community.

Share Islamic knowledge – Get an extra pamphlet or free books that are given away with Islamic knowledge for your neighbor. Let them know about anything new that you learnt in the deen, maybe a new course that you started or a new website you checked or even a new article or book that you read.

Give gifts on festive occasions – make it a point to get gifts for your neighbor on Eids and share the special delicacies that you make on Eid.

7. A Muslim Relative Neighbor

A relative Muslim neighbor enjoys the maximum rights. So in addition to all the other tips, here is something more you can do to earn that extra hasanaat, inshallah:

Stay connected: Make it a point to meet often.

Share news of the family: Share any family news of marriages, job promotions, illnesses that you have come to know of so that they can also keep in touch with the other relatives.

Invite them – Make it a point to invite them often to the family gatherings that you host.

Having a good neighbor is a true blessing from Allah (glorified and exalted be He), a blessing which I have been blessed with and am deeply thankful for. Let’s try to be Productive Neighbors and walk on the path shown to us by Allah (glorified and exalted be He) and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him).

“The best of companions in the sight of Allah Almighty is the best of them towards his companion, and the best of neighbors in the sight of Allah is the best of them towards his neighbor” [Al-Albani].

About the Author:
Sana Gul is a mother of two and a student , learning the Quran and the Seerah. She works for Islamic Lifestyle , a group aiming to help people live their lives according to the Quran and Sunnah.
She also writes for the blog islamiclifestyle4u..

http://productivemuslim.com/how-to-be-a-productive-neighbour/#utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+Feed&utm_content=Yahoo%21+Mail

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by maclatunji: 3:47pm On Jan 18, 2013
Ok, noted!
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by donsax: 11:20am On Jan 22, 2013
Just change the topic to How To Be A Productive Neighbor for (muslims)

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by Wisdytech(m): 11:23am On Jan 22, 2013
NICE WORD$!
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by superior1: 11:25am On Jan 22, 2013
I wish all the Muslims i know (including JAMBS, POST JAMB and Boko-boys) will adhere to all these teachings

1 Like

Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by Walexz02(m): 11:34am On Jan 22, 2013
MashaAllah tank you tbaba.
They are all noted, tank u 1s again.
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by trix1: 11:52am On Jan 22, 2013
This is the first section where I've see the warning "To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam." boldly written, and yet your post says

tbaba1234:

4. Stay Connected

Have tea/coffee once in a while together, visit them, or invite them over to your place. Stop for a one-minute chat when you see them outside. In this manner, you will know if they are sick or in need of something. It will also build your relationship just to know what is happening in your neighbor’s life, as well as give your neighbor a chance to get to know you better as well.

People have been intimidated so much that they have to tip toe around islamic threads to avoid being banned, is that how to stay connected and build relationships?

I personally think threads that hit the front page be excluded from this islamic rule or such threads shouldn't hit the front page. You cant expect to have the same front page exposure as other people and insist on gagging people from expressing themselves because you feel its offensive to islam.

Pastors and Christianity generally get bashed every other day on the front page, or is Christianity more tolerant than islam?

6 Likes

Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by maclatunji: 11:57am On Jan 22, 2013
trix!:
This is the first section where I've see the warning "To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam." boldly written, and yet your post says

People have been intimidated so much that they have to tip toe around islamic threads to avoid being banned, is that how to stay connected and build relationships?

I personally think threads that hit the front page be excluded from this islamic rule or such threads shouldn't hit the front page. You cant expect to have the same front page exposure as other people and insist on gagging people from expressing themselves because you feel its offensive to islam.

Pastors and Christianity generally get bashed every other day on the front page, or is Christianity more tolerant than islam?

Put there by who? #LOL

Your argument falls on its face ab initio.
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by salaudol(m): 11:57am On Jan 22, 2013
"Follow peace wt all men......" Good teaching. I feel blessed and proud to practice islam. For IT means peace. Mashallah!!!!!!
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by trix1: 12:04pm On Jan 22, 2013
maclatunji:

Put there by who? #LOL

Your argument falls on its face ab initio.

What exactly is your point? that the person who put it there is infallible?
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by maclatunji: 12:10pm On Jan 22, 2013
trix!:

What exactly is your point? that the person who put it there is infallible?

You cannot use the actions of non-Muslims as evidence of your perceived Muslim 'intolerance', that would not make any sense- would it?
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by superior1: 12:24pm On Jan 22, 2013
maclatunji:

You cannot use the actions of non-Muslims as evidence of your perceived Muslim 'intolerance', that would not make any sense- would it?
Can you elucidate please?

2 Likes

Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jan 22, 2013
maclatunji:

yes...Islam is by fire by force now...
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jan 22, 2013
mawojuuche:

yes...Islam is by fire by force now...
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by Basic(m): 12:33pm On Jan 22, 2013
trix!:

There's a clear difference between expressing yourself RATIONALLY and being offensive. If anyone is here to express himself in an ethical way, I don't think such a person should have a problem with the red warning.

But, sincerely, I think a similar warning should be placed on Christian threads too. I think this will discourage those who have nothing to contribute to religious threads but spew trash and leave. I'm a Muslim, and I'm pleased to be one. And I see no reason why a SANE Muslim should bash other people's religion.

So, let others respect Islaam as well.
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by superior1: 12:36pm On Jan 22, 2013
Basic:
There's a clear difference between expressing yourself RATIONALLY and being offensive. If anyone is here to express himself in an ethical way, I don't think such a person should have a problem with the red warning.

But, sincerely, I think a similar warning should be placed on Christian threads too. I think this will discourage those who have nothing to contribute to religious threads but spew trash and leave. I'm a Muslim, and I'm pleased to be one. And I see no reason why a SANE Muslim should bash other people's religion.

Cant agree more with you
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by maclatunji: 12:48pm On Jan 22, 2013
superior1:
Can you elucidate please?

Non-Muslims break rules, they get banned they complain.

Non-Muslims complain that they want a warning- they get it from another non-Muslim.

Non-Muslims still complain about the red warning when they see it.

What do they want Muslims to do? I know #Disappear or be #Silent

But that won't happen. At least, not under my watch.

cheesy grin cheesy
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by trix1: 1:33pm On Jan 22, 2013
maclatunji:

Non-Muslims complain that they want a warning- they get it from another non-Muslim.

cheesy grin cheesy

[b]
At some point, you'd need to step off your high horse and really think through what you type before posting. I did not disclose my religion, perhaps if I did not put that last line in my original post, you may have had a different thought pattern.

Let me attempt to realign your thought process.

You would agree with me that the points posited by the poster are beneficial to not just Muslims? No? or is living peacefully with your neighbor only for Muslims?

You strut around, like you take pleasure in banning people and shutting them out from anything that has to do with Islam. people who have constipation of ideas and diarrhea of the mouth would spew trash on every section, but putting a warning on only one section, makes its look like that section is the most intolerant.

If its only Non Muslims that make all the complains, why was this section created? which religion wrote the warning letter to seun? let me not digress, stop making this whole thing a case of Muslims against non-Muslims.[/b]
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by superior1: 1:36pm On Jan 22, 2013
maclatunji:

cheesy grin cheesy

Can we also have it like this

When Non-Christians break rules (talking thrash against Christianity), they should get banned and if they complain
Non-Christians should be given warning by Non-Christians so that we can have equity, don't you think so?.

By the way, I hope you will agree Non-Muslims is not equal to Christian vice versa
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by maclatunji: 2:02pm On Jan 22, 2013
superior1:

Can we also have it like this

When Non-Christians break rules (talking thrash against Christianity), they should get banned and if they complain
Non-Christians should be given warning by Non-Christians so that we can have equity, don't you think so?.

By the way, I hope you will agree Non-Muslims is not equal to Christian vice versa

Contact Seun for that. I can't help you with it.
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by Akpan107(m): 2:15pm On Jan 22, 2013
Jesus Christ has already said it all ''love your neighbor as yourself'' i think, that is the best way to love your neighbor!
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by superior1: 2:18pm On Jan 22, 2013
maclatunji:

Contact Seun for that. I can't help you with it.

Ha Oga Tunji, try and use your connection with Seun now, atleast that will demonstrate to every right thinking person that you believe in OP's teaching or you are afraid of getting banned? after-all once awhile, you also post some bad stuffs about Pastors and by the way, i didnt know Seun is a Non-Muslimgrin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by maclatunji: 2:22pm On Jan 22, 2013
Akpan107: Jesus Christ has already said it all ''love your neighbor as yourself'' i think, that is the best way to love your neighbor!

What is the pratical import of that? Someone else said love others more than you love yourself. It is not enough to say these things without working out how to praticalise it.

For some people, exchanging wives is an example of loving their neighbours, do you subscribe to that?

Your post is too simplistic for comfort.
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by maclatunji: 2:25pm On Jan 22, 2013
superior1:

Ha Oga Tunji, try and use your connection with Seun now, atleast that will demonstrate to every right thinking person that you believe in OP's teaching or you are afraid of getting banned? after-all once awhile, you also post some bad stuffs about Pastors and by the way, i didnt know Seun is a Non-Muslimgrin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Ok, I will forward your message to him, not now though but please where did I 'insult pastors'? Let me see.
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by Jaideyone(m): 8:02am On Jan 23, 2013
Basic:

My friend keep quite. people take turns yo bash pastors with jets and even those that don't have. You folks say all sort of things on other threads and you don't get banned till 2015. When I said the Muslims that went to see the sign in idumota the other day were delusional my post was hidden and my alt account (captleonerd) was banned till 2015.
Re: How To Be A Productive Neighbor by CGKing(m): 10:09pm On Jan 23, 2013
Pls we need more of these teachings. Infect please more. It's gonna take a whole lot more than u can imagine. U have no idea. Pls just help us with more.

Also, modify the topic, so we all know where we ought not to thread.

(1) (Reply)

Less Than 60 Days To Ramadan. Sisters, Have You Paid Your Missed Fast? / Prophet Muhammad Foretold Of Indecent Dressing & Attachment Hair- Denizen Of Hel / Significance Of The Day Of Arafat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.