Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,868 members, 7,862,906 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 08:49 AM

Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola (18872 Views)

Prosecute Jonathan For Corruption –lagos CAN / Bauchi Will Cease To Exist As A State Without Oil-yuguda / A Nigeria Without Oil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Eziachi: 11:20pm On Jan 18, 2013
aribisala0:
The reason I challenge you is because it is a false claim and perhaps you should know better than to propagate a falsehood to impressionable young people.Nigeria was created in 1914 and Lagos was the Capital from day one. If you have contrary evidence let us have it !!!

No, Nigeria wasn't created in 1914, it was the Amalgamation of all components of Nigeria that happened in 1914.
By 1891 my late great grandfather were already trading Palm produce, rubber with the Royal Niger Company of Britannia in exchange for White-horse Bicycles.
What makes Lagos, what it is today is infrastructures it enjoy as the capital until Abuja came along
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by aribisala0(m): 11:21pm On Jan 18, 2013
DaLover:

Read the following Wikipedia links for your own cure
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos_Colony
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Lagos

Did you see where oil accelerated the growth of lagos in the 60s to 80s?
Did you see how he need o stop the slave trade forced the British to enter lagos in he first instance and how run away slaves settled in lagos from all oops and cranny rapidly increasing the population?
Do you now see that Lagos has been lucky to have gotten special treatment from day 1, not because its indigenes are exceptionally brilliant.
From the other links by aribisala0:
Do you see that oil and rubber from the Niger delta helped the British with the foundational development for lagos?

Do you see the need to stop arguing and be humble?
I think any intelligent person can read between the line. The British were active participants and benefactors in the slave trade and have tried to rewrite history to say they stopped the trade. That of course is the subject of a more advanced discussion .Tate and Lyle and many other sugar related businesses were all built on the back of slaves.Our people say until the lions have their own story tellers it is the hunter that will tell the story of the hunt.The Bristish write that they colonized Lagos to stop the slave trade and you are dutifully echoing that. They can then tell your black brothers in America it was you own people selling you and we are the ones that stopped. Well leave that for another place.After stopping the slave trave why stay on for 70 years creating a country Hmm.

Back to Lagos. Wikipedia is not a totally useless source of information but certainly not a refernce point when there is an argument or dispute.
http://libsysdigi.library.illinois.edu/ilharvest/Africana/Books2011-05/3064634/3064634_1898_lagos/3064634_1898_lagos_opt.pdf
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jan 18, 2013
DaLover:

Yes it's open to any and everybody but he shouldn't become angry when the land owners lay claim....every city in southern nigeria is open to all...
If you for instance invest your hard earned money in warri, why should you be angry or feel slighted if I call warri an ijaw city?
DaLover:

Yes it's open to any and everybody but he shouldn't become angry when the land owners lay claim....every city in southern nigeria is open to all...
If you for instance invest your hard earned money in warri, why should you be angry or feel slighted if I call warri an ijaw city?

Which Warri is Ijaw city? Abeg i no get time for PDP and village chest beater like you. Aribisala is giving you colonial era documents, you are quoting wiki?

Omo u lame gan no be small.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by aribisala0(m): 11:25pm On Jan 18, 2013
Eziachi:

No, Nigeria wasn't created in 1914, it was the Amalgamation of all components of Nigeria that happened in 1914.
By 1891 my late great grandfather were already trading Palm produce, rubber with the Royal Niger Company of Britannia in exchange for White-horse Bicycles.
What makes Lagos, what it is today is infrastructures it enjoy as the capital until Abuja came along
The amalgamation of the components WAS the creation of NIGERIA
ONCE AGAIN AMALGAMATION created Nigeria
and Finally Nigeria was created by Amalgamation in

When was CALABAR the CAPITAL ??

Are you able to help us with that
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Eziachi: 11:29pm On Jan 18, 2013
0lumide:

your "IF TO SAY" na wash!!

All your Niger Delta states have been collecting more money than Lagos since 1999. Wetin Happen?

When Capital was moved from Calabar, why didn't Calabar be like Lagos? Wait, why is Lagos better than Calabar? even before oil?

The money from the SEAPORT doesn't even go to Lagos state account. It goes to FG so building the seaport in Lagos is not a Lagos business and a Yoruba man didn't advice FG to build the seaport there.

Lagos is planning to build it's own SEAPORT why hasn't Calabar done the same?

When FG sweet una mouth with dredging river niger lol, y'all thought it would affect Lagos income no be so? We shall see. Lagos gets nothing from the port. And if majority of the product imported ends up in Lagos causing the buyers to pay taxes, is that Lagos' problem? or how does that mean that Lagos is chopping oil money?

One thing you people don't understand is that Lagos is not mineral resources based economy like Nigeria. Lagos is market based!!!!!!!

This is another if for you:
If there is a law today that will force all mining companies to site all their corporate head offices in places where they get their findings- how many middle class families do think will mass exit from Lagos following this firms to go? They will go with their corporate and individual taxes with them. House prices will be significantly be reduced in and around Lagos. Do you know the pact that will have on Lagos economy?
If you take all the federal ministries and their subs that are still kept in Lagos, how much impact do you think it will have on Lagos both short and long terms? And fast forward, years after that, the impact will be very visible for the blind to see.

A city like Osogbo today, is it the same city it was before they made it a capital of a state? Probably prior to Osogbo becoming a capital, real state price there must be in pennies but today, it might have increased by 5000% just because of its present statu as a capital, and that is what made Lagos what it is till today. The former political/economic capital of Nigeria and today, still the economic capital of Nigeria till tomorrow.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Eziachi: 11:34pm On Jan 18, 2013
aribisala0:
The amalgamation of the components WAS the creation of NIGERIA
ONCE AGAIN AMALGAMATION created Nigeria
and Finally Nigeria was created by Amalgamation in

When was CALABAR the CAPITAL ??

Are you able to help us with that
I thought the word Amalgamation is simple word? So in your opinion the British arrived in 1914? I knew folks from my town that fought for the Brits in 1914 war, even though they are not combatants.
People like Dr Azikiwe and many other Igbos were born in Northern Nigeria before 1914 and their parents, working for the British-Nigerian Railway corporations.
When was Calabar the capital? I thought I have answered that before, that I can't give you a date, because I am not one of those that make this up just to win an argument. Just because I don't know period you were in primary school education doesn't mean that you don't have one.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Hardfact: 11:36pm On Jan 18, 2013
0lumide:

Which your common wealth? For your unnavigable land? Which common wealth? Shay na your common wealth also give Western Nigeria highest GDP since the inception of Nigeria to now? Na your common wealth?

When you talk oil, Yorubas have oil tooooooooooooooooo!!! Itsekiri and Ilaje oil donation to FG nko? Those ones no count? Lagos is not dependent on anyone but the Yorubas common wealth. Go and die! All oil producing states get more money than Lagos, why haven't they developed faster than Lagos? OOOO It's Lagos that using Oodua intelligence agency to infiltrate their government and installing illiterates in power.
Not necessary.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by aribisala0(m): 11:38pm On Jan 18, 2013
Eziachi:

If there is a law today that will force all mining companies to site all their corporate head offices in places where they get their findings- how many middle class families do think will mass exit from Lagos following this firms to go? They will go with their corporate and individual taxes with them. House prices will be significantly be reduced in and around Lagos. Do you know the pact that will have on Lagos economy?
If you take all the federal ministries and their subs that are still kept in Lagos, how much impact do you think it will have on Lagos both short and long terms? And fast forward, years after that, the impact will be very visible for the blind to see.

A city like Osogbo today, is it the same city it was before they made it a capital of a state? Probably prior to Osogbo becoming a capital, real state price there must be in pennies but today, it might have increased by 5000% just because of its present statu as a capital, and that is what made Lagos what it is till today. The former political/economic capital of Nigeria and today, still the economic capital of Nigeria till tomorrow.

The bitterness plenty sha. A law to FORCE companies too....oga WHY??
I do not think you thought that one through very well other than a motivation to hurt Lagos. Any way point of correction

Mining companies do not pay corporate taxes based on where they are headquartered that is UNTRUE. The staff who work there may but the firm pays based on operational location and activity and that is why IGR is so high in RIVERS. If I have a hotel in Aba will I refuse to pay tax because my headquarters are in Lagos??

Do you know any where in the world they have such laws??.
In Nigeria though I believe we would neet to change the constitution to make such laws.It sounds like an attempt to achieve Biafra through the backdoor?

Still waiting your response on Calabar??

1 Like

Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jan 18, 2013
Eziachi:

It's a matter of choice for the companies and there can never be any law to enact such. that will be infringing on the rights of the corporations. Another impossible if is what you have above.

If the oil companies want to relocate, let them do it. The oil companies were forced to come to Lagos even though it's more expensive to operate from Lagos.? Lagos provide a conducive environment for them that is why they are in Lagos not because they were told to do so.

Your if again na wash!!!! lol Eziachi u dey fall hand..

Many firms were moving from Lagos to Abuja before the UN bombing lol Lagos didn't advice or force them to stay?

It's a matter of logistics and cost for these companies. Why move to a troubled creek when they can fly helicopters from Lagos to the rig?
Bros Eziachi I for like if you fit list how many oil companies dey Lagos and how they are affecting Lagos economy. Because to me the only thing they need Lagos for is the port oo and the port money doesn't reach Lagos state account directly oo...

Tell how oil companies are helping Lagos internally generated revenue. Please do. Because from what I see, they are dealing with the FG and not LSG.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jan 18, 2013
Hardfact: Not necessary.

I know bros... I was trying to make the kettykin guy mad but afam4neva took the fall..
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by DaLover(m): 11:49pm On Jan 18, 2013
aribisala0:

I do not think you thought that one through very well other than a motivation to hurt Lagos. Any way point of correction

Mining companies do not pay corporate taxes based on where they are headquartered that is UNTRUE. The staff who work there may but the firm pays based on operational location and activity and that is why IGR is so high in RIVERS. If I have a hotel in Aba will I refuse to pay tax because my headquarters are in Lagos??

In Nigeria though I believe we would neet to change the constitution to make such laws.It sounds like an attempt to achieve Biafra through the backdoor?

Local content law, forcing companies to use Nigerian goods, have their engineering, management and recruitment companies in nigeria instead of abroad.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Eziachi: 11:51pm On Jan 18, 2013
aribisala0:

What bitterness? I am only giving you the hypothesis.
Why must everything to you guys be reduce to tribal issue or personal? How can I be bitter about Lagos? I love Lagos and I have personally and with my family, has real estate investment worth billions in Lagos since 1978. That doesn't means that I can't discuss issue about Lagos regarding fact of life.
If Lagos is been portioned as a cake today, I think your share to mine will be of no comapare. grin
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by aribisala0(m): 11:51pm On Jan 18, 2013
DaLover:
Local content law, forcing companies to use Nigerian goods, have their engineering, management and recruitment companies in nigeria instead of abroad.
what are you talking about ?
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by aribisala0(m): 11:53pm On Jan 18, 2013
Eziachi:
What bitterness? Why must everything to you guys be reduce to tribal issue or personal? How can I be bitter about Lagos? I love Lagos and I have personally and with my family, has real estate investment worth billions in Lagos since 1978. That doesn't means that I can't discuss issue about Lagos regarding fact of life.
If Lagos is been portioned as a cake today, I think your share to mine will be of no comapare. grin

Tribal?? What is tribal or personal?
Yu suggest a course of action for no obvious reason other that to hurt the fortunes of Lagos.That seems bitter to me but you say you love it and virtually own it but want to see house prices crash and people exodus .Ok

Maybe my "share is of no compare" Nairaland shall never find out.
It pleases God to give of his bounty to whom he will.May we all find contentment in our respective share of the "CAKE"

CALABAR

1 Like

Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by DaLover(m): 11:59pm On Jan 18, 2013
aribisala0:
I think any intelligent person can read between the line. The British were active participants and benefactors in the slave trade and have tried to rewrite history to say they stopped the trade. That of course is the subject of a more advanced discussion .Tate and Lyle and many other sugar related businesses were all built on the back of slaves.Our people say until the lions have their own story tellers it is the hunter that will tell the story of the hunt.The Bristish write that they colonized Lagos to stop the slave trade and you are dutifully echoing that. They can then tell your black brothers in America it was you own people selling you and we are the ones that stopped. Well leave that for another place.After stopping the slave trave why stay on for 70 years creating a country Hmm.

Back to Lagos. Wikipedia is not a totally useless source of information but certainly not a refernce point when there is an argument or dispute.
http://libsysdigi.library.illinois.edu/ilharvest/Africana/Books2011-05/3064634/3064634_1898_lagos/3064634_1898_lagos_opt.pdf

This link you have posted with states that rubber and palm oil were the main stay of the lagos economy....isn't it also British?
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Eziachi: 11:59pm On Jan 18, 2013
aribisala0:
Maybe It pleases God to give of his bounty to whom he will.May we all find contentment in our respective share of the "CAKE"

CALABAR
I agree with you that we will all find contentment in our respective share, but that should be on individual efforts chipped in. And for me, it wasn't a bounty from and God or gods. It came from a share hard work, effort, luck, self deprivation nice thing of life after re-starting from the scratch with 20 Nigerian £.

1 Like

Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by aribisala0(m): 12:01am On Jan 19, 2013
DaLover:

This link you have posted with states that rubber and palm oil were the main stay of the lagos economy....isn't it also British?
I suggest you get someone to read it and interpret it for you as you are obviously struggling
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by aribisala0(m): 12:02am On Jan 19, 2013
Eziachi:
I agree with you that we will all find contentment in our respective share, but that should be on individual efforts chipped in. And for me, it wasn't a bounty from and God or gods. It came from a share hard work, effort, luck, self deprivation nice thing of life after re-starting from the scratch with 20 Nigerian £.
"bounty from god" is an idiom and bears no religious connotation. Though I note you mention "LUCK"
Some work hard like you and achieve a lot others do not
Some do not work hard and also encounter wealth. Whatever the case they all die and some other person takes over.

Calabar? capital of Nigeria??
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Hardfact: 12:04am On Jan 19, 2013
0lumide:

I know bros... I was trying to make the kettykin guy mad but afam4neva took the fall..
Never mind bro.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Eziachi: 12:08am On Jan 19, 2013
0lumide:

I
Tell how oil companies are helping Lagos internally generated revenue. Please do. Because from what I see, they are dealing with the FG and not LSG.
This exactly my point, some of you say things you have no idea about, because if you have a business site, office or real estate investment in Lagos, you will not be making the above statement. Because I knew how much they take from me and family annually in tax.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Eziachi: 12:16am On Jan 19, 2013
aribisala0: "bounty from god" is an idiom and bears no religious connotation. Though I note you mention "LUCK"
Some work hard like you and achieve a lot others do not
Some do not work hard and also encounter wealth. Whatever the case they all die and some other person takes over.

Calabar? capital of Nigeria??
I am not dying yet, few more years to shift grin grin
Yes, ask your seniors and tell will tell you that before Lagos, Calabar was the capital Nigeria and the first place the British built their first educational institution in Nigeria (Hope Waddell College Institute)
The historic king of Atankpa (Calabar) King Archibong III - was the first king in the British West African to be crowned with regalia sent by Queen Victoria of England in 1878. fact grin

1 Like

Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by aribisala0(m): 12:23am On Jan 19, 2013
Eziachi:
I am not dying yet, few more years to shift grin grin
Yes, ask your seniors and tell will tell you that before Lagos, Calabar was the capital Nigeria and the first place the British built their first educational institution in Nigeria (Hope Waddell College Institute)
The historic king of Atankpa (Calabar) King Archibong III - was the first king in the British West African to be crowned with regalia sent by Queen Victoria of England in 1878. fact grin

Well how ever much wealth you build one day some other person will take over .Some other person with no idea how you bought or built a house will become the lord of the house
De we are not on the ilo so I won't let you get away with ask your seniors as even you were not born in 1914.
It is not true
and you are not too old to learn.

Calabar was NEVER the capital of Nigeria . Who was the second king to be crowned with Oyinbo regalia?
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Eziachi: 12:34am On Jan 19, 2013
aribisala0:

Well how ever much wealth you build one day some other person will take over .Some other person with no idea how you bought or built a house will become the lord of the house
De we are not on the ilo so I won't let you get away with ask your seniors as even you were not born in 1914.
It is not true
and you are not too old to learn.

Calabar was NEVER the capital of Nigeria .
Ok, lets just agree to disagree on this Calabar thing. Nice charting with you. I am signing off. Have a good evening.

1 Like

Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Hardfact: 12:37am On Jan 19, 2013
Akanbi_edu: The governor should be more circumspect in his utterances. People are emotional and those things matter more to them than performance in office. people naturally feel threatened by performers and may likely start looking for faults. El-rufai is better remembered for his arrogance than his good works in Abuja. Buhari is better remembered for his religion than his good works. Awolowo was equally called arrogant.....

Think this should be summary of the matter.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Nobody: 12:45am On Jan 19, 2013
Eziachi:
This exactly my point, some of you say things you have no idea about, because if you have a business site, office or real estate investment in Lagos, you will not be making the above statement. Because I knew how much they take from me and family annually in tax.

Are you that old school bros. I said you should explain to us how oil companies are helping Lagos internally generated revenue and you have the above..

Bros Eziachi.. i get enuff respect for you so I no go even tell you say na trap I bin dey try set.

The only way oil companies donate to Lagos account directly is the head quaters stationed in Lagos. Maybe their staffs pay taxes. I said maybe because I have not heard of people's salary having tax deductions lol..

Now I will like to know how the thing dey help.

now if they pay property taxes, how many of their properties are in Lagos apart from their head quarter buildings?

my bros, It is the Iya elewas, the abokis, the tejuosho marketers, the fish farmers, the farmers bring products from North, West, and middlebelt, the pharmacist, the spare part seller, the mechanic, the shoe maker, the taylor, the bus drivers etc All the petty traders in all the markets in Lagos. Those are the heartbeats of Lagos. Without those people, Lagos is nothing!!

Don't call oil companies. Whatever they bring to Lagos, they make more with market Lagos provides lol....

It's simple economics bros. Oil companies can not pay as much taxes as 20million people bros. They can't even pay half.. That is why Lagos was able to survive without allocation for 3 years bros..

Eko Oni Baje!

now I know you don't wanna debate that it's niger deltans and Igbos that own all the businesses in Lagos lol or even 50%.
Iya alasho, the timber trader, the agbero down to the hawker in hold up. Those are the true heart beats of Lagios economy not some oil company.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Nobody: 4:47am On Jan 19, 2013
The federal republic of nigeria is only a federation by name. I don't blame BRF for his ill advised utterances. It is because of endermic corruption & our systemic loopholes that resulted to his annoying statement.
Firstly, what resources does Lagos state have? Crude? Tin? Gold? Diamond? Coal? Bitumen? Natural gas? No. How about the most important of all, Human resources? While some people may want to credit the rationality of humans to migrate to regions where there chances of a better life could be increased to Lagos state, If Nigeria practiced Federalism, Lagos would be one of the less populous states in Nigeria. Then, the begging question would have been: What is it that could be found in Lagos that isn't found anywhere else in Nigeria?
Secondly, nigeria is structured for lagos. I read a comment above stating how about 3billion geberated annually from the sea ports could go a long way in sustaining Lagos w/o crude oil revenue & I laughed it off. Many nigerians are ignorant of this pretence called FRN. There are other sea ports in Nigeria but everything has to be cleared from Lagos before getting to the others. there are other international airports but how many are really 'international'?
Then the Oil companies, & other multinationals all have their HQs in Lagos for reasons I would rather consider obsolete. In revenue generated the IOCs contribute in large proportions to the internally generated revenue of Lagos state.
In conclusion, I'm pretty sure Lagos state is one of the states in fear of true federalism & 100% resource control. The governor is just playing on the ignorance of the people with silly regurgitations like these. Let's face it, let all sea ports & airports function as they would elsewhere in a federation & all companies move HQs in their sites of Derivation & annexes at the FCT, & we'll see which governors would be on the front row clamouring for FG revenue.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by Nobody: 5:08am On Jan 19, 2013
0lumide:

The only way oil companies donate to Lagos account directly is the head quaters stationed in Lagos. Maybe their staffs pay taxes. I said maybe because I have not heard of people's salary having tax deductions lol..

Now I will like to know how the thing dey help.

now if they pay property taxes, how many of their properties are in Lagos apart from their head quarter buildings?

my bros, It is the Iya elewas, the abokis, the tejuosho marketers, the fish farmers, the farmers bring products from North, West, and middlebelt, the pharmacist, the spare part seller, the mechanic, the shoe maker, the taylor, the bus drivers etc All the petty traders in all the markets in Lagos. Those are the heartbeats of Lagos. Without those people, Lagos is nothing!!

Don't call oil companies. Whatever they bring to Lagos, they make more with market Lagos provides lol....

It's simple economics bros. Oil companies can not pay as much taxes as 20million people bros. They can't even pay half.. That is why Lagos was able to survive without allocation for 3 years bros..

Eko Oni Baje!

Its because of people like you that BRF said & will continue to spew such rubbish. You not only showed ur abysmal level of ignorance by your contribution but also your level of political obscurity. How many nigerians pay taxes of the 160 million Yet Nigeria is still the richest in Africa.
'Oil companies cannot pay as much taxes as 20 million people' is the most stewpid thing someone with a computer/smartphone, an email adress & paid internet could ever say. Go watch CeeBees, cos this forum is not for you.
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by EkoIle1: 5:28am On Jan 19, 2013
_ebabyshaQ: The federal republic of nigeria is only a federation by name. I don't blame BRF for his ill advised utterances. It is because of endermic corruption & our systemic loopholes that resulted to his annoying statement.
Firstly, what resources does Lagos state have? Crude? Tin? Gold? Diamond? Coal? Bitumen? Natural gas? No. How about the most important of all, Human resources? While some people may want to credit the rationality of humans to migrate to regions where there chances of a better life could be increased to Lagos state, If Nigeria practiced Federalism, Lagos would be one of the less populous states in Nigeria. Then, the begging question would have been: What is it that could be found in Lagos that isn't found anywhere else in Nigeria?
Secondly, nigeria is structured for lagos. I read a comment above stating how about 3billion geberated annually from the sea ports could go a long way in sustaining Lagos w/o crude oil revenue & I laughed it off. Many nigerians are ignorant of this pretence called FRN. There are other sea ports in Nigeria but everything has to be cleared from Lagos before getting to the others. there are other international airports but how many are really 'international'?
Then the Oil companies, & other multinationals all have their HQs in Lagos for reasons I would rather consider obsolete. In revenue generated the IOCs contribute in large proportions to the internally generated revenue of Lagos state.
In conclusion, I'm pretty sure Lagos state is one of the states in fear of true federalism & 100% resource control. The governor is just playing on the ignorance of the people with silly regurgitations like these. Let's face it, let all sea ports & airports function as they would elsewhere in a federation & all companies move HQs in their sites of Derivation & annexes at the FCT, & we'll see which governors would be on the front row clamouring for FG revenue.

I'll answer the highlighted question in so many ways.

1. Industries. Lagos is responsible for a huge chunk of Nigeria's industrial output and this you can not find in any other state or move to any other state. These industrial estates that's still powering Lagos and Nigeria's economy were built by the western region government led by Awolowo with cocoa and rubber money before oil and independence. Other regions had the opportunity to do the same thing, but they didn't. It's all about leadership and vision.

2. Educated and skilled manpower

3. Safety and security. You can not pay any business outfit in Lagos state to relocate to any other state beyond the SW. Business is all about money, continuity, free flow of goods and services without security challenges and disruptions like violence, kidnapping and other social vices.

4. Economic policies and leadership qualities of the local government in terms of creating a good and serious atmosphere for business to thrive.

5. Infrastructure upgrade.

6. Lagos is the entertainment, cultural and leisure capital of West Africa and you can not relocate this to any other state in Nigeria.

There are so many ways to answer that question, but I'm sure you got the gist..
Re: Only Lagos Can Survive Without Oil – Fashola by EkoIle1: 5:48am On Jan 19, 2013
_babyshaQ:

Its because of people like you that BRF said & will continue to spew such rubbish. You not only showed ur abysmal level of ignorance by your contribution but also your level of political obscurity. How many nigerians pay taxes of the 160 million Yet Nigeria is still the richest in Africa.
'Oil companies cannot pay as much taxes as 20 million people' is the most stewpid thing someone with a computer/smartphone, an email adress & paid internet could ever say. Go watch CeeBees, cos this forum is not for you.

How are they paying more than any other business in Lagos state? The state is taxing their properties and employee wages just like any other business in Lagos state and Lagos state is not buying and selling crude oil, their business with them is the same with any other business in Lagos state. Property and payroll tax.

Do these oil companies have more properties than the banks in Lagos state with all their branches?

Do they have more taxpaying employees than bank employees in Lagos?

Do they have more properties than the hotels in Lagos or in Ikoyi/VI/Lekki axis alone and do they have more tax paying employees than all the hotels in Lagos?

Do they have more properties and tax paying employees than all the industries in all the industrial estates in Lagos and their employees?

It is really stupid to say oil companies pay property taxes on single HQs and their employees pay more taxes than the rest of tax paying Lagosians. It defies common sense and logic.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Yoruba Better Off During Regional Govt Says Western Governors. / Alleged Contempt: Saraki Concedes, Pays Omo-agege’s Entitlements / The Tinubu, Shekarau Lagos Meeting And Ganduje’s Fate In APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.