Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,666 members, 7,816,729 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine (9459 Views)

Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor / X / Traditional Medicine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Lakayana: 4:54pm On Jan 21, 2013
Check out doctors making incarnations consulting oracles before diagnosing. We should be ready to meet our new polished babalawos
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by mimifonwon(f): 4:54pm On Jan 21, 2013
i so agree with this, for western medicine no matter the developments -it cannot cure all the ailments in africa, for africa must learn to look inward to help itself advance to better nations, am proud of nigeria for this, if it is carried out right. The problem sometimes in naija is that we have good ideas but it is rarely carried out right. There are so many ailments that dibia's or native doctors know how to cure better. For example when am on my period, i drink 4oz onugbu( ewuro), ugba water, and nchawu boiled with 1teaspoon of salt added and i dont get cramps through my period, and it helps with stomach aches too, and if you boil mburogu with ayakata, fish head and aligator pepper and give to a woman who just gave birth it helps her heal faster. Also if you have high fever and you drink ewuro( first rinse) and oha water ( 1 full cup), your fever will go within an hour. ( crush akilu,akanwu( 1/5 tsp), palm oil(1tsp) and oji( kolanut and its fruit and orchard fruit and you drink it while studying it helps your memory and keeps you awake like hell depends on the amount you take. Its better than red bull. (my grandma-native doc makes them). It helped me through out college, and my brother who had what americans called add and my grandma was like, "rubbich, bringi him to nigeria and i will cure him" lol - my mom did as she said and my brother was definitely cured, his now a physicist and i guess it made him too focused. But what am trying to say is that most of our cures we need is in nature and our native doctors are better than most western doctors, and understands our body and nature better, its just ignorant and brainwash that makes us believe that western medicine is better than our native medicine. Yes there are things western medicine can offer that native cant, but its better if they work together. Btw my grandma is a healthy 98 year old woman, still farms and cooks her own meals and take care of herself without anyone's help. So I trust her native medical ways, and she has never been to a modern doctor or to a hospital( she hates western doctors).
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Symphony007: 4:55pm On Jan 21, 2013
This is beautifull..but it should'nt stop here. The government and private organisations too should fund reserch facilities and programs and who knows one day our internationally underated country will produce the cure for aids and be the medicine capital of the world.
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Tinablack: 5:08pm On Jan 21, 2013
REMMEI: I am not a medical student but i will like any medical students to voice their opinion about this new development..i hope this won't plus another year to their already seven years in school..we all read about what happened at IMSU few days back..I hope this won't make the medical students spend more extra years in school though..

Pls, wat hapnd inIMSU 2days 2 bk?
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by lifesabeach: 5:13pm On Jan 21, 2013
Pharmacists already know and study traditional medicine via pharmacognosy in School. Why the sudden interest? Doctors should involve and stop acting superior to registered pharmacists and learn from them

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Tolexander: 5:24pm On Jan 21, 2013
mimifonwon: i so agree with this, for western medicine no matter the developments -it cannot cure all the ailments in africa, for africa must learn to look inward to help itself advance to better nations, am proud of nigeria for this, if it is carried out right. The problem sometimes in naija is that we have good ideas but it is rarely carried out right. There are so many ailments that dibia's or native doctors know how to cure better. For example when am on my period, i drink 4oz onugbu( ewuro), ugba water, and nchawu boiled with 1teaspoon of salt added and i dont get cramps through my period, and it helps with stomach aches too, and if you boil mburogu with ayakata, fish head and aligator pepper and give to a woman who just gave birth it helps her heal faster. Also if you have high fever and you drink ewuro( first rinse) and oha water ( 1 full cup), your fever will go within an hour. ( crush akilu,akanwu( 1/5 tsp), palm oil(1tsp) and oji( kolanut and its fruit and orchard fruit and you drink it while studying it helps your memory and keeps you awake like hell depends on the amount you take. Its better than red bull. (my grandma-native doc makes them). It helped me through out college, and my brother who had what americans called add and my grandma was like, "rubbich, bringi him to nigeria and i will cure him" lol - my mom did as she said and my brother was definitely cured, his now a physicist and i guess it made him too focused. But what am trying to say is that most of our cures we need is in nature and our native doctors are better than most western doctors, and understands our body and nature better, its just ignorant and brainwash that makes us believe that western medicine is better than our native medicine. Yes there are things western medicine can offer that native cant, but its better if they work together. Btw my grandma is a healthy 98 year old woman, still farms and cooks her own meals and take care of herself without anyone's help. So I trust her native medical ways, and she has never been to a modern doctor or to a hospital( she hates western doctors).
i quite agree with you sister. But this traditional drugs need being upgraded considering the pharmakinetics of the drugs base on drug drug interaction. This drug are very potent but their should be academical research and study on their chemistry so that at the end of the day this drug wont do more harm than the therapeutic action they are meant to perform.
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Tolexander: 5:28pm On Jan 21, 2013
mimifonwon: i so agree with this, for western medicine no matter the developments -it cannot cure all the ailments in africa, for africa must learn to look inward to help itself advance to better nations, am proud of nigeria for this, if it is carried out right. The problem sometimes in naija is that we have good ideas but it is rarely carried out right. There are so many ailments that dibia's or native doctors know how to cure better. For example when am on my period, i drink 4oz onugbu( ewuro), ugba water, and nchawu boiled with 1teaspoon of salt added and i dont get cramps through my period, and it helps with stomach aches too, and if you boil mburogu with ayakata, fish head and aligator pepper and give to a woman who just gave birth it helps her heal faster. Also if you have high fever and you drink ewuro( first rinse) and oha water ( 1 full cup), your fever will go within an hour. ( crush akilu,akanwu( 1/5 tsp), palm oil(1tsp) and oji( kolanut and its fruit and orchard fruit and you drink it while studying it helps your memory and keeps you awake like hell depends on the amount you take. Its better than red bull. (my grandma-native doc makes them). It helped me through out college, and my brother who had what americans called add and my grandma was like, "rubbich, bringi him to nigeria and i will cure him" lol - my mom did as she said and my brother was definitely cured, his now a physicist and i guess it made him too focused. But what am trying to say is that most of our cures we need is in nature and our native doctors are better than most western doctors, and understands our body and nature better, its just ignorant and brainwash that makes us believe that western medicine is better than our native medicine. Yes there are things western medicine can offer that native cant, but its better if they work together. Btw my grandma is a healthy 98 year old woman, still farms and cooks her own meals and take care of herself without anyone's help. So I trust her native medical ways, and she has never been to a modern doctor or to a hospital( she hates western doctors).
i quite agree with you sister. But these traditional drugs need being upgraded considering the pharmakinetics of the drugs base on drug drug interactions. These drugs are very potent but there should be academical research and study on their chemistry so that at the end of the day this drug wont do more harm than the therapeutic action they are meant to perform.
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jan 21, 2013

Lol, mimifonwon the herbalist!
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by mimifonwon(f): 5:50pm On Jan 21, 2013
Richfella:

Lol, mimifonwon the herbalist!

lol i know some stuff, lol, I plan to do my phd in three years on how native herbs and medicine can change the face of modern medicine- i have been collecting data and i have been taking notes from my grandmother since i was 18tn, now 24, got 4 journals full, but again i havent done the actual chemical breakdown of each potion she makes, but i know they work, and right now i dont have the time, but hopefully when i get married and start having kids i can convince my husband to sponsor my research ( financially) and by letting me stay at home ( naija) for 5yrs with our kids while he stays abroad. smiley . If nigeria had better research facilities, and with the kind of talent there is there, naija could be the cure haven for ailments.
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jan 21, 2013
Namiad:
free advice;dnt let illetracy riun ur life..

tongue
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 21, 2013
Thank God i av graduated frm medicine bfr he said dis. Cant imagine studying herbals- d same thing dat damages ma patients kidneys and liver. Plus increasd workload i could have had.
D chemical composition of dose tnz arent defined yet, so d dosages are to b anoda prob. So, till all dese are solved, i dont lyk d idea of hebal medicne.
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Josh316(m): 7:40pm On Jan 21, 2013
Laalamed:
in developed countries there are schools and college that offer courses in alternative medicine.they have the title ND in front of their names.
Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine
(ND or in Arizona "Naturopathic
Medical Doctor" or NMD ), in 16 U.S.
states and six Canadian provinces
refers exclusively to a medical degree
granted by an accredited naturopathic
medical school .[1] While these
degrees may be held by people
outside of these states and provinces,
in most other jurisdictions, the terms
are unprotected and may be used by
anyone, regardless of educational
level. Practitioners who hold such a
degree may also legally use the title
'doctor' in certain jurisdictions, but
not in others. Equivalent professional
titles may be reserved for ND/NMDs in
other jurisdictions (Naturopathic
Doctor, Naturopathic Physician,
Naturopath), or there may be no
legally protected title. This article
discusses the accredited North
American degree.
Those holding the accredited North
America degrees generally practice as
primary care providers of
naturopathic medicine. Naturopathic
medicine employs complementary
and alternative medical therapies
within the context of mainstream
medicine, which claim to help
improve the body's intrinsic ability to
heal and maintain itself. [2]
Practitioners of naturopathic medicine
prefer to use natural remedies such
as botanical tinctures/medicinal herbs
and foods rather than synthetic drugs.
Naturopathic medical practice includes
many different modalities.
Practitioners emphasize a holistic
approach to patient care, and may
recommend that patients use
conventional medicine . en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Naturopathic_Medicine

grin grin ND..... Native Doctor for short cheesy
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by solinho(m): 7:41pm On Jan 21, 2013
Like the yoruba adage: tiwa n tiwa. We should uphold our own culture
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by iammodel(m): 8:05pm On Jan 21, 2013
Datz what we botanists call "phytomedicine". A herbal medicine cured me of typhoid, i mean completely when cyprotal and ammoxicillin culdn't for months.
Good move. "All flesh is grass".
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jan 21, 2013
i_am_model: Datz what we botanists call "phytomedicine". A herbal medicine cured me of typhoid, i mean completely when cyprotal and ammoxicillin culdn't for months.
Good move. "All flesh is grass".

Thank u my brother.
When am sick, I go to hospital (because I have medical insurance), but most times, the drugs don't cure me. I end up taking herbs.
Nothing cures malaria like dogonyaro.

Our ancestors lived longer cos they were nt taking chemicals dt we call drugs. Chinese and indians are getting ahead in nature. They have tea for everything and a lot of them are very effective.
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by mimifonwon(f): 9:12pm On Jan 21, 2013
ngozievergreen: Thank God i av graduated frm medicine bfr he said dis. Cant imagine studying herbals- d same thing dat damages ma patients kidneys and liver. Plus increasd workload i could have had.
D chemical composition of dose tnz arent defined yet, so d dosages are to b anoda prob. So, till all dese are solved, i dont lyk d idea of hebal medicne.

that is why they should have actual practicing herbalist as consultants.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by mimifonwon(f): 9:15pm On Jan 21, 2013
mercylicious:

Thank u my brother.
When am sick, I go to hospital (because I have medical insurance), but most times, the drugs don't cure me. I end up taking herbs.
Nothing cures malaria like dogonyaro.

Our ancestors lived longer cos they were nt taking chemicals dt we call drugs. Chinese and indians are getting ahead in nature. They have tea for everything and a lot of them are very effective.

yes achara tea( a specie of tiger grass only found in west africa) is a better in caffine and anti-oxidant than green teas... so people can begin big businesses ooo if they really think about it.
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by danikik7: 10:30pm On Jan 21, 2013
BRAVO !!! Kudos to the Healh Ministry for this laudable initiative.How long shall we watch India and Chinese come to Nigeria to study herbal tress and plants here only to go produce same thing and sell them back to us for profiteering.
Next step,sanitization of hospitals like the Banking industry.More of that in the near future.
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jan 21, 2013
Great development.
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Yeske2(m): 11:22pm On Jan 21, 2013
No mixture abeg, western medicine and trad can't go together. The minister should be told this in clear terms.
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Nobody: 2:54am On Jan 22, 2013
lets not forget, even the chinese people have their own traditional medicine.. its been proven times and times over that traditional medicine works wonders.... AND I WILL BE GLAD TO SEE NIGERIA EXPORT NATIVE DOCTORS TO OTHER PARTS OF THE WORLD..
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Ndipe(m): 5:37am On Jan 22, 2013
As long as it doesnt involve incantations, I am ok with it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Toppiano(m): 4:11pm On Jan 22, 2013
Let them include incantations abeg grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Omofranca(f): 1:58am On Jan 23, 2013
Very welcome development. There are actually savvy orthodox doctors who sometimes prescribe herbal treatments because they do work.
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Ndipe(m): 4:06am On Jan 23, 2013
It's long overdue. In America, chinese medicines like acupuncture and herbs are making inroads even in hospitals and are covered by insurance. See chinese stores brazenly selling herbs and people and magazines touting the efficacy of these herbs. Truth is that our people are so ashamed of our culture like african herbs, that they would rather ignore it's potency and focus on western medicines. The drawback (or what I am totally against) is the use of incantations, otherwise, I am all for it. Infact, studies should be conducted on the efficacy of traditional medicines. Our forefathers relied on it and rarely got sick. Why should we abandon it now?
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by grailife(m): 10:14am On Dec 09, 2015
mimifonwon:
i so agree with this, for western medicine no matter the developments -it cannot cure all the ailments in africa, for africa must learn to look inward to help itself advance to better nations, am proud of nigeria for this, if it is carried out right. The problem sometimes in naija is that we have good ideas but it is rarely carried out right. There are so many ailments that dibia's or native doctors know how to cure better. For example when am on my period, i drink 4oz onugbu( ewuro), ugba water, and nchawu boiled with 1teaspoon of salt added and i dont get cramps through my period, and it helps with stomach aches too, and if you boil mburogu with ayakata, fish head and aligator pepper and give to a woman who just gave birth it helps her heal faster. Also if you have high fever and you drink ewuro( first rinse) and oha water ( 1 full cup), your fever will go within an hour. ( crush akilu,akanwu( 1/5 tsp), palm oil(1tsp) and oji( kolanut and its fruit and orchard fruit and you drink it while studying it helps your memory and keeps you awake like hell depends on the amount you take. Its better than red bull. (my grandma-native doc makes them). It helped me through out college, and my brother who had what americans called add and my grandma was like, "rubbich, bringi him to nigeria and i will cure him" lol - my mom did as she said and my brother was definitely cured, his now a physicist and i guess it made him too focused. But what am trying to say is that most of our cures we need is in nature and our native doctors are better than most western doctors, and understands our body and nature better, its just ignorant and brainwash that makes us believe that western medicine is better than our native medicine. Yes there are things western medicine can offer that native cant, but its better if they work together. Btw my grandma is a healthy 98 year old woman, still farms and cooks her own meals and take care of herself without anyone's help. So I trust her native medical ways, and she has never been to a modern doctor or to a hospital( she hates western doctors).
your right, God made cures for all diesease available in nature, the scientist are yet to discover them

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste / Abortion Kills 34,000 Women In Nigeria Every Year / Whitening Body Scrubs And Body Mask

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.