Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,135 members, 7,818,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe (1879 Views)

Reflections On Islam Yesterday, Today And Tomorrow / Reflections On New Year / Reflections On Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by cyrexx: 2:54pm On Jan 20, 2013

7 Likes

Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by k2039: 3:08pm On Jan 20, 2013
okay.
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by cyrexx: 3:17pm On Jan 20, 2013
k2039: okay.
cool
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by TerryCarr(m): 3:21pm On Jan 20, 2013
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by cyrexx: 7:01pm On Jan 20, 2013
TerryCarr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g

that is why Carl Sagan will forever remain a science legend.

Nice contribution and thanks, bro

1 Like

Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by truthislight: 7:15pm On Jan 20, 2013
cyrexx: cool

well, some larger than life people that knows all there is about the univers and can vehemently make some absolute claim about the univers. >>>> ma man cyrexx.

Big boy!

TerryCarr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by cyrexx: 7:20pm On Jan 20, 2013
truthislight:

well, some larger than life people that knows all there is about the univers and can vehemently make some absolute claim about the univers. >>>> ma man cyrexx.

Big boy!

greetings to you, ma main man Truthislight,

dont you just love science and their wonderful discoveries cool
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by thehomer: 7:51pm On Jan 20, 2013
For me, this quote brings it into perspective.

Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by truthislight: 8:18pm On Jan 20, 2013
thehomer: For me, this quote brings it into perspective.

Hmmm!, if only we really know how small we are.
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by ooman(m): 11:48am On Feb 23, 2013
this is science
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by cyrexx: 11:56am On Feb 23, 2013
ooman: this is science

Thanks, man

Unfortunately, religious mind does not appreciate or promote scientific facts, especially the ones that goes against their religious superstitious beliefs.
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by ooman(m): 12:00pm On Feb 23, 2013
cyrexx:

Thanks, man

Unfortunately, religious mind does not appreciate or promote scientific facts, especially the ones that goes against their religious superstitious beliefs.

the religious must be neglected when it comes to logic and rationality.
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by Areaboy2(m): 2:54pm On Feb 23, 2013
lol.. its kinda funny how they snuck in a picture of Carl Sagan. Who can resist the urge to do so? grin

Being crazy of astronomy myself, I find the need for a supreme being diminishing the further we go away from our tiny rock called earth.

If our solar system suddenly exploded today, our milkyway will not even flinch much more the Universe. I do hope people can save up a little and buy a small telescope.You'll expose yourself to immense possibility you never even imagined.

Oh and why is Alpha centauri looking a bit further away than Tau ceti? the latter is three times further away than Centauri if i remember right tongue

Edit: On a second look, the interstellar space map is not to scale but still holds the general idea.. Nice one grin
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by wirinet(m): 3:09pm On Feb 23, 2013
Carl Sagan was my number one mentor. His Tv series "the cosmos" had a profound influence on my life. It got me interested in science and the universe we live in. He explained the universe like you teach ABC to a child. I am eternally grateful to him. I wish the cosmos series can be brought back to our TV so that the youth can begin to have a glimpse of what our universe looks like. My favourite of the series is the one called encyclopedia galactic, in which Carl sagan took us on a tour of the universe.
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by tpia1: 3:44pm On Feb 23, 2013
O Lord, our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.

3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;

4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

ps 8

1 Like

Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by tpia1: 3:45pm On Feb 23, 2013
baba ku ise
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by plaetton: 3:53pm On Feb 23, 2013
wirinet: Carl Sagan was my number one mentor. His Tv series "the cosmos" had a profound influence on my life. It got me interested in science and the universe we live in. He explained the universe like you teach ABC to a child. I am eternally grateful to him. I wish the cosmos series can be brought back to our TV so that the youth can begin to have a glimpse of what our universe looks like. My favourite of the series is the one called encyclopedia galactic, in which Carl sagan took us on a tour of the universe.

Yeah.
Me too. I used to have heavenly feelings just watching that program when I was Young.
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by plaetton: 3:58pm On Feb 23, 2013
I wonder where we can find heaven, and perhaps ,hell, on this grid.
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by cyrexx: 4:05pm On Feb 23, 2013
@tpia,

You mind telling us exactly what the quoted bible verses meant by the word "heavens"
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by wiegraf: 4:07pm On Feb 23, 2013
Iirc, oga degrassi tyson is hosting a reset of the cosmos series. Sagan's widow is involved, she was involved in the first one as well. Etc etc. Something to look forward to
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by ooman(m): 4:15pm On Feb 23, 2013
SEE THE WORLD LIKE AN ATHEIST
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by wirinet(m): 8:19pm On Feb 23, 2013
wiegraf: Iirc, oga degrassi tyson is hosting a reset of the cosmos series. Sagan's widow is involved, she was involved in the first one as well. Etc etc. Something to look forward to

please keep me posted. I would like to have the series in a digital format, i would want to be able to show them to my children when they begin to ask the existential questions.
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by truthislight: 10:14pm On Feb 23, 2013
cyrexx: @tpia,

You mind telling us exactly what the quoted bible verses meant by the word "heavens"

cool
*smh*
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by mantraa: 10:29pm On Feb 23, 2013
Science saved my soul. Enjoy grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6w2M50_Xdk
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by ooman4: 11:21pm On Feb 23, 2013
mantraa: Science saved my soul. Enjoy grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6w2M50_Xdk

I ALWAYS LOVE YOUR VIDEOS
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by tpia1: 1:49am On Feb 24, 2013
cyrexx: @tpia,

yes, i do mind as a matter of fact.
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by tpia1: 1:51am On Feb 24, 2013
ps 19

The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.

4 Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.

In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.

6 It rises at one end of the heavens

and makes its circuit to the other;
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by cyrexx: 5:19am On Feb 24, 2013
Hmmm, interesting,

"God pitched a TENT for the sun"

"He makes the sun RISES and make circuit ROUND the earth"

"voices go out to the ENDS of the earth "

And these are the imaginations and the words of a biblical prophet known as David who obviously knows a lot about our universe cos he was inspired by the so-called creator of the universe .

This is really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

So please tell me again how the Iron Age Mysticism in your Holy Book tells us everything we need to know. I 'll be over here watching as science reveals much more than your prophets could have imagined
-Carl Sagan
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by mazaje(m): 9:21am On Feb 24, 2013
cyrexx: Hmmm, interesting,

"God pitched a TENT for the sun"

"He makes the sun RISES and make circuit ROUND the earth"

"voices go out to the ENDS of the earth "

And these are the imaginations and the words of a biblical prophet known as David who obviously knows a lot about our universe cos he was inspired by the so-called creator of the universe .

This is really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

So please tell me again how the Iron Age Mysticism in your Holy Book tells us everything we need to know. I 'll be over here watching as science reveals much more than your prophets could have imagined
-Carl Sagan

LOL!!!! No be small thing. . .
Re: Reflections On Our Gigantic Universe by wiegraf: 10:37am On Feb 24, 2013
wirinet:

please keep me posted. I would like to have the series in a digital format, i would want to be able to show them to my children when they begin to ask the existential questions.

Will do. He shows up on reddit from time to time. Iirc he discusses the show and other things here (including his meeting with sagan) here

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/qccer/i_am_neil_degrasse_tyson_ask_me_anything/

(1) (Reply)

No Rapture,no End Time, Pls Enjoy Your Lives / How To Pray And Receive Answers. / The God Of Old Testament And That Of New Testament Cannot Be The Same

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.