Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,105 members, 7,814,881 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:52 PM

Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers (2933 Views)

What Are The Benefits Of Giving Birth In The USA. / Amazing Benefits Of Using Shea Butter As Your Baby Or Family Cream / What Are The Benefits And The Challenges Of Being The First Or Last Born. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by ekaromail: 10:37pm On Jan 21, 2013
Over the years, technology had brought in new inventions that have helped save us a lot of stress in the way we go about doing things. Some are for the best while others are just there to take our money and give us lousy results. One of such is the diapers we use for our babies today. We have different brands of diapers but today, we will be looking at cloth diapers. Cloth diapers are not the same thing they used to be years ago when our mothers used it for us. They get to wrap the baby in it then use pins to hold it together. No that's not what the latest cloth diapers are like and from what I have seen, Cloth diaper is the best to use for babies and if you choose to make use of it, it will be the best decision you've made for your baby.
I have observed of people's experiences and I can boldly say that cloth diapers have great advantages over disposable diapers.

The Advantages of Using Cloth Diapers:

Baby's Skin Care: Cloth diapers, unlike disposable diapers can be washed and used again. In fact, it can be used for a very long time. How does washing it care for the baby's skin? When using cloth diapers, you find that you have to change it more often than when you use disposable diapers. Since you have to change diapers much more often, the baby would spend less time in it and so therefore, is less likely to get diaper rash. Having a diaper socked with urine staying close to the baby's skin for a long time is not a good thing. Why? Because urine can be acidy and therefore more likely to burn the baby's skin. Also, disposable diapers contain toxic chemicals which can cause skin diseases, genetic disorders and even cancer. The chance of them harming your child is less but, it is better not to risk it. Remember that your child's health must have upper most priority. Using cloth diaper will help keep your baby rash free and comfortable.

Affordable: Cloth diapers, unlike disposable diapers are cheap. All you have to do after using them once is to wash clean and keep. Disposable diapers can only used once before they are thrown away. This means that you have to constantly spend money every day or week as the case may be just to make sure you don't run out of stock. For example I bought disposable diapers for my baby at the cost of $45 per pack. After the first week, I run out of stock and go again to buy some more for another $45 and this repeats itself the upper week. So far, I would have spent $135 in two weeks. But if I buy a pack of cloth diapers for $60 -$70, I would not need to go back for more because I can re-use it after washing. My final statement here is that the price of cloth diaper may seem high at first but, consider the amount of money you get to save than when you use disposable diapers.

Multiple Functions: Unlike disposable diapers that have only one use, cloth diaper can be multipurpose. Even when the baby isn’t excreting or urinating on himself anymore, they can still were it around the house to play. All you have to do is make sure they are clean.

Toxic Waste: So many mothers make use of disposable diapers year in year out and since it is something that has to be bought and used all the time, the number of used disposable diapers is really high. Now calculate the ones used in one household and multiply it by the number used by billions of mothers out there. The result is terrifically high isn't it? Now, go checkout the landfills and you will see that these used diapers containing feces and urine are thrown in there every year and because they don't biodegrade, they become hazardous waste just sitting there, full of bacteria and contaminating the environment. Cloth diapers are used and kept and as such, it is termed earth friendly.
Cloth diapers are very good and friendly to use, you only need have the time and willingness to keep the diapers clean. In so doing you will be helping the environment, saving cash and most importantly ensuring your child's health is not at risk. If you are scared of leakage, buy the tight fitting ones and you will have nothing to worry about.

http://theghostwritingblog..com/2013/01/cloth-diapers.html
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by Nobody: 12:04am On Jan 22, 2013
Wow! I love this.
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by baby124: 12:12am On Jan 22, 2013
Story that tickles... tongue
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by greatgod2012(f): 12:54am On Jan 22, 2013
Let me tell you d truth...........washing baby's poo with mere hand is not easy and healthy either.........disposable diapers all d way.......
Also, to me, apart frm d cost, i mean d price difference, other reasons stated there have question marks........

Call me lazy a§§, i dont mind,all i know is dt, i cant come back from my busy place of work, headed straight to d kitchen and still be thinking of washing nappies filled with poo, when there is a better alternative.......hell no!

Affordability is d KOKO.......if one cant afford d disposable diaper, then, no choice, but for those who can afford, leave story.
May God help us all.

2 Likes

Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by Nobody: 1:04am On Jan 22, 2013
^^^AMEN!!!
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by Nobody: 5:07am On Jan 22, 2013
greatgod2012: Let me tell you d truth...........washing baby's poo with mere hand is not easy and healthy either.........disposable diapers all d way.......
Also, to me, apart frm d cost, i mean d price difference, other reasons stated there have question marks........

Call me lazy a§§, i dont mind,all i know is dt, i cant come back from my busy place of work, headed straight to d kitchen and still be thinking of washing nappies filled with poo, when there is a better alternative.......hell no!

Affordability is d KOKO.......if one cant afford d disposable diaper, then, no choice, but for those who can afford, leave story.
May God help us all.
Did they use disposable diapers on you? As far as I'm concerned that thing is a modern day invention to suck out cash from you and it's not even in any way healthier except you're willing to change it each time your baby poos which is highly unrealistic. And about touching or washing away your babie's poo, please save me that crap. Even oyinbo's clean after thir dog's poo talk less of a baby.

I mean I only knew about disposable diapers not long ago. All I ever knew was cloth diapers. For crying out loud, that thingy add a whole lot to the waste our environment generates and unfortunately we don't do a lot of recycling here.

1 Like

Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by Gambrosia: 5:10am On Jan 22, 2013
Absolutely NOT!!! kiss
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by Nobody: 5:17am On Jan 22, 2013
Gambrosia: Absolutely NOT!!! kiss
I'm very sure they used a cloth diaper on you and that don't make your babies butt look any finer. smiley
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by Gambrosia: 5:23am On Jan 22, 2013
Brand_new: I'm very sure they used a cloth diaper on you and that don't make your babies butt look any finer. smiley

I think you missed the 'sanitary' angle.
I don't like to play with shyte. . .including INFANTS'. . . No matter how CUTE they may be!
They were use on me. . . yes! In the absence of nothing better THEN.
In Nigeria of all places for starters. . .no water, no electricity. . .NO SEWER? shocked
NO. . .Thank ya! kiss
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by Nobody: 5:36am On Jan 22, 2013
Changing disposable diapers can also get messy and having a sewage system doesn't make it a better experience.
Me I just don't buy that disposable shyte 100% cuz it makes no difference to me. Infact, olden days babies enjoyed cleaner sanitation when compared to todays babies. Cloth diapers get changed instantly while disposable diapers manufacturers lie to us that their products lasts 10hrs Straight, then babies start to develop som absurd rashes which I never saw on olden days babies.

1 Like

Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by ekaromail: 5:47am On Jan 22, 2013
Hey! am not a fan of baby's poo either but if u give reason a chance, you get to understand that the baby' health is more important. even if you decide to ignor the fact that it helps save cash, pls don't ignor the other casualties.
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by ekaromail: 5:56am On Jan 22, 2013
And by d way, its not fun walking down d street only to come in contact with a disposable diaper full of sh*t. most mothers just throw d thing anywhere they deem fit not caring who sees it or steps on it. pls help d environment and help ur child.
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by Gambrosia: 8:39pm On Jan 22, 2013
Abeg, nothing causes more rashes than too much pee and poo! Or chronic antibiotic therapy with ACIDIC DIARRHEA. Not to mention HEAT AND FILTH!!!! Don't blame the diapers ALONE. Babies have sensitive skin PERIOD! kiss All you can do is treat their skin EFFECTIVELY by maintaining good hygiene and keeping them changed and DRY. kiss
The same reason why the elderly are prone to skin break-downs in during their incontinent stages.

Make we hia WORD!!! This nor be FORENSIC SCIENCE!!!

Haba. grin
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by Gambrosia: 8:53pm On Jan 22, 2013
greatgod2012: Let me tell you d truth...........washing baby's poo with mere hand is not easy and healthy either.........disposable diapers all d way.......

May God help us all.

Amiiiiiiiin ooooooooh!!!!! kiss
I reeeeeeally love your posts!!!
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by greatgod2012(f): 9:11pm On Jan 22, 2013
Gambrosia:

Amiiiiiiiin ooooooooh!!!!! kiss
I reeeeeeally love your posts!!!

thank you ma!
Sincerely, i have really fall in love with your posts in recent times...........
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jan 22, 2013
@OP
eeehhh your cloth diaper,does it come with its own washing and drying machine?If yes,where can I get them

Abeg cut us some slack,must we punish ourselves with everything??well,am sure no mum will heed to this anyway***off to stock up on disposable diapers***
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by heavensown: 12:12am On Jan 23, 2013

May God help us all.

You have said it all jare. Frequent changing, be it cloth or disposable is what keeps a baby's bum fresh and rash free. None is better that the other. Besides, is the mother's hygiene not important too? You can imagine going to feed your baby after soaking your hands in a bucket of poo. Is that not also a health risk to the baby? Like greatgod said, as long as you can afford disposable diapers to change as often as necessary, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

Brand_new:
Did they use disposable diapers on you? As far as I'm concerned that thing is a modern day invention to suck out cash from you and it's not even in any way healthier except you're willing to change it each time your baby poos which is highly unrealistic. And about touching or washing away your babie's poo, please save me that crap. Even oyinbo's clean after thir dog's poo talk less of a baby.

I mean I only knew about disposable diapers not long ago. All I ever knew was cloth diapers. For crying out loud, that thingy add a whole lot to the waste our environment generates and unfortunately we don't do a lot of recycling here.

It is very realistic my dear. I change everytime my baby poos and other mothers that I know do so as well. wink
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by Nobody: 1:58am On Jan 23, 2013
Pack of diapers 115 ( $40) and at most use 5 day .

115/5= 23days

Cloth diapers constant laundry .; power bill $500 , more laundry soap ( Tide) and fabric softener( Downy) = $60
Water bill to run the laundry ; $150...

With disposable diapers .. Laundry soap & softener $30 and water bill $100 & power $400.. See savings !

Cloth diaper recyclable system( provided you don't want to wash yourself) ; $50/week

Everything adds up OP
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by greatgod2012(f): 1:11pm On Feb 14, 2013
jidegirl12: Pack of diapers 115 ( $40) and at most use 5 day .

115/5= 23days

Cloth diapers constant laundry .; power bill $500 , more laundry soap ( Tide) and fabric softener( Downy) = $60
Water bill to run the laundry ; $150...

With disposable diapers .. Laundry soap & softener $30 and water bill $100 & power $400.. See savings !

Cloth diaper recyclable system( provided you don't want to wash yourself) ; $50/week

Everything adds up OP

you must be very good in calculations, see how you break everything down......abeg.......disposable diapers all d way jare.....infact, i just bought a pack now.
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by feminineA: 6:13pm On Feb 14, 2013
Its disposable o! I can't shout. Today alone my baby poo ed 3 times. Will I now say because I want to be economical I should wash nappy 3 times?its not that easy sis. So many things are taking man's time. Disposable diapers are just for max 2years. Will refer to invest in that.
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by Nobody: 6:30pm On Feb 14, 2013
We use disposables. I can't imagine using terry diapers in this day and age. Disposables are just so much more convenient, not just financially, but ease of use, and baby comfort. Terry diapers can be pretty abrasive against a baby's delicate skin.
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by Nobody: 7:06pm On Feb 14, 2013
Siena: We use disposables. I can't imagine using terry diapers in this day and age. Disposables are just so much more convenient, not just financially, but ease of use, and baby comfort. Terry diapers can be pretty abrasive against a baby's delicate skin.

Oh they make the very soft, very pretty cloth diapers these days. They have snap or Velcro closure, no need for safety pin or that other thing that attaches them. They even have disposable linings that can be put inside to keep you from having to scrape up poop. The cloth diaper technology is quite fancy these days. They are also pretty expensive up front but I think the savings eventually come.

Cloth diapers is what the majority of these funky, organic, environmentalist parents use these days. Lol. I was this close to buying them but laziness no gree me.

2 Likes

Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by Onegai(f): 5:05pm On Dec 26, 2014
Bumping this thread up...

I think we should revisit this. I'm someone who is gradually switching over to an healthier, organic lifestyle (my 65 year old mother NEVER goes to the hospital, is more active than me and avoids a lot of "modern" nonsense). I make my own body lotion (had to watch several of my family and friends and myself struggle with all sorts of allergies) and some other additions to our lifestyle.

I've been reading about clothe diapers recently and I'd like to give it a try. I mean, I was already planning on having a washing machine (no need for dryer, with naija sun wink , so why not take this affordable option. I really won't see myself washing by hand (SO already uses a laundromat as a single man, he will just beat me if he sees me hand-washing industriously grin). I really don't feel comfy getting a housemaid to wash these things, I've had FAR too much experience watching how maids and nannies in Nigeria don't really like their jobs and will squeeze face and pinch the baby, and they were not even washing diaper o, that was regular disposable changing (some, once the Mum wasn't at home, ignored the baby's dirty diaper for hours).

I spoke to a new mama yesterday and she told me N10,000 per month for diapers alone and that price will go up, now that our money has been devalued (I'm sorry, I used made-in-naija SP, I cannot EVEN consider made-in-naija diaper with the experience I had! When we reach that manufacturing level, I will retry...)

With the current dollar rate, disposables like Huggies are N120,000 per year minimum (without factoring whether the baby is a heavy wetter or not). Meanwhile, something like Rumparooz clothe diapers will be like N149,000 for 3 years and can be reused by a second child if cared for properly.

I've got Pediatricians in my family and one thing they complain about is all sorts of new infections babies are coming up with. A consultant (elderly) one said when he first started at LUTH in the 1980s, Nigerian kids were healthier. Now, he's removing even Warts off baby bums).

This site really broke things down for me.

http://www.babygearlab.com/Cloth-Diaper-Reviews

So, anyone care to revisit this subject? Let's see how we can make it work in Nigeria (washing machine choice, water, liner or not, what type pf detergent because I hate Persil, colours, inserts, etc).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by anonimi: 5:26pm On Dec 26, 2014
I'm not REALLY concerned by the topic but think it is a great idea. I try to live healthy and as environmentally conscious as possible. It may SEEM expensive at first but the OVERALL cost, in the medium/long term, to the individual & society is usually less when you factor in so many other qualitative issues and costs that may appear unrelated to the particular decision/issue at stake.

In this particular case, Onegai has provided some of those seemingly unrelated issues that have a cost for the individual & society at large.
Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by Topshop: 6:07pm On Jan 10, 2015
Compliments of the the season to all able nairalanders.

Now is the time to start the year with an easy business that will settle you this year.

Order you baby daipers from Topshop and you'll not regret ever making the contact.

We sell wholesale on all Imported daipers from UK.

Toujours, Mamia, Huggies wipes, Tesco, Boots, little angel and Sainsbury.

Contact us nowwwwwwwwwww.

topshopireland@gmail.com
BB: 58AAA0CE
Re: Cloth Diapers: The Benefits Of Using Cloth Diapers by Shoutmeloud: 6:42pm On Jul 28, 2023
These are exactly what I was looking for. It's nearly as absorbent as a cloth diapers. The quilted cotton liner sewn inside is soft and not at all bothersome at the seams. These trainers are just what a parent in the early stages of potty training needs.

(1) (Reply)

Gender Stereotypes Part II / 7 Annoying Things Not To Do When Your Husband Is Cheating / Parent When Your Child Displays This On Social Media(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.