Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,399 members, 7,822,839 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri (10326 Views)

A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jan 22, 2013
berem: Am sure the yorubas around you must have taken offence. tongue

There were no Yorubas there
It was just the delegates eating lunch
But the Ofe had a lot of nmanu,what else should it be called
Is it not an ofenmanu?

Isn't that the proper description of the soup I just talked about?
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by tpia5: 6:50pm On Jan 22, 2013
babyosisi:

I hope I didn't give that impression
No it didn't start with my generation

Are you at war with some sections of the country, or what's your reason for the thread.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Odunnu: 6:51pm On Jan 22, 2013
babyosisi:

I know we are just making light humor,no name calling is Ok
aboki as innocent as it is has a connotation of " stupid" when used to describe a Hausa person in some contexts
Call me Aboki anytime, anyday. I know its meaning and do not mind
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by chosen04(f): 6:52pm On Jan 22, 2013
babyosisi: Speaking of ajaokutamumi and ofennmanu

I was organizing lunch for my village convention here in the USA and contacted a caterer to get the food
She is an excellent cook I have eaten her jollof and chicken and moi moi and co before but not soups
I also added okro and egusi soup and did not warn her to make it easy on the oil
Come lunch time,the food arrived and the soups were very very oily,had layers of oil on top
My husband's loud mouthed cousin walked in and shouted babyosisi what is this? ( O gini bu ihe a)
This one you are serving us ofenmanu?
grin grin grin
It was very funny,people were rolling in laughter

ROTFLMAAOBPO
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jan 22, 2013
Odunnu:
Call me Aboki anytime, anyday. I know its meaning and do not mind

Abokiress
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Afam4eva(m): 6:52pm On Jan 22, 2013
For some reason, i hate being called OKORO.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Odunnu: 6:54pm On Jan 22, 2013
babyosisi:

Abokiress
grin just dont stab me from behind. tongue
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by chosen04(f): 6:56pm On Jan 22, 2013
Odunnu:
I am hausa and I am saying there isnt anything derogatory.

Nnaa, abeg chill jare....
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jan 22, 2013
babyosisi:

There were no Yorubas there
It was just the delegates eating lunch
But the Ofe had a lot of nmanu,what else should it be called
Is it not an ofenmanu?

Isn't that the proper description of the soup I just talked about?
of course wetin you wan call am before? I prefer to call it mmanu ofe or mmanu nri anyway.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Odunnu: 6:57pm On Jan 22, 2013
Afam4eva: For some reason, i hate being called OKORO.
I'll also hate to be called January or Monday.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jan 22, 2013

It is derogatory,your name is not Okoro so I can see why
If someone called Okoro to my face the person will get a tongue lashing or eye rolling ,it is meant to be called behind your back grin grin
They won't call it to your face anyway
Just like people wouldn't yell out hey this Yoruba come here
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Odunnu: 6:58pm On Jan 22, 2013
chosen04:

Nnaa, abeg chill jare....
Nnaa? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jan 22, 2013
what of people who have okoro as surnames? undecided
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Afam4eva(m): 6:59pm On Jan 22, 2013
berem: what of people who have okoro as surnames? undecided
It's their surname so there's nothing wrong with it. But for someone whose name is not okoro, it's annoying. And btw, okoro is not one of my favourite Igbo names.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jan 22, 2013
The one I find hilarious is when someone on NL calls another Omo nna and expect that it will upset the fellow
It makes me laff
Igbos call themselves Nne and nna when they speak
So Omo nna couldn't be annoying at all
Makes me laff sha
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Afam4eva(m): 7:01pm On Jan 22, 2013
babyosisi: The one I find hilarious is when someone on NL calls another Omo nna and expect that it will upset the fellow
It makes me laff
Igbos call themselves Nne and nna when they speak
So Omo nna couldn't be annoying at all
Makes me laff sha
Omo nna to Yorubas is like when Igbos say Yoruba. These words are probably the most used words by people from these tribes. At least that's what people from the other tribes think.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jan 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
It's their surname so there's nothing wrong with it. But for someone whose name is not okoro, it's annoying. And btw, okoro is not one of my favourite Igbo names.

Do you know that delta folks not Delta Ibo, answer Okoro?
I have seen one and was shocked
I thought it was only Igbos
Isoko or somewhere
I would like a delta person from the non Igbo part to confirm this
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Afam4eva(m): 7:03pm On Jan 22, 2013
babyosisi:

Do you know that delta folks mot Delta Ibo, answer Okoro?
I have seen one and was shocked
I thought it was only Igbos
I think i've seen a none Igbo okoro too. Come to think of it, okoro is not even a common name in Igboland, so i wonder why they chose to use okoro as opposed to emeka or igwe or something else.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
I don't even know the meaning of okoro if you ask me. but i think it has to do with 'oke ' meaning share.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jan 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
I think i've seen a none Igbo okoro too. Come to think of it, okoro is not even a common name in Igboland, so i wonder why they chose to use okoro as opposed to emeka or igwe or something else.

It is from Okoro maduekwe,an actor in an old TV drama village headmaster I believe
The series was popular when I was a tot,I just remember the names and nothing more

Sisi Clara
Kabiyesi
Chief eleyinmi
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jan 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
Mbaise people bear the name and mostly people from IMO state. what of okeke, okorie, okafor and okonkwo? don't they have similarities?
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Tolexander: 7:13pm On Jan 22, 2013
babyosisi:

Ofenmanu means you use a lot of oil while cooking which is true
Ajaokuta wharever is not a true statement since nobody eats stone
Okoro is similar to Yoruba
Many Igbos answer Okoro as name
Yorubas say nigbati nigbati when they speak and nigbati is a Yoruba word
ajaokuta ko, ewekoro ni! Ajeokutamamumi in its conotative meaning means somebody who takes a lot of food without taking water or takes little water.
Many igbo in the southwest answere okoro. It is always on nairaland and sometimes in film that i do hear the Yoruba and Yoruba. Anyway, they are fun to me.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jan 22, 2013
I see.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by oboy3(m): 7:16pm On Jan 22, 2013
Just passing No comment
#singing#
ukwu sara mbada na di mu mma n'obi,shake ma
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jan 22, 2013
o'boy:
Just passing No comment
#singing#
iji kwa ahu? grin
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by oboy3(m): 7:21pm On Jan 22, 2013
berem: iji kwa ahu? grin
berem,kee ife m me,kpatara mkpali a nine?
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Odunnu: 7:23pm On Jan 22, 2013
o'boy:
Just passing No comment
#singing#
Ukwu nwanyi owerri!
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by oboy3(m): 7:33pm On Jan 22, 2013
Odunnu:
Ukwu nwanyi owerri!
confirmentus confirmer
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Bella3(f): 7:35pm On Jan 22, 2013
Actualy, the word originated from igbos asking for water from their host. It definately wasnt during the war.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by theripper: 7:39pm On Jan 22, 2013
Hmmmmmm.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by nduchucks: 8:39pm On Jan 22, 2013
My peep have been calling Okoros, Nyamiri way before the war and it was not because they were begging for water. The term was coined by market women because they heard Igbo door to door traders ask fellow Igbos for water when they stoppedal to visit those fellow Igbo traders who operated stalls at the markets.

Much like the Igbo coined the Aboki term to refer to northern because they heard notherners call each other and others, Aboki. Aboki means friend, btw.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jan 22, 2013
ndu_chucks: My peep have been calling Okoros, Nyamiri way before the war and it was not because they were begging for water. The term was coined by market women because they heard Igbo door to door traders ask fellow Igbos for water when they stoppedal to visit those fellow Igbo traders who operated stalls at the markets.

Much like the Igbo coined the Aboki term to refer to northern because they heard notherners call each other and others, Aboki. Aboki means friend, btw.

Another angle
Thanks for contributing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Swaziland King Chooses Wife,tests Unclad Girls’ Virginity Openly[Photos,videos] / What's Are The Weirdest Culture In The World? / Isese Festival: Osun Declares Monday Public Holiday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.