Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,675 members, 7,851,299 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 04:38 PM

How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? (24848 Views)

Nigerian Twitter Reacts To President Buhari's Interview With Amanpour -SEE TWEET / Buhari's Interview With CNN Christiane Amanpour (Full Video) / President Jonathan's Interview Airs On ELTV At 10pm WAT Today. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by Nobody: 9:07am On Jan 24, 2013
Jonathan is a flop

He was fidgeting.

He is a stammer and a stammer is an angry person when chocks with words

He tried to get personal with amanpour in his defensive but the woman was tactical and show brilliance

He never professionally addressed issues thrown to him but went defensive even foolishly accusing the west of collaboration with his thieving politicians.

He saw amanpour as a westerner/an imperialist rather than a journalist

Amanpour saw the weaknesses in him regarding coordination, objectivity,and decided to end the interview abruptly.

I used the Hilary Clinton address and answer sessions to comfort my self for Jonathan inept and stup.dity

3 Likes

Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by Jesuspikin87(m): 9:07am On Jan 24, 2013
You think the Devil is a liar Then you shoudld have Watched GEJ interview with Amanpour on CNN, You will know the devil is a learner.
He couldn't even look @ the camera,His response towards oil theft,lie about the the country's power is pathetic.
God save am say no be Oprah winfrey...He wud have spat out the truths unconsciously.

2 Likes

Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by Goddex: 9:07am On Jan 24, 2013
@J12 you mean Buhari? buhahaha . . . don't even go there, that one talks like a gorrilla. Amanpour will wash him to pieces.

GEJ is miles away from Buhari when it comes to public speaking.
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by Shalome(m): 9:17am On Jan 24, 2013
What do you Gej haters want from him? He is not a magician for christsake? Electricity has improved and the threat of boko haram has reduced...Some folks here just enjoy criticizing

2 Likes

Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by balladin: 9:18am On Jan 24, 2013
Billyonaire: Nigeria's problem is structural deficiency called Federal Character ... which is another way for 'we stupidly do not want to let the state governments have powers'. And the solution lies with the National Assembly. Some day, someone will teach us that the only form of government that can work is 'Confederal System' where each state will have their Police departments to tackle security and immigration. Each state will control her resources and pay royalties to Abuja. Each State will take her destiny in her hands and give her people a better life. There is no way on Earth that someone in Abuja will understand the plight of people in my village, but a state government and local government chairmen do. Even Jesus Christ cant be a good President of Nigeria cos the system has structural defect and the sooner we change it the better. China and USA got their governing structure right. AUTONOMY OF STATES OR REGIONS IS THE WAY FORWARD.
My dear some states have no resources except sand. The confederation idea is a good one, but it won't be fair on some states. The poorer states lack infrastructure and any meaningful development. Even the wealth of the richer states has been plundered and looted by our thieving politicians. Nigeria needs drastic unconventional intervention. Some folks need to be eliminated or exiled for this land to survive.
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by Ayo79(m): 9:19am On Jan 24, 2013
The job of a president is to carry his whole country on his shoulders with poise and guile. In a World where where the international community is now closely connected , one of the main job of a president is to look presidential at all times. I am afraid, our dear Jonathan is everything but presidential.

when you are doing an interview, even if the person interviewing you is not standing or sitting right in front of you, the norm is to look at the camera as if the interviewer is in front of you. This will show that you are serious about what you are saying, not scared to address tough issues and a look of confidence.

Looking down like a small boy with his hands caught in the cookie jar is not the way a president of a population of 180 million should conduct himself during an interview. Jonathan has no charisma. Thats not a fault of his, charisma is something you are born with and it does not necessarily make you a good president. Many world are not charismatic but please, if you know you are not good public speaking or interview, you need to get some professionals in to start coaching you. Do you think obama, mandela and all the other good orators just became good at public speaking like that, it takes a lot of coaching and practising. Even David Cameron has people that advises and teaches him how to public speak and feel comfortable when doing interviews.

But having said all that, it is not really about public speaking, look at Hitler, Stalin, Gaddaffi etc who excelled at public speaking but had bad intentions. its all about whether a president gets the job done or not.

1 Like

Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by stineb1: 9:20am On Jan 24, 2013
ballabriggs:

I do not need to be the President of Nigeria to show how confident I am. Besides I will not even go there if I know I am not ready and so I don't need a smelly human like you to tell me what to do. There you have a man standing like a houseboy in front of Hilary.

Simple, he is not ready, he is not inspiring, he does not know what it takes to lead, he denies responsibility, he is a big coward with no confidence.
Watch your tongue Mr
Its people like you that cant even complete a common task that quickly jumps into NL to say rubish.
I am sure you come from that TRIBE.
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by solomon111(m): 9:21am On Jan 24, 2013
What do you mean by confidence?
How do you determine confidence by the movement of the lips?
Does 'oratory' determine quality of governance?
And why are we comparing GEJ to obama,when they are different people.
Obama the so-called orator has not done anything significant both in his first and second tenure yet.
I was looking forward to the analysis of the transcript,and not this nonsense about 'confidence'.
Smh at the idiotts on this thread.
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by PEREP: 9:23am On Jan 24, 2013
lacasa: Summary of the brief Q&a:

Q) On extra-judicial killings, high-handedness driving more ppeople to Boko-haram... - U.S State dept

GEJ: it's not true

Q) On Corruption, lack of Power and basic amenities still unavailable to most nigerians? - Amanpour

GEJ; the chain has to be repaired before the bulb can light

Q) On Oil theft, excessive state funds stolen, even your Finance Minister admitted to Billions stolen,Crude-oi l shipped out illegally in your government? - amanpour

GEJ: the international community has to help us stop this stolen crude taken abroad, countries must work with us to stop this trend

My personal evaluation:

To be frank, having a 'Dr' tied to your name does not ensure one to be an exposed Intellectual anymore.

#God help his people sha, cos na one chance we don enter so.

Your report of the interview here shows why Nigeria is not getting it right because you either intentionally give your own answers and put GEJ there or you are not good at 'Summary' in school.
For example, he confirmed that oil theft is still there and he is working to reduce it. Also,the crude is not refined in Nigeria and as such the international community must stand up against what is wrong by making it impossible for stolen crudes to be refined or allowed into their countries.
On the issue of power, he mentioned that even if the money to build power generating facility is available, the infrastrusture will not be ready immediately. You can check CNN for the full interview once again.

1 Like

Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by Nobody: 9:24am On Jan 24, 2013
onatisi: most people commenting on this issue or thread didnt even watch the interview ,they only read the thread heading or topic and started commenting
Before nko? Was dere power supply to watch it. Or do u think my TV uses charcoal?
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by Roverguy: 9:27am On Jan 24, 2013
pls when can i watch a repeat of d programme?
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by idlaw2k3(m): 9:29am On Jan 24, 2013
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by idlaw2k3(m): 9:29am On Jan 24, 2013
His confidence is not my problem. He just was not ready to lead.

For example.
Fresh Air and a vague Transformation agenda without focus is the Vision that GEJ has for Nigeria.
At least Yaradua had focus with his 7point Agenda.

GEJ makes a lot of unsubtantiated statements. Remember that after the October 1st bombings he declared to the whole world "we know who they are,... We know the sponsors". Till date we have not seen "who they are"

GEJ treats corruption lightly. Till date nothing has been done about Farook and Otedola. They have not even been arrained in court. Yet he says the fight against corruption is on.

By saying he doesnt give a damm about declaring his assets he allieniated himself from the Nigerians and set a bad example for other public officers. Would he have dared to make such a statement when he was seeking the vote of ordinary Nigerians?

He is more reactive than proactive. He keeps blaming unseen enemies and labeling constructive critics.....as sponsored by the opposition to discredit his administration.

My 2cents

2 Likes

Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by solomon111(m): 9:30am On Jan 24, 2013
PEREP:

Your report of the interview here shows why Nigeria is not getting it right because you either intentionally give your own answers and put GEJ there or you are not good at 'Summary' in school.
For example, he confirmed that oil theft is still there and he is working to reduce it. Also,the crude is not refined in Nigeria and as such the international community must stand up against what is wrong by making it impossible for stolen crudes to be refined or allowed into their countries.
On the issue of power, he mentioned that even if the money to build power generating facility is available, the infrastrusture will not be ready immediately. You can check CNN for the full interview once again.
It seems you don't know lacasa the aboki.
According to lacasa If muhammadu buhari(the corper killer,and islamic fundamentalist) is not the president,whoever is there can do nothing good.
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by Carl007: 9:34am On Jan 24, 2013
Well...maybe he was taken unawares
But what is GEJ doing at DAVOS?
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by cherriex(f): 9:37am On Jan 24, 2013
ballabriggs:

Fraudulent Nigerian, this man looking like a houseboy in this photo has "confidence"?
A president with his hands at his back,dats very bad
I bet he didn't study the characteristics of a good leader,of
Which appearance,posture and confidence also matters.
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by gerald09(m): 9:42am On Jan 24, 2013
Pygru: Nigeria battles to stop spread of al Qaeda chaos in Africa
Posted: January 23, 2013 1733 GMT
By Samuel Burke, CNN
In her testimony to Congress on Wednesday, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton cited jihadist group Boko Haram as part of the broader Islamic militant threat in Africa.
Clinton said that the West-African group, whose name means “Western education is sinful” is a major threat to Nigeria – Africa’s largest oil exporter.
In an interview with CNN’s Christiane Amanpour on Wednesday, Nigerian PresidentGoodluck Jonathan agreed that Boko Haram could pose an existential threat to his country.
“If Boko Haram is not contained, it would be a threat not only to Nigeria, but to West Africa, Central Africa and of course to North Africa,” he said. “Elements of Boko Haram linkup with some of al Qaeda in northern Mali and other North African countries.”
Emotional Clinton angrily denies Benghazi cover-up
For that reason, he said his government is “totally committed” to working with friendly nations to help contain problems in Mali. Like many other world leaders, Jonathan said the problem there has been exacerbated by the free flow of weapons out of Libya since the fall of dictator Moammar Gadhafi.
President Jonathan admitted that initially Boko Haram caught Nigeria off guard; now, he said, the country has been making progress to contain “the Boko Haram saga.”
He said his government is working day and night to make sure that the deadly attacks on an Algerian oil field do not happen in Nigeria.
The Economist reports that the death toll fromBoko Haram attacks in 2012 was 1,099 – double was it was the previous year.
“If you look at the last six months, incidents of killing started dropping,” President Jonathan contended, insisting that the government is gaining control.
He denied suggestions from the U.S. State Department that the Nigerian government has conducted a large quantity of arrests andkillings that have been indiscriminate, possibly driving more people into the hands of Boko Haram.
“The United States of America is completely wrong,” he told Amanpour. “No security agency arrests anybody just for the love of arrest. We have intelligence that enables us toarrest the people who have been arrested.”
President Jonathan also insists that poverty and unemployment are not fueling the violentrise of Boko Haram – citing religion as the primary motivation of this jihadist group.
As part of a counter terrorism effort, President Jonathan’s national security adviserhas sought to engage in dialogue with Boko Haram.
Jonathan told Amanpour that the discourse has helped the situation, and that he will continue to pursue this strategy.
The Power of the Presidency
Christiane Amanpour was the first journalist to interview Goodluck Jonathan when he assumed the presidency in April 2010. One focus of that conversation was about the endemic electric outages that average Nigerians face.
Three years later, despite continued problemsand a report by Nigeria’s Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission that says 60% of Nigerians are without access to power, Jonathan said that the country has made significant strides.
“That is one area where Nigerians are quite pleased with the government – that our commitment to improve power is working,” he said. “I promise you before the end of thisyear, power outages will be reasonably stablein Nigeria.”
Endemic Corruption
“You cannot change the mindset of people bywaving your hand. You must take means to make sure that you don’t create an environment where everyone will be corrupt and we are doing it very well,” Jonathan said.
He cited the previous elections as signs of success against corruption. International observers, The African Union, and the Independent National Electoral Commission allpraised the polling.
But there is still widespread corruption in theoil industry.
Last April, Nigerian Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala said that 400,000 barrels of oila day were looted from the country in just one month.
The International Energy Agency said that $7 billion dollars a year is lost annually to oil theft.
“Frankly speaking, speaking I want the international community to support Nigeria because this stolen crude is being bought by refineries abroad and they know the crude oil was stolen,” Jonathan told Amanpour. “The world must condemn what is wrong.”
http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/23/nigeria-battles-to-stop-spread-of-al-qaeda-chaos-in-africa/
I missed the interview thanks to PHCN, but if this is how it went I really don't c y Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ have a negative perception of GEj. He is not a confident speaker which so many world leaders have same problems. The fact is there are a lot of decisions GEJ has made to prevent nigeria from another civil war, I rather have a president who thinks before acting rather than act before thinking. If GEJ act the way most nigeria wants him to act the innocent 1s will suffer that's a fact. I think its good he waited cos it better to cut the head of Boko haram in mali den the bodies will whether and die.
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by Adurangba(f): 9:44am On Jan 24, 2013
Most of these online critics dont even have a voter's card talkless of affecting the voting pattern. Loolllzzzz. They just wasting their time.

By the way, how long did the interview last?
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by skyfall: 9:49am On Jan 24, 2013
Stvpid responses to important questions. He completely evaded the question on corruption and was looking down like a m0ron.

Nigerians deserve Jonathan because most of them are cowardly, hypocritical & dishonest. Reading the comments on here attests to that.

2 Likes

Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by Nobody: 9:50am On Jan 24, 2013
Symphony007: so mr armchair expert, what's the glorious alternative? Please introduce us to that knight in shinning amour who will swoop in a change nigeria overnight. We're most anxious!!

Pls! Beaf,insincere9gerian,Deri,Ifihearam etc etc get a real job.Dana Air is recruiting.
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by gerald09(m): 9:54am On Jan 24, 2013
People why I Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ so bothered how GEJ looked or how he stood. I now understand our problems. Most of us Nigeria have a permanent believe that nothing Good ever will come out from Nigeria. If u watch and heard the interview with an opened mind set I don't fink hw GEJ stood or looked will be una problem.
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by Adurangba(f): 9:54am On Jan 24, 2013
skyfall: Stvpid responses to important questions. He completely evaded the question on corruption and was looking down like a m0ron.

Nigerians deserve Jonathan because most of them are cowardly, hypocritical & dishonest. Reading the comments on here attests to that.

example? so whoever doesnt see the way you see now is cowardly, hypocritical and dishonest. Dude. you are funny.
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by Nobody: 9:56am On Jan 24, 2013
fratochi: . I love you my friend, you spoke my mind and indeed the opinion of many intellectual and intelligent nigerians on this forum. God bless you!

(Follow This Member)

Send E-Mail Message To fratochi

Time registered: December 22, 2012

Time spent online: 3 days & 21 hours.

Silly (insincere9gerian) Clown-Making comments and responding to your own comments with some other I.D's.
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by anataala: 10:00am On Jan 24, 2013
gboss4sure: It pains me that there are lots of Nigerians who claimed that they are informed yet they are morons.

The case of corruption in Nigeria is not an easy fight, there are top countries funding the corruption in Nigeria because they do benefit from it and these people rely on top Nigerians and mainly northerners and that's why every move to fight corruption will be twarted by the northerners backed by these developed countries and yet Nigerians still blame GEJ for corruption, ok why didn't OBJ stop corruption? Why didn't yaradua? Why didn't past administration fight and stop corruption.

You guys think that its Buhari that will end this corruption of an issue, keep on dreaming.

Corruption has been before GEJ and will continue existing even after GEJ has left office and by that time I will see who you guys will start blaming.

GEJ stepped on toes and some world powers when he removed the fuel subsidy and that caused a fallout with most of the countries who benefits from the subsidy issue and instead of Nigerians appreciating him they allowed themselves to be decieved by these stinking dirty politicians/thiefs.
Thank you, Labaran Maku.

Imagine a thief like el rufai critising GEJ and some deluded people are following him around, have we forgotten so soon his role during the OBJ rule. I pity this country, every thief is now turning into activist and decieving the people who can't think independently, always looking to fault everything he says or do.

Let's all continue decieveing ourself that GEJ is our problem, with this mindset of so many Nigerians, come the next 20 years Nigeria will be worst than it is now.
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by SKYQUEST(m): 10:02am On Jan 24, 2013
Billyonaire: GEJ is the best president Nigeria ever had. I want someone to disagree with me. GEJ is not an orator, but he is sure to do the right things with principles of humanitarian alacrity, I want someone to disagree with me. GEJ is not the best Nigerian for the Top Job, but currently he is our President and merits our Respect, Love and Support as we can not take him off his job until his tenures expire, I want someone to agree with me. For those whose jobs are to criticize, I dare you to look in the mirror and prove to me that you are more educated, more intelligent and more humble than Lord GEJ. I will end it by saying, if you drag a man at the top of the ladder by the leg, when he is falling, he is pushing you all the way down and his impact at landing will mutilate your organs. Love your president, there is more to Patriotism, it is a Godly command. Peace Profound!

seconded
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by Nobody: 10:03am On Jan 24, 2013
miiraaj:

Guy,you no wan gree say you Bleep up! Haba!

Biko,somebody tell that man that North Sea is not Northern Nigeria O.
I won't be surprised if this guy also has a PHD from Uniport.
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by teskyg: 10:03am On Jan 24, 2013
Yes,Buhari is more confident and intelligent than GEJ.These is what all these Religious bigot want to hear.Can we let GEJ be pls?How many of our states Governors have ever face an interview to inform us what they are doing with our allocation?All our attention are focused on GEJ.Until the day we begin to focus on our thieving Govenors and local Government chairmen.the much anticipated quich changes we crave will be elusive.GEJ alone can not put food on the table of every Nigeria.
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by Nobody: 10:07am On Jan 24, 2013
Billyonaire: Nigeria's problem is structural deficiency called Federal Character ... which is another way for 'we stupidly do not want to let the state governments have powers'. And the solution lies with the National Assembly. Some day, someone will teach us that the only form of government that can work is 'Confederal System' where each state will have their Police departments to tackle security and immigration. Each state will control her resources and pay royalties to Abuja. Each State will take her destiny in her hands and give her people a better life. There is no way on Earth that someone in Abuja will understand the plight of people in my village, but a state government and local government chairmen do. Even Jesus Christ cant be a good President of Nigeria cos the system has structural defect and the sooner we change it the better. China and USA got their governing structure right. AUTONOMY OF STATES OR REGIONS IS THE WAY FORWARD.

I agree, but you would expect that he use the powerful office of the presidency to push through these important changes via a constitutional amendment at the National Assembly. What did he do, other than propose six-year single tenure?
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by gare(f): 10:09am On Jan 24, 2013
You guys keeping talking about GEJ not being composed and lack confidence, but from some of your contributions if not all of you here, lacks a great lot of confidence, do you think it is easy to be the C In C, pls give this guy a break, if you feel he is not good enough then come 2015, you vote him out, that is if he will be running.
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by Nobody: 10:16am On Jan 24, 2013
Symphony007: what a disgusting lie! Thank God their are still fact-checkers around. Hillary rodham clinton never questioned the ability of the nigerian government to contain boko haram she was simply listing terrorist networks in africa when asked by senator dick durbin(D)...i guess the comment just the way she said it was'nt sweet enought you have to garnish it with some lies so the jab at jonathan will be swiff!! Try again cause i gotta ya!!

she was simply listing terrorist networks in africa when asked by senator Joystick durbin(D).. Kai this NL word sensor na wao.Haba Senator D-ick is now Senator Joystick.
Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by gare(f): 10:18am On Jan 24, 2013
[quote author=anataala][/quote]

I very much agree with you, must super powers if not all are funding and benefiting from the corruption taking place in Nigeria, E.g must Oil Multinationals company in Nigeria if not all are very corrupt, and there home countries is very much aware of their activities, Mobil, Chevron, Halliburton (USA) Shell, (UK & Holland), TOTAL, (France)AGIP (Italy).

All these companies mentioned above have one way or the other destroyed this country in order for them to take out oil.

1 Like

Re: How Will You Rate Jonathan's Interview With Amanpour? by MahatmaGhandi: 10:20am On Jan 24, 2013
we all are looking at the now without looking at what the future holds, i am not a GEJ fan but the myopic nature of the criticisms of this man will for ever leave a scar in our leadership, it is wrong to criticise anyone the way this man has been criticised, if he drinks water with a rubber cup people scream he drinks water like a pauper stupid fisher man from a otueke, if he does same with a glass cup they scream he has used all our cash to buy fancy cups, go back nigeria history and play the interviews of past presidents even obj not to mention YARADUA and tell me how much of an orator these guys were, what you guys don’t see is the fact that when a northerner becomes president again the barrage of criticism that will come from the south will be more than he can bear, they will pick on everything he or she does whether good or bad, this is not how to go about criticising someone it is not good for our democracy, the bitterness and bad-fate in the criticisms are too much, lets be objective and reasonable with our criticism. the best way to criticise anyone you want to improve is to first tell him at least one positive about what he has done and tell him three that needs improvement, that is how civilised people criticise, there is a criticism that seeks to pull down and another that seeks to make good or repair.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Abuja Youths Storm PDP Headquarters, Demand For Peter Obi / Lekki Deep Seaport To Begin Operations This Friday / Power Tussle:Governor Dickson Fires Patience Jonathan’s Loyalists In His Cabinet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.