Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,998 members, 7,810,776 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri (18286 Views)

Abians Welcome Governor Ikpeazu At Sam Mbakwe's Airport, Owerri(Photos) / Saraki Commissions Remodelled Senate Press Centre In Abuja (photos) / STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 24, 2013
@manny4life: I don't doubt you. The funny thing is that the runway cost more than the over $600million budgeted for the construction of 5 new international terminals and 6 agro terminals in Nigeria cheesy

Anyway, I'm all for making Nigeria the hub of air travel in Africa.
Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by obi2012: 9:38pm On Jan 24, 2013
dont worry, delta state construction crew will do the runway for N1bn grin

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/957157_IMG-20130121-00078_jpg4fdb10d6cd1686f9495498d7dff6edb8[/img]

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/957172_IMG-20130121-00080_jpg92daca899726f1c85d4362440c84caf8[/img]

CFCfan:

OMG!! A runway cost N160bn?! Maybe it was built in a difficult terrain.

Please don't let any Nigerian govt official see your post o; before they get other ideas grin
Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by asha80(m): 9:43pm On Jan 24, 2013
Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jan 24, 2013
^^^
Lmao grin grin. Construction crew indeed.

I can't wait to use the new MMIA international terminal. It will be ready in the last quarter of 2014.
Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by talktimi(m): 10:14pm On Jan 24, 2013
Some people have come to this thread just to spout their tribal nonsense. Its all good, to suffer is their portion since they can never appreciate something good in others.

2 Likes

Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jan 24, 2013
These new terminals would need to be optimally utilized by a healthy airline industry in Nigeria. I also hope that runway lights are installed at ALL Nigerian runways.
Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by manny4life(m): 10:31pm On Jan 24, 2013
CFCfan: @manny4life: I don't doubt you. The funny thing is that the runway cost more than the over $600million budgeted for the construction of 5 new international terminals and 6 agro terminals in Nigeria cheesy

Anyway, I'm all for making Nigeria the hub of air travel in Africa.

Nigeria and U.S. are in different class, but you have to think though cost of construction in this country is just too high. An average laborer in Nigeria can be paid up to $10/hr for a weekly job($400) or N64,000 BUT in the U.S., laborers earn about 3x of that amount. The cost of materials is another story of it's own. The then the killer is the compliance and regulation (federal, state, city county) and the list is endless. The you deal with union issues, then insurance, I mean, the financial burden is so much.

In Nigeria, you don't wory about most of these stuff like that. Labor is cheap, if you comply with federal and state, who gives a s.h.ii.t about city and county? embarassed embarassed embarassed, let alone union workers or is it worker or construction insurance. You see, Nigeria kinda shields you from most of these cost, so U.S. tends to be highers.

Nigeria has a gr8 potential, tapping into it is another story of its own but we're getting there.. Sooner or later, we shall take over Africa... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by manny4life(m): 10:40pm On Jan 24, 2013
CFCfan: ^^^
Lmao grin grin. Construction crew indeed.

I can't wait to use the new MMIA international terminal. It will be ready in the last quarter of 2014.

Let's hope it lives up to its expectation, I know this woman is working (cosmetic or not), let haterz continue crying. After all, when she came on board, I was reading an aviation article on AOPA or so, they said Nigeria has gradually improved the four airports excluding PH, all airports met ICAO standard. I was like wow, we're getting there, so to answer your question below

CFCfan: These new terminals would need to be optimally utilized by a healthy airline industry in Nigeria. I also hope that runway lights are installed at ALL Nigerian runways.

IT WILL. Without lights, though they can use their own light for takeoff (VERY RARE and not advisable) but can't land without one....
Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 24, 2013
^^^
Yeah, the labor and insurance costs in here in the US is so high. I guess that's why most US multinational corporations outsource jobs embarassed.
However, it is well documented that construction costs in Nigeria are most times, inflated. Remember the proposed N65bn Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport runway? grin. Nonetheless, the airport projects embarked upon by Mrs Stella Oduah seem to be appropriately priced.

1 Like

Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by ARROBA(m): 11:11pm On Jan 24, 2013

Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by CVHP: 11:13pm On Jan 24, 2013
geeez: The Minister of Aviation looks very cosmetic and that's exactly her approach to aviation business in Nigeria. Remodeling airports which I think should be concessioned and not addressing the real issues like safety and security of passengers. Even the runways are in pitiable states. She prefers some cosmetic surgery as treatment for a skin disease rather than address the underlying cause. It's a shame
Must everything in the country be concessioned? What's left for govt to do? Very soon getting a wife, husband, children would be concessioned too. It's fine if any one says there are challenges facing the aviation sector: fare, logistics, security etc.

1 Like

Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by Nobody: 11:53pm On Jan 24, 2013
CVHP:
Must everything in the country be concessioned? What's left for govt to do? Very soon getting a wife, husband, children would be concessioned too. It's fine if any one says there are challenges facing the aviation sector: fare, logistics, security etc.

The government can focus on security, post-primary education and infrastructure.
I believe though, that the FG could have a 30% stake in its own airports, while private companies, individuals and other entities could have the remaining 70%.
Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:49am On Jan 25, 2013
CFCfan: These new terminals would need to be optimally utilized by a healthy airline industry in Nigeria. I also hope that runway lights are installed at ALL Nigerian runways.

^^^Regarding the bolded: i'm afraid not, due to paucity of funds. At some airports, they plan to locate torch-waving ground crew at either side of the runway at night to guide in-coming flights....and linked to the control tower via mobile phones; if there's a network failure then all bets are off, with passengers and crew of the flight concerned well and truly fuc/ked!
Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by ak47mann(m): 4:16am On Jan 25, 2013
impressive the airport look exactly like Birmingham airpot in UK

2 Likes

Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by geeez: 7:46am On Jan 25, 2013
Bawss1:

What is needed is for the remodelling of the airports to be carried out properly. Shallow and vitriolic comments like yours are uncalled for. Suggest a better way forward, if you must, without insults.

You're a dunce right? Didn't you read my suggestion in my post?- Google concessioning
Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by talktimi(m): 8:43am On Jan 25, 2013
CFCfan:

The government can focus on security, post-primary education and infrastructure.
I believe though, that the FG could have a 30% stake in its own airports, while private companies, individuals and other entities could have the remaining 70%.
in other words, the minister shouldn't utilize her budgetary allocation but instead syphon it because you want the fed govt to focus on security, education & education ? Well done
Wouldn't it be better to ask the ministries and departments what they do with their yearly budgets ? And when the federal govt doesn't take care of their infrastructure or improve on existing ones aren't you the first person that will complain ? Let's give this minister a round of applause instead of condemning her for doing her job.
Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by taharqa: 2:39am On Jan 26, 2013
The Management of the Sam Mbakwe International Airport, Owerri, Imo State says it is set to commence night flights following the upgrading of its equipment and expansion work on its terminal. Due to the poor lighting, the airport could not operate night flights.

Managing Director of the Airport, Mr. Young Ekwekwuo made this known on Tuesday 22nd January, 2013 when he received members of the National Good Governance Tour who were at the airport on inspection of facilities.

He told the team that the communication equipment of the Airport have also been upgraded, while total coverage of its airspace which extends to Port Harcourt and beyond has been achieved.

Mr. Ekwekwuo pointed out that the Federal Government embarked on the remodeling of the Airport because it was previously not looking like one. He said the airport now has bigger arrival and departure halls.

According to him, the Departure Hall now has over 240 seats as against the 40 seats it previously had to make-do with. The M.D further informed that the interior of the Departure has been completed except for the conveniences

In his remarks, the Minister of Information, Mr. Labaran Maku noted that under the present Administration Nigeria now has 100 percent radar coverage of its airspace.

The Minister informed that the modernization was being carried out in 11 airports all over the country under phase 1. He reiterated President Goodluck Jonathan’s determination in ensuring that the country’s airports are modernized to international standards.

He further stated that cargo airports were also being constructed across the country under the administration’s Aviation Programme. Mr. Maku noted that the Aviation Programme which is a comprehensive one would provide more job opportunities.

The Minister disclosed that the programme is also designed to assist airlines in the country replace aged planes. He commended the Aviation Minister for the good job she was doing in the sector saying the programme was the first of its kind in Nigeria.

“The President is quietly working for Nigeria and Nigerians should know that despite all the political attacks development is being achieved”, Maku said.

A waiting passenger, Dcn. Joseph Uche who spoke to newsmen on the team described the ongoing remodeling of the Sam Mbakwe International Airport as tremendous. He observed that the Airport was now looking like any other. Some other passengers who spoke at the departure hall commended the Minister for the National Good Governance Tour which they pointed out has given them the opportunity to interact with government

http://fmi.gov.ng/nggt-imo-sam-mbakwe-international-airport-set-for-night-flights-m-d/
Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by Nobody: 3:30am On Jan 26, 2013
Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by Ejine(m): 4:17am On Jan 26, 2013
Guys, isn't Sam Mbakwe Airport state-owned?
Nice development, though.
Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by Nobody: 12:45am On Aug 11, 2014
geeez: The Minister of Aviation looks very cosmetic and that's exactly her approach to aviation business in Nigeria. Remodeling airports which I think should be concessioned and not addressing the real issues like safety and security of passengers. Even the runways are in pitiable states. She prefers some cosmetic surgery as treatment for a skin disease rather than address the underlying cause. It's a shame

Typical yoruba person...always negative.

2 Likes

Re: Remodelled Sam Mbakwe Airport , Owerri by Nobody: 1:40am On Aug 11, 2014
ROSSIKE:

Don't listen to them. They're idiots who haven't achieved anything remotely close to what they're insulting in their own lives.
ALHAJI ROSSIKE HOW FAR

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Stay Away From Our State – Enugu Government Warns MASSOB, IPOB / Reconsider Position On N385 Pump Price, Senator Gershom Bassey Warns Govs / ‘army Getting New Weapons To Combat B’ Haram’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.