Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,408 members, 7,812,209 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:06 AM

Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) (24053 Views)

Remaining Possessions Of Tafawa Balewa At His Tomb. Photos / Tafawa Balewa As Nigeria Celebrated Independence Day In 1960 - Throwback Photos / Fashola - Ambobe Handing Over: Tafawa Balewa Square Tastefully Decorated (photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by miiraaj: 3:02pm On Jan 26, 2013
I just wish Jona undecided would be 1/10 as intelligent as Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa

3 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by crackhaus: 3:02pm On Jan 26, 2013
F. All of the above

drzed: Oya, see jamb questions:

(1) Can the American House of Reps organise/convene a special session for any Naija leader today - as they did for Balewa?

a) No way
b) For where
c) Na beans?
d) Next Question pls
e) Mtcheeeww

(2) Can (or has) any recent leader of Nigeria speak so eloquently (with impressive accent) while being modest and unassuming about it?

a) No way
b) For where
c) Na beans?
d) Next Question pls
e) All of the above

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by thaoriginator: 3:18pm On Jan 26, 2013
tha_originator: @OP, Seun and Mod, I dey come make shaply watch the video. I go soon comment. BTW, good afternoon people!
OMG! I think say dem talk say Aboki na dumb, illiterate and a fool! This video has proved otherwise. Mehhn this man is a great guy, see the way they clapped for baba at house of rep speech. Una fisherman jona no fit even perform up to a par of that speech without biting his tongue and stammering. And that was in 61 compare to 2013 era of where er thing is made easy. Kudos to Balewa mehn, may his soul RIP!

2 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by crackhaus: 3:30pm On Jan 26, 2013
OBADIAH777, I beg to differ on this your opinion. During that period(50's and 60's), Nigeria as a geographical entity commanded a ton of respect from international on-lookers and I guess this is the reason why Tafawa Balewa got such a welcome. Nigerians were never considered as less in the eyes of America until it became clear to them that we as a nation could no longer fend for its citizens even while the political elite lived in extravagance. Most, if not all, of Nigerians who travelled to the west in the 50's & 60's were learned men & women who sought to enrish their knowledge unlike today where majority of nigerians only seek greener pastures in the US so they can come back home to show-off the new car/house they acquired washing the white man's dishes.
I mean, check out you tube videos where journalists interview nigerian head of states from Babaginda to Obasanjo to Jonathan and then we can notice the condescending tone with which they interview Nigerian figures.
The question now is, was it always so? Absolutely not. Our leaders are responsible for degrading and belittling our soverignty and it will remain so for as long as things remain as they are in our country. I can't imaginge Isha sesay or Amanpour interviewing Obama or Cameron or even that north Korean guy the way they did Jonathan, its so phucking demoralizing at the least.

obadiah777: HOW THE HECK DO YOU VISIT A COUNTRY WHERE YOUR RACE IS SEGREGATED INTO GHETTOS AS SUBHUMANS IN THE 1960S. I WONDER IF THEY PUT HIM IN A BLACK HOTEL IN THE BLACK PART OF TOWN OR THEY ALLOWED HIM TO BE THE FLY IN THE SOUP. THE HYPOCRISY OF AMERICA TO EVEN ACCEPT SUCH AS VISIT KNOWING HOW THEY VIEW HIS TYPE.

3 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by nebeolis: 3:31pm On Jan 26, 2013
PeeDaVinci: [flash]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT5m9Fn9RBg[/flash]
other than the mosque-visiting part of the video (which may send negative message in the nigeria of today), i see a charismatic leader who looks very confident in his pose and speech (irrespective of his ugly look and dressing smiley )

[size=18pt]check
2:27
7:40
25:20
[/size] for his ATB's speeches

ABUBAKAR NEVER WENT TO SOUDI ARABIA BUT USSA ,CANADA, UK AUSTRALIA RUSIA BUT NEVER VISIT MOSLEM COUNTRY WHY ARE THOSE BAGERS BOKO NEVER LEARN FROM THIS VISIT YOU CAN SEE THE MAN REALY WANT TO TURN THE THE HOUSA FULANI COW INTO MODER USA FARM I MEAN TO TEACH THEM HOW TO WORK HARD AND PRODUCE MORE COW
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by AjCityOne: 3:45pm On Jan 26, 2013
PeeDaVinci:

do i have a problem with ATB visiting the mosque? ABSOLUTELY NOT. however, i'm concerned about the kind of message paying a state visit to a religious center may send in present day nigeria, where religious intolerance is growing by the day.
by the way, (this is off-topic), i prefer a secular (not multi-religious) nigeria state in which nigerians are deeply and "truely" religious.

Then I guess you should learn to put your words across right. Because my interpretation of your write up regarding "which may send negative message in the nigeria of today" means different things to lots of people.
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jan 26, 2013
crackhaus: OBADIAH777, I beg to differ on this your opinion. During that period(50's and 60's), Nigeria as a geographical entity commanded a ton of respect from international on-lookers and I guess this is the reason why Tafawa Balewa got such a welcome. Nigerians were never considered as less in the eyes of America until it became clear to them that we as a nation could no longer fend for its citizens even while the political elite lived in extravagance. Most, if not all, of Nigerians who travelled to the west in the 50's & 60's were learned men & women who sought to enrish their knowledge unlike today where majority of nigerians only seek greener pastures in the US so they can come back home to show-off the new car/house they acquired washing the white man's dishes.
I mean, check out you tube videos where journalists interview nigerian head of states from Babaginda to Obasanjo to Jonathan and then we can notice the condescending tone with which they interview Nigerian figures.
The question now is, was it always so? Absolutely not. Our leaders are responsible for degrading and belittling our soverignty and it will remain so for as long as things remain as they are in our country. I can't imaginge Isha sesay or Amanpour interviewing Obama or Cameron or even that north Korean guy the way they did Jonathan, its so phucking demoralizing at the least.

CHIEF CRACKHAUS, TRUST SATURDAY IS GOING WELL. BRAH, THIS ISSUE IS NOT ABOUT THE RESPECT THEY HAVE FOR NIGERIANS. BEFORE WE ARE NIGERIAN WE ARE 'BLACK PEOPLE'. NO SANE HUMAN BEING DENIGRATES AND SUBJUGATES AND SEGREGATES AND CONSIDERS MEMBERS OF ONE RACE AS INFERIOR AND THEN IN THE SAME BREATH RESPECT MEMBERS OF THAT RACE FROM A DIFFERENT COUNTRY. A RACIST IS A RACIST. WHAT THEY ARE DOING IS CALLED 'PRETENDING'. THEY ARE PRETENDING TO LIKE TAFAWA BALEWA OR OTHER AFRICAN DIGNATARIES OF THE TIME BECAUSE OF THE GAINS THEY CAN GET FROM THE COUNTRY. IF TAFAWA BALEWA WAS AN AFRICAN AMERICAN HE WOULD BE LYNCHED FOR BEING AN UPPITY NI--ER. DONT CONFUSE 'PRETENDING TO LIKE SOMEONE' WITH 'ACTUAL GENUINE LIKENESS'

AS FOR HOW JONATHAN WAS BEING INTERVIEWED ( I HAVENT SEEN IT ) BUT YOU HAVE TO REALISE SHE HAS DONE EXTENSIVE TRAVELS ACROSS AFRICA AND KNOWS THE MODUS OPERANDI OF AFRICAN KLEPTOCRATS. WHAT SHE IS SHOWING IS HER DISGUST FOR JONATHAN FOR BEING PART OF THE PEOPLE BRINGING SUFFERING ON THE CONTINENT. ITS A PERSONAL THING.

2 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by arewatech(m): 4:25pm On Jan 26, 2013
This is one of the best leaders Nigeria has ever had. I'm very proud of him

2 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:25pm On Jan 26, 2013
What are some people spewing on this thread? Tafawa Balewa was eloquently spoken! This was when there was respect for Nigerian Leaders not the jokers we have in power today!
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by slimfit1(m): 4:28pm On Jan 26, 2013
drzed: Oya, see jamb questions:

(1) Can the American House of Reps organise/convene a special session for any Naija leader today - as they did for Balewa?

a) No way
b) For where
c) Na beans?
d) Next Question pls
e) Mtcheeeww

(2) Can (or has) any recent leader of Nigeria speak so eloquently (with impressive accent) while being modest and unassuming about it?

a) No way
b) For where
c) Na beans?
d) Next Question pls
e) All of the above

Fashola can get that type of recognition I can tell you and assure you that, take all sentiment out.

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jan 26, 2013
ThoniaSlim: What are some people spewing on this thread? Tafawa Balewa was eloquently spoken! This was when there was respect for Nigerian Leaders not the jokers we have in power today!
RESPECT FOR NIGERIAN LEADERS ? WHEN WAS THIS GOLDEN ERA ? AM I MISSING SOMETHING ? THEY ONLY JUST LET YOU RULE YOURSELF IN 1960. THIS IS ONLY 50 YEARS AGO. WHAT RESPECT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ? THE ONLY NIGERIAN LEADER WHO COMMANDED AND DEMANDED RESPECT WAS KILLED BY THE CIA. MURTALA MOHAMMED. NIGERIAN LEADERS ARE PUPPETS. YOU DONT RESPECT A PUPPET. YOU MAKE THE PUPPET DANCE THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO. THE ONLY NIGERIAN LEADER WHO REFUSED TO DANCE LIKE A PUPPET WAS ASSASINATED. AMERICA WILL NOT TOLERATE ANY NIGERIAN LEADER WHO COMMANDS AND DEMANDS RESPECT. AND AGAIN I ASK ? WHICH ERA WAS THIS WHEN AFRICAN LEADERS WERE RESPECTED ? CUZ I SEEM TO HAVE MISSED IT
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by crackhaus: 4:57pm On Jan 26, 2013
I must admit OBADIAH777, I don't agree with all of your theories but it still makes for good reading. CIA responsible for asassinating Murtula Mohammed.. Ok na...
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by gwas(m): 5:05pm On Jan 26, 2013
@topic, Kudos to Balewa - one of the greatest Nigerian leaders that possessed eloquency!
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by kobikwelu(m): 5:19pm On Jan 26, 2013
I liked the way he carried himself (and exceptionally eloquent if i might add)and by the way, if some of you looked at his itenary, you would notice he only went to Tennessee in the south and visited a Dam and Farm...after that, ran back to the north east...the Americans knew the reality of their time and hence advised him on where to go.

And FYI kennedy was one of the main supporters of the Civil rights movement (which was one of the reason why he was shot....in addition to his affinity to the Catholic church) and also the USA tactically classified the Civil rights movement as "CIVIL" which meant it was a domestic matter not a Human rights issue which would have elicited international discuss..so how do you expect Tafawa Balewa to "carry-the-matter-for-head"??

Look, all the man (TBA)was trying to do was create credibility and international recognition for his young democracy (which was barely a year old).

Up till today, the North/South dichotomy still exists in the USA...if you've lived here...they are like two countries merged in one. The way of living/life is very different as you move from the North to the South.....

And oh! by the way, why won't they not assume they are better than you?lOOK AROUND YOU AND SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE WITH YOUR-SELVES...
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by laykhorn(m): 5:19pm On Jan 26, 2013
A very inspiring piece... I hope our presidents can still get this kinda welcomes some days

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by lafuria1(m): 5:23pm On Jan 26, 2013
tafawa balewa, men that had the interest of people at heart not the useless present ones, only to be holding memorial service on their behalf and do nothing afterwards

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by eklassical(m): 5:23pm On Jan 26, 2013
.,............And major chukwuemeka nzeogwu took this man's life during d first coup in 1966..........smh
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by mmmustapha(m): 5:54pm On Jan 26, 2013
The Golden Voice of Africa
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by dulphines: 6:47pm On Jan 26, 2013
obadiah777: HAVING SAID ALL THAT TAFAWA BALEWA COMES ACROSS AS A COMPOSED AND VERY DIGNIFIED, CONFIDENT, SELF ASSURED, STATUESQUE AND PRINCIPLED MAN.

I agree with you totally. I have not heard nor seen any of our leaders address people in a well composed manner, speaking eloquently and confidently. I am not a Northerner but i admire them to have had such an intellect.
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by prettyboi1(m): 7:08pm On Jan 26, 2013
Tafawa Balewa in that video represented & represents the kind of charisma & confidence I'd love all Nigerian presidents & leaders to have.
God Bless the federal Republic of Nigeria. Amen.

3 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by lagcity(m): 7:24pm On Jan 26, 2013
Tafawa Balewa was also known as The Black Rock. He was seen as an intelligent and stately leader who could represent black African the world stage. This video is a stark reminder of how low Nigeria has fallen. It also shows that a poor country can still be respected if it has an inteligent , strong, and confident leader. The leader makes all the difference.
For those saying the white Americans are pretending. I don't think so. These people lined the streets to come and see Balewa. Why go through all that trouble just to pretend to like someone? There was a mixture of fascination and respect for Balewa.
Te applause by the congress was also genuine; this is the same congress that passed the civil rights legislation of the 1960s.

4 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by on3simus: 8:00pm On Jan 26, 2013
pretty_boi:
Did you even watch this video or you're just one of the many typical judgmental & sentimental dunces we have in Nigeria? He's illiterate? Did you notice how impeccable his use of english & diction in that video were? I doubt you watched the video,please prove me wrong. Cheers.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by Solozzo(m): 8:12pm On Jan 26, 2013
Incidentally both Abubakar and Kennedy were assasinated in power.
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by richs(m): 8:24pm On Jan 26, 2013
Please someone should educate the nigerian president on posture,the way he stood before hillary clinton in this photo shows absence of self awareness,he stood there like servant taking instruction from his master haba
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by firstolalekan(m): 8:52pm On Jan 26, 2013
The silly old generations that have failed us.
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by racetrack: 9:18pm On Jan 26, 2013
Honestly, Nigeria has lost her place amongst nations.Abubakar is a leader who has what it takes to put Nigeria back to her lost glory. He is not among the present crops of dumb leaders in today Nigeria.This video will forever be remember for Abubakar's knowledge. Charisma,fluency and confidence before one of Americans greatest leaders.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gov. Yuguda & Emir Of Bauchi Playing Football / Certificate Supplied To INEC By Tinubu Was Certified By CSU - Registrar / Court Orders Man To Wash Public Toilets For 30 Days For Being Rude

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.