Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,168 members, 7,821,961 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches (8668 Views)

Igbele: Evil Forest Where Itsekiris Dump Corpses Of Witches, Wizards / Some Common Misconceptions Nigerians Have About Other Nigerians. / Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by lonelydora: 5:26pm On Jan 30, 2013
The reason is because of this kind of people.

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by Philolos: 5:35pm On Jan 30, 2013
lonelydora: The reason is because of this kind of people.
True depiction of belief systems: mainstream and indigenous.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by trolling(m): 7:11pm On Jan 30, 2013
the_ripper: Na wetin u talk na him winches know, where mouth dey reach, leg no fit reach there o. Naija is wicked, talk less and listen more. No b errbody wey dey follow u shine teeth b ur friend.
and who told u the "wicked" dont know about yr endeavors or intentions before u do it,if u dont have God on your side you can forget it,or why do u think Paul said I find then a law that if would do good,evil is present.... i was told that crap back in naija but b4 leaving for the states i still told my friends, so whats the biggie,u gat yr visa already so whose gonna strip u of your visa if u tell them. But its best one accomplishes something before he talks about it,like Solomon said "the fool uttereth all his mind" but u can also get counsel from your elders or wise men that way u wont be disappointed
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by kaboninc(m): 7:12pm On Jan 30, 2013
fellis:

This should be it. I have been told by people that I should mind whoever I tell my future plans to because some people are evil and will try to ruin those plans in the native doctor's shrine or in the coven.
lol

Honestly, its not wise to tell 'people' anything about your future plans or anything about you. Things do happen. However, I try to find real, honest and trustworthy friends who i can share my successes and failures. You never know who is who.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by SisiKill1: 8:07pm On Jan 30, 2013
speedyboi:

oooh! Okay.
But its quite weird not to know what your friend does for a living!!!

And its unbelievable that you are a close friend to an entrepreneur, he is recruiting in his office and you have no idea about it. Is it not in nigeria? - The friend will even ask if he has anyone qualified!

From the op's post, i can only drive out two conclusions:
1. He is lying about this whole story.
OR
2. He is a hypocrite! Full stop!

I'm not sure you are reading these posts right. OP did not say he didn't know what his friend did for a living...seriously where did you get that from??!! He said he didn't know the guy was LOOKING FOR A JOB and if the friend is anything like you with your "Tufiakwa, me tell Nigerians my problems? I'll rather tell my dog"...then how the heck is OP supposed to know he needed a Job!!!

Not know his entrepenue friend was recruiting...again with the selective reading, where in the world did OP say that?!! He said he didn't know his friend was looking for a Job, if had known he might have helped considering he knew the person doing the recruiting!!!!! How's that hard to grasps?!!

You are trying so hard to make some logical deduction based on half-assed conclusions from selective reading...how does that work?!!

@ Topic
The Irony some people have refused to grasp or perhaps chosen to ignore is the fact that he didn't get the job.

He did not tell and still he didn't get the job.

They say it is because he doesn't want "enemies" to stop his progress that's why he didn't tell his friend...soooooooooooo what happened? With all the secrecy, why didn't he get it?! Surely by the logic behind not telling, he should be riding on easy street, no? Oh Oh I know...He must have he mistakenly used the word JOB in someone elses presences and that person blocked his progress...that's why he didn't get it! Gosh! Darn that bastard enemy of progress random person!! angry

Do you see how ridiculous it is? They don't count the times they mentioned something to people and it still worked or the times the didn't mention it all and it didn't work. Instead of sitting back and looking at the reasons for failure...taking time for some introspective moment, they would rather blame Iya okan or some witch in the village or some friend who gave them one kain eye when they mentioned something the sounds like JOB. Yeparipa! Sound the Alarm Bells!!

Naija and specious reasoning. . .God help us!! undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by princemaicheal: 9:39pm On Jan 30, 2013
Omerian Consult: I have an issue with disclosure too. This is mainly because we don't support each other's success in Africa. You get help only when calamity befalls u, the deadlier d calamity, the greater the help.
Even at that,you wont still get help.You are responsible for your life and progress so,protect it.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jan 30, 2013
Philolos:

It boils down to a general social problem our society suffers from: trust and our belief system. The so-called religions as I understand them are meant to free us and give us confidence to soar. This does not mean that the atheist fair well in this society, especially if he/she doesn't control his/her mind. However, the religions (both mainstream and indigenous) have been perverted to put us rather in bondage and give us insecurities, and any other weakness that comes to mind. A society is a reflection of its citizen’s minds. It obvious that the minds of our individuals are not functioning as they should be.
thats why one has to quit an environment if does not favour them! some folks reasoning/orientation is far more scientifically advanced than naija
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by Chitexs250(m): 12:10am On Jan 31, 2013
cool cool cool cool

We are just who we are
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by Alleinad(f): 12:49am On Jan 31, 2013
Haahahahahahaha!! You have all made my night. A lot of the stuff you've mentioned are really funny like the 'do you have food today?' Question. Anyway, I believe that the outside is ruled by the inside, the physical by the spiritual, in other words, what you believe works for you. Everybody isn't out to get you but shouldn't you rather play safe? Make progress, considerable progress on your plans before you consider disclosure. Your stories have been very educative to me.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by 2legit2qwt: 1:14am On Jan 31, 2013
Alleinad: Haahahahahahaha!! You have all made my night. A lot of the stuff you've mentioned are really funny like the 'do you have food today?' Question. Anyway, I believe that the outside is ruled by the inside, the physical by the spiritual, in other words, what you believe works for you. Everybody isn't out to get you but shouldn't you rather play safe? Make progress, considerable progress on your plans before you consider disclosure. Your stories have been very educative to me.

I learned from this thread as well, i got a better idea on how the mindsets of a lot of people work and their reasons for doing some of these things. Agreed, one has to tread with caution but not to the point of hiding away from people who could be of help to you
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by trolling(m): 4:18am On Jan 31, 2013
jbrodaly: I for one I am very open-very open.But I noticed that even those you consider close friends aren't-So,it is like you're making a fool of yourself when you do since they are not(even those you are helping).I think it boils down to superstitious belief.Over the time I decided to be open to those that are open to me.I discovered that just talking about a particular thing with a reliable person I get ideals not necessarily from the person but as i speak something comes up.Bingo!A lot of times you hear the "big men" saying they are gonna buy a particular co. or make some kinda investment..The whole world get to know about it and yet they succeed in doing it.For me I am never scared of any witch or wizard !
u make sense jare
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by jaydude(f): 5:39am On Jan 31, 2013
okpara ugo:

The wizard aspect aside, there is a stage you will reach, you wont fear to disclose anything to anyone. Not even tale-tell or bad wishes will stop your business.

Vanguard banner headline... ''Dangote to build a tomato plant in Edo state''.

Oya, where are the witches to stop him ?

Do you know if he's one of them??
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by warrior101: 7:53am On Jan 31, 2013
Chitexs250: cool cool cool cool

We are just who we are

And this is the answer to the whole questions in disguise. cool
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by blackbeau1(f): 8:23am On Jan 31, 2013
Because in Nigeria,we are always afraid of our next door neighbour.we believe everyone is out to get us,hence the reason why artiste like Timaya,who are always singing abt 'bad belle' are making it in Nigeria. Anyway,most of the time we are right to think our friends and neighbours are out to get us because they actually are
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by AjanleKoko: 9:57am On Jan 31, 2013
Superstition asides. There's also self-esteem issues.
Telling people about who you are, what you're planning, and what you're doing is usually not well-received.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jan 31, 2013
AjanleKoko: Superstition asides. There's also self-esteem issues.
Telling people about who you are, what you're planning, and what you're doing is usually not well-received.

another good one! Funny enough, they would do the same if they are in your shoes. #Hypocrisy again.

We get to see this even every day on nl.

Seriously, telling nigerians your issues is a waste of time and energy. I tell my parents and siblings about my plans cos i've studied them and i know they tell me things as they are. But nigerians? Hell no, they must to discourage you! Its in their blood. Its better to just discuss neutral issues when chatting with nigerians; nothing should be personal. I get along with other nationals though....but, it should still be limited. Your whole life shouldn't be like tv.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by Alleinad(f): 8:03am On Feb 01, 2013
2legit2qwt:

I learned from this thread as well, i got a better idea on how the mindsets of a lot of people work and their reasons for doing some of these things. Agreed, one has to tread with caution but not to the point of hiding away from people who could be of help to you
there is something about this mindset, it let's you trust no one. I hate it too, am transparent too but I have seen first hand the devastation of this mindset in my family. If you can't trust anyone, who is really close to you? You think you're close to them but to them, you're just another suspect ( guilty until proven innocent).
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by jbrodaly(m): 6:31pm On Feb 01, 2013
Alleinad: there is something about this mindset, it let's you trust no one. I hate it too, am transparent too but I have seen first hand the devastation of this mindset in my family. If you can't trust anyone, who is really close to you? You think you're close to them but to them, you're just another suspect ( guilty until proven innocent).
The funny thing is that when whatever they are doing hits the rock you might be the one they will ask to give help
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by tpia5: 7:06pm On Feb 01, 2013
black_beau: Because in Nigeria,we are always afraid of our next door neighbour.we believe everyone is out to get us,hence the reason why artiste like Timaya,who are always singing abt 'bad belle' are making it in Nigeria. Anyway,most of the time we are right to think our friends and neighbours are out to get us because they actually are

True that.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by tpia5: 7:07pm On Feb 01, 2013
Alleinad: there is something about this mindset, it let's you trust no one. I hate it too, am transparent too but I have seen first hand the devastation of this mindset in my family. If you can't trust anyone, who is really close to you? You think you're close to them but to them, you're just another suspect ( guilty until proven innocent).

True as well.

I assume the op opened the thread for reasons best known to him or her.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches by Nobody: 1:33pm On Feb 03, 2013
How did i skip your post sisi.....?

Sisi_Kill:
OP did not say he didn't know what his friend did for a living...seriously where did you get that from??!!

you are scratching my points from the surface instead of seeing the real point. he said he didn't know his friend was looking for a job. Now this is what you refused to grasp. He knows his friend's job, he knows what he studied at the college. How could he not have realised his job was below his qualification (cos that's the only reason why nigerians mostly switch jobs)? Why didn't he recommend him to his entrepreneur friend all this while? Okay i know he might have an excuse(a lie) for this as well, i'm all ears
Note that i still do not believe his friend is jobless......but he claims it and so be it.

Sisi_Kill: Not know his entrepenue friend was recruiting...again with the selective reading, where in the world did OP say that?!!
okay i hear again!

Sisi_Kill: He said he didn't know his friend was looking for a Job, if had known he might have helped considering he knew the person doing the recruiting!!!!! How's that hard to grasps?!!

You are trying so hard to make some logical deduction based on half-assed conclusions from selective reading...how does that work?!!
N.B: okay, my immediate post is not related to any other i've written earlier.

=>so after so many cheap twists to this story, lemme add my own.......thank God i have the time today.

So i get his friend wasn't jobless, he only wanted to switch smiley

then again his entrepreneur friend wasn't recruiting. Issorai grin. This means that he wasn't short-staffed in the first place, and that your friend was only trying his luck sef - okay that established (abi it's not like that again? You can correct me oo cheesy).

From the above, it means; even though your friend wasn't recruiting, you can still get your other friend the job notwithstanding. Hmmm....okay o.
So now that you know he was actually looking for a job in your close pal's establishment grin, have you gotten him the job? undecided after all it was not a mass recruitment, and you are already saying he lost the job!¿ It's never too late in this kinda scenerio, is it? undecided
i repeat again, you are a typical nigerian hypocrite!
. I'm waiting for mr op's defense o.

Okay okay, all these hypocrisy talks aside, op you need to admit that your story is a sham and there's no truth to it! We know the point of your topic is to discuss disclosure issues of nigerians but you really do not have to cook up a cheap loose story to drive home your point wink.
The problem with these kinds of story is that, you will continue to source for more lies to cover up the loose ends grin. But the advantage is that nigerians(as gullible as a 'gully valley' grin) easily believe such stories wink. Goodluck with your thread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Observations. The Igbos And Yorubas Tribe. Funny But True. / Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? / Spiritual Meanings Of Alligator Pepper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.